Getting you amc and amr/l involved

Hi all. I currently play a 4-2-3-1 formation with the 3 being amL-amC-amR. This has had its ups and downs, usually I score quite a few goals, but defensively I've been woeful.

The main reason for this is that I cant get my wingers and amc to anything at all when trying to defend. My winger wont follow the oppo's fullbacks, I've tried tight man-marking, zonal, max closing down, minimal closing down etc..., Even altering their mentalities to 1 doesn't help, and then they are woeful offensively aswell. D-line and tempo does nothing for me, last season in the championship i conceeded 80 goals with an above average team, scoring 86.

Now, watching Arsenal and Liverpool this season, they play this tactic, especially Arsenal, with Bendtner and Arshavin tracking back most of the time. Fabregas/Diaby disrupts the oppositions dcs/dmc and are a part of the first line of defense. Liverpool arguably plays more of a 4-4-1-1, but doing this on fm makes the wingers side midfielders and not wingers.

Does anyone have any good hints and tips regarding getting first an foremost my amr and aml to contribute a bit more defensively? Also offensively, they do pretty much nothing, just taking up space, and I've fiddled with every setting I can imagine. They average at around 7.0 a season with a rare goal and a few assists, seeing as wingers and fullbacks have an easy time getting recognized by the average ratings system on FM.

Ps.

Surprisingly, the amc works great with the 4-2-3-1 formation when attacking, only formation I've gotten him the be anything like Steve Gerrard.

Hi all. I currently play a 4-2-3-1 formation with the 3 being amL-amC-amR. This has had its ups and downs, usually I score quite a few goals, but defensively I've been woeful.

The main reason for this is that I cant get my wingers and amc to anything at all when trying to defend. My winger wont follow the oppo's fullbacks, I've tried tight man-marking, zonal, max closing down, minimal closing down etc..., Even altering their mentalities to 1 doesn't help, and then they are woeful offensively aswell. D-line and tempo does nothing for me, last season in the championship i conceeded 80 goals with an above average team, scoring 86.

Now, watching Arsenal and Liverpool this season, they play this tactic, especially Arsenal, with Bendtner and Arshavin tracking back most of the time. Fabregas/Diaby disrupts the oppositions dcs/dmc and are a part of the first line of defense. Liverpool arguably plays more of a 4-4-1-1, but doing this on fm makes the wingers side midfielders and not wingers.

Does anyone have any good hints and tips regarding getting first an foremost my amr and aml to contribute a bit more defensively? Also offensively, they do pretty much nothing, just taking up space, and I've fiddled with every setting I can imagine. They average at around 7.0 a season with a rare goal and a few assists, seeing as wingers and fullbacks have an easy time getting recognized by the average ratings system on FM.

Ps.

Surprisingly, the amc works great with the 4-2-3-1 formation when attacking, only formation I've gotten him the be anything like Steve Gerrard.

Have you tried using the “specific marking” function for your AML/R whereby they mark the opposition full backs? I tried this in my last game against Chelsea who had good full backs and it worked well.

Have you tried using the “specific marking” function for your AML/R whereby they mark the opposition full backs? I tried this in my last game against Chelsea who had good full backs and it worked well.

Hi again. Yes, I've tried this a couple of times, but it seems that my wingers wont react to this instructions until the fullback is closing in on my goal area, by the time this happens, my wingers are miles and miles away from the ball and player. Basically they are being lazy sods;), despite the stats telling me that they have exellent work rate and teamwork

Hi again. Yes, I've tried this a couple of times, but it seems that my wingers wont react to this instructions until the fullback is closing in on my goal area, by the time this happens, my wingers are miles and miles away from the ball and player. Basically they are being lazy sods;), despite the stats telling me that they have exellent work rate and teamwork

What are their marking attributes like?

You should be able to get the two wingers you have do this. Seems strange to me. What's the rest of your set up?

dl - dc -dc -dr

mc -mc

aml -amc- amr

st

mixed width, tempo, d-line, mentality, shortish passing, mixed creative freedom, focus passing mixed. lots and lots of in the middle of the road :)

edit- creative freedom 20 for amr/l/c

Maybe that's what your problem is? By giving them a creative freedom of 20 they are ignoring your instructions completely!

I'd have to say Footynut has a point there. I would take his advice an take away the Free Roles from the wingers and if I had/want to use the free role I would give it too the AMC (who can preferably play as a forward as well -re: versatile player)...

I'd have to say Footynut has a point there. I would take his advice an take away the Free Roles from the wingers and if I had/want to use the free role I would give it too the AMC (who can preferably play as a forward as well -re: versatile player)...

Heyo.

No free role on the wingers, but free role on the amc works great. if i lower the creative freedom of my wingers, they refuse to cut inside :(

Heyo.

No free role on the wingers, but free role on the amc works great. if i lower the creative freedom of my wingers, they refuse to cut inside :(

Sorry for the double post, but it seems lowering the creative freedom of my wingers did the trick defensively, they now keep within intercepting distance of the opp's fullbacks. Now to get them involved offensively.... :cool:

I had the same problem then had my wingers man mark their wingers. Didn't worry about the opposing FBs because if the sent in a cross from deep, my CBs cleaned it up, and if they went for the byline my FBs were there to close them down. I zone mark with my FBs. This means that their wingers often had two men coming in to tackle and when their FB came in, my FB would close them down. It pretty much shut down anything the computer sent down the wings. It worked well for my team. Won everything in England and Europe.

Drop them down to ML and MR and they will still act as wingers if you give them forward runs often and will contribute more defensively. 4-4-1-1 always worked better for me than 4-2-3-1.

So,

GK

DR DC DC DL

MR MC MC ML

AMC

ST

Archived