Charles Montgomery Burns Football Manager

Last season it was almost easy to win in ANY league with a wage budget that never exceeded £3.5m. It did get harder later on if you didn't find enough high end regens but, it was DOABLE. Heck, I even managed it with Leeds at £2.8m. This year, i don't even know if it's possible to do it by spending less than £5m per season. Players are determined to get high appearance, clean sheet or goalscoring bonuses and pretty much every decent player wants over a 100 grand even if they're only earning £20k-£50k where they are.

Right now i'm at Arsenal and i'm spending £5,709,018 per month and whilst i could maybe knock that down a little i know that in another year about 8 players will be banging on my door asking for another £200k on top of their monthly wage (along with bonuses).

I suppose this is a fair reflection of how awful the money game has gotten in football.

Anyway, what's the lowest wage budget you've had in a top flight league winning side?

I think I had around £500k pr week when I won the Premier League with Forest Green, but it's not like I was desperately trying to spend low on wages, as quite a few had received hefty increases in wages that season. The first season in the league I managed 5th or 6th, and was spending around £250k pr week IIRC.

For this to be possible I think you need a low rep club winning promotion with a bunch of young but excellent newgens. Starting out with Arsenal even your youngest players would earn more than my Forest Green star playmaker and captain did in the first season.

Archived