4-5-1 - Help Please!!

I use a 4-5-1 formation, with a defensive midfielder and a AMR and AML. I have one centre back set to cover and the other as a stopper. Full backs to support, DM to defend...two supporting Box to Box centre mids, two Inside forwards and a Advanced Forward.

My team instructions are - Balanced, Attacking, Shorter passing, Man Marking, and roaming.

I'm Standard Liege :p anyway, I've drawn my first 5 league games and was wondering if anybody had any hints on how to get this formation working. I've used the same formation with Liverpool (won the league three times in five seasons). Don't get why its not working...

I'd suggest using one of your CM's as a playmaker, you need somebody to pull the strings from the midfield. I've played a 4-5-1 with Blackburn for 9 seasons, had Riquelme, VDV & Witsel in the left CM slot as Advanced Playmakers and they bagged tons of goals and assists. I assume you've got Defour and Witsel? Both would work IMO.

@ Shane - I'd urge you to look at the tactic, analysis page and full matches and try to figure out where the problem is, rather than download a tactic someone else subjectively labels "the best".

That's not to say people won't help, however, you'll just need to give more information as to your exact problem; listing your settings and saying they work with liverpool isn't enough at all. For starters, liverpool have very different players that are far more suited to playing a particular system, and as we all know, tactics are not simply static, interchangeable entities! Simply put, your problem could be a number of things, but without bringing up the analysis page, watching the ME to see where the issue may lie (e.g. too many long shots, very little passing play, players being tackled too often or having passes intercepted, etc) and letting us know what you see, it will be very difficult to offer sound advice.

Hey mate I created the "solid from the back 451" tactic its classical settings but download it and play a few games with it im not saying its the best thing ever but i would be more than willing to help you out on any questions my knowledge is limited compared to many who frequent this and other sites like this , but like i said im more than willing to help out on any aspects on making your own 451 formation:thup:

Hey mate I created the "solid from the back 451" tactic its classical settings but download it and play a few games with it im not saying its the best thing ever but i would be more than willing to help you out on any questions my knowledge is limited compared to many who frequent this and other sites like this , but like i said im more than willing to help out on any aspects on making your own 451 formation:thup:

listen to this man he has created a wonderfull tactic i would recomend it to any one

I play a 4-5-1 formation with Man Utd that is completely dominating in every competition that I am in.

These are the roles and duties that I use

GK - Sweeper Keeper

DR - Wingback - Auto

DC - Centre Back - Defend

DL - Wingback - Auto

DM - Defensive Midfielder

MC - Advanced Playmaker - Support

AMR - Inside Forward - Attack

AML - Inside Forward - Attack

ST - Deep Lying Forward - Attack (although I change the striker's role to a Complete Striker or Target Man depending on the player)

This is working wonders for me at the moment. I am winning for fun. Although something that really made a difference is toning down long shots on each player by one notch (the same effect could be achieved by the "Work ball into box" shout).

I've got a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 depending on how you look at it that is working wonders with Chelsea right now... Obviously, Chelsea is great probably no matter what, but this is the first 4-5-1 that I've gotten to work with any of the big clubs with any consistency and it's due to my going back to old school tactics and not sticking to the set roles in FM10...

I have the following setup with the changes in advanced settings... (not so advanced if you've played FM before)

LB- full back auto * run from deep 'sometimes', long shots 'rarely', wide play 'hug touchline'

CB- cent def auto * mentality '-2 ticks',

CB- cent def auto * same as CB

RB- full back auto * same as LB

CM- box 2 box support * run from deep 'often', long shots 'sometimes', cross ball 'rarely', wide play 'move into channels', hold up ball 'no', if i'm playing a major opponent mentality '-2 ticks'

CM- deep lying playmaker defend * leave him be... if down late, switch to advanced attack...

CM- box 2 box support * same as other B2B

LW- inside forward attack * long shots 'rarely'

RW- same as LW

ST- advanced forward attack * mentality '+2 ticks'

What happens is it looks a lot more like the Mourinho Chelsea 4123, with a dropped back midfielder, only instead of playing like Makelele, I usually have Mikel or Ballack pulling strings... Mikel has been wonderful in this role. I prefer him in bigger matches now in year 2... the two other midfielders are box 2 boxers with a lot of tweaks. The Box 2 Box midfielders take WAY WAY WAY too many long shots. So I dropped it down, as well as the inside forwards to hardly ever...

Lampard, Essien and when they are in the role, Mikel and Ballack are very good in this setup... they dig in on defense, and push up on attack...

The wing play is where I finally figured out to set to inside forwards and not 'winger'... I bought Landon Donovan and paired him with Cole on the wings and they've been playing wonderfully, I even have them switching positions, and it's been fun to watch. They cut in, dribble to the box and set up Drogba or Anelka very well... They provide crosses from time to time, but really they are deadly when cutting in.

The back 4 have gone 4-5 match stretches consistantly without conceding... Terry, Carvalho and Alex have been great, and I've added Shawcross in year 2, and it's working well. Simple, no nonsense defending. The fullbacks (Cole and a mix of Essien, Bosingwa, and now in year 2 Srna) are doing their job capably, thinking defend first, but making big runs and sending in crosses when needed. I would think that if they didn't have such great pace, I'd be screwed, but they do, and I'm playing as Chelsea, so I get away with it...

Anyhow- it's the most succesful 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 / 4-1-2-3 I've used. The players on the pitch are behaving well.

@andrjam48 - Thanks for your suggestion, I used your tactic for 3 games, won 4-1, 4-0 and 5-2...I would have carried on but it felt like I was cheating so I started my game again and I am attempting to start my tactics from scratch.

@Pleming - Thanks for that, I didn't realise that this version of FM had the advanced player settings. Got my tactic working now!

I play a 4-5-1 formation with Man Utd that is completely dominating in every competition that I am in.

These are the roles and duties that I use

GK - Sweeper Keeper

DR - Wingback - Auto

DL - Wingback - Auto

DM - Defensive Midfielder

AMR - Inside Forward - Attack

AML - Inside Forward - Attack

ST - Deep Lying Forward - Attack (although I change the striker's role to a Complete Striker or Target Man depending on the player)

This is working wonders for me at the moment. I am winning for fun. Although something that really made a difference is toning down long shots on each player by one notch (the same effect could be achieved by the "Work ball into box" shout).

Im using a simliar setup to with Benfica and its work pretty well, just wondering what team settings you use ?.

I keep swaping between fluid and rigid, i can't seem to find the right settings.

@andrjam48 - Thanks for your suggestion, I used your tactic for 3 games, won 4-1, 4-0 and 5-2...I would have carried on but it felt like I was cheating so I started my game again and I am attempting to start my tactics from scratch.

@Pleming - Thanks for that, I didn't realise that this version of FM had the advanced player settings. Got my tactic working now!

just use my tactics as a base and tweak them to suit your team more and build upon it :)

that way they become your tactics :thup:

Archived