Why is my team so bad at defense?

My team is two goals away from the top of the league in offense, but when it comes to defense I'm fifth worst. it's my first season and i have Chiellini and Mexes as my DC's. sometimes Chiellini is my DL and Mexes and Demichelis are the DC's. But despite their great attributes Mexes and Chiellini have average ratings around 7. Chiellini is like a 7.10 and Mexes is a 7. I used one of the tactics from the tactics and theorems guide. I play a 442 mildly attacking with a MCd and MCa, as well as fCd and fcA. What's wrong? I thought I'd brought three of the best DC's in the game to my team. I also have Criscito because I cancelled his loan on data editor so could get him 1st season and play him dL sometimes or dr (i trained him there).

Also have Srna and Guardado at DR and DL sometimes.

Edit here are the screenshots of defensive instructions (same as in below post).

th_Picture27.png

th_Picture28.png

th_Picture29.png

th_Picture30.png

Sometimes I use tight marking with fullbacks too.

Okay here are screenshots of player instructions. I have my fullbacks doing tight marking sometimes too. I don't tend to do specific marking for my DCs because im worried they wont leave their man to cover attacking MC's or other players, but I have them playing man anyway. should they all be playing zone?

anyway Here.

th_Picture27.png

th_Picture28.png

th_Picture29.png

th_Picture30.png

Ok, something I don't get here. Why would you want your DCs run forward at least sometimes and FBs often? No wonder they are caught out of position. Especially since one of your DCs closing down is way to high. Through ball for DCs is also not the best idea with such settings. And I would not go with tight man marking for DCs, especially since (IIRC) they are not fastest in the game. It's asking for trouble.

Sorry for not replying quickly, forgot this thread was in the T@T forum :D

Anyway here is where your going wrong:

LB: He is closing down to much which will leave him out of postion and he is very attacking which means he will be caught out in defense a lot.

RB: The DR is ok the only problem is that he has to much foward runs (he's to attacking).

CB: His mentality is to big meaning he attacks to much, he has too much creative freedom and closes down too much meaning he becomes out of position.

CB: You have exactly the same problem with the other one as well.

I advise you read tactical theoroms and frameworks or use the "set to" instructions which are on the top left of the player instructions bit :thup:

Yeah I used to have my CBs only closing down like 7 clicks or whatever like it said in tactical theorums guide but what was happening was that the otehr teams defense would clear a ball in the air to midfield, and instead of my DCs running up and heading the ball back to my forwards, they would just stand there a few feet from the oppositions forwards and let them get teh ball. I want them to push up and keep the attack alive by going after every ball thats in their range.

But anyway I based everything on this tactic off tactical theorums guide, except I just increased the closing down of the DC's a lot, and I put forward runs often to the DL/DR, and sometimes to the DCs. But i'll try what you guys said. Thank you!

Adjust these settings and you will start to see a major improvement defensively.

DC: Reduce Closing down to around 5 clicks from the left. Remove foward runs. Untick 'Man Mark' and just play Zonal.

FB: Reduce Closing down so it is around 2/3 clicks more than what the DC's new setting is. When playing Away or needing to play more cautiously at home reduce their 'Forward Runs' to Mix.

Due to you have high closing down for your defenders this is causing them to go out of position once the opposition enters your half and with them having Man Mark ticked this leaves a big gap in the heart of your defence as the oppositions strikers will pull you about to create space for the advancing midfield.

Please let me know how it goes.

Could you please tell me if you are using a DMC and if not please can I have the screen shot of your defensive midfielder as this is quite an important player for breaking up the oppositions attack.

Archived