To Loan or not to loan...that is the question....

Ok,

The situation is this:

18 year old Brazilian youngster who is not quite ready for the first time, but has good potential. I have the opportunity to send him out on loan to either a Spanish feeder (thus getting him Spanish Nationality in 2 and a half seasons), sending him out year on year to a British feeder (thus letting him get used to the British-style football) or keeping him at my Club (Man United)

The question is this:

I'm concerned that if I send him out on loan to either option, he's not going to be counted in my "home grown" quota, as even though he is owned by me, he's not been "present" in the clubs ranks and training facilities so won't gain that status - is this right or can I freely send them out on loan with no problems?

To become home-grown the player needs to stay at your club continuously for 3 full seasons.

A word of warning - the chance of a Brazilian 18year-old becoming homegrown for Champions League is very slim. The way the game has programmed the homegrown feature, he needs to be born after 25th of June and even then there is a chance he will only becomne home-grown for Premier League registration and not CL.

If he doesn't play every match with good ratings for his loan club, and the league isn't higher rated than his CA, he is unlikely to improve more than if you keep him at the club and play him in some cup matches and easy league matches.

I only tend to loan players out if I don't think I can develop them anymore and there isn't a place for them in the first team at present. At 18 you can still affect his development massively, and maybe give him the odd substitue appearance here and there to aid that development further.

He will benefit more by staying with you, and of course he has no chance of gaining home grown status if you loan him out.

So by keeping at the club, playing him in the odd easy league/cup matches and having him tutored by another player, he is more likely to develop better than playing 1st team football for a lower league club? (this is aside from the whole home-grown issue)

So by keeping at the club, playing him in the odd easy league/cup matches and having him tutored by another player, he is more likely to develop better than playing 1st team football for a lower league club? (this is aside from the whole home-grown issue)

Yes. By keeping him at your club you can specifically target attributes to train that will benefit how you want to play. And by getting him the right tutor you can almost certainly ensure he has a good personality.

On another note, why would you only play him in easy games? There's nothing wrong with giving young players 20mins here on there in bigger matches.

Yes. By keeping him at your club you can specifically target attributes to train that will benefit how you want to play. And by getting him the right tutor you can almost certainly ensure he has a good personality.

On another note, why would you only play him in easy games? There's nothing wrong with giving young players 20mins here on there in bigger matches.

I'm not against playing him in bigger matches - as a general rule of thumb, any team 15th or lower in the League gets a 2nd string team against it (squad players, those enroute back from injury, promising youngsters etc) and in the cup, pretty much until I get drawn against Chelsea, L'pool, Noisy Neighbours City, Spurs or Arsenal. The issue that i come across sometimes is that im trying to cater for if the 1st XI aren't performing, I'd rather have someone on the bench who I know could turn the game rather than an unknown quality...

I'm not against playing him in bigger matches - as a general rule of thumb, any team 15th or lower in the League gets a 2nd string team against it (squad players, those enroute back from injury, promising youngsters etc) and in the cup, pretty much until I get drawn against Chelsea, L'pool, Noisy Neighbours City, Spurs or Arsenal. The issue that i come across sometimes is that im trying to cater for if the 1st XI aren't performing, I'd rather have someone on the bench who I know could turn the game rather than an unknown quality...

But then again what if that unknown quantity scores a hattrick from the bench?

If you personally feel a player is capable then have faith in him, regardless of age.

Archived