Why does Romulo fail his Work Permit?

He's clearly a quality player. I'd assume it's due to his lack of playtime for Brazil, but doesn't the work permit committee make allowances for top/top prospct players, or players with situations preventing them playing, injuries mainly.

In Romulo's case, he's both situations covered, both quality and his lack of apps due to a cruciate injury.

Work Permit criteria in the UK is something like "played in at least 75% of all 'A' team international matches over the past 2 years for a country ranked in the top 70 in the world" (may not be this exactly)

Exceptions can be made, but there's no set criteria as far as I know, but it's about whether having this player in the country would benefit the country as a whole - eg financially etc

It's strange though, about two weeks before I went for him, I picked up three Brazilian regens, and one Colombian one, all were granted work permits on appeal. Now, two of them are below 18, and won't join for one and two years respectively, one actually turns 18 during the window and will join in a week, and the other a 19 year old joined straight away.

Balanta had no trouble picking up a work permit, and he couldn't be any more known than Romulo, or is it that he's a potential world class CB why he got in? I though Romulo was a top rated youth too, though...

Are you offering a lower squad status? Often approvals happen more often with a higher squad status and a higher wage.

I can't remember now, I'm sure it was First Team Player(it was whatever he asked for), I'll take another punt and make sure it's set to Key Player.

• 2 weeks later...
Completely and utterly false.

The squad status and wage offered to a player has absolutely no effect on whether or not they receive a work permit.

As Aaron Armstrong up above said, a player has to have "played in at least 75% of all 'A' team international matches over the past 2 years for a country ranked in the top 70 in the world" or be viewed as an exceptional prospect.

My best guess would be that Romulo at 23 (or possibly slightly older depending on when you're signing him) is too old to fall under the second criteria or being an exceptional prospect, and hasn't played enough international games to qualify that way.

Completely and utterly true. I have offered a player a higher squad status and he was accepted on that criteria, also a higher wage often helps. It has been tested and discussed on these forums and it does seem to have some effect. If you offer said exceptional prospect too low a status or too low a wage, they can be turned down on that basis.

Archived