H.A.M. Clan FM2011 Game Thread

Monday 8th November 2011 saw The H.A.M. Clan return bigger, wouldn't be hard we finished the last game with 2 managers, and better, well I am hardly going to say it is worse than before, starting in League One. After a random draw the starting line up was as follows.

Alistair Gillespie - Peterborough United

David Watson - Bristol Rovers

Dave Harrop - Sheffield Wednesday

Mark Stanley - Rochdale

Jack Winfield - Carlisle United

Hopefully many questions will be answered over the coming months. Can Al manage to avoid taking his team backwards before going forwards? How many clubs will stan manage this season? Will harrop turn Sheffield Wednesday into world beaters as he has with every team he has managed? How long will the new managers last?

Good luck to everyone. You can follow our progress on our website - http://hamclan.gillesam.net/ as well as on this thread.

Bristol Rovers

Coach and former Non League footballer Dave Watson has been named as Paul Trollope successor at The Memorial Ground.

Watson was asked what he intends to bring to the Gas as mid table obscurity is predicted, Watson replied

"Well budgets are tight but why can this city not have 2 teams playing in the championship i have given the board my 3 year plan at the interview and they liked what they saw".

He further added "I may be inexperienced but i am hungry and after my scouting work i have a wealth of target in mind, there will be big changes".

Only time will tell if Watson can inspire his side to a possible play off but after the interview Watson did conclude his sides are going to be based around quick,direct style and he will only bring in players he deems fits in with his plans and he intends in entertaining the fans and make sure there not short changed as he looks to plan expansive football.

Bristol Rovers

This morning Dave Watson made his first forage into the transfer market incredibly bringing in 16 players to the gas

The List

Jimmy Walker free

Sam Sodje Free

Izzy Irrekpan Free

Ebou Sillah Free

Ze To Free

Andy Van Der Meyde Free

Rodrigue Dikaba Free

Fabien Brandy Free

Simon Whaley Free

Chris James Free

Franck Songo,o Free

Pele Free

Jennison Myrie Williams £35K St Johnstone

Mark Randall Loan

Shaun Cummings Loan

What will the season hold for the newly assembled squad but he did add they will be no more permanent signing but is more than happy with his new squad amd they may be a few players leaving the club

Team Overview

Well looking at it i have a poor side with very little in terms of quality so as you have seen i have had to make drastic signing which will take time to gel.

My philosophies are based around a quick pacey front, defending deep and countering teams.

As you look at my signing Brandy,Myrie Willams,Sillah,Songo'o all lack the required technical ability at the minute but physically there up to the mark with pace which should frighten sides in this division.

My defense is based around my new signings of Pele and either one of Sodje or Irrekpan who all have experience of playing in higher divisions,throw in Dikaba a unknown.

I looking forward to trying to take this ram shackell side and see if these journey men could finally call this club home and take these fans into a new era...

Carlisle

It has been confimed today that the little known young manager, Jack Winfield has been placed in charge of Carlisle United on a £1,300 a week contract for 2 years. Now the question on the lips of most Carlisle fans is, "who is Jack Winfield?" well, he had a very low level career in football, spending the entire of his years outside of the football league and never really looking like the kind of player that would ever make it big. However, the people close to him have very high hopes for his future in the management side of the game, and it looks like carlisle are the team to have given him his first shot.

After having been given £23,000 as a transfer budget, this hasn't stopped Winfield ringing the changes has he looks to put his own stamp on the squad. So far Winfield has made 7 free signings, 1 loan signing of Julio Santa Cruz, the younger brother of Roque, from blackburn, and also signed a man who is very much a fan favourite at Brunton Park in Michael Bridges for £22k from the Newcastle Jets. Winfield will be hoping his experience will help his relatively young side after selling another experienced player, Paul Thirlwell to Ipswiich for £75k.

It remains to be seen wether or not Winfield will be a success but one things for certain, its bound to be an interesting season for carlisle fans.

Carlisle

Well its certainly been a difficult start to my career as manager of carlisle. We kicked the season off with a disastrous 4-0 loss at home to Brighton where we played terrible throughout and never really looked like threatening, even after Brighton were reduced to ten men after 60 minutes.

After that came the League Cup 1st round. we'd been drawn to play at home against Championship side leicester. After going one down in the first half hour to a Darius Vassel striker we valiantly fought back to equalise 5 minutes before the break through the unlikely scorer in centre back James Chester. However we couldn't hold on and in the 66th minute leicester scored and then all hopes that were left disintegrated when, in the 81st minute, Kevan Hurst was sent off, bringing us down to ten and the game ended 2-1 which i wasn't too dissapointed with conisdering we were playing championship opposition.

An away game to Oldham followed, and although we were unfortunate to not only hit the woodwork three times, but also too have youngster Gary Madine blaze over from the penalty spot in the 92nd minute, leaving us to have to settle for a 0-0 draw. First points on the board at least.

Next was a home game against MK Dons. The Dons capitalized on our low morale early on and took a two goal lead within 42 minutes. However the players showed great character, and by the 46th minute we'd clawed it back to 2-2 through a Fabio Borini (on loan from Chelsea) double. However, fate was against us yet again and in the 59th minute, Lewis Guy struck a third for the Dons which ultimately proved to be the winner. Next up was Huddersfield, and in a cracking match which included a Francois Zoko hat-trick, we ended up on the bad end of a 5-3 thriller.

To follow that cracker was to be the first round of the Johnstone Paint trophy. We had been paired with Tranmere and were to travel to their home ground. I was hoping this game would prove a confidence booster for the squad, but in a tight game with a red card shown to each team in the final 5 minutes, we only just scraped a 1-0 victory. However, a victory is a victory and hopefully we shall be able to push on from there.

Below is a list of all the matches played so far:

Carlisle United 0 - 4 Brighton & Hove Albion

Marcos Painter (5) (Brighton)

Glenn Murray (21,70, 80) (Brighton)

Matt Sparrow sent off (60) (Brighton)

Carlisle United 1 – 2 Leicester City (League Cup)

Darius Vassel (29) (Leicester)

James Chester (40) (Carlisle)

Paul Gallagher (66) (Leicester)

Kevan Hurst sent off (81) (Carlisle)

Oldham Athletic 0 – 0 Carlisle United

Gary Madine missed penalty (92) (Carlisle)

Carlisle United 2 – 3 MK Dons

Angelo Balanta (26, 42) (MK Dons)

Fabio Borini (45+2, 46) (Carlisle)

Lewis Guy (59) (MK Dons)

Huddersfield Town 5 – 3 Carlisle United

Francois Zoko (17, 76, 90) (Carlisle)

Kerrea Gilbert (32) Huddersfield)

Graham Carey (39) (Huddersfield)

Anthony Pilkington (42) (Huddersfield)

Jordan Rhodes (82) (Huddersfield)

Peter Clarke (87) (Huddersfield)

Tranmere Rovers 0 – 1 Carlisle United

(Johnstone Paint Trophy)

Pedro Pareja (39) (Carlisle)

Nick Wood sent off (87) (Tranmere)

Sean McDaid sent off (90+3)

The random drawing of teams resulted in me taking charge of Peterborough United, which I was fairly happy with. The squad looks pretty good with a strong first team. I brought in Derek Geary, Rui Aleida Monteiro, Peter Styvar & Kali on free transfers and Chris Wood, Seamus Coleman & Abdulai Bell-Baggie on loan to bolster the squad. I also brought in 3 young players, Jack Sampson, Liam O'Brien & Botond Antal, which my scouts recommended for the future. After a strong preseason I am confident we can challenge for the play offs as expected.

My first game in charge saw us host Dagenham & Redbridge. We played well in this game and goals from Mackail-Smith & McLean at the start of each half gave us a comfortable 2-0 win. We travelled to Bradford for the first round of the League Cup next. We produced a devastating first half display and goals from McCann, Langmead, Bennett & Mackail-Smith sent us in 4-0 up. We conceded at the start of the second half but we were never troubled after that and we progressed with a 4-1 win. Brentford away followed. We fell behind early on before Boyd equalised after 28 minutes. We were only on level terms for 5 minutes and went in 2-1 down. McLean equalised at the start of the second half before we fell behind to a penalty just after the hour mark. Bennett equalised with 2 minutes to go and it looked as if we had snatched a point only to concede a penalty 4 minutes into stoppage time. Fortunately Brentford failed to convert it as it hit the post and we came away with a 3-3 draw in a game we struggled.

Plymouth at home was next. We controlled this game from start to finish playing some brilliant stuff. Styvar gave us an early lead and McLean doubled our advantage to lead 2-0 at half time. McLean grabbed a second before Wood added a 4th. Styvar scored in stoppage time to give us a 5-0 win. It was back to the League Cup in our next game as we travelled to play Burnley. I wasn't expecting much in this game and this was confirmed as we lost an early goal. We managed to contain them after this and Wood equalised with 20 minutes left. It looked as if we would force extra time until Burnley scored with 5 minutes left and we went out losing 2-1. We had back to back away games next starting at Exeter. We never turned up for this game and were lucky to escape with a 0-0. I hoped for better at Charlton. We did play better but couldn't score and had to settle for another 0-0 draw.

We looked to get back to winning ways at home to Walsall. McCann gave us an early lead before McLean completed a 19 minute hat trick to put us 4-0 up. We conceded in stoppage time to go in 4-1 up. Walsall pulled another back on the hour mark but we remained in control and ran out 4-2 winners. Southampton at home followed. Unfortunately our defence never turned up for this game. We found ourselves 2-0 down before McLean pulled one back before half time. We went looking for an equaliser in the second half and got hit on the break late on to lose 3-1. McLean completed a bad day when he got sent off in stoppage time for diving!! Bournemouth away was next. Mackail-Smith gave us an early lead in what turned out to be a dire game. Not much else happened except for Lee getting sent off late on but we held out for a 1-0 win. Oldham at home followed. We dominated this game from start to finish but only had a McLean goal midway through the first half to show for our efforts. It was enough to give us a 1-0 win. Yeovil were next to visit. We didn't play quite as well as the previous game but our finishing was much better. Goals from McCann, Zakuani, Boyd, Mackail-Smith & Lee gave us a 5-0 win.

It was the JPT next as we travelled to play League Two Lincoln. We were shocking in this game and lost 1-0 as we couldn't manage a single shot on target for the whole game. MK Dons away followed. We played well in the first half and goals from Boyd & Davies gave us a comfortable 2-0 lead. We didn't turn up for the second half and conceded twice to draw 2-2. We bounced back at home to Jack's Carlisle. We controlled this game from start to finish. A Mackail-Smith double and a Bennett strike gave us a 3-0 half time lead. Carlisle pulled one back before Mackail-Smith completed his hat trick to give us a 4-1 win. We finished the session away at Brighton. Brighton were reduced to 10 men after 14 minutes and then took the lead from the penalty spot a few minutes later. We equalised just before half time thanks to Griffiths. We fell behind again 10 minutes into the second half before Davies equalised 5 minutes later. By now we were on top and creating chances only to fall behind again with 9 minutes left. McCann popped up with 5 minutes left to salvage a point in a 3-3 draw. This was a game that we should have won but having gone behind late on a draw wasn't a bad result.

This has left us in 3rd place after 13 games, 3 points behind 2nd and 5 points from top spot. If we can find a way to win more away games and continue our good home form we should be set for a successful season.

Thursday's session started away at Colchester. We had the better of the first half but couldn't find a goal. We fell behind at the start of the second half before Monteiro equalised just before the hour mark. Wood gave us the lead with 9 minutes left only to concede 2 minutes later and it finished 2-2. Leyton Orient at home followed. We controlled this game from start to finish but we couldn't score and it finished 0-0. We had back to back away games against Tranmere next, first in the league. We played well in the first half and goals from Mackail-Smith & Wood gave us a 2-1 lead at the break. Mackail-Smith got his second of the game 10 minutes into the second half and it was enough to give us a 3-1 win. It was the same venue for the FA Cup 3 days later. A quick fire double from Wood gave us a comfortable 2-0 win.

We hosted Dave Watson's Bristol Rovers next. Mackail-Smith gave us the lead on the hour mark as we controlled the first half. We conceded at the start of the second half before it all went horribly wrong. We fell behind before McCann was sent off 60 seconds later. Rovers went down to 10 men 4 minutes later. We battered Rovers for the rest of the game and it eventually paid off when Boyd scored in the 90th minute to make it 2-2. Hartlepool at home followed. We dominated this game from start to finish and goals from Mackail-Smith & Styvar gave us a 2-0 win. It was the FA Cup and we travelled to play Dave Watson's Bristol Rovers. We found ourselves 2-0 down after half an hour. Lee scored either side of half time to make it 2-2 and force a replay.

This leaves us in 4th place after 18 games, 5 points behind 2nd place and 11 behind top spot.

Monday's session started away at Harrop's Sheff Wednesday. The first half was very even and it could easily have been 3-3 at half time rather than 0-0. We conceded at the start of the second half after which it was very even again. Wood was sent off with 17 minutes left as we lost 1-0. We travelled to Notts County next. We played well in this game and took the lead through Styvar at the start of the second half. We conceded on the hour and it looked as if it would finish 1-1 until Tomlin scored a screamer in the 90th minute to give us a 2-1 win. It was our FA Cup replay next at home to Bristol Rovers. Sampson gave us the lead on the hour mark only to get pegged back 3 minutes later. That was the end of the scoring and it finished 1-1 and we went through 2-1 on penalties.

Swindon at home followed. After falling behind goals from McCann & Sampson gave us a 2-1 lead at half time. Swindon drew level with 15 minutes left before scoring in stoppage time to condemn us to a 3-2 defeat. We were at high flying Huddersfield next. We dominated this game from start to finish but only had a Wood goal just before half time to show for it. Fortunately this was enough and we won 1-0. We played stan's Rochdale away next. Despite dominating this game and Rochdale only having 3 shots all game we managed to lose 1-0. Before the next game we signed Lee Griffiths from Dundee to give us some more attacking options and he would make his debut at Dagenham & Redbridge. We played well in this game and goals from Lee, Griffiths & Styvar gave us a 3-0 win.

Brentford at home followed. Lee was sent off after 34 minutes making life tough. McCann gave us the lead on half time. McCann added a second from the spot before Griffiths picked the ball up midway in our half and ran to the other end to make it 3-0 with a fine individual effort. We hosted Blackpool in the FA Cup next, We played really well in this game but could not find a goal and ended up losing 2-0. Plymouth away followed. We fell behind early on in what turned out to be a poor game. We couldn't find an equaliser and we lost 1-0. The final game of the session was at home to Exeter. We were poor in this game and weren't helped by Geary getting sent off just after half time and had to settle for a 0-0 draw.

This was a disappointing session and it leaves us in 6th place after 27 games, 11 points from second. We will have to improve next time if we are to have any chance of automatic promotion. Hopefully our cause will be helped by the signing if Calum Davenport to strengthen the defence.

Thursday's session started at Walsall. We were brilliant in the first half and goals from McLean, Griffiths, Boyd & McCann sent us in 4-0. McLean added a fifth in the second half before missing a penalty in stoppage time as we won 5-0. Charlton at home followed. A McLean hat trick gave us a 3-0 win. Southampton away was next. Goals from McLean & Griffiths gave us a 2-0 win as we controlled the game. Bournemouth at home followed. We dominated this game from start to finish. An early own goal and a late strike from Griffiths gave us a 2-0 win.

Yeovil away was next. We battered Yeovil in this game and ran out 6-2 winners thanks to doubles from Griffiths,McLean & Boyd. MK Dons were next to visit. A Griffiths double gave us a 2-1 win. Brighton at home was next. We played well in the first half and a double from McLean and one from Griffiths put us 3-0 up at half time. Styvar added a 4th before Brighton pulled 2 back but we held on to win 4-2. Oldham away followed. We were poor in the first half and went in 1-0 down. Scott Griffiths pulled one back at the start of the second half and Griffiths, Leigh, struck late on to give us a 2-1 win. Carlisle away was next. We fell behind early on before McCann equalised on the half hour before we fell behind on half time. McLean equalised at the start of the second half before we fell behind again late on. It looked as if we would lose until McCann struck deep in to stoppage time to rescue a point in a 3-3 draw. This would turn out to be the only game of the session we wouldn't win.

Colchester at home was next. We played really well in this game and goals from McCann, McLean & Griffiths gave us a 3-0 win. Leyton Orient away followed. We played well again and goals from Boyd, McCann & Bennett gave us a 3-1 win. Hartlepool away was next. We dominated this game from start to finish and goals from Mackail-Smith, Boyd, Bennett & Griffiths gave us a 4-0 win. The final game of the session was at home to Notts County. We didn't play as well in this game but managed to win 2-1 thanks to an own goal and a Griffiths strike.

This was probably the best session I have had in the clan with any team. It has left us in 2nd place with 6 games remaining, 1 point above 3rd place and only 7 points behind top spot. If we continue playing the way we have been we still have a chance of the title.

Monday's session started at home to Tranmere. We played well in this game but only won 1-0 thanks to a Griffiths strike. We were home to Harrop's Sheff Wednesday next, a game we have to win if we are to have any chance of winning the title. We played well in the first half and goals from Mackail-Smith, Styvar & Griffiths gave us a 3-1 win half time lead. We continued to play well in the second half but there were no more goals and we won 3-1. We were away to Dave's Bristol Rovers next. It looked as if our job had been made easier when Rovers were reduced to 10 men after 9 minutes only for them to score 4 minutes later. Griffiths equalised 10 minutes before half time against the run of play. We continued to struggle in the second half before Rovers were reduced to 9 men after 68 minutes and Wood gave us the lead 2 minutes later. We managed to hold out for the last 20 minutes to win 2-1.

Swindon away followed. We were poor in this game and lost 1-0 to an early goal. We hosted Huddersfield next, knowing a win would secure promotion. We fell behind early on before taking control of the game. Boyd equalised just before half time before Wood gave us the lead with 25 minutes left. We weren't really troubled in the rest of the game and won 2-1 to secure promotion. We finished the season at home to Rochdale. We controlled this game from start to finish and won 3-0 with a Griffiths double and one from McCann.

In the end we finished 2ns only 2 points behind Harrop's Sheff Wednesday. My aim at the start of the season was to make the play offs and for a while it looked as if we might struggle. The signing of Griffiths in January proved to be the catalyst as we got better and better after that, Next season will be tough but with a few decent signings I don't see why we can't stay up.

The close season saw us bring in 7 players on Bosman's including Luis Jimenez & Eidur Gudjohnsen and 4 players on loan. I feel our squad is strong enough to stay up and possibly push for mid table. The season started at home to Bristol City. This was an even game that was decided in 5 second half minutes. City took the lead before we were awarded a penalty which McCann missed and we lost 1-0. It was the League Cup next as we hosted Oldham. We played really well in the first half and goals from Boyd & Griffiths gave us a 2-0 lead. We switched off in the second half and conceded twice as Oldham forced extra time. We battered Oldham in extra time but couldn't find a goal and we lost 3-2 on penalties.

Derby away followed. After going behind we equalised just before half time through McCann. The second half was pretty even and it looked to be heading for a draw until McLean struck with 2 minutes left to give us a 2-1 win. Swindon at home followed. We were shocking in the first half and went in 3-0 down. We were better in the second half and Griffiths scored to make the final score 3-1. We bounced back by beating QPR away with a Griffiths double. West Ham at home followed. We played well and went into a 2-0 lead just after half time through goals from Davenport & Mackail-Smith. We then switched off for 25 minutes and let West Ham scored twice. We had chances after this to win but couldn't take them and it finished 2-2.

The final game of the session was at Coventry. This was an even game that finished 1-1 with Mackail-Smith equalising with 15 minutes left. We finished the session in 12th place with 8 points after 6 games. Our away form has been really good and if we can replicate it at home we should be able to finish mid table.

Thursday's session started at Blackpool. This was a fairly even game which finished 0-0. Norwich at home followed. We fell behind on the half hour before Mackail-Smith equalised 5 minutes before half time. We struggled in the second half but some solid defending meant we got a point in a 1-1 draw. Newcastle away was next. Despite falling behind twice goals from Griffiths & Mackail-Smith earned us a deserved 2-2 draw.

Reading at home followed. We destroyed Reading in this game but only had a first half goal from Jimenez to show for it but it was enough to give us a 1-0 win. Cardiff away was next. We controlled this game from start to finish and first half goals from Jimenez & Griffiths gave us a 2-0 win. Sheff Utd at home followed. Boyd gave us the lead after 5 minutes but Utd equalised just before half time. We created the better chances in the second half but had to settle for a 1-1 draw. The final game of the session was at Portsmouth. This was a fairly even game that we lost 1-0 to a goal just before half time, our first defeat in 10 games.

This leaves us in 13th place after 13 games, 5 points from the play offs and, more importantly, 8 points above the drop zone.

Monday's session started at home to Hull. We played well in this game and an own goal plus a Mackail-Smith double gave us a 3-1 win. Doncaster at home followed. Griffiths was outstanding in this game as he scored a hat trick in a 3-1 win. Watford away followed. We went behind to an own goal before McCann equalised with a screamer. Watford were reduced to 10 men before half time but we couldn't take advantage in the second half and it finished 1-1.

Crystal Palace away was next. We went in 2-0 up thanks to a Griffiths goal and an own goal. Palace scored twice to level things before Griffiths struck with 6 minutes to go to give us a 3-2 win. We finished the session at home to Leicester. We were brilliant in this game and a Griffiths double and a Mackail-Smith strike gave us a 3-0 win.

This leaves us in 7th place, 1 point from the play offs and 5 from top spot. We now have a genuine chance of fighting for the play offs, however it will depend on keeping Griffiths fit.

Hi Fellas,

Good to see the clan still going,who are Peterborough Town by the way? Thought it was United LOL,anyway Im halfway through the 2nd season ,playing as Brighton in Div1.

Here are some players you might want to consider-After 1st season Khanishvilli CB from Blackburn,Ibrahima Sonko from Reading(I think),Oliver Norwood are all available on free transfers and are all excellent additions.Joshua King I got on loan for the season and hes a very good striker.You may also be interested in Jason Roberts on a free,he scores but does like an injury.

Hope that may help.

Thursday's session started away at Harrop's Sheff Wednesday. We got destroyed in this game but it looked as if our keeper had earned us a point until Wednesday scored with 5 minutes left to win 1-0. Preston at home was next. We played well in this game but couldn't find a goal and lost 1-0. Ipswich away followed. After McCann gave us the lead after 2 minutes we found ourselves 2-0 down at half time. Griffiths grabbed an equaliser to rescue a point in a 2-2 draw. Leeds at home was next. We destroyed Leeds after conceding an early goal but we couldn't score and lost 1-0.

Swansea away was next. We fell behind early again but Boyd equalised on the half hour mark. We struggled in the second half but held on for a 1-1 draw. Bristol City away followed. We found ourselves 2-0 down at the start of the second half before a Griffiths double made it 2-2 and rescued another point. Derby at home was next. We played well in this game but it looked as if we would have to settle for a draw until McLean scored in stoppage time to give us a 1-0 win. Swindon away was next. Despite going behind early goals from McLean & Griffiths put us 2-1 up at half time. Swindon equalised at the start of the second half and both teams had chances as it finished 2-2.

QPR at home followed. We played well and a first half strike from Griffiths gave us a 1-0 win. The final game of the session was away at West Brom in the FA Cup. This was a much closer game than the score suggested as we lost 4-1 with Griffiths getting our goal. Despite a poor session we are in 8th spot, only 3 points from the play offs.

Monday's session started at West Ham. We started this game well and went in 1-0 up thanks to a Griffiths goal. We didn't play as well in the second half and conceded twice to lose 2-1. Coventry at home followed. We played well in this game but couldn't find a goal and we lost 1-0. Sheff Utd away was next. We played really well and goals from Carruthers, a long range screamer, and Griffiths gave us a 2-0 win. Blackpool at home followed. Boyd gave us the lead inside 60 seconds only for Carruthers to get sent off after 13 minutes, Grifiths doubled our lead 8 minutes later. Blackpool never really put us under any great pressure and we won 2-0.

Norwich away was next. A Griffiths double either side of half time was enough to give us a 2-1 win. Newcastle at home followed. We played really well in this game and a Mackail-Smith strike midway through the first half gave us a 1-0 win. We looked to continue our good run away at Reading. First half goals from Griffiths & Mackail-Smith gave us a 2-0 lead. Reading scored late on but we held on for a 2-1 win. The final game of the session was at home to Cardiff. A double from Carey put us 2-1 up at the break. Griffiths scored on the hour mark to give us a 3-1 win.

This leaves us in 5th place, only 3 points from 2nd with 11 games left. We have a great chance now of not only making the play offs but of automatic promotion.

Thursday's session started at home to Portsmouth. We played well in this game and a Griffiths double either side of a strike from Carey gave us a 3-0 win. Hull away followed. We didn't play well in this game and we found ourselves 2-0 down before McLean pulled one back with 2 minutes left. We couldn't find an equaliser and we lost 2-1. Crystal Palace at home was next. Davenport gave us the perfect start when he scored after 2 minutes. We had chances to extend our lead and held out to win 1-0. Doncaster away followed. We made a shocking start to this game and we were 2-0 down after 14 minutes. Mackail-Smith pulled one back before Jimenez equalised 4 minutes before half time. Mackail-Smith then struck in first half stoppage time to send us in 3-2 up. Baker was sent off with 25 minutes left and after that it was backs to the wall. We managed to stand firm and run out 3-2 winners.

Watford at home followed. We battered Watford for 90 minutes but only had a Carey strike shortly before half time to show for it. Fortunately it was enough and we won 1-0. Preston away was next. This was a poor game that finished 0-0. Leicester away followed. Griffiths gave us the lead after 4 minutes only for us to concede 5 minutes later. We were awful in the second half and lost 2 goals to lose 3-1. We hosted Harrop's Sheff Wednesday next. We fell behind midway through the first half before Griffiths equalised shortly before half time. We played well in the second half and goals from Griffiths & Mackail-Smith put us 3-1 up. Wednesday pulled one back in stoppage time but we held on to win 3-2.

Ipswich at home followed. We were brilliant in this game and doubles from Griffiths & Boyd and a Bennett strike gave us a comfortable 5-0 win. Leeds away was next. An own goal midway through the first half gave us a hard fought 1-0 win. The final game of the season was at home to Swansea. We needed a win to have a chance of automatic promotion. We started slowly and found ourselves 1-0 down after 26 minutes. We were still losing with 9 minutes to go before goals from McLean, Chamberlain and Griffiths in stoppage time gave us a 3-1 win. The results in the other games had gone our way and we were 2nd and heading to the Premiership!!

This was an unbelievable end to the season. I would happily have taken 4th bottom at the start of the season so to secure back to back promotions was unexpected. Next season will be tough but we will give it our best shot.

• 2 weeks later...

The close season saw me try to strengthen the squad. I signed Pekhart, Portilla & Belaid on Bosman's before adding Ball, Taylor & McDonald on free transfers. We also splashed the cash on Carroll from Newcastle and Loach from Watford. I was reasonably happy with the squad and still have money to spend in January.

We started the season at home to Wolves. We absolutely destroyed Wolves but they scored with their 2 shots on target and we lost 2-0. Arsenal at home was next. We played well in the first half and went in level after Griffiths scored just before half time. We struggled in the second half and conceded twice to lose 3-1. The League Cup followed as we hosted Watford. We played really well in this game. McCann opened the scoring before a Carroll hat trick gave us a 4-1 win.

Everton away was next. We were totally outclassed in this game and slumped to a 4-1 hammering with Mackail-Smith getting our goal. West Ham away followed. Despite taking an early lead thanks to an own goal we struggled again and lost 2-1. This leaves us bottom after 4 games. We are struggling to compete at the moment and I will need to try tinkering with our system to try and make us more solid.

Thursday's session started at home to Wigan, another team that so far didn't have a point. We played better in this game but own goals from both sides meant it finished 1-1. It was away at Aston Villa next in the League Cup. After falling behind early on we went in level at 1-1 after Griffiths equalised. We conceded just before the hour mark and couldn't find an equaliser and lost 2-1. Bolton away followed. After going behind early on again a Griffiths double put us 2-1 up at half time. We struggled in the second half but stood firm to win 2-1.

Chelsea at home was next. Griffiths gave us the lead inside the first minute. We held onto the lead until we conceded a penalty with 25 minutes to go. Neither side created much after this and we held on for a 1-1 draw. Aston Villa away followed. After a poor first half in which we found ourselves 2-0 down we played much better in the second half. Griffiths pulled one back before we conceded again. Davenport pulled another one back to give us a chance of snatching a point. Griffiths got sent off late on as we lost 3-2. Liverpool at home was next. We fell behind early on but equalised thanks to an own goal. We were up against it in the second half but held on for a 1-1 draw.

Man Utd at home followed. We were totally outclassed in this game and slumped to a 3-0 defeat. Spurs away followed. We were outclassed again and we were 3-0 down before Carroll pulled one back to make the final score 3-1. This leaves us in 18th place on goal difference after 11 games.

Monday's session started at Nottm Forest. We didn't play well in this game but a goal from Griffiths shortly after we fell behind salvaged a point in a 1-1 draw. Leicester away was next. We played a bit better in this game but conceded a goal midway through the first half and lost 1-0. Sunderland at home was next. We were poor in this game and found ourselves 2-0 down late on. Hamad pulled one back but we couldn't find an equaliser and we lost 2-1. Stoke away was next. We conceded an early goal but played reasonably well after that but we couldn't find a goal and we lost 1-0.

Blackburn at home was next. Boyd gave us the lead after 4 minutes. We struggled after that but managed to keep a clean sheet for a 1-0 win. Man City away followed. We were outclassed in this game but some solid defending and goal keeping meant we managed a 0-0 draw. Fulham away was next. We didn't turn up in the first half and went in 3-0 down. We played better in the second half and Griffiths pulled one back as we lost 3-1. Birmingham at home followed. We were brilliant in the first half and went in 4-1 up thanks to a Bennett double and goals from Griffiths & Gudjohnsen. We conceded with 20 minutes to go but held on to win 4-2.

Arsenal away was next. We got destroyed in the first half and went in 4-0 down. We were slightly better in the second half and managed to keep the score down as we lost 4-0. The final game of the session was at home to Wolves in the FA Cup. After an even first half we fell behind at the start of the second half. An own goal and a strike from Carroll gave us a 2-1 win. This leaves us in 18th place, 4 points from safety with 18 games left.

Thursday's session started at home to Everton. We were poor in the first half and found ourselves 2-0 down at half time. We were slightly better in the second and Carroll pulled one back as we lost 2-1. Wolves away followed. Despite taking the lead after 4 minutes thanks to Portilla we were never really in this game and ended up losing 2-1. West Ham at home followed. We took the lead through a McCann penalty before West Ham equalised before half time. We played the last 15 minutes with a man advantage but couldn't find a goal and it finished 1-1. It was West Brom at home in the FA Cup next. We were brilliant in the first half and went in 2-0 up thanks to a Griffiths double. We switched off in the second half and conceded 2 goals late on as West Brom made it 2-2 and forced a replay.

Bolton at home followed. This was a dire game that finished 0-0. Wigan away was next. Griffiths gave us an early lead. We struggled after that and Wigan equalised on the half hour mark. We managed to hold on for a 1-1 draw. Chelsea away followed. Despite going behind twice it looked as if we might snatch a draw as Boyd and an own goal brought us level with 15 minutes left. Unfortunately we conceded 5 minutes later and lost 3-2. It was the FA Cup replay at West Brom next. Despite Mackail-Smith giving is an early lead we got hammered 4-1 and crashed out. The final game of the session was at home to Aston Villa. We were shocking and got hammered 3-1 with Griffiths getting our goal.

This leaves us in 18th place, 4 points from safety, with 11 games left. It is going to take a minor miracle for us to stay up now but we will give it our best shot.

• 4 weeks later...

My last update was towards the end of the 3rd season as we were fighting to survive. We won the last 2 games of the season to somehow stay up and finish in 16th place. During the close season we brought in a few players and felt we were strong enough to stay up again. I couldn't have been more wrong!! We had a torrid time and were relegated with games to spare, after which we started to play much better. We ended the season rock bottom with the grand total of 16 points.

We regrouped during the close season and brought in 7 players on bosmans, including Sturridge, Onuoha, Albrighton & Gibson, as well as a few loan signings. We have played really well so far and we find ourselves top after 17 games with 44 points. We will hopefully continue our good form next time, and hopefully post more frequent updates.

Archived