Looking for some advice: Struggling against the smaller teams, but beating the big ones?

I've just started a save with Everton, aiming for a 5th or 6th place league finish. I'm only just into the season but I've hit some issues. We started off strong, beating Swansea and West Ham 2-0 and 3-0 respectively, but since then I've yet to beat a smaller team, losing 2-1 to Stoke and Norwich and drawing against Newcastle, Aston Villa and Fulham. Despite this I was able to beat Barcelona and Atletico Madrid in the preseason, and just smashed Tottenham 3-0 in the league. I'm not sure if it's the team's mentality or my tactics letting me down but I just cannot get my team to turn up against the smaller teams. What team instructions and mentalities must I start using against these teams? They're dominating possession, shots, you name it. I play a 4-2-3-1 most every match. I can post screenshots of the team if needed, does anyone have any advice?

Your tactics are probably good vs better sides, for example counter attacking, however when you face a smaller team they sit back and pick you off

What he said... Try easing back a bit against sides that 'dig in' to lure them more forward. Several players are having succes playing even defensive mentalities as opposed to control/attacking against smaller sides. This will give your players more space and time to patiently probe opp. defence.

It's very hard to break down 10 man just outside their box if you're playing an ultra fast, high pressing game as all players (yours and theirs) will be in, or just around the box, making the final third a severely crowded area with no space for 'pass into space' balls, dribbles or whatever which usually leads to the dreaded longshot solution. My guess is you're having an obscene amount of shots fired against the smaller sides?

Archived