iseemonsters' FM08 Small club to big club South American challenge

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks alot for the support. i have a question. is there a program that u could just save all of the pictures that i save using print screen without going back an forth to photoshop and fm? so when i am done taking all photos and just switch once to photoshop

my profile:here

well i unfortunately have 0 budget,which means i cant buy anything, i am trying out some free transfers and i already sign a defender since my defs sucks. kind of sucks since i have only one striker which is the best player of the team and when i manage teams i love to have 5 strikers. since there is no budget and there isn't really any good striker i could get in free transfer so i am going to play with a formation i never played before which is the 4-3-2-1 which is like barca formation. so far i won my first friendly using this formation. one more thing i dislike alot is the teams name icon_frown.gif. they are called FLORIDA SOCCER.... i am colombian so i have alot of knowledge of the country so is good though but is still very hard challenge since is very hard to win a competition in colombia.icon_smile.gif. great challenge iseemonsters and good luck to all of u guys

Good luck with Florida Soccer, at least the club coulours are nice icon_biggrin.gif

If you can get a parent club it would help your situation out a lot. I got almost a whole first team from my parent club in the first two seasons and it really helped saving money and establishing myself in the division.

hehehe. well i already applied for another parent club with my board so hopefully it will come soon since my parent club has NO players whatsoever to let me loan...... there is like 5 but they suck. i am signing oldies to help. i didn't really like that formation since in colombian is uneffective so i am probably going to play with a the 4-4-2 or 4-1-4-1. it would suck if i get a foreign parent like corinthiano lol icon_biggrin.gif.

It was minisav that got the foreign parent club, I was the lucky one icon_biggrin.gif

The best about it is that I keep beating my former parent club now that I am in the First Division. And to put the icing on the cake, with lots of players I ve signed on a bosman from them!

I am more of a fan of season updates, when something interesting happens halfway through the season I report that at the time.

You could also do a report for the Opening and one for the Closing Stage. I think I will be doing that seeing as I think I m on course for qualification to the quarters in the Opening Stage icon_smile.gif

And hopefully you ll do well against them in the league!

There are quite a lot of pretty big clubs in Argentina. Independiente, Newell's, Racing, Velez, San Lorenzo, Estudiantes are all considered to be pretty big and all have good players, hte biggest example being Veron at Estudiantes (I know he was rubbish at Man U, but in Argentina he is a legend!). Good luck in the top flight icon14.gif

San Antonio Unido Update - 2011 Opening Stage

League Table

Groups

Well now the time to explain the qualification process has come icon_smile.gif The 20 clubs are divided into 4 groups of 5 (by which criteria I dont know). The best two teams of each group qualify for the quarter finals. But there is a catch!! If a team has finished in the top eight in the leageu table, but only finished 3rd in their group, they play a one match playoff against the worst second placed team in the Groups. This was the case this time as Everton (CHI) finished 7th in the League Table and got to play against Union Espanola. Union Espanola gets the advantage of playing at home and qualifying in case of a drwa, which they did.

So I got to play 2nd placed Palestino in the Quarters, a team which I havent got a good record against.

First Leg

Second Leg

The First Leg was very entertainig and I was heading for a win until the last minute when Palestino managed to get an equaliser. As there is no away goals rule I was hopeful of stealing a 1-0 win or getting a 0-0 draw and trying my luck in the penalties in the Second Leg. However Palestino scored in the 13th minute to completely ruin my plan. In the second half I went out all atack with little succes and conceded another two goals in the last 10 minutes.

Although the score line suggests Palestino had an easy tie, it was a close battle and I was happy with my first forray into the playoffs. I hope I manage to get into the Quarter Finals again in the Closing Stage and maybe go a step further by reaching the semi finals.

Pre-season

Moron V Estudiantes(LP): 9-0

Yes. You see that right. 9! They only had 1 player sent off too. icon_biggrin.gif

Moron V Colon: 0-3

Oh well.

Moron V Arsenal de Sarandi: 3-6

Okay. We scored 3. icon_smile.gif

Moron V River: 1-5

We scored. icon_smile.gif

Moron V Rampla Juniors: 0-3

icon_frown.gif

Moron V Boca: 0-2

Good results considering the stars they have.

Moron V Quilmes: 3-2

We won. icon_biggrin.gif

Awards and Stuff

Squad

Last Seasons Best XI

Country Awards

Proof of 9-0!

Cassini won Fans' Player of the Year.

Opening Match Versus Newly Promoted Union.

River won the Copa Sudamerica last year.

Thanks for the support Corinthiano. Good luck in the closing stage! icon14.gif

Welcome to the challenge Andaos. Good luck in Colombia, if it's anything like Uruguay things are pretty hard at first but once you get through the first season and put a decent team together things get a lot easier. Oh and about saving screenshots, dunno if this is what you mean but I find it easier to just run FM08 in a window and use MS paint to paste into, it takes much less memory than photoshop so no need to close down FM every time you want to copy/paste.

Well done with 11th place last season Corinthiano, I see Deportes Concepcion were relegated.. they have a couple of quality players I've been trying to sign (Cortes, Molina). Good job reaching the quarter finals in the '11 opening. Does that competition determine the winners of the opening stage, or is it something to do with CL/CSA qualification? And how's Millan doing this season btw? icon_wink.gif

What season you in now Minisav? Cassini looks pretty hot, who's going to partner him up front next season? And Escalada, is he yours or you have him on loan? He's freakin awesome in my game /drool.

I'm actually in my 4th season now but been slacking a bit with the updates. Here's the 10/11 season, 11/12 coming soon.

Club Oriental de Futbol – 2010/11 Season Update – Uruguayan 2nd Division

Opening Stage

Things started disappointingly with a 1-0 defeat away to Plaza Colonia and Oriental fans were no doubt expecting another fruitless season, but a 6-1 victory against newly promoted Mar de Fondo in the next game served as a platform for success. We went from strength to strength losing just one match from the remaining 14 ( 3-1 at home against promotion hopefuls Taracuarembo) to end the open season in second place on 33 points, 5 points off league leaders Rampla Juniors.

Closing Stage

A similarly consistent performance in the closing stage saw us accrue 35 points from 16 games, losing just twice aginst Taracuarembo (again) and Cerro Largo. Fortunatley Rampla Juniors were a bit short on form and were beaten 5 times (including a crucial 4-3 away defeat to Bella Vista on the final day of the season) to end the close in 6th position.

League table

So after 2 seasons of battling against relegation Club Oriental finally secured automatic promotion to the top flight, finishing in 1st place on 68 points, 2 points clear of the competition. Rampla Juniors and Taracuarembo were promoted through the playoffs which was no less than they deserved.

Transfers

Much of our success was down to the link with our parent club Danubio. I knew I we were lucky to be linked with them cos they have by far the best youth setup in the league, and having loaned out some youngsters during the first two seasons we were able to sign 5 of them at the start of the 3rd, all on free transfers. Most notable were highly rated midfield playmaker Gerardo Vonder Putton and target man Gustavo Aprile. Striker Williams Peralta joined on loan and was in deadly scoring form. I also managed to offload a few players, raising £185k to help balance the books.

Best XI

Central midfielder Damian Paz captained the side and had an excellent season scoring 10 goals from midfield. Vice Captain Diego Viera was a rock at the back and former Uruguayan Under-21 international Mauro Goicochea is developing into a quality keeper. But two players in particular impressed over the course of the season. Gerardo Vonder Putton racked up an impressive 4 goals and 18 assists in his 29 appearances and Williams Peralta was in legendary goalscoring form, netting 23 goals in 27 starts with an average rating of 7.45.

finances

Despite raising nearly £200k from player sales, club finances are looking quite bleak. On a positive note the value of my players has risen considerably due to promotion so I’m confident that we’ll be able to stay out of administration by offloading a couple of players next season.

…and elsewhere

Argentinian side San Lorenzo won the Copa Libertadores, beating Brazilians Cruziero in the final on penalties. The Copa Sudamerica also featured an Argentina vs Brazil final with Brazilians Sao Paulo coming out on top with a 2-1 aggregate victory over River.

Cheers Minisav, I did stay up icon_wink.gif

Club Oriental de Futbol – 2011/12 Season Update – Uruguayan 1st Division

Preseason

I decided that the players who won us promotion last season were good enough to compete in the top division, so I only brought in a couple of new faces. Danubio cancelled the link with us as I’d expected but I did manage to entice a couple more of their players first.

Williams Peralta decided he didn’t want to join on loan again this but I was determined to sign him and so I adjusted my budget and made a club record bid of £750k – however he still wasn’t interested saying he’d “find it hard to move away from Monteviedo†;/ I wasn’t about to give up though and on transfer deadline day he eventually agreed to a 3 year contract worth £1500 per week. To be honest I payed over the odds for him and it was a bit of a risk considering club finances were all ready looking pretty desperate, but the fans love him and given his goalscoring record for the club over the past 2 seasons I felt we really had to make him an Oriental player.

The other signings of note were 6’5’’ solid centre back Marcelo Silva who I ended up paying £325k for from Danubio, and former Real Madrid defensive Midfielder Pablo Garcia, who at 35 is well past his best but I think he can do a job for us all the same.

We played 4 preseason friendlies all against Uruguayan 1st division opposition, drawing the first 3 but coming away with a creditable 2-0 away victory against Durazno in the final one.

Opening Stage

Things started slowly, as usual, but we managed to pick up a point from our first 2 games so I was hopeful we’d be able to steer clear of relegation. Our season was really kick started in the 3rd game though as we cruised to a deserved 3-2 home victory against Penarol. From there on our form was nothing short of magical, as we went on a 9 match unbeaten run, eventually coming unstuck against league holders Danubio who thumped us 4-0 at Jardines del Hipodromo. It was lucky that was close to the end of the season as we failed to recapture our excellent form, but still managed to end the season in 3rd place on 30 points, 8 short of Danubio.

Closing Stage

In the closing stage we proved that our excellent opening stage form was no fluke. However Penarol took their revenge, beating us 4-0, and this started a poor run that saw us lose to 5 out of the top 6 teams, snatching only a fortuitous 2-2 draw with Danubio. We finished the close season in 6th position. Penarol won the stage on goal difference from Nacional.

League table

Danubio finished first by some distance in the end and it would perhaps have been by more had they not already qualified for the Champions playoff from their opening season victory. But The battle for overall second place was tense, with no less than 4 teams battling it out on the final day. Nacional needed only a draw to secure 2nd place, but they blew it by losing 2-0 away to Racing (URU) who, to their credit, deserved the victory and finished 7th overall. This left the door open for Defensor Sporting but they could only manage a 2-2 home draw against Danubio. Monteviedo Wanderers could still have clinched it but lost out as they drew 1-1 away against already relegated Rampla Juniors. So it was Club Oriental de Futbol who, in their first season in the top flight, secured an unlikely second place with a 2-0 home victory against Mirimar Misiones. We missed out on the Championship playoff in which Danubio (opening stage winners) defeated Penarol (closing stage winners) 3-2 on aggregate, meaning that technically we finished 3rd overall in the division but should hopefully still qualify for the Copa Sudamerica due to finishing 2nd in the overall league table.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/McTavishHLI/Li...a.jpg]Liguilla[/url]

The top 6 teams from the league table qualify for a mini-tournament in the close season, called the Liguilla Pre-Libertadores. From what I understand the championship winner/loser qualify for the Libertadores automatically, with the next best placed team in the Liguilla making up the 3rd spot.

Club Oriental got off to a good start, beating Wanderers 1-0 at home in a match we dominated. But playing against much more reputable teams we couldn’t maintain that form, losing narrowly 1-0 to Penarol and Defensor Sporting away. In the penultimate game against Nacional Christian Paz, brother of Oriental captian Damian Paz, was sent off in the 5th minute for a cynical foul but in a performance that optimized our performance in the competition we failed to make the extra man pay and the game ended in a 0-0 stalemate. In the final game we were thrashed 4-1 by Danubio, ending in 5th position in the table. Copa Libertadores qualifiers will (if my theory is correct) be Danubio, Penarol and (through the LIguilla) Defensor Sporting. Maybe next season icon_wink.gif

Transfers

As mentioned we didn’t sign many players this season, opting for quality over quantity. We did pick up 3 more Dunubio youngsters on frees in the January transfer window, along with Columbian regen Xavier Maya and Chilean midfielder Joan Munoz for £65k which I think was a bargain. Munoz was bought to replace Vonder Putton, who decided he wasn’t going to renew his contract. Rather than lose him on a free I transfer listed him for some extortionate amount and was shocked when Taracuarembo came in with a £2.3m bid!! Most of it is in monthly installments but I was pretty chuffed as this should solve our financial problems and means I won’t be forced to sell anyone else. Alsina, Olivera and Portela were also sold for tidy sums, bringing transfer income to a total of £2.5m for the season.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/McTavishHLI/BestXI.jpg]Best XI[/url]

Good performances all round this season. Damian Paz and Diego Viera carried their impressive form into this season. Peralta earned back some of his transfer fee, bagging 16 goals and looks to have formed an impressive partnership with Aprile who managed 12 for the season. New signings Joan Munoz and Marcelo Silva did well in their first seasons at the club. Pablo Garcia never really got going and was released on a free at the end of the season, having featured just 3 times.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/McTavishHLI/fi...2.jpg]Finances[/url]

After spending over 700k upfront on Peralta and Silva, club finances were at an all time low. At one point we were over £1m in debt but with administration looming the board offered a last minute reprieve, injecting over £400k into the club in two separate instalments. Since the sale of Vonder Putton finances are looking a lot healthier, and with most of the fee still to be paid via monthly instalments we’re making a comfortable monthly profit. In a few months we’ll likely be back in the black again for the first time in 3 years!

…and elsewhere

2011/12 was another season in which clubs from Brazil and Argentina dominated the continental competitions. San Lorenzo retained the Copa Libertadores by beating Brazilians Internacional 7-1 on aggregate. Argentineans River made up for last season’s defeat in the Copa Sudamerica final, this time winning the competition with a 5-4 aggregate victory over Palmieras.

Thanks, I'll be glad to just make it into the Liguilla again.

Quick update while Shearer and Lawrenson Waffle away on MotD icon_biggrin.gif

So some excellent news in the opening season. The board decided that Parque Oriental was too small and are building a new ~9000 capacity ground with undersoil heating. The nice part is that the old stadium was sold for more than the new one is going to cost, netting me £300k and putting us back in the black! In other news, we agreed a new kit sponsorship deal with Va Por Vas worth £12k per year, and prestigous kit design company McTavish plc have put together a Copa Sudamerica kit. /cheer.

Minisav, good pre-season you ve had, mainly the 9-0 win against Estudiantes, do they still have Veron in the side?

Wow, you ve had a couple of really good seasons McTavish! icon14.gif Your transfer budget is pretty impressive too, my highest paid transfer is £16k! Still, you mnaged to cash in nicely afterwards icon_wink.gif. I like your tactic of signing former loanees from you parent club. I only managed to sign Izarnotegui, a left winger, but managed to sign loads of Colo Colo youngsters who are actually better icon_biggrin.gif

The quarter finals are actually played for the title, so consistency in the league doesnt matter too much. Last season Colo Colo were the best team in the regular league, but lost in the playoffs twice against the 8th best Audax Italiano. Audax Italiano even won a title being 8th in the OPening Stage last season!

Millan has been even more amzing this season, he scored 15 goals alone in the Opening Stage. His contract runs out at the end of the year and I tried offering him a contract. He rejected it though, so my wonderkid might be moving on next season icon_frown.gif

nice guide colorado, in the future i might take a look at it too. i know my way around brazil and colombia since already played there and was very succesful. well so far i manage to qualify to the playoffs in the open stage in 5th place but my nightmare began. in the playoffs already i played 2 games and lost, i got 4 more games to play but i doubt i will reach the final. I knew this was coming since my defenders were old and some were ***** now. i only have one good defender but he cant defend all. my offense is brilliant and score quite alot of goals. I brought like 5 veteran players but they have been very very helpful and some youngsters that seem really good, hopefully i can reach finals but for now i will prepare for closing stage. the way colombian qualifications work out is 8 teams qualify for 2 groups playoffs which each group obviously has 4 teams and the first team of both groups qualify to the final stage and they battle each other to see who wins but in the second division is the same except that at the end of the closing stage the team winner from first stage and second stage battle out again to see who promotes since only one team promotes, i dont know if fm added that the 2nd team of second division battle out the 17th team of first division to see if 2nd team promotes and 17th or stay up. that rule is kind of new since it was establish last year so i dont know. i will show pictures once i am done with first stage. About the parent club the freaking boardroom said that they were unable to find one............. is worse than minisav foreign club.icon_frown.gif. you guys making really good progress keep it up. great job mctavish you are almost there.

Thank you for the guide Colorado icon14.gif I have a few points on the Brzilian guide, I can e-mail it to you if you want.

Well done in reaching the group stage on the first go andaos, it seems to be pretty tough to go up in Colombia, good luck!!

Thank you for the guide Colorado I have a few points on the Brzilian guide, I can e-mail it to you if you want.

Sorry to be off topic again lads. Yes, I'm aware of a few issues with the Brazilian guide, mainly surrounding the Sao Paulo and Palmeiras.

Wow, you ve had a couple of really good seasons McTavish! icon14.gif Your transfer budget is pretty impressive too, my highest paid transfer is £16k! Still, you mnaged to cash in nicely afterwards icon_wink.gif.

Yeah I was surprised by our success - I think was mostly down to getting all those Danubio youngsters as they were by far better quality than anyone else I'd have been able to sign. They settled very quickly and were way too good for the second division. I also spent a lot of time at the beginning of my 3rd season rebuilding my tactics from wwfans TT&F guides - that approach seems to work better for me than Gallago's 2-6-2 framework.

WRT transfer funds, it was kinda strange (bugged?) in that when I got promoted my wage budget increased from £3k to £35k, and naturally I didn't need anything close to this much for wages so I was able to adjust budgets and switch £1.3m for transfers instead - despite already being £300k in debt. I took a bit of a risk spending so much in the preseason so it was a bit lucky in the end that I got such a high transfer fee for Vonder Putton.

iseemonsters, played a few Copa Sudamerica matches this season (update coming) and seems you only get prize money if you lose. However there's some sort of bug (or was for me at least) whereby you'll net an extra ~£200k gate receipts for home matches. It's weird though cos it'll say in news/records that at such-and-such CSA match we took record gate receipts of ~£18k but when you look on finances/income it'll show up as £200k+. Bit confusing, I guess when SI "fixed" the gate receipts earnings for Uruguay in 8.0.2 all they actually did was add some bonus income for continental matches. Let me know if you notice the same things as this should probably be posted on the bugs forum.

Congrats with making the playoffs Andaos, good going for your first season. I wouldn't worry too much about a parent club, last season my board decided to form a link with Flamengo without me even asking - I was even in the copa sudamerica at the time. Sadly the game crashed immediately after and the same thing didn't happen again, but I guess it shows they'll sometimes just link you with some club if they think you need it.

The finance thing happened to iseemosnters when he got promoted as well, and to me to a lesser extent. I guess because Chilean clubs have generally less money. I still put the budget adjustment issue down to bad South American financial planning icon_biggrin.gif

I am still on 8.01 (dont like getting a new patch in the middle of a save game) so I dont know if I ll get the same issue as you. I m still going to look out for it, although it might take another few seasons. I am having a terrible Closing Stage and might even be sucked inot a relegation battle!

Unlucky on the Flamengo link, it would have been really good to get a few of their youngsters to play for you. Hopefully you ll get a better club as your rep goes up, like Sao Paulo (hate to admit it) or Boca and River in Argentina. I am kinda hoping that this happens to me, although I have no more room for foreigners...

Same here, I signed Munoz this season and he takes up my 3rd foreigner spot icon_frown.gif Strange thing about the link though was that I can't request a parent club since the board think that "a club of our stature...blabla" - they just randomly linked me with Flamengo, who were about to send a couple of ace Brazilians to me on loan. To be honest I think that's what made the game crash since I've never been able to get a parent club while playing in the top division before.

I'm having a pretty awful season too. Might as well post an opening stage update..

Club Oriental de Futbol – 2012/13 Opening Stage Update – Uruguayan 1st Division

Pre-season

In a quiet pre-season we brought in only a couple of new faces. Speedy centre back Gonzalo Mualla joined on a free from Argentinian club Rosario Central, and Peruvian playmaker Reimond Manco joined for £300k from Colombians Quindio. My scouts said I should sign him “at all costs†but his stats look a bit lame – hopefully he’ll fulfil his potential!

Opening Stage Table

Well I think we’re suffering from 2nd season syndrome, as our second season in the top flight has been pretty awful so far. After last seasons performance we were tipped to finish in 6th place but struggled to find any form and managed just 3 wins from 15 games. I put this down to fitness levels as it’s tough playing in a continental competition along side the league, especially with a small squad. Hopefully in the closing stage we can find some form and at least end the season in a respectable league position.

Club Oriental de Futbol – 2012/13 Copa Sudamerica Update

First Preliminary Round - Oriental vs. C Olimpia

After slumping to a 0-0 draw in a dismal leg at Parque Oriental, a game in which there were zero shots on target from either team, I was expecting to get trounced away to the Paraguayan giants but was proved wrong as we dominated the match from start to finish. New signing Manco hit the winner on the break in the 85th minute to send us through to the 2nd Prelim round.

H: 0-0

A: 0-1

Agg: 1-0

Second Preliminary Round – Orental vs. Cerro Porteno

The second round pitted us against another Paraguayan side, Cerro Porteno who (luckily for me) knocked out Danubio in the previous round. They proved a weaker side than Olimpia and we dominated them at home, winning 2-1 when the score should have been much greater. In a tricky away leg we got off to a bad start, conceding in the 10th minute to go behind on away goals. But we held our nerve and Edgar Romero’s own goal in the 60th minute was enough to us through the the first round proper.

H: 2-1

A: 1-1

Agg: 3-2

First Round – Orental vs. Barcelona (EQU)

With things going from bad to worse in the league, we were looking to give the fans something to cheer about against Equadorean side Barcelona. In the home leg we controlled the game and took a 2 goal lead early in the second half through Peralta and Manco, but conceded a silly late penalty which was duly converted by Barcelona start player Checa. The match finished 2-1. In the away leg Barcelona dominated but spurned chance after chance, and while we didn’t have much of the ball we always looked dangerous on the counter. Aprile eventually scored a breakaway goal in the 87th minute to give us an aggregate victory which we just about deserved.

H: 2-1

A: 0-1

Agg: 3-1

Quarter Final – Oriental vs. San Lorenzo

Well I was just delighted to get so far in the competition, but knew that against Copa Libertadores holders San Lorenzo the main objective would be keeping the score down. They seemed to underestimate us though, as in the home leg we took the lead twice. Eventually they proved too strong for us though with Roberto Jimenez netting a brace late on to give them a comfortable 4-2 victory. In the away leg things I wasn’t surprised as they stormed to a 3-0 half time lead, but to our credit pegged that back to 3-2 in the second half.

H: 2-4

A: 3-2

Agg: 4-7

Roundup

San Lorenzo went on to win the competition, beating Fluminese 1-0 on aggregate in the final. It’s always a consolation to lose to the eventual winners, but I was pleased with our performace in the competition. One thing is for sure; the step up from domestic competition to continental is a huge one and I think it will be many seasons before I can compete with the big guns from Arg and Brazil for the CL, let alone with the EU clubs for the WCC..

Hope you manage to improve your league form, I know what you mean with second season syndrome, I kind of suffered from that this season too.

Well done on knocking out Olimpia in the Sudamericana though icon14.gif Who have you got in the second preliminary round?

Ooops icon_redface.gif

Didnt see your last post...

Well done on reaching the quarters!! I agree that it will take a while for you to compete with Argentinian and Brazilian clubs and lets not forget the Mexicans, who have been a dominant force in my game. Like I ve said before, I ve never seen a team from outside these 3 countries win a Libertadores, so we re in for a challenge!!

So I started mine a few weeks ago and am right now playing my fourth state championship in Brazil.

The club I chose to manage was Sul America, from Manaus, who play in the Amazonias State Championship, and they were solely chosen due to the fact that they play at the Vivaldao stadium, which has a capacity of 53000, although I don't think I broke an attendence of 1000 for quite some time. (to go of on a tangent, I share the stadium with several other teams from Manaus, and they are generally better supported, so when their "home" fixture is played, the attendance is much higher then when they are playing "away" to me, even though they're in the same stadium.)

Anyways, to make an extremely long story short,

Year 1:

Very first thing I did was ask for a parent club, and was given the choice beetween first division sides Criciuma and Figureinse, of which I chose te former. This saved my ass that season, as I was given a wage budget of only around 2200 pounds.

Amazonas state championship

finished 7th of 8 avoiding relegation on goal difference

Third Division: Was once again quite a struggle, as I finished the first stage in sixth place, just 3 points clear of seventh place, (who had me beat on goal difference) and relegation.

Year 2:

This season I had to be a little more self sufficient, as my parent club had been relegated to the second division, and I was ablato do so, with a more than doubled wage allowance.

Amazonas: fortunes took a dramatic upturn, as i finished third, albeit that I was a country mile behind first and second.

Third Division:

Finished the first stage in sixth, although this year by a margin of four points. Was actually quite a close run thing in the end as I won two of my last three that season, one of which was against the seventh placed team.

Year 3:

Amazonas: Finished in second place in the table, and as first place Rio Negro narrowly won both the apertura and the clausura, there was no final. On the bright side though, my second place finish meant that I qualified for the brazilian cup.

Third Division:

This was the season where it all really came together.

In the first stage, I went undefeated in my first twelve ending up with a record of 9 wins, four draws, and 1 loss, good enough for second place in my group, (first place Nacional only dropped 9 points, 5 of them to my club) which was good enough to qualify me for the second stage.

Stage two:

Finished second in my group on 9 points, 4 back of Ipatinga, and two up on third placed Bragantino, once again I advanced.

Stage 3: Although I was unsure of how I would be able to keep up with the increasingly lean competition, I was able to top my group with 4 wins and two draws, both against second place Cabofriense, who would together with m qualify for the final stage.

Final Stage: At this point I began to feel the presure, as although I still wasn't expected to be promoted, I did not want to have to come all this way again.

It was a very poor start, as I lost my first 3 fixtures, however I then won the next three, before getting four wins and three draws in the next seven, which set things up so that if I beat first place Ipatinga by more than two goals, and results elsewhere went my way, Sul America would be Brazilian Third Division Champions. However, it was not to be as I lost 3-2, dropping me down to four place, six points back of first place and four points ahead of Bahia, who sat in the last non-promotion spot.

So thrillingly, Sul America will be playing in the Second Division next year, alongside clubs lige Fluminense and Corinthians.

Year 4 (current)

Amazonas: Six games in I am trailing leaders Fast Clube by a single point.

Brazilian Cup

Drew 2-2 away to Pernambucanan side Botafogo in the first leg.

Phew...

So there, in a few words is my story in South America at Sul America, which is definately to be continued.........

San Antonio Unido Update - 2011 First Division Closing Stage

Closing Stage

Well it was the complete opposite from the Opening Stage where I managed to get into the Quarters, we just played awful at times. I havent really found an effective tactic for when we are favourites for a match. Until now we ve played on the counter and have been very defensive, but now that we re expected to win games we have struggled. The Closing Stage had following effect on the final league table:

League Table

We finished 7 points of the Relegation Group places, we were neve really in that much danger, 5 points was the closest we got. It was a mixed season with an amazing Opening Stage and awful Closing Stage so I dont really know what to make of it. I would like to start qualifying for the Quarters more regularly so hopefully I can be more consistent next season.

Universidad Catolica won the Opening and Closing Stage (I dont know if I mentioned it before, but the Stages are actually two separate titles!!) Colo Colo have now gone 4 Stages without a title and their manager has been sacked, good that I dont have such high expectations icon_biggrin.gif

International Update

Mexican clubs continued their strong international performances. Cruz Azul beat Gremio of Brazil in the Libertadores final, while Pumas narrowly lost to River in the Sudamericana final.

What a journey dniprofan, well done on getting promoted to the Second Division icon14.gif

It definately is really gutting coming all the way to the final stage in the Third Division and then missing out on promotion so its nice to see you managed to keep composed and go up.

Cant believe Corinthians are in the Second League even in FM icon_frown.gif

Florida Soccer first phase 2008

League Table

I did pretty good in the league.As you can see i was very close to 1st place. My players especially my two star strikers which are sarabia and rivadeneira(argentinan) were exepcional. My only worry was my defence and my gk.my team play awful especially my defence in the Group Stage. as u can see i came 3rd with only two wins and -7 in goals. The most hurtful defeat i gotten in my life which it was in group stage was 7-1!!... i hope it doesn't ever happen again and i am looking forward to closing stage. In colombia in first division there is also two titles corinthiano. Hopefully u will be able to pull the team to success again and dont worry everyone got their off season.

Keep it up dniprofan, how about some screenies though? icon_wink.gif

Good going with that league position Andaos, pity about the group stages but still, it's only your first season so a pretty good performance all the same. Best of luck in the closing stage!

Club Oriental de Futbol - 2012/2013 End of Season Update - Uruguayan 1st division

After a pretty unspectacular opening stage I wasn't expecting much from the team but, as they say, anything can happen in football. I scrapped the 5-3-2 that had brought such success over the past 2 seasons and created a new.... 5-3-2 formation icon_smile.gif I took a completely different approach this time though, adapting Gallago's 2-6-2 framework while implementing some aspects of Wwfans TT&F. I was pretty surprised with the results:

Closing Stage Table

We got off to a great start with an an away win over Sud America followed by a comfortable home victory over Liverpool (URU), and then went on to set a new club record by winning our next 6 matches. Eventually form slumped as we were held to a couple of 0-0 draws and then lost out to a ridiculous fluked goal against Wanderers, but we managed to hold on as Danubio slipped up in the final two games. In the end we needed just a point from our last game against Racing (URU) to secure the closing stage title - it turned out to be our best performance of the season and we strolled to an emphatic 6-0 victory.

Final League Table

Despite finishing 5th overall, we qualified for the champions playoff due to finishing 1st in the closing stage. Defensor Sporting won the opening stage but holders Danubio finished first overall which meant that, for the first time in 6 seasons, the championship would be decided by a 3 way round robin tournament.

Championship Playoff

Danubio vs Defensor Sporting

The opening game featured 2 of Uruguay's most prestigious clubs, both of whom had been a bit short of form lately. Danubio had the home advantage and made it pay, dominating the game and coming out as worthy 2-1 winners.

Oriental vs Danubio

Our record against Danubio going into the game was poor - we'd managed only one win and one draw in the last 8 meetings. However both of those came this season and, with Danubio seemingly out of form, I was quietly confident. The match was tight without many chances for either team, until in the 40th minute Danubio's Bruno Baretto was sent off for violent conduct. Oriental made the extra man advantage pay with goals either side of half time from Joan Munoz and Damian Paz to win the game 2-0

Defensor Sporting vs Oriental

So going into the final game we were in a strong position - Defensor Sporting would need to win by 2 clear goals or more else the title would be ours. In a tense encounter we held our nerve, coming from behind twice to grab a deserved 2-2 draw.

So the title went to Club Oriental de Futbol for the first time in their 89 year history! With it comes automatic qualification to the Copa Libertadores, although we miss out on the Copa Sudamerica to Danubio and Montevideo Wanderers.

Liguilla de Pre-Libertadores Table

After a long season the Oriental players seemed tired and demotivated and without much to play for (having already qualified for the CL) we didn't play especially well in the Liguilla. Home victories against Defensor Sporting and Nacional were enough to secure 4th place, with Penarol ending up as unlikely champions ahead of 2nd place Danubio.

Best X1

Williams Peralta was voted fans player of the year for the second successive season. The striker knocked in 27 goals of the course of the season to put his name in the Oriental record books. Damian Paz had another superb season and the ever improving Reimond Manco did fairly well in his first season at the club.

and elsewhere...

San Lorenzo won the Copa Sudamerica to add to their tally of continental trophies. Mexican club America ended a long spell of dominance for Brazilian/Argentian clubs in the Copa Libertadores, eventually losing out 8-6 on aggregate in a free scoring final against Santos.

Wow, well done McTavish icon14.gif The Cahmpionship Playoff is a crazy rule, worked well for you though icon_wink.gif

What are your expectations for the Libertadores? And how is your financial situation? Did you win any prize money for the league title?

haha yeah, funny thing is I'd have probably lost against Danubio over 2 legs. Expectations for the Libertadores are pretty low, I think I'll get a bye straight into the group stage cos of winning the championship, but to progress from there I'd need to get lucky with the group draw and I'd be very surprised if we made it as far as the quarter finals given the strength of the Brazilian/Argentinian/Mexican steams.

Being realistic, it'll be a few more seasons before we can completely dominate the domestic league and until we do that we won't be able to attract/afford players of sufficient quality to challenge for the Libertadores. So the next few seasons will be about consolidating; getting the new stadium built and then expanded, improving the training facilities and building for the future. I'm trying to plan ahead and bring in some top South American youngsters so that by the time they break into the first team they'll have gained Uruguayan nationality.

Finances are decent, I have £1.1m in the bank and the new stadium has been payed for. Even so, without the monthly instalments from Vonder Putton's sale we'd be losing money every month, and I'm concious that I need to hold back some cash for the end of the season so we can invest in new training facilities. Might have to sell Peralta this season, he's valued at £2.7m and rising icon14.gif

Archived