Winger Support

I love the idea of playing with a winger with the support duties on. From what i understand a winger support is a player who should hug the touchline and get crosses in from deep or when ever possible. As i play with one winger as in Inside forward on the opposite side i want a winger support to cross in the dangerous balls.

First question. If my winger support only has a crossing attribute or 12 should i not bother playing him as winger support until he improves?(he is only 20 years old and i have his crossing on high intensity training)

Second question. If i have a winger support and an inside forward attack on the field, imploying an advanced forward or poacher aswell would that make sense or should i play a deep lying forward so the inside forward can get in the box more?

I have tried these two see if it works but it is all hit and miss at the moment as my team is under a bad run and morale isnt the best so i cannot look at the results in a serious way and blame my front three. In my eyes having a front three that works and is prolific is the most important part of the game when operating in a 4-1-2-2-1 system.

Any feedback on winger support roles and front three tactics would help me alot. thanks again

The winger would need options, so a poacher making a run to the near post while the inside forward attacks the far makes sense (assuming your IF has decent aerial ability). Someone in a slightly advanced central midfield position as a short outlet infield wouldn't be a bad shout either.

Second question. If i have a winger support and an inside forward attack on the field, imploying an advanced forward or poacher aswell would that make sense or should i play a deep lying forward so the inside forward can get in the box more?

The front three in my 4-5-1 is an inside forward attack, complete forward support, and winger support. It works quite well, the inside forward gets into the box, and the winger often crosses to the complete forward, or to the inside forward at the far post :)

Winger with support duty does not hug the touchline, attack duty does. Regarding your 1st question, it depends on his other attribute as well. If he's not good at crossing but he's really fast for example, he might get pass his marker easily and send dangerous ball to your striker. Another example is creativity & decisions attribute. If he's a clever footballer he will able to unleash your striker with a good through ball since winger support does try through ball often too. You'll need to give screen shot for more precise.

For your 2nd question, I use AML inside fwd attack, ST poacher and AMR winger support with AMC adv playmaker behind them and they're working very well. However that's using 4-2-3-1 formation and I'm not sure about your formation. Maybe use a complete fwd with attack duty will work better because he'll drop deep more often but you'll need a correct player for that

Winger with support duty does not hug the touchline, attack duty does. Regarding your 1st question, it depends on his other attribute as well. If he's not good at crossing but he's really fast for example, he might get pass his marker easily and send dangerous ball to your striker. Another example is creativity & decisions attribute. If he's a clever footballer he will able to unleash your striker with a good through ball since winger support does try through ball often too. You'll need to give screen shot for more precise.

For your 2nd question, I use AML inside fwd attack, ST poacher and AMR winger support with AMC adv playmaker behind them and they're working very well. However that's using 4-2-3-1 formation and I'm not sure about your formation. Maybe use a complete fwd with attack duty will work better because he'll drop deep more often but you'll need a correct player for that

thanks for the reply agentvinz. i cant upload a screenshot at the moment as am in work but will do so when i can. ive took your guidance onboard regarding he doesnt hug the touchline which i have notcied whilst playing. i am thinking about changing my tactics and dropping my DM defend and moving him into a AM but i will have alook at pre season and see how i do. thanks again for the reply.

Archived