4-5-1 Tactic Help

2 CWB seems quite overkill will leave you exposed on the flanks quite a lot. And they will fight for the same space as the Wingers. If you want to use an CWB you need an IF , AP or someone that cuts inside so that the CWB can overlap.

Your striker will get isolated. None of you CMs will get in the box to support the attack.

A BWM in the DM strata will only leave you exposed since he will close down quite a lot.

At least one of the wingers if not both need to be on Attack so they get a bit more aggressive take defender on and offer some penetration.

Also you didnt specify any Team Instructions or Player Instructions.

I wouldnt call this a 4-5-1 its more a 4-3-3.

This tactic means open flanks and a massive hole in the middle behind the lonely stranded striker.

I much prefer fluid 4-5-1s with MR and ML on the flanks (they help a lot in defending even if set to an attack role) and a triangle with two AMs (AM(S), AM(A)in the middle behind the striker) with a CM(D) encouraged to play short+safe behind them.

Think that could work for you as well.

There's nothing wrong with the shape of the formation, this can work really well if set up properly..

A few issues:

- You've got a target man (attack) by himself. That can lead to lots of isolation. Either get those AML/AMR's to better support him as inside forwards, or figure out a different role/duty that won't see him so isolated. If you're using a lone striker generally you want to use a support duty, however because you have AML/AMR (which are essentially wide forwards) if you get the right supply to the striker you can use an attack duty to perfection. Just watch how it's working and tweak.

- I wouldn't have wingbacks + wingers. They tend to all be doing the same thing, there's no variety to your attacking moves at all. And, they might get in each other's way. You'd benefit from changing those wingers to inside forwards, or doing 1 winger 1 inside forward + 1 full back 1 wingback. Asymmetry is good!

- The automatic duty in central midfield is strange to me. You need players to support your striker so I'd suggest an attacking duty there. Ideally in any tactic that uses a lone striker you'd want supply to come from 1 outside source, 1 middle source, and 1 defensive source. So think like.. maybe CM-A / W-A / FB-A just as an example. I always try to keep 1 attack duty in each band of the team (defense, midfield, attack)

- The 2 DM's are not going to provide enough cover for your very aggressive wingbacks in your current set up. The BWM is constantly moving about and the DM-S loves to dart forward. You need a real holding player back there. If you're keen on using 2 DM's, then I'd suggest 1 as a playmaker and 1 as a holder. Maybe DM-D + DLP-S ?

Hope this helps.

If people are genuinely confused as to how tactics are supposed to work the best thing to do is to go and read through all the stickied threads in the forum main page. That's how I've learned (I only started FM in 2012!) And then the rest is trial and error. Dont be hesitant to do some quick new saves to try stuff out.

If people are genuinely confused as to how tactics are supposed to work the best thing to do is to go and read through all the stickied threads in the forum main page. That's how I've learned (I only started FM in 2012!) And then the rest is trial and error. Dont be hesitant to do some quick new saves to try stuff out.

I'll check them out. I changed what you said (I think) and this is what I'm playing with right now http://puu.sh/atSg9/1f3d414f21.jpg

We've done fairly well, 6th place in the League and we just won the League Cup. Only 7 points back from 4th with 2 games in hand.

I'll check them out. I changed what you said (I think) and this is what I'm playing with right now http://puu.sh/atSg9/1f3d414f21.jpg

We've done fairly well, 6th place in the League and we just won the League Cup. Only 7 points back from 4th with 2 games in hand.

This looks great! Only gripe I'd have is the TM-S as a striker. Make sure he's getting the proper supply, and not being too isolated. If so, consider using a player that is more likely to drop deep like a DLF-S or F9. The idea there is that your IF's will cut inside and use the space that is created when the central striker drops deep.

And it's worth pointing out that in this system, a true 4-3-3 the two AML/AMR are basically wide strikers. So, don't expect them to be defensively solid, rather, they should be pressing the opposition fullbacks and acting as goal threats (while the main striker links play and drops deeper).

Archived