FM12 : Fulham FC Thread - Just Beat It

elgreenio

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - my Frei doesnt look even close to the one in elgreenio's picture. I don't think he has improved at all during the first season for me. Kasami and Briggs are improving well though. Niang is doing fine as well (got him for 6M in Jan first season) and he has improved a lot, I would not sell him for 10M in my save (wouldn't even sell for 20) so I would recommend picking him up.

Thanks for the youngsters screenshots elgreenio

I've just tried getting Arshavin on the cheap £350k but he wants too much wonga. Transfer window just ended, currently lying 6th. I like to think of myself as an established top 10 PL team now and to be fair, Newcastle have been riding high the last couple of seasons too.

So into Season 2 and to be honest with you im not actually happy with who I have signed. They might come good in a few years but I don’t feel the players match the way I play particularly so may have to change things about a bit tactically. My line up in general is-

Begovic

Baird

Briggs

Senderos

Hangeland

Ruiz

Tabanou

Modise

Rasmus Elm

Wilfried

Welbeck

Subs-

Hughes

Diogo

Lodeiro

Shaquiri

Dos Santos

Zamora

Schwarzer

I won the Olympics by the way with team GB... which can only be good for the CV. Anyway I have played 4 league games so far. Lost 2-1 away to Chelsea in game 1, i then went on to beat Blackpool at home 4-3 which was way too close for comfort, the next league match was a 1-1 away draw to Norwich City, courtesy of an own goal by Wilfried in the final minute. The last league game was a poor result at home 1-1 to Stoke City which i really should have won. In Europe i drew in the final qualifying round, Feyenoord which i thought was a bit harsh considering i was seeded. Anyway i won 2-0 away and 1-0 at home. In the league draw i was a second seed and am up against, Maribor, Sporting Lisbon and someone else who i have forgotten as i am at work. oops. A fairly decent draw i feel.

Anyway onwards and upwards. Still focusing on bringing youth in, and my u18s this year look decent and are top of their league so far. I need to improve my first teams league results and that will be the aim for the next 10 games to get the team right.

OFFICIAL UPDATE - SEASON 3(2013-2014) games 16-30

Hello all Fulham fans and friends. Hope we are all ok! Fingers crossed for 3 points @ The Emirates later on today. Anyway, onto more important matters.

Here at Craven Cottage, the life of a manager has it's ups and downs. After finishing a credible 5th in Season 2, something just doesn't feel quite right this time around at the 30 game mark.

Form has been inconsistent and I currently lie in 6th position. We aren't good enough for a top 4 finish and with the impressive Newcastle holding firm in 5th, a EURO cup spot is questionable, particularly as we have a tricky run of games at the end of the season.

S3U2EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-5.png

Sigporsson has been scoring along with Bobby but I really need to address the situation with the defence next year. Centre backs are a priority, and fast ones. ALso, finances are NOT looking good so I don't think I have a choice but to offload players at the end of the season and hope that the youngsters can come up to the plate next season.

PS IF we went to another club, does that mean we have to leave the thread?!

Fulham FC

End of Season 1 Review

Welcome to my first EVER season review. I’ve been quietly watching the thread and using the advice so decided that it was time I gave something back!

Formations

Normal | Backup

Transfers

I made some handy buys over the first two windows, also got shot of any youth or reserve team deadwood with less than 2* potential. Pretty major staff changes

Season 1 Signings

Staff …Leading to… Coaching

Competitions

Premier League – 5th Place

I’m really happy with a 5th place in season 1. Poor showing from Arsenal & Liverpool helped (for some reason Liverpool fielded a virtual youth squad against me with three games left of the season when they were only three points adrift of me? I took advantage, even if I do support them!).

Premier League Stats and Info

Full league table | Goalscorers | Past positions

Carling Cup – 3rd Round

Beaten in the 3rd round by Citeh on Pens.

No biggy left me a fresher squad for bigger fish to fry.

FA Cup – Champions

Couldn’t get much better really with silverware at the first attempt, beating Newcastle 5-2 in the Final. Brede Hangeland was joint top goalscorer with 5 for the cup run and Niko Kranjcar topping the assists chart too. Incidentally, 90,000 fans saw Hangeland rated a 9.9 with 4 goals against Stoke in the Semis!

Europa League – Quarter Finals

On the face of it quarter finals sounds like a good effort, but I was hoping for a bit more when I was run so close by PSG, losing 3-2 at home before winning 1-0 away. Darn away goals rule!

Behind The Scenes and Preparing For Next Season

Finances

Not great, been pretty much constantly making small losses throughout the season but my transfer/wage kitty have been largely unaffected. Every time someone plays well though he’s apparently going to be one of the first to go because of the financial difficulties at the club. Shows what the media know.

Youth Facility Upgrade

Requested at the start of season 1 and agreed.

Al Fayed’s new training patch will be ready beginning of November 2011.

Player Reviews

GK: Mr dependable Schwartz has been, er, just that all season. Nothing spectacular but does the job well. Bought Timo Hildeband as cover, done well when used too. Looking for young blood though, considering a punt for Areola or maybe Butland.

FB: Riise brilliant all season paired with Baird. Diogo as backup, also picked up Friedrich who made the RB spot his own late season. Only disappointment was Briggs, who I’ll offload.

CB: Made Hangeland Captain and he didn’t disappoint - ABSOLUTE BEAST! 7.60 season ave., rock at the back, top goalscorer up front (mostly from corners). Played him alongside Hughes who was again amazing. Do need a backup though just in case Baird is employed as RB.

DMC: Took a risk on N’Zonzi with Etuhu as backup. Both been OK, nothing great. Got Hargreaves as cover too but injured after 2 mins of debut so used him v e r y sparingly! Have Fernando joining in June for £1.3m.

MC: Kranjcar outstanding as AP, Murphy and Sidwell disappointed. Surprise package here was young Kasami. Got him tutored by Murphy the Kranjcar, he’s got both now as favoured persons and is playing well either at AP or on the rights as an IF.

Wingers: Dembele and Duff were my first choice partnership; until that is Duff broke his ankle. Never played as well again but by then I’d have picked Ruiz for his form over him anyway. I sold Dempsey early on and thought it was a mistake when Duff got hurt but Kasami and Ruiz did me proud.

ST: Zamora & Johnson rotated up front, with Wifried and on-loan Sanogo as backup. Sanogo didn’t play much, but I got the chance of getting him ON A FREE so grabbed it midway through first season. Tapped up Leandro all season when I had the budget, no deals. Near the end of the season his new owners Real Madrid offer him to me for £6.75m, but my coffers were too empty.

Summer Signing Preperation

I have a few players coming in this summer, mostly youth so far except Fernando as mentioned. Awaiting Mr Fayed’s chequebook to see what he’s going to give me, but I’ll see if Real will still take £6.75m for Leandro. Also need a GK and shore up the defence, with LB and CB cover the priorities. Considering Shawcross and/or Cahill, with Liverpool’s Jack Robinson.

:applause:Season Awards:applause:

My Player of the Season – Brede Hangeland Runner-Up – Niko Kranjcar.

My Young Player of the Season – Pajtim Kasami.

Disappointment of the Season – Danny Murphy Runner- Up – Steve Sidwell

Signing of the Season – Niko Kranjcar

Bargain of the Season – Yaya Sonogo (free after season loan)

EDIT: I was also awarded Manager of the Year, and Wilfried 2nd in Goal of the Season. Brede Hangeland was in the Team of the Year.

So, on to the future. Aim for next year is to qualify for Champions League and maybe more silverware, dare I hope for the European type from the Europa?

All comments and constructive criticisms welcome - it is a forum after all!

PS IF we went to another club, does that mean we have to leave the thread?!

afraid so, this is for Fulham updates. Who's offered you jobs? Have turned down Barca, Man U and Sevilla in my time whilst being linked with R.Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool and Atletic Bilbao.

Well played Kev, though if you've pulled some funny business in corner set up :thdn:

Well played Kev, though if you've pulled some funny business in corner set up :thdn:

Set best header (Hangeland) to Near Post, second best header (Hughes) to far post, def mid & fb's to stay back and the rest various almost random positions. Oh, and all corners taken by best corner taker (Krancjar) to near post.

I'll definitely be continuing them for as long as I still play the save. At the moment i'm swaying towards going the opposite route and trying to duplicate my achievements with more youngsters as i've only been given 17m transfer kitty (after adjusting so I can offer decent wages) and nobody particularly catches my eye right now.

Grrr, Al Fayed's chequebook only stretched to £7m. :( To add insult to injury, I had to re-allocate some of that because he reduced the wage budget too! Not sure why I only got this much when others have £30m?? :confused: Maybe because it keeps saying we're penniless. Oh well, here's hoping for a takeover bid soon.

elgreenio - might be a good idea for you to do a video on team instructions, even a brief/short video possibly? Would be interested to see your views on passing/creative freedom/closing down/tackling/marking/crossing/roaming and all that kind of stuff. Just a thought but i'd find it beneficial. Cheers

Season 3 Update 3 - End of Season

S3U3EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-12.png

So as you can see, I finished 7th (predicted 8th) and missed out on European Football for Season 2014/15. Didn't help matters that Derby in the Championship reached the FA Cup final against Chelski, and therefore got a EURO Cup place.

Those of you who read my last update will remember that I wasn't happy with how it was going in Season 3. Am I getting too expectant though? After all, I'm pretty established in the top 8 of the Premier League, not bad for a team like Fulham. I've got rid of most of the old guard and the youngsters I have purchased are coming along nicely. Big clubs sniffing around. Sigporsson is definately my main threat though as an attacking force.

S3U3EnglishPremierDivisionStats_PlayerStats-9-1.png

As you can see from the fixtures, I went out to Bordeaux in the EURO Cup (to be honest I was lucky to only lose 2-1 in each leg, definately too classy).

S3U3FulhamFixtures_Fixtures-11-1.png

Bad news for all England fans though for the 2014 World Cup:

S3U3BenSmithNews_Inbox-11-1.png

Hopes for next season? Well, the youngsters are coming through, Fleck is joining me from Rangers and I need to keep Sigporsson fit and free from injury. He seems to get injured when away with Iceland so I'll look into that.

I'm hoping that I can push towards top four but I don't see this happening as I experiment too much with the tactics and then don't really have a fluid system.

I am hoping for too much I know. I should be pleased with performing consistently over the season but I'm a bit so-so about my achievements.

My first thread in this said that I thought of myself as a so-so manager. Don't hit the heights but don't really do tragically awful.

Must be why I'm a Cottagers fan...

Carlos

PS Congrats elgreenio on winning the league @ Loftus Road!! I bow down to you.

FULHAM SEASON 2014/2015 - season five UPDATE games 1-15

Predicted finish: 7th

Current position: 9th

S4U1EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-12.png

The season started off in fine form with comprehensive victories over Reading, Wolves, Blackburn and Sunderland and The Cottagers were sitting proudly on top of the Barclays Premier League. We then suffered an unexpected 2-1 reversal at home to West Sham and as the matches got tougher and Sigporsson got injured, the goals dried up, the quality of the opposition improved and we found ourselves slowly slipping down the table.

Disappoing reversals to Cardiff and Swansea only deepened the gloom at The Cottage (Cardiff also dumped us out of the League Cup - a competition I'm just crap at every single year).

Players coming in included John Fleck, Kolo Toure, Joleon Lescott and Jose Bosingwa (all on frees) as well as paying FC Lorient £1.7million for Alain Charbonnel (regen) who is already becoming a first team regular.

S4U1BenSmithNews_Inbox-11.png

Players leaving the Cottage and thus helping reduce the wages were Sidwell, Etuhu, Baird, Hildebrand and Stockdale (£1.5m to Leeds). Thanks for your efforts but I have to look to the future now.

Financially we are really struggling and 11million in the red. Not sure about the future with the Club as this is quite a bit of debt and we are losing every month.

If you take a look at my squad:

S4U1FulhamSquad_Players-21.png

You will see that I have some players with 4/5 stars earmarked for the future but it's difficult to get to the next level without some proper, sound investment from the Board.

My position at The Cottage is stable and the fans think I'm OK but I know (and they know) that we could and probably should be doing better.

Sigporsson has been injured FOUR times on international duty, the latest one keeping him out for 4 months which means I have to rely on Dembele/Zamora/Ruiz for goals, which just doesn't happen.

Still, this game was fun.

S4U1QPRvFulhamInformation_Overview-2.png

FINALLY!

Those of you following my updates from update 1 will know I bought a player, my first player with FFC, my first player on FM12. He cost me £11 million and didn't get a WP. Sent him to Parent club for the residency, but didn't realise it had to be continuous residency. Have been paying his wages of £38k a week. He hasn't played a game of football for me but thankfully, it looks like he is on his way.

A VERY EXPENSIVE MISTAKE. Shame on you Roberto Firmino.

S4FirminoBenSmithNews_Inbox-19.png

Hello it's me again guys - I'm like London buses... Don't see a post for ages and then suddenly, three in a row..

Anyway, look at my regen - wouldn't mind some tips

S4FilippoOlivettiOverview_Profile-2.png

I bought Olivetti from Varese for £750k on recommendation from my scout. 4.5 star potential.

He is concerned that he isn't getting first team football, but the formations I prefer to use, don't include AMC. Do you think I should retrain him as a striker? The reason I say this is look at his acceleration and pace.

Anyway, I gave him his first start just now at home to Reading (mid table) as a striker accompanying Dembele. After 30 minutes he out ran the central defender who brought him down and promptly got sent off. He also managed to score a 25 yard effort.

I'm excited about this guy (dubbed the next Albertini), how do you think I should nurture him?

Cheers

S4FilippoOlivettiOverview_Information.png

should be one coming today. Ben with that Olivetti guy, if he's not going to play 20+ games then get him out on loan otherwise it'll halt his development a bit. As for re-training, what formation do you play? He could do a great job of keeping up with counter attacks from CM

Going to start a game with Fulham after work, great challenge with a good squad that needs a few younger additions. Going to try and bring in a young cb, holding mix and a striker/winger. Prob going to have dembele, Zamora, Ruiz as front3 so may sell Dempsey to raise funds. Enjoyed looking through the thread so will keep you updated with progress.

Going to start a game with Fulham after work, great challenge with a good squad that needs a few younger additions. Going to try and bring in a young cb, holding mix and a striker/winger. Prob going to have dembele, Zamora, Ruiz as front3 so may sell Dempsey to raise funds. Enjoyed looking through the thread so will keep you updated with progress.

good to hear Gooner. Dempsey added to the fringe players around the squad will give you a good base of funds to rebuild. You seem to have the priorities right in terms of positions you'll need, may want to throw in a playmaking mid as well if you can.

Started my Fulham game. Sold Kelly, bh riise, Dempsey, Baird and loaned halliche. Using some 48 month payments signed vertonghen, sommer,Lucas Andersen, nzonzi and welbeck on loan.

Looking for a younger right back but all my signings are under 25 and will add something to the team. Also overhauled back room staff.

LEAGUE CUP LOSERS

Season 2011/12 4th Round 1-2 Sunderland (Zamora)

2012/13 2nd Round 0-1 Bournemouth

2013/14 3rd Round 1-3 Sunderland (Zamora)

2014/15 4th Round 0-1 Cardiff

2015/16 3rd Round v Everton...

Nothing more to say really...

Oh apart from every match was at home.

Sitting in third at the moment in the first season, approaching the January transfer window. Brought Welbeck in on loan but otherwise no signings have been made. Zamora has been a class act for me and he's approaching the 20 goal mark, and Welbeck has just started to smash some in.

Defence has let me down though and I think I'd probably be first if it weren't for them. Unfortunately I only have just under £1,000,000 to spend so could be difficult strengthening.

just started a new job this week which means 12 hour days for me at the moment. I've gone far enough for another update, just not got round to recording/uploading it.

May be better off looking at a loan then slawbawn. Either that or with the amount of good bargain defenders knocking about you could sell to buy. Kelly, Hughes and Halliche the usual sales. Even Riise can fetch a fair bit if you fancy giving Briggs a run or find a new LB.

I've got £12m to spend now. Man Utd seemed overly determined to get Ruiz from me. Didn't wanna sell as he's been a godsend down the Left Wing for me, but they eventually matched his £30m release clause so didn't have much choice. Gonna look at loans rather than transfers though and hold out for a big transfer budget in the summer. Planning to bring a CB and an LW in on loan at the moment.

may be worth shifting some of that 12mil over to wages for now and seeing if there's anything available in the free market/bosmans.

If not even to play, i've found it to be a good way of balancing the books until you get the big end of season payouts by selling these players after 6 months.

Think first season I managed to secure deals for Ospina and L.De Jong on bosmans, De Jong went for £5m 6 months later, and Ospina is still just about my number 1 and allowed me to release Schwarzers wages and get a couple of mil for Stockdale.

how is everybody getting on? not letting this thread die :mad:. Screw christmas, get your FM on.

Shawcross is a great signing Slawbawn, though he's a stopper isn't he? Going to pair two stoppers together and have him with Hangeland?

Begovic another good signing, proven prem quality and should easily slot in for Schwarzer. Who's going to be your number 1 for now though?

Archived