[FM10] Tales from the San Siro

CAFCIan75

Tales from the San Siro - an AC Milan story

Game Set-up:

Original Version with a medium database

Leagues loaded:

Italian Leagues (Serie C2 and above), English Leagues (Blue Square North/South and above), Germany (Second division and above), Holland (Juliper League and above), Portugal (Liga Vitalis and above), Spain (Second Division B and above), Argentina (Second Division and above) and Brazil (Third Division and above)

Unlike a lot of stories on this forum I have decided to start at the top and see where my career takes me. I have never been very good at the tactical side of this game so in all honesty I may be lucky to last one season. Any tactics I create will be my own and not downloaded. I have started with a professional footballer reputation to give me a fighting chance of getting a reasonable job should I lose my current job.

Please Note: I will not be using/providing any screenshots in my summaries so please don’t ask.

I have decided to start my career at AC Milan a team I have supported since 1988 and the days of Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard. So for those of you who don’t know here is a bit of background information.

1099.png

AC Milan are an Italian club founded by English lace maker Herbert Kilpin in 1899. They are funnily enough based in Milan, Italy and have spent all but two seasons of their existence in the top division in Italian football.

They have won the Serie A title on seventeen occasions the most recent being the 2003-04 season. They have only won the Coppa Italia five times as Milan do not take the competition as seriously as other clubs. One competition they do take seriously is the UEFA Champions League a trophy they have won seven times the most recent being the 2006-07 season. They have also won five UEFA Super Cups and also the FIFA World Club Cup on one occasion in 2007.

AC Milan play at the Giuseppe Meazza Stadium in Milan though AC fans prefer to call it the San Siro after the district in Milan where the stadium is located. Giuseppe Meazza was a star for AC Milan’s hated rivals Inter Milan.

I will not be the first Englishman to manage AC Milan, I will in fact be the fourth English manager after Herbert Kilpin, (1900-08), Herbert Burgess (1926-28) and William Garbutt (1937 – I hope I last longer than this guy!).

I signed a two year contract worth £27,500 a week and was given a transfer budget of £13million and an extra £60,000 a week for wages (I later decreased the transfer budget to £11.5million thus increasing the wage budget to an extra £120,000 per week).

I have decided I will do one update on transfers and pre-season and do monthly updates from there.

I hope you enjoy my career updates, any feedback/comments would be appreciated, thank you

Transfers and Pre-Season...

Transfers...

I made four signings during pre-season all to add competition to an already good squad. My first signing was Athletic Bilbao wonderkid Iker Muniain. I had to pay Athletic £1.8million in compensation a fee that I believed will be small change when the 16 year old matures into a world class striker.

My second and third signings were made to add some younger blood to my aging squad. First in was Norwegian centre back Tore Reginiussen from Tromso for £1million closely followed by Czech Republic midfielder Marek Suchy from Slavia Prague for the same fee. My scout informed me that he thought Marek would blossom into a world class midfielder in the future.

My final signing of pre-season was the loan signing of Real Madrid midfielder Rafael van der Vaart on a season long deal. I paid £1.5million for the loan and I have an option to sign him for £10million at any point during the loan.

Pre-Season...

Pre-season was very productive with seventeen goals scored and only one conceded. I must admit the quality of the opposition was not the best but you can only beat what is put in front of you.

I decided I was going to operate with a narrow 4-4-2 diamond formation this season with Andrea Pirlo being my playmaker on the left of the diamond and one of the strikers operating as a target man. Due to the quality we possess in midfield I decided to use a control strategy to try and control the match in the centre of the park to try and create chances for our strikers.

25/07/2009 vs Shenzhen FC (a) won 3-0 (Seedorf 56, Onyewu 59, Pirlo 90)

29/07/2009 vs Qingdao Zhongneng (a) won 4-0 (Pato 19 & 30, Huntelaar 65, Seedorf 77)

02/08/2009 vs Dalian Shide (a) won 2-0 (van der Vaart 25, Huntelaar 31)

07/08/2009 vs Beijing Guo’an (a) won 6-1 (Pato 7 & 58, Ronaldinho 24 & 26, Pirlo 51, Muniain 62)

15/08/2009 vs Celtic (h) won 2-0 (Ronaldinho 39, Pirlo 42)

* Please note: Pre-Season is a bit brief, I will go into more detail when the season starts properly next update.

Ian nice to see you start up this thread :thup:

Hope it goes well this year and you can keep your job. What are the board expectations? Looks like you've signed well. Getting VdV on loan can only be a good thing. Is he at the point of the diamond? I've not heard of the Norwegian defender, nor Suchy but it sounds like they'll give good depth to the squad as well as providing great prospects to the future of Milan. Look forward to reading more :)

A nice start there, 5 out of 5 even if they were freindlies. I've signed Suchy in past games and he turned out to be quality for me. Good luck at Milan, the pressure of managing them is going to be tough even with your professional rep (i'm sure you knew that anyway ;)).

Ron6632 & SamCCFC – thanks for the support, I hope I can keep you entertained.

Iacovone – thanks for the encouragement to start the thread. The board expect us to challenge for the Serie A title, to reach the Champions League Quarter Finals and they don’t care about the Coppa Italia. Yeah my initial aim is to play van der Vaart at the point of the diamond rotating with Ronaldinho though he has the creativity to fill in for Pirlo in the playmaker role when required. The Norwegian defender I’ve signed before, he makes the odd mistake but he is a good squad player and useful to have on the bench.

Raware – Thanks for the support. I’ve never signed Suchy before so he is unknown to me but his stats looked good for a 21 year old and my scouts think he has great potential. I think he may find it hard to get in ahead of Gattuso or Ambrosini but he like Reginiussen could be good players to come on if needed from the bench.

August 2009...

Only two games this month along with the draw for the UEFA Champion’s League Group Stages. We were drawn against CSKA Moscow, Maccabi Haifa and Besiktas in Group E. I thought the Champion’s League draw was very kind to us considering Group B contains Barcelona, Marseille, FC Porto and Standard Liege!

23/08/2009 Serie A vs Parma (a) won 1-0 (Gattuso 44)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Onyewu, Ambrosini, Gattuso (Seedorf), Pirlo, Ronaldinho (van der Vaart), Huntelaar (Boriello), Pato

- A fantastic start to the season although the 1-0 scoreline did not reflect the match fully. Newly promoted Parma were awful in my opinion we had over thirty shots on goal and hit the bar twice!

29/08/2009 Serie A vs Juventus (h) won 2-1 (Ronaldinho 24, Huntelaar 26/ Cannavaro 81)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta (Kaladze), Onyewu, Ambrosini, Gattuso (Seedorf), Pirlo, Ronaldinho, Huntelaar, Pato (Inzaghi)

- We were hanging on in there at the end following the red card Huntelaar received for violent conduct twenty minutes from time. Our first half display was great and 2-0 at half time was a fair reflection on the way we played. The second was tighter and when Cannavaro scored just before the end we went ultra defensive with our ten men and held out.

Following the match the Italian FA increased the one match ban that Huntelaar would normally receive to a three match ban for his violent conduct. I saw no point in appealing it was a bad tackle hence the one week fine I dished out.

Danmanager08 - Thanks, I definately felt that I needed to introduce some younger players. With Pirlo, Seedorf, Nesta, Gattuso, Abbiati, Zambrotta, Dida & Ambrosini to name a few all on or around the thirty mark it is definately something that needs addressing over the next few seasons.

September 2009...

Five matches this month considering there was also an international break thrown in for good measure. Three Serie A matches and our opening two matches in the UEFA Champions League. A bit of history was made this month when Iker Muniain replaced Pato against Lazio he became the youngest player ever to play in Serie A. The only problem the team seem to be having at the moment is disciplinary as you will see from the results summaries.

13/09/2009 Serie A vs Lazio (a) won 1-0 (Boriello 49)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Onyewu, Ambrosini, Gattuso (Suchy), Pirlo, Ronaldinho, Boriello (Inzaghi), Pato (Muniain)

- Another solid display away from home against Lazio in a match I would have taken a point in. The lob from Marco Boriello was outstanding and worthy of winning any football match.

16/09/2009 Champions League Group E vs Maccabi Haifa (h) won 2-0 (Seedorf 21 & 89)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Onyewu, Ambrosini (Suchy), Gattuso, Seedorf, van der Vaart (Ronaldinho), Huntelaar, Muniain (Pato)

- I decided to rest a couple of players with Seedorf starting and van der Vaart and Muniain making their full debuts for us. My decision to play Seedorf paid off with his double strike taking care of a poor Maccabi Haifa team. The only downside was Marek Suchy suffered a groin injury and will be out till early October.

20/09/2009 Serie A vs Sampdoria (h) won 3-0 (Pato 19, 52 & 60)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Onyewu, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Pirlo, Ronaldinho (van der Vaart), Boriello (Inzaghi), Pato (Muniain)- Boriello got the nod ahead of Inzaghi in attack but it was Pato who stole the show with a superb hat-trick. This was most definitely our best performance of the season so far from an attacking point of view.

26/09/2009 Serie A vs Livorno (h) won 2-0 (Pato 76 & 90)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Pirlo (Seedorf), Ronaldinho (van der Vaart), Boriello (Inzaghi), Pato

- Pato took his tally to five goals in five Serie A fixtures with his double in this match. Thiago Silva made his first start of the season for us at the back and he had a great game and gave me a bit of a selection dilemma.

| Current Position after 5 games    | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| [b][color="Red"]1st [/color][/b]                              | [color="red"][b]AC MILAN  [/b][/color]      |       | [color="red"][b]5[/b][/color]     | [color="red"][b]5 [/b][/color]    | [color="red"][b]0 [/b][/color]    |[color="red"][b] 0 [/b][/color]    | [b][color="red"]9[/color][/b]     | [color="red"][b]1 [/b][/color]    | [color="red"][b]+8[/b][/color]    | [color="red"][b]15 [/b][/color]   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

29/09/2009 Champions League Group E vs CSKA Moscow (a) won 4-3 (van der Vaart 9, Gattuso 30, Pato 37, Huntelaar 51/ Guilherme 3 & 45, Necid 79)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Flamini, Gattuso, Pirlo (Seedorf), van der Vaart (Ronaldinho), Huntelaar, Pato (Muniain)

- Wow what a match, how we held on with nine men I will never know. We were cruising at 3-1 and 4-2 but Gennaro Gattuso was sent off after 67 minutes and then Gianluca Zambrotta followed him on 81 minutes and we still managed to hold on for the last nine minutes.

ron6632 - Yeah it has been a great start, with players like Silva, Huntelaar and Pato in the team I think we have a good young base to build from.

iacavone - It has been a good start defensively. I put it all down to the narrow formation I am playing it seems to squeeze all the play in the middle and maybe the quality of the opposition might help!

October 2009...

Today was a good month as we preserved our unbeaten record but we did lose our 100% record early on in the month. Another piece of history was made this month as Klaas-Jan Huntelaar scored the fastest ever goal by an AC Milan player. His 26 second strike against Bologna beat Filippo Inzaghi's strike against Liverpool in 2005.

04/10/2009 Serie A vs Siena (a) drew 1-1 (Inzaghi 71/ Maccarone 82)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva (Onyewu), Ambrosini (Flamini), Gattuso, Pirlo, Ronaldinho, Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato

- Our first dropped points of the season against Siena. To be honest we were fortunate to get a point as Siena somehow outplayed us for long periods.

17/10/2009 Serie A vs Fiorentina (h) won 2-0 (Huntelaar 45, Gattuso 72)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta (Onyewu), Silva, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Pirlo (van der Vaart), Ronaldinho, Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato

- Back to winning ways following our disappointing display against Siena. I played a high defensive line in this one and it stopped Fiorentina playing their natural game and restricted them to just three chances all match.

20/10/2009 UEFA Champions League vs Besiktas (a) won 1-0 (Pato 44)

Line-up: Dida, Oddo, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini, Flamini, Pirlo (Seedorf), van der Vaart, Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato (Muniain)

- We all but secured our passage into the next round of the Champions League with this win. Rafael van der Vaart was the star for us at the tip of the diamond and it was his through ball that let in Pato for the winner just before half time.

25/10/2009 Serie A vs Udinese (h) won 2-1 (Pato 28, Pirlo 46/ Di Natale 30)

Team: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Flamini, Gattuso (Seedorf), Pirlo, Ronaldinho (van der Vaart), Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato

- Udinese proved to be tough opposition at the San Siro in this match. Our winning goal though was worth the admission fee alone, Andrea Pirlo slotted home from twelve yards to finish a sweeping fifteen pass move. Truly magnificent stuff!

28/10/2009 Serie A vs Bologna (a) won 4-0 (Huntelaar 1, 10 & (pen) 77, Pato 18)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini, Gattuso (Seedorf), Pirlo (van der Vaart), Ronaldinho, Huntelaar, Pato (Muniain)

- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar was the star of the show in this one with a fine hat-trick including the fastest goal ever scored by an AC Milan player. To be honest 3-0 up after eighteen minutes we were never in any danger of losing this one.

| Serie A table: 31/10/2009         | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| [b][color="Red"]1st  [/color][/b]                             | [color="red"][b]AC MILAN [/b][/color]       |       | [color="red"][b]9[/b][/color]     | [color="red"][b]8[/b][/color]     | [color="red"][b]1[/b][/color]     | [color="red"][b]0 [/b][/color]    | [color="red"][b]18[/b][/color]    | [color="red"][b]3[/b][/color]     | [color="red"][b]+15 [/b][/color]  |[color="red"][b] 25 [/b][/color]   | 
| 2nd                               | JUVENTUS        |       | 9     | 7     | 1     | 1     | 23    | 4     | +19   | 22    | 
| 3rd                               | GENOA           |       | 10    | 6     | 2     | 2     | 17    | 18    | -1    | 20    | 
| 4th                               | LAZIO           |       | 10    | 5     | 2     | 3     | 19    | 12    | +7    | 17    | 
| 5th                               | INTER MILAN     |       | 9     | 5     | 2     | 2     | 14    | 8     | +6    | 17    |
| 6th                               | FIORENTINA      |       | 9     | 5     | 1     | 3     | 11    | 7     | +4    | 16    | 

Welcome aboard CAFCIan75.

Good to see a career with a big club as we don't see many.

I like your monthly updates, they are just the right size not to put people off reading through and the different colours make it easy for people who like to skim through to pick out the infomation they are looking for.

Keep up the good work :thup:

WH - Thanks for the welcome, I am trying to keep it readable for all. To be honest although I support Milan I have not considered a career game with them before. I am delighted with how we have started but historically my formation creations get found out by the computer two thirds through the season and I start to struggle!

November 2009...

A cracking month for the us this month starting with an incredible comeback against Palermo and ending with victory in the Milan derby. I am delighted how the players have adapted to me tight compact formation and it seems to be paying dividends at the moment. I also secured the signing of a young Argentine talent from Benfica.

01/11/2009 Serie A vs Palermo (h) won 3-2 (Inzaghi 59 & 88, Onyewu 64/ Bovo 33 & 56)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Onyewu, Silva, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Pirlo, Ronaldinho (van der Vaart), Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato

- Two goals down after 56 minutes so I brought on Inzaghi and went for all out attack. When it went 2-2 I would have taken a draw but Inzaghi popped up to head the winner prompting me to do a Mourinhoesque run down the touchline!

04/11/2009 UEFA Champions League vs Besiktas (h) won 3-0 (Inzaghi 83, Huntelaar 86 & 90)

Line-up: Abbiati, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Onyewu, Silva, Ambrosini, Suchy (Gattuso), Seedorf, van der Vaart, Boriello (Inzaghi), Pato (Huntelaar)

- A great last ten minutes secured our spot in the last sixteen. Filippo Inzaghi again came off the bench and scored giving a potential selection dilemma up front. Well he did for three minutes and then Huntelaar chipped in with a double blast to justify his selection.

07/11/2009 Serie A vs AS Roma (a) won 2-1 (Pato 26, Gattuso 39/ Baptista 42)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini, Gattuso (Seedorf), Pirlo, van der Vaart (Ronaldinho), Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato

- Probably my best result as manager. To be honest Roma have had a poor start to the season and I probably played them at just the right time. For the record their manager got the sack just after the match.

Wednesday 11th November...

- Today I completed the signing of Benfica attacking midfielder Angel Di Maria for a cut price £4million. In my opinion if this guy reaches his potential he will be worth ten times what we played. I see him as backup to Ronaldinho as I don’t think we will be able to afford Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid in the summer.

11/07/2009 Serie A vs Catania (a) won 1-0 (van der Vaart 35)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta (Reginussen), Silva, Suchy, Gattuso, Pirlo (Ronaldinho), van der Vaart, Huntelaar, Pato (Boriello)

- I decided this game would be a good game to rest Ronaldinho and my decision paid dividends as van der Vaart popped up with the winning goal. If I am to be honest Catania probably deserved a point in this one.

21/11/2009 Serie A vs Genoa (h) won 4-2 (Pato 32, Gattuso 51 & 67, van der Vaart 69/ Figueroa 6, Zapater 55)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini (Suchy), Gattuso, Pirlo (Ronaldinho), van der Vaart, Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato

- Three second half goals in less than 20 minutes certainly won this game for us. Genoa are playing well this season but they are conceding a lot of goals so after half time I went all out attack and it worked.

24/11/2009 UEFA Champions League vs Maccabi Haifa (a) won 3-1 (Flamini 5, Ronaldinho 25 & 50/ Katan 45)

Line-up: Abbiati, Oddo, Antonini, Onyewu, Kaladze, Suchy (Gattuso), Flamini, Seedorf (van der Vaart), Ronaldinho, Inzaghi (Boriello), Muniain

- Today was a great display by players who are not automatic first choice players at present. They all gave 100% and proved to me that I will be able to call upon them and they will do a job for me in my first XI if required.

28/11/2009 Serie A vs Inter Milan (a) won 1-0 (Pato 25)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Pirlo, van der Vaart (Ronaldinho), Huntelaar (Inzaghi), Pato

- Superb performance in what was possibly the best defensive performance since I became manager. Inter absolutely battered us in the second half and we were lucky to get the win.

| Current Position after 14 games   | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| [color="Red"][b]1st[/b][/color]                               | [color="red"][b]AC MILAN [/b][/color]       |       | [b][color="red"]14 [/color][/b]   | [color="red"][b]13 [/b][/color]   | [color="red"][b]1 [/b][/color]    | [color="red"][b]0 [/b][/color]    | [b][color="red"]29 [/color][/b]   | [color="red"][b]8 [/b][/color]    | [color="red"][b]+21 [/b][/color]  | [color="red"][b]40 [/b][/color]   | 

December 2009...

Not much match action this month (4 matches as opposed to 7 matches last month) but we did lose Dida at the end of the month to a knee injury that would keep him out for six weeks or so. Highlight of the month had to be the eight goal thriller we had with Cagliari at the San Siro.

06/12/2009 Serie A vs Atalanta (h) won 1-0 (Huntelaar 19)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini (Suchy), Gattuso (Seedorf), Pirlo, van der Vaart, Huntelaar, Pato (Muniain)

- A solid home performance from us in this one, we were certainly not at our best but Atalanta’s goalkeeper frustrated us and we could not add to the early strike from Huntelaar. The fact he was voted man of the match shows just how well he played.

09/12/2009 UEFA Champions League vs CSKA Moscow (h) lost 0-1 (Ignashevich pen 21)

Line-up: Abbiati, Oddo, Jankulovski (Silva), Onyewu, Kaladze, Suchy, Gattuso, Seedorf (Pedrocchi), Ronaldinho, Inzaghi, Muniain (Boriello)

- The fact we had already qualified could not hide my disappointment at the loss we suffered in this match. I felt it necessary to play our fringe/reserve players and it backfired on me.

12/12/2009 Serie A vs Bari (a) won 2-0 (Flamini 25, Huntelaar 29)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Antonini, Nesta, Silva, Ambrosini, Flamini, Pirlo (Seedorf), van der Vaart (Ronaldinho), Huntelaar, Pato (Inzaghi)

- Two goals midway through the first half won us this one and to be perfectly honest we should have won by five or six but three points is three points and I’ll take it every time.

Friday 18th December...

We were drawn against FC Porto in the First Knockout Round of the Champions League. With the second leg being at the San Siro we will look to secure an away goal or two in the first leg.

19/12/2009 Serie A vs Cagliari (h) won 5-3 (Ronaldinho 2, 24 & pen 76, Licht og 9, Pirlo 34/ Conti 6 & 54, Jeda 41)

Line-up: Dida, Zambrotta, Antonini, Nesta, Silva (Bonera), Ambrosini, Flamini, Pirlo (van der Vaart), Ronaldinho, Huntelaar (Boriello), Pato

- Wow what a match! Ronaldinho was the star with a stunning hat-trick in this match but I was extremely disappointed we managed to let in three goals although we may have scored five.

Sunday 27th December...

- We suffered a bit of a blow today as Dida suffered a knee injury in training and was ruled out for six weeks or so.

You've made a great start to the season, I'm a big fan of Huntelaar and he seems to be doing well for you. Will be interesting to see if you bring anyone else in with Di Maria in January as it'll be tough for them to break into the team with the current players in such good form. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Archived