which side to put the MC? Does it matter?

Does it have any bearing as to what side of the centre you put a midfield player?

For instance, Veloso is left footed. Jenas is right footed. However, I am using Reo 4-2-3-1 tactic (tweaked) and the defensive midfield position (where Veloso plays) is set up on the right of centre. Does this have any bearing on Veloso's passing or play as he is left footed? If my ramblings are making no sense whatsoever, I have posted a pic...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5313/midfieldsettings.jpg

I don't know if it makes any difference, but you could just switch these 2 positions, so the MCd is on the left side and the MCa on the right side.

You could also test it by playing him on the right side, then play the match over again and check if it makes any difference (passes, passes completed).

I have played Veloso with Arsenal in a playmaker role (Fabregas was injured) on the right centre of the midfield and he performed well, so in my opinion it doesn't make a huge difference.

You don't have to change all the instructions, you can just swap the positions by using a vacant spot on the tactic board. eg move the MCr down to the open DM spot, move the MCl over to MCr, move the DM back up to MCl.. you now have the defensive one on the left and attacking on the right

I don't think it makes that much difference which side they're on though, the only thing you have to consider with that formation is which side of the striker the AMC drifts to, and having the attacking MC on the other side so they don't play in the same area of the pitch

I tend to put Veloso at the left of the centre and Palombo in the DM position slightly to the right, but its by no means set in stone. If the opposition are playing their most dangerous midfielder my left I'll switch their sides. I tend to feel that your MCs (and DCs) will drift outside a bit sometimes, and are more likely to be effective outside if its on a side that they are comfortable with.

I don't know if there's any truth to it mind, it might just be me seeing what I want to see.

Also, listen to Kasavan, I do that all the time. Why oh why oh why isn't there an option to save a player's individual settings, so as soon as you bring on say Walcott for Eboue you don't need faff around with the sliders, you can just instantly switch your MR's settings to "Walcott".

You don't have to change all the instructions, you can just swap the positions by using a vacant spot on the tactic board. eg move the MCr down to the open DM spot, move the MCl over to MCr, move the DM back up to MCl.. you now have the defensive one on the left and attacking on the right

I don't think it makes that much difference which side they're on though, the only thing you have to consider with that formation is which side of the striker the AMC drifts to, and having the attacking MC on the other side so they don't play in the same area of the pitch

Cheers for that

Don't know whether it helps or not, but my long-shot, right-footed midfielder gets more goals by playing on the left of centre.

Probably something to do with him cutting inside a little - if he's hitting long shots he's going to want it on his right hand side, which will involve him moving inside and getting more central to goal, which can only be beneficial for his shots, as it increases the area the keeper has to cover.

As with most things with FM09, I think the answer is "it depends", in this case on what you want from the player.

Archived