Play against striker partnership

My team is playing with 4-4-2. I note that they are struggling against 2 strikers. I know that my central defenders are not good enough to cope with them. I have tried to recreate a three-man defensive line with one FB tucking in without ball which I have seen in real life. However, I failed to recreate it. Is it really possible in FM?

Playing a Limited Full Back can help - otherwise simply going 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 is the best answer for this type of problem. Marcelo Bielsa famously always uses a spare man at the back - so if his opponents play 2 up front he uses 3 centre-backs etc etc

Pulling one of your CMs back to DM and setting him on Half Back role helps, he drops back to create a back 3. Make sure he has minimum closing down instructions and ease off tackles so he becomes the spare man back there.

Pulling one of your CMs back to DM and setting him on Half Back role helps, he drops back to create a back 3. Make sure he has minimum closing down instructions and ease off tackles so he becomes the spare man back there.

Yeah I have thought about it, but I don't want to change formation as it doesn't suit my team.

You can ask a full back to sit narrower possibly (I cannot remember if the option is possible or not)

Does a Limited Full Back has low closing down on deflaut?I don't want him charging forward or drifting wide against a winger.

Also, does it make sense to has a Defensive Winger or Wide Midfielder covering that flank?

It will have a default level of closing down (same as centre-backs) - a DW or WM can help but it is pointless to play a Limited Full Back & Defensive Winger on same flank. It is crazy.

It will have a default level of closing down (same as centre-backs) - a DW or WM can help but it is pointless to play a Limited Full Back & Defensive Winger on same flank. It is crazy.

Yes there would be no penatration on that flank.

But with FB tucking in, there is no one defending that flank if I have an out and out Winger, so it is quite tricky.

Interesting tactical quirk there. Nice to see something a bit different.

I am also surprised at how great it is. Before the change, my CDs were constantly beaten by 2 strikers. It is a completely different game after the change. I thought a narrower formation provide better defence in the expense of attacking but it doesn't. Actually it create space for my DW and DF.

Archived