Close to quitting

I'm an old timer returning for the first time in a few years. game looks slick, I was really excited when I first started but a couple of weeks in and I've nearly had it.

I'm playing classic mode, I just want a game that isn't this insanely hard to play and lets me take Fulham to the champions league (i.e. unimaginable in RL but should feasible in FM), but for the life of me I can't stop conceding barrow loads of goals, mainly from crosses.

I've been reading various boards for days, I have the latest update, I've tried any combo of tactics, formations and advice on where to play various players. Still the same, I'm conceding goals and losing games I should never be coming close to losing.

Any advice, Ive read all the stuff about AI reacting to your tactics and what not, but I don't want to have to watch every game in it's entirety and I'm pretty close to packing this in and never playing again.

Help, this is my last hope, I'd just like a clean sheet or two and not be sitting there everytime I watch a highlight with the oppo about to cross another ball in thinking here we go and being proven right. It's been a pretty ***** game experience to be completely frank.

As per this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

We really need to know what sort of tactics you have been using. You've given us no information at all apart from the fact you concede from crosses. We need to know the whole shooting match of at least one tactic you have tried; Formation, Team Shape, Mentality, Roles, Duties plus and Team or Player Instructions.

4-2-3-1 CM's, 4-2-3-1 with DM's, 4-5-1, 433 you name it, trying them all. FB as ltd, CH as hold etc etc. Read detailed articles on mentality, trying and I can't keep a clean sheet for toffee.

it's just too kin hard, no matter what I do I can't keep a clean sheet, Im losing bucket loads of goals from crosses.

I'll take any advice here on a tactic that works, I'm seriously over this game which is a real shame as it has a lot of potential but it shouldn't be the difficult to get your team to stop conceding 5 at home all from crosses. It's mental.

Soirry for the rant.

You still aren't giving an indication of the Roles / Duties you are putting in these formations. They, along with Team and Player Instructions plus Mentality and Team Shape are key.

The purpose of this section of the forum isn't just to dish out a tactics that works regardless - because they don't exist. The purpose of this bit of the forum is to look at users' systems and suggest things that could improve how it performs.

Fair enough,

So

3-3-3-1 DM Wide

Gk - defend

3 * CD all on defend (tried playing with close down less, tackling harder to no effect)

2 * DM one as DM on defend, other as DM as deep lying playmaker

CM - on support

AML - Winger support

AMR - Advanced playmaker on attack

AMV - trequarista

Str - target man

tried playing with mentality and shape here, standard, defemsive. counter (Depening o oppo and away or at home)

Sam for shape, flexible and rigid.

Makes no odds.

I've tried playing

4-2-3-1 wide

CD one stopper and one cover, hold position

2 * full back on defend duty

2 * DM one as DM on defend, other as DM as deep lying playmaker

AML - Winger support

AMR - Advanced playmaker on attack

AMV - trequarista

Str - target man (this varies depending who I play there)

I've tried some others as well, nothing seems to work.

I've tried ultra defensive with this formation, mentality defensive, highly structured, drop deeper, be more discilined etc. makes no difference.

In a perfect world I'd play with wingers and have a fast counter attacking strategy, but gave that up very quickly as I was getting hammered. It feels liek when I go into defensive mode, I cede all possession and actually end up getting beat more. Just having a general gripe, but it shouldn't be this difficult to stop conceding from crosses, that's really what I'm after, I'll give up any pretence at attacking flair for a run of clean sheets at this stage.

Seriously, this game is beyond a joke. I've just been beaten 7-0 by a team below me in the league, playing that second formation.

45 shots ffs, I've played competitive football my whole life, it's not possible to have that many shots in a game with a team playng with effectively 6 defensive minded players in a team.

Seriously, this game is beyond a joke. I've just been beaten 7-0 by a team below me in the league, playing that second formation.

45 shots ffs, I've played competitive football my whole life, it's not possible to have that many shots in a game with a team playng with effectively 6 defensive minded players in a team.

How far into the season are you? I had the same issue playing a 4-1-2-2-1 using: 2 x CD's (defend), 2 x wing back's (support), 1 x Half Back, 1 x DLP (support), 1 x Adv Ply (attack), 1 x Winger (support), 1 x Inside Forward (attack) and 1 x Complete Forward.

I was conceding stupid goals to teams (and players) that should never have been able to rip my defence apart in the manner they did. I stuck with the formation and about early December it seemed to click and my defenders started keeping clean sheets (in the last 7 games I have kept 5 clean sheets and conceded 2 v Arsenal and 2 v Chelsea). My Defenders have gone from getting ratins somewhere in between 6.1 and 6.9 to 7.6 to 8.6.

Don't change your formation too much too often and be patient and it will click. Also, make sure you have the highest % of match training possible and set to "Tactics Only" until all of the formation indicators are at least at accomplished.

Obviously something you are doing isn't right. So, if you just sit back with 6 defensive minded players that give up tons of space, teams will get a lot of shots off.I can tell you that you are leaving massive holes in the middle of the pitch that is probably getting exploited. You have four men way high up on the pitch, and your two DMs are sitting deep. You might be okay with giving up offense, but with a setup like that, you are asking to get battered imo. One of the reasons you need an attack is to at least keep the other guys busy :D. You have got to get one of those DMs playing a bit higher up on the pitch and your fullbacks too. Where are your passing outlets when you get the ball back in your half? Crosses are tough in the current ME, I'll grant you, but we all have to deal with them.

My advice off the top is look at Llama's Pairs and Combinations article stickied at the top. I use that as a guide for all my tactic setups, and while it won't necessarily make your team a title challenger, I can almost guarantee that if you follow the guidelines there, you will get better football.

Lastly, I would say that if you want to play a fast counter strategy with wingers, then you should keep working at it. It is entirely possible to do. You need to get the right mix of roles and duties for your squad. To link up with wingers that high up on the pitch you will have to have some players moving into the middle, be it a DM that goes forward more, or your fullbacks. At any rate, don't give up hope. Many of us were at the rage quit point at one time or another in our FM careers :)

I just want a game that isn't this insanely hard to play and lets me take Fulham to the champions league (i.e. unimaginable in RL but should feasible in FM)

Any advice, Ive read all the stuff about AI reacting to your tactics and what not, but I don't want to have to watch every game in it's entirety and I'm pretty close to packing this in and never playing again.

Help, this is my last hope, I'd just like a clean sheet or two and not be sitting there everytime I watch a highlight with the oppo about to cross another ball in thinking here we go and being proven right. It's been a pretty ***** game experience to be completely frank.

Oh, another one of those posts. My post is not meant to bash on you, but I can't really help you if you don't change your mindset. My first advice would be to relax, take a break, and try to be objective in your observations. Getting frustrated is a vicious circle.

Second, reconsider your expectations. I mean, FM is getting closer and closer to being a simulation of the real thing, so why in the world should it be easier than IRL to be bringing Fulham into the CL? Okay, that being said, it's true that in the game you can sometimes achieve incredible things with weaker teams, but for that you need some luck and a great deal of WORK. You know, that old fashioned thing we all used to do? Seriously, do you think being a successful manager is about setting and forgetting a couple of tactical systems that seem to make sense for your team? And watching only the big moments of your team's games? For sure, it can work, but you're going to need a lot of luck or some magical miracle to happen. Playing this game has been more difficult in recent years, but it's just more realistic IMO. And if you want to magically overachieve and not really manage a team you can always play FIFA15 on the beginner mode (or whatever mode is the easiest).

I really hope you can turn things around because FM is a fantastic game and I'm sure, in time, if you learn to play it the right way, you will love it.

Archived