'The Return of Zemanlandia'

I think that I'm getting closer, but it still requires some tinkering.

You can't play rigid because players aren't willing to move between the lines as Zeman would want and I find the transitions to be too slow and lacking in the type of fast passing that is desired. I've been working with fluid and balanced. Zeman's best teams seem to have been fluid, but last week Cagliari looked more balanced which could be down to the players not having fully assimilated the nuances of the system. I seem to remember this being the case when he began at Pescara.

Getting this to work well requires fast direct forwards in at least 2 of the 3 slots. It helps if at least one of the midfielders is adept at threading a nice pass. This doesn't have to be the center player I don't think. I've gone back and looked at a bunch of videos and the only real Regista that he's ever had was Varetti at Pescara who would drop back between the two central defenders to get the ball. All of the rest were more like traditional DM's who were given more or less freedom seemingly based on their creative ability. Conti doesn't seem to be a playmaker to me, but I could be wrong.

If I had to say create something based upon last week I would say that it would look like this.

Contol/Balanced

SK - D

WB ® - A

CB - D

CB - D

WB (l) - A

B2B - S

A - D

B2B - S

IF ® - A

CF - A

IF (l) - A

The key to making this work would seem to be team and player instructions. Zeman has said that his method stays the same, but will look different based upon the quality and ability of the players. When I get this right I will post again.

I'm at my whits end with this. One game will go well and the next will be a complete abomination versus the same opponent and using the same tactic.

I've modified the aforementioned MJ tactic a bit more and it plays closer the Zeman than anything that I've been able to come up with.

I want to enjoy the last couple of months of FM 14, so I think that I'm done with this project.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the entire match vs. Hellas Verona yesterday, and Cagliari played nothing like previous Zeman teams. Whether this is down to his instructions or his players inability to adjust to what he's asking them to do is open to question, but they were slower in the build up and seemed more like a counter-attacking side.

The one thing that that they still exhibited was defensive fragility. Zeman clearly doesn't practice this aspect of the game much, if at all.

I can see his stay at Cagliari ending soon.

• 4 weeks later...
I watched the entire match vs. Hellas Verona yesterday, and Cagliari played nothing like previous Zeman teams. Whether this is down to his instructions or his players inability to adjust to what he's asking them to do is open to question, but they were slower in the build up and seemed more like a counter-attacking side.

The one thing that that they still exhibited was defensive fragility. Zeman clearly doesn't practice this aspect of the game much, if at all.

I can see his stay at Cagliari ending soon.

I watched the match vs. Ac Milan yesterday, and yes, compared to that Roma in Roma-Inter 1998/1999 there's little in common. Slower tempo, less off ball movements, less closing down, also less high defence line, but showed a more solid defence. Don't know whether he changed, or Cagliari players are not good enough, or they've not learned Zeman's football yet.

About that match.. what a variety of attacking movements, synchrony, tempo !!! Wonderful.

So I agree with you, his football (that we can see in that Roma-Inter) is impossible to replicate not only with FM, but with whatever simulation game, and probably in real life too :D.

Hoping to get this thread going again with the advent of FM 2015, looking at the PI's there is much more variation in pressing instructions and the match engine seems to allow for more complex movements and flowing football. Any help very much appreciated :-)

Honestly I don't think he plays that way.. Also it's not common that both Full Backs stay high on the pitch at the same time, and I cannot reproduce this using attacking FB/WB/CWB, 'cause in fm15 they both go further forward too early :/

EDIT:

I have to add that Inside Forwards/Attack don't participate that much in the defensive phase. Zeman's teams are, after all, much more compact.. maybe unbalanced in many moments but there is little distance between departments.

Archived