The World Cup and social media

boots

In 2006, Facebook was barely two years old and had about 390 million less users than it currently has.

In 2006, Twitter was just coming online and no one yet knew what this "microblogging" thing was really about.

These are just the two big examples of how the internet has changed in the four years since the last World Cup. How do you see the reporting about the World Cup to change in 2010 compared to four years ago? Do you plan on using something like Twitter to help you follow the action? Will you be scouring Flickr for pictures from the matches? (Flickr was also barely a couple years old in 2006.)

For myself, I'm already following a couple people who I expect will give lots of World Cup news on Twitter. Since I'm at work during most games, without access to a TV, that's basically going to be my life line to the WC.

We'll just have even more ******** opinions and people trying to take themselves seriously I guess? Thankfully I have nothing planned for June so I don't have to worry about having to rely on such monstrosities as Facebook or Twitter.

Would rather see streaming become more prominent (iPlayer, ITV player). I know it's not similar to facebook or twitter etc but it can be used to replay matches, give news and what not. Problem ofcourse is it's UK only and you'll need an iPhone if your employer is an internet nazi.

Guest roberto922

tbf the BBC online player is already decent, ITV don't seem to be pushing live streaming much though

And why would you need an IPhone? Any smartphone worth its salt has the Iplayer with the exception of the Palm Pre

I won't be using any Twitter or iPhone to get up to date with World Cup matches and news I will be using my eye to watch ALL the games and read reports and stuff at home/work.

I can't stand Twitter so a zillion and one people on there going on about football would annoy the hell out of me. I'd imagine lots of 'celebs/characters' will have plenty to say during the World Cup. When I watch coverage of sports they occasionally read out some emails, questions, etc, for non-sporting events they encourage people to 'tweet' into them (?) their comments and then actually read them out ... these stupid, short disjointed nuggets of pooh :/

• Administrators

Twitter is entirely self-managed though, so just choose to follow people who you're actually interested in reading? There's some very good stuff out there.

Nothing that comes close to the way NFL writers/personalities have embraced it though. They're on a different level.

Twitter is entirely self-managed though, so just choose to follow people who you're actually interested in reading? There's some very good stuff out there.

Pretty much this.

Don't care what some random celeb thinks about the World Cup? Don't follow that person, you'll never know.

I don't follow anyone on Twitter tbf but I am sure 'amusing comments will be printed somewhere!

I'll be watching every game, I think a little different if someone is covering a league campaign but any journo that is gonna twitter tidbits of info is probably gonna report it in the proper media anyway, aren't they? What kind of stuff are they gonna put on here, in limited characters that we won't find out about in the news anyway?

Journos based out there twittering you mean or other 'football people' letting their thoughts be known?

Archived