Is making players angry ever a good thing?

A few times now at half time when leading a pretty even game I have warned my team against complacency in the team talk, and have been met with an angry reaction. Yet on these occasions the team often play much better in the second half and go on to put the game beyond doubt.

Is this happening in spite of my team talk or because of it?

I can see why getting players angry may induce a positive reaction on the pitch ("I'm going to prove him wrong"). Is that red downwards arrow misleading?

Similarly, when telling players to "relax", "no pressure" etc. the players often "seem relaxed", accompanied by a green arrow. Is having players relaxed on the pitch always a good thing?

I usually just say "let him be angry" when I warn against complacency at half-time. This response has never resulted in a reaction after the match iirc. One or a few players being angered at not being cuddled with is not a problem.

And no, "seems relaxed" is not necessarily a good thing. It is all down to context, and in some matches they may lack concentration without the manager putting some pressure on them.

So red and green arrows can actually be a bit misleading yes. Team talks only last around 10 minutes into each half, so it might be a good idea to plan longer than that, for instance by telling them to avoid complacency even at 1-0, since they might get complacent already at 2-0 and if you score that goal in the 46th minute and the opponent manager said the right thing -they- might get fired up even more while your players drop down a notch and you may lose points because of that.

i dunno, i have had great success using underdog at start, (relaxed) getitng a lead into half time, then warning of complaceny, and pracing the players who show red.

i always thought that relaxed might add a bit to composure

It does, but it can also remove focus ;)

Archived