How to avoid long shots?

I know the obvious slider setting, but besides that...

No matter how I play, I always seem to get the feedback that syas that we are getting shots, but they are far out, so they are not a threat (or similar). How do I avoid all of my semi-chances being wasted on long shots by mediocre players?

There are a lot of factors what determe the decision a player makes. For example:

- The slider (You allready have set it to never, so this should be allright)

- A PPM like ''Shoots from distance'' for example. Even with the slider for longshots set to 'never', the player will still look to get a shot at goal.

If the players has this PPM, try to unlearn it, or try to learn the PPM 'Looks for pass instead of shot'.

- Passing options. If there aren't any good options for the player, he might have to take a shot. Try getting a closer look on the moments where a player shoots from distance. Are there no good passing options? Does the player on the ball have the ability to play/see the pass.

- Some other sliders. Read on a thread somewhere here an article about the slider 'time wasting'. The article said the slider isn't only there to waste time in the final seconds of the game, but it also controls the time players take to create an attack. For example: A team with the 'time wasting'-slider set to the minimum-side, will look to get quick attacks, meaning players will look for longshots more often.

I hope I helped you a little bit ;)

Yeah I agree with ivoke. Many individual attributes effect the outcome of an attack.

1. Decisions attribute. Low and they'll make the poor choice (pass or shoot).

2. Team work. Similar to decisions, if it's low they'll go for glory.

3. Personality and individuals. PPMs, sliders etc. A PPM of runs with ball often will deter passing and shooting while looks for pass will encourage it.

4. Team mate's positions. Even if they're the most creative player with high passing, technique and decisions they can't play a pass if there aren't any players in a position to pass to. Make sure your players are being intelligent with movement and they aren't static.

Totally agree with the above.

High creative freedom also sometimes seem to cause the player to take too many long shots if they are super-psyched-up. You can either lower the CF and/or try and calm them down at half time. My captain likes to do this when he gets fired up.

A high attacking mentality coupled with no options for a pass can also exacerbate the problem.

Reduce the creative freedom, if you use wingers avoid the cut inside ppm, and of course turn it off with the sliders.

I "kinda" control it that way, but you have to check the movement and see if your lines of pass are open, all of this works in conjunction, I am now in 2023 and finally got a good balance on it.

Watch your matches and rewind when it seems the long shot wasn't the better option.

Archived