opposition instructions (mourinho / AI)

Right i dont get much time these days to play FM or fiddle about with tactics. Consider me a tactical magpie, i dont want to replicate real life tactics i want to play on the same level as the AI, or close as as i can get.

After failing to discover any route into tactical setup i decided to look into getting the best out of Assistants. If you are one of the people who believes Assistants cant do anything right, this thread is not for you. Enough of rambling lets get to the facts

Newcastle squad default - Assistant mr Mourinho

default 4231 balanced / standard formation

Achievement: 4th place in the league - cups nothing worth noting

Findings (hopefully this is interesting and im not wasting anyones time)

before kick off

• No matter the formation all midfielders with acceleration and pace < 18 were closed down always
  • Against 442 - one of the two strikers was tight marked
  • weaker foot set on anyone in midfield or attack where appropriate. players capable of playing with either foot no point
  • AMC tight marking always set
  • 4231 formations - lone striker would be tight marked 9 out of 10 times
  • 451 or 41221 inferior side no tight marking
  • forward line and mids - hard tackled

as early as minute 2

• both fullbacks or wing backs would be assigned hard tackling
  • 3 man defences - central defender would be closed down always
  • 4231 - on occasions one of the central defenders would be closed down often

player with acceleration and pace

• no tight marking
  • no closing down left at default

the player would usually ran havoc by 15th minute and would be set to close down always

Mourinho vs Moyes

Moyes starting off ignored the defence completely - no instructions

no tight marking set either at kick off

Assumptions (cant find a pattern)

Tight marking is set to players form. I just cant figure out why either manager tight marks specific players

ive seen mourinho tight mark 2 attacking midfields in a 4231

ive seen him tight mark all 3 and striker

ive seen moyes tight mark - MCs and wingers on occasions

but more often than not players marked seem to be on form from my experience.

Now has anyone conducted a test like this ? I cant be the only one surely ? Anyone any findings

Now i havent been playing long using this method but i managed to get 4th place season 1 with Norwich. thank you for your time

I'm not sure this makes any sense honestly. I don't use OI's (because I'm on FMC) and I didn't use them much on the full mode either, as they are a pain to deal with and can often conflict with other instructions.

My advice would be to ignore OI's unless you really know what you're doing and feel like you want to use them. Obviously showing a player onto his weaker foot or something simple like that is helpful at times but, it's probably unnecessary.

Think of it this way. If OI's were a critical part of FM, wouldn't they be included in FMC, seeing as FMC uses the exact same match engine and all that?

Well as FMC is partly made for 'beginners', it would make sense removing an advanced option from FMC. The match engine is still the same, they just removed the OI part. Since neither you or the opponent can use OI's, the engine will still be balanced ;)

The test is still interesting, although a bit on the 'cheaty' side. I would be extremely interested in knowing what kind of instructions 'super' managers like Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Pellegrini, etc, are using against me! A bit like in real life, where this aspect is a bit more obvious :D

You can't find out what instructions they use as there not set until the game actually starts and the AI is reactive so will always be changing as the game goes on. Even OI's will be changed during the game if needed and you can't see the changes that the AI does and when. The only way to find out what instructions are being used is if someone created a real time tactics capture programme which will never happen.

I Know, but I think the op means that he has Mourinho as his assistant, and that he lets him do the OI so as to see if he can detect a pattern in Mourinhos application of OI's... The idea, I suppose, is to 'learn' some of Mourinhos tricks. Not a fullblown 'tactic grabber' by any means, but still a funny way of getting valuable info if you're into that sort of thing. Goes beyond formation and role/duty selection :)

Whether you had Mourinho or Warnock they'd both tend to pick the same OI's regardless :)

wasn't the case when i had moyes as assistant ;)

EDIT: should expand on the above. I know majority will find OI's complicated and not worth while due in my opinion to micro managing the tactical side. this approach isnt for me, just dont have the time.

bababooey mentioned that weaker foot was helpful on occasions but probably unnecessary. I agree to a degree but i dont want to take a chance . If it works 1 time out of 10 shots on goal its still worth it in my opinion.

whilst doing a bit more research / analysis. Mourinho vs west brom and their 442 . Decided to close down Jonas Olsson. Now as a decent centre back - i cannot see where he can hurt me technically. He is strong , brave , aggressive so i dont get it.

The only thing i could see is that he is somewhat on the slow side. Acceleration 8 and pace 10. Was this so that my lone striker would target him ?

I have never done this in the game, myself.

Never really used OI's myself either, but find it interesting to see what the games best managers would use against me. The small test performed above apparently also show a different approach by different managers.

Either way, I'm was about to start experimenting with positional OI's to generate hotspot pressure trickers in different areas of the pitch. The idea behind was to try and recreate some 'gegenpressing' performed by Barca, Dortmund, etc... That would be NO hassle opponents, but instead high closing down, hard tackling in IE opponents DM strata, or both fullback positions, or the central mids. Not decided on positions yet as this will also in part be determined by the opponents strengths and weaknesess.

Press high and hard when we loose the ball high upfield, and if we fail to regain possesion by this first-hand pressure, then fall back and retain formation for a more solid defence. There's also the option of tight marking all of right flank, so forcing the opponents to build up down the left flank, that you could then put under hard pressure with aggressive players closing down and tackling hard. Again with positional OI's... Haven't figured it out completely yet, and haven't had the guts to try it out yet as we're entering the last 15 games of the season in a hard congested league :D

Archived