The Diary

bergtaur

Author’s note: This my first story attempt here. Playing on FM 09 patch 9.3. Played with a medium database: Leagues loaded USA, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, England, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Holland, Poland Portugal, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Turkey, and Ukraine all down to the second tier of the respective nations

“Hello sir, how much for the diary?”

It is the year 2030 and I am standing here freezing my behind off in Eastern Europe. My name is Andrew Graham, just another typical American student on his way across Europe coming to the godforsaken Eastern edge, the former Iron Curtain. The air is still on this December afternoon as no one save for me has ventured out into town. I’m sitting in a used book store in Kiev, capital of Ukraine. I was looking for something that dealt with life in the Cold War to help my studies back home, and I found a nice used diary. I didn’t open it to take a look as I was in a hurry, my flight left in an hour and I needed to be on it to get back stateside.

“Well sir, that diary will cost you 5 Hryvnia.”

I gave the keep his money and made my out the door into the cold. Maybe I’ll look at the diary on the flight, really depends if I want some sleep or not. I hop into the taxi as we drive away toward the airport.

The line is surprise, long and backed up. I rush my way up to the ticket counter to make sure I’m set to get on the flight before heading off to terminal 34. A few kids are playing with a soccer ball in the airport. To kill some time I play with them for a few minutes. I play on the team back at my small college in the U.S. and show some basic tricks to the kids before I have to get on my plane.

“Attention passengers, would you please put your trays up and fasten your seat belts. We are about to take off.”

Finally, on my way back stateside. The diary! That should go ahead and get me through most of the flight. I reach into my bag and pull it out and open it.

Journal dated June 6th, 2008.

Today is a great day for me. My name is Hryhorii Zahorchak and I’ve been named manager of Shakhtar Donetsk…

Looks interesting, will be following to see where this goes.

However, one piece of advice I would give you is to have longer posts.

:confused:

Good start Bergtaur, nothing wrong with that length of post, just write as much as you feel like at the time.

-Thanks for the starting steps guys, it's appreciated!

June 7th, 2008

I guess if you are reading this you want to know a little bit about me. I was a star midfielder back in my playing days kicking around some of the biggest leagues in the world while being capped over 70 times for the Ukraine. I had made a lot of money and decided that I would hang up the boots at 32, my life being set for me, until I realized that the competitive passion that burns in me wouldn’t go out. I then worked hard to obtain a managerial license and decided to apply for the job at Shakhtar, which was my father’s favorite team. A combination of flash, smarts, and my playing legacy led to me getting the job and this nice corner office.

Shakhtar is a squad that is always a powerhouse in the domestic league, but is searching for more success at the European level. I’ve inherited an attempt at winning the Champions League, a challenge which will no doubt be difficult to compete with the giants from the biggest leagues in the world, but the board has given me some cash, $60 million to be precise. My main concern is getting some young talent into the midfield where we can control possession and also have some attacking flair.

The men are out practicing on the pitch and it’s clear to me who our best player is, the Croatian defender Darijo Srna. He will feature very heavily in my plans this season, but we need another strong wing defender to complete a strong back line. I’ll send the scouts out looking at some guys starting tomorrow.

Hate to cut and run like this journal, but it’s nearing time for my introductory press conference. Got to shave and look presentable, not like I’m the face of the team now or anything…

-HZ

The plan lands in London, I need to make my transition flight in a few minutes, but I can't help believe that I've stumbled on a goldmine. An actual first person look into the life of a high profile manager in Europe. What could I glean from this? Perhaps I can find some tips to help my soccer team back home, maybe I'll learn of some of the backroom dealings that I've heard so much about, or perhaps I'll fine something more, the tale of a successful man, brought into the world of soccer by love of the game, and maybe that will get my competitive fire burning again.

"Attention passengers, flight Delta 314 for Chicago is now boarding, first class passengers please make your way to the gate."

A few more hours over the Atlantic until I'm back home. It can't come soon enough.

June 8th, 2008

God, I’m really starting to hate the local media. The introductory press conference was going fine, but then I was asked if I thought it would be hard to keep Darijo this season. I refused to answer the question saying, that it would be it wouldn’t be fair to talk about it. That was ok, until the next question was the same question. Now I was starting to get a little heated, but I again politely declined to answer. After the third time I said no comment. I could have stormed out, but I didn’t let my emotions get the best of me. It’s a long season and if I crack now, who knows what will happen after a few losses?

Well diary, I must say that this week has been one of the hardest weeks I’ve had in recent memory. Now, I’m going on a talent search with some of the scouts looking for the men I need to play on this team. I'm leaving the friendlies to the assistant, he seems capable. Meanwhile I’m off to Belgium, France, Germany, and other locations, but I can’t bring you, don’t want anyone in the media grabbing you. I’ll be back in time for the Ukrainian Super Cup though. Now it’s time to find the next wave of Miners and rack up some frequent flier miles!

-ZH

I too had been feeling some anger and resentment. I just returned from this winter in Europe, and when I got back, nothing was there for me. My girlfriend had cheated on me, class wasn't working out. Maybe I could learn something from Hryhorii, sometimes it's best to get through this hard spot in your life and just take some time away from it before going forard. We'll see how that works out... back to studying, big test tomorrow.

Archived