Roma front three

Having just watched the Juve/Roma game, I was intrigued to see how people would replicate the way the Roma front 3 work.

As I can see, there would be a number of ways it *could* be done:

1. AML (Gervinho, IF(a)), STC (Totti, F9/Trequartista), AMR (Iturbe/Florenzi (IF(a))

2. STCL (Gervinho (DLF(a)), possibly with an instruction to run wide), STC (Totti, F9/Trequartista), STCR (Iturbe (AF(a))

3. AMCL (Gervinho (SS)), AMC (Totti (Trequartista)), AMCR (Iturbe (SS)/Florenzi (AM(s)))

4. AML (Gervinho, IF(a)), AMC (Totti, Trequartista), AMR (Iturbe/Florenzi (IF(a)) - this could even be done with the two wider players pushed forward into the ST strata.

I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks :)

From what I've found (and I've been attempting to recreate their style of play since the start of the season) the only way to replicate the fluidity of their front 3 is to play them as 3 narrow AMCs. Also, Roma genuinely play without a striker most of the time. Occasionally you can see Totti more advanced as a False 9 of sorts but it's not that often.

This is how I have it set up:

AMCL - Gervinho (SS/AM-A) AMC - Totti (Treq) AMCR - Florenzi (SS/AM-A)

It's worth noting that when Iturbe playing he's generally a lot wider than Gervinho and doesn't roam into the centre as often so I would play him in as an AML/R depending on where you want him to play.

Another thing is the Mentality. I've seen the best football while playing Very Fluid but Roma's wing-backs play very advanced (especially Maicon) and this is best created on Balanced. So it depends on what your top priority is there.

Archived