Jimbokav1971

December 2014 recap.

League Away. Grays 0 Margate 1.

League Home. Grays 2 Lewes 1. Goals, Peter Jones, Gary Peters.

League Home. Grays 4 Welling 0. Goals, Peter Jones (2), Mark Hughes Snr, Chris Charles.

FA Trophy 1st Round Home. Grays 0 Team Bath 0.

FA Trophy 1st Round replay Away. Team Bath 2 Grays 1. Goal, Gary Peters.

League Home. Grays 2 Chesham 0. Goals, Mark Hughes Snr, Peter Jones.

League Away. AFC Wimbledon 1 Grays 2. Goals, Ben Saunders (2).

League Home. Grays 1 Hitchin 0. Goal, Gary Battersby.

The Grays board are again delighted with my performance icon14.gif.

The club made a profit of £7.16K last month icon14.gif.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are now sitting 3rd in the league. We trail Havant & Waterlooville by 4 points but have 2 games in hand and Eastleigh by 1 point and have 1 game in hand.

Pos....Team...............................Played.Won....Drawn.Lost...For...Against.Diff.... Points..

1st.....Havant..............................25........13.........8........4......35......20.......15.........47...

2nd....Eastleigh..........................24.........11.......11........2......26......10.......16.........44...

3rd....Grays Athletic....................23........13........4.........6......34......21........13........43...

Barnet recap.

After a good November, Barnet have again started to struggle. They have won only 1 of 5 league games in the last month and now find themselves 22nd in a league of 24. They are currently in contract talks with a winger who is currently playing in the Conference National having agreed a figure of £250,000 with his club. They currently hve 21 players at the club who can play in wide midfield positions icon_eek.gif. I would have thought that the way forward was to utilise some of these before bringing in any more. First choice keeper Paul Jones has missed the last 2 games through injury and may be out for a further 2 weeks. Also injured is key midfielder Jordan Fitzpatrick, who will be out for a further 2 weeks. Top goal-scorer Ramon Calliste has been doing his bit. He has contributed 13 goals and even bagged his first 2 senior goals for the Welsh National team. Ramon is suspended for the next game which is the FA Cup 3rd Round tie against Sheffield Utd. Also unavailable is Bobby Walsh (on loan from Luton) who has contributed 11 goals, but is not allowed to play in cup games under the term of his loan agreement. The Bees haven't got a hope in hell without their 2 primary strikers. Their cup run could be over icon13.gif.

Next up is Merthyt Tydfil, another team struggling near the bottom of the table. I rotate my squad slightly, but keep key players such as Eyre, Jackson, Miller, Hughes Snr, and Jones in the starting line up. It's a bore draw I'm afraid and despite really bossing the game, we can't find a way past the home keeper.

Now Alfreton have offered me the job as manager. They are offering me a 1 year contract on less money than I am on now. They're 2nd bottom of Conference North are in the middle of an injury crisis and on the verge of going into receivership. No way am I joining them.

Adam Hall has signed a new contract with us. The 23 year old right sided winger has played in 22 games this season, scoring 1 goal and creating 5 others. I've persuaded him to sign a 5 year deal on £20 per week less than he was on before.

Nicky Eyre our 29 year old keeper who has been an ever present in the team this season has signed a new long term contract. He has agreed to take a basic wage cut of £125 per week on the basis that the same amount is incorporated into a clean sheet bonus. I was more than happy to oblige.

The contract of 31 year old Centre back Joe Bruce is due to expire in 6 months time. Although he is only paid £35 pw, I feel that we need to concentrate our resources on players for the future. Joe has played 221 league games for Grays but will not be offered an extension to his current contract.

Big Tony Jackson is keen to sign a new contract. I think I will wait till later in the season to decide on this one. Although the 21 year old defender is a big lad at 6'4", I also think he's a bit soft.

Lee Lock, 17 year old right winger has been released by the club. He wasn't figuring in my plans and I saw no reason to keep him on the books. Lee played 6 times last season but hasn't impressed me at all.

January 2015.

With some players being released and others being offered new contracts, I also manage to bring another player in on loan. Again he's a Barnet player and again I have agreed to pay no wages at all during his stay. Paul Bennett is a 22 year old Welshman who notched up 14 U21 caps and 3 U21 goals while at the Bees. He can play up front but his preferred position is wide on the right. He is a product of the man Utd youth system but moved at an early age to Underhill where he is in his 6th season. He has played in 2 league games this season already, and 19 in total in his career, creating 1 assist. In addition he has featured in 5 cup games. He will join us to the end of the season and will immediately become first choice right winger and goes into the starting lineup against Hampton & Richmond.

We fail in our bid to collect all 3 points at Hampton & Richmond, and in the end are lucky to come away with anything at all. Gary Leach puts us ahead after 25 minutes after a glorious ball by young Gary Peters. We self destruct after the break though, as Dave Adams slams the ball into the net from close range. The only problem was that it was our net icon_eek.gif. In an effort to to give away all 3 points, Chris Charles is sent off for a professional foul in the area with 5 minutes remaining and a penalty is awarded. Nicky Eyre was up to the task and saved another penalty to leave us with a share of the spoils.

Paul Bennett had a pretty impressive debut on the right. 4 key rackles, 5 from 5 tackles, 11 from 13 headers, 4 mazy runs and even a shot on target. The boy done good.

With the success of my raid on Barnet's Reserve squad fresh in my mind, and Bennett's excellent debut, I decide to go sniffing back to Underhill and see what other gems I can unearth. Francis Mead is another Welshman. He brings the Welsh contingent at The Rec to 4 and adds a wealth of experience at U21 level, having collected an impressive 31 U21 caps and 6 U21 goals before his 22nd birthday last year. He's a real utility player and can play anywhere accross the back, and anywhere in midfield bar the left. At Barnet I saw him mainly as a defensive midfielder, but here he immediately becomes a first choice centre back. Francis has featured 30 times in the league for the Bees, as well as 5 cup games after joining in 2011 in a £12,000 deal from Bradford City. He signed for Bradford on a free after coming through the ranks at Cardiff.

I have an excellent relationship with all 4 of the Barnet loan players and have no doubt that this played a part in their decision to join us on loan.

Recent loan signing Paul Bennett opens his account for us in only his 2nd game to give us the lead against struggling Sutton Utd. We really start strongly and but for the excellence of their keeper, could be 2 or 3 up within half an hour. It finishes 1-0 though and we have another 3 points to add to our tally.

We are back on our travels and on our way to Gravesend who find themselves in 16th position in the league. Peter Jones grabs a brace in the first half hour before they Morgan gives them a channce to reduce the defecit from the spot. A rare Eyre mistake allows them to make it all square at 2-2 with 20 minutes to play and that's how it stays.

My frustration at dropping 2 points isn't helped by the news that both striker Gary Peters and full back Gary White finished the game injured.

Against Tiverton, again on our travels, a Peter Jones double either side of half time looked like securing us the points, but the withdrawal of Keeper Nicky Eyre through injury, meant that Adam Hall took the gloves and a position between the sticks for much of the 2nd half, rather than his usual berth on the right wing. The home side pulled one back and injuries to both Paul Bennett and Peter Jones meant that the game was given a tense finale. We hung on to secure the win, and much credit must go to stand in keeper Adam Hall. Although normally a winger, Adam is one of the best outfield players that I have seen play in goal. I am glad that I had him on the bench.

The afternmath of the Tiverton game sees us go back to the top of the table for the first time since September, but also sees influential keeper Nicky Eyre sidelined for about a month with a twisted ankle. The only other keeper that I have on the books is 16 year old Jonathan Briggs who has yet to make his senior debut. He's conceded a whopping 35 goals in 24 Reserve games this season, and if I'm honest, is never going to make it as a pro. He's all I've got at the moment though so unless I can bring someone in on the hurry up, he will start against Billericay next week. I have 4 long term loan signings at the club. I'm not sure if this means I can also bring in 4 short termers or if it's 4 in total. I'll have to look into it because needs must.

The league rules state that it is only 4 long term loans in any season, only 8 short term loans in a season and only 4 short term loans at any time. I think I can bring in another loanee icon14.gif.

Richard Wright is out of favour at League 2 Fulham and is stagnating in the Reserves. He is listed for sale but not loan. Although he is 37, he is just what the doctor ordered. I've made contact and am awaiting a response from both club and player.

Listed for loan are 22 year old Oldham stopper Gary Kelly and 23 year old David Tomlinson based at lower league Redditch.. Neither has quite the ability I was looking for, but to be honest I think I have to remember that we are playing in the Conference South. Who was I expecting, Pat Jennings icon_rolleyes.gif? Both have been approached. I've also sent a scout to see if I can have a look at them training while awaiting their decision. I don't know a lot about them and it would be good to know who to pick if they both agree to come.

Barnet utility defender Ryan Robson who has been dubbed the new Jamie Carragher is being looked at by a number of big clubs. Barnet have received bids in excess of £1,1000.000 from 5 clubs. Surely, with the player already valued at £800,000 and still on a long term contract they will either hold out for a really big offer or just dismiss these offers out of hand. The player is not keen to leave so what is the hurry. Borrows has really lost the plot if he lets this little gem go. It seems as if he is having a bit of a clear-out anyway. Adam Eckersley has been allowed to join fellow league 1 side Oldham for a paltry £55,000. Eckersley has made 272 league appearances for the Bees during a 9 year stay at the club after I enticed him away from Old Trafford. Dion Dickhoff, the 29 year old Dutch utility player, that I signed in 2013 from Championship side Blackburn, could be on his way too. Dutch club ADO Den Haag have made an offer of £800,000 and are being allowed to discuss a contract with the player. Struggling Championship side Watford have also tabled a bid, £600,000. I have to admit that I would sell Dion. Although he has been playing regularly, Borrows has other options and at 29, he is not going to get any more money for him. Another bit of Barnet news that I agree with is striker Steven Gillespie being offered a years extensionn to his current contract which expires at the end of this season. With Bobby Walsh now having returned to Luton, Gillespie will be playing a key role.

The clubs of all 3 keepers that I am interested in have accepted my loan offer. Obviously I would prefer Wright if I had the choice. Interestingly, Kelly is also the subject of a loan offer from lower league Ossett Town. They've got a bloomin cheek. They've already got a decent keeper icon_mad.gif.

Richard Wright has turned us down flat. I'n not too surprised. Dave Tomlinson has agreed to join us for 3 months from Redditch and will go straight into the starting line-up against Billericay. Kelly has also decided that he will join us and although I tempted to cancel the deal as Tomlinson is already here, the addeed protection that a 2nd keeper gives us is worth the effort.

I'm glad that I do sign Kelly as he seems to definately have the edge over Tomlinson. In addition, he's more experienced having played 4 times in League 1 this season already, (keeping 3 clean sheets in the process). With the introduction of Kelly to the starting line-up, we now have 5 loan players in the match squad to face Billericay. While it's against my principles of improving young talent, needs must at the moment. We are unbeaten in 10 matches in the league and I am keen to extend that record. The match also marks a record for Mark Hughes Snr who is set to make his 200th career league appearance.

Gary Ashton plays on the left for Billericay and caused us no end of problems in our previous game. I will be keeping a close eye on him as the game progresses. We start with a real fire in our bellies and create 5 chances in the opening 5 minutes. Only one shot beats the visiting keeper and the referee rules that out for off-side. We don't have long to wait though and Chris Matthews converts from the spot for his 4th of the season with only 10 minutes gone. We double our lead on the half hour when Hughesy Snr cracks one in from the edge of the area. We look in control but Billericay catch us cold with an excellent counter-attack and Gary Kelly fails to save their only shot of the match icon_frown.gif. We score again just before half time, with Matthews this time turning provider for Jones to slam home his 15th goal of the season. Jones grabs his 2nd to make it 4-1 as we rampage forward in the 2nd half. Only the excellence of their keeper stops us from posting a cricket score as our strikers really hit form.

Our recent run of form has meant that my players are attracting the interest of bigger clubs. I am also the topic of much speculation and I am approached by a journalist who tells me that League 2 Wycombe Wanderers have dispensed with the services of their current manager and are actively seeking a replacement. It is suggested that I am odds-on favourite to take the job and he would like my comment on the situation. I tell him that I am just at the beginning of a hopefully very long and fruitful journey with Grays, and that I would not be interested in the Wycombe job.

The Grays board are delighted that I have reaffirmed my commitment to the club by refuting my interest in the vacancy at Wycombe icon14.gif.

********NEWSFLASH******** 26th January 2015.

BOLTON SIGN ROBSON

Bolton have signed Barnet's Ryan Robson for a fee of £1,400,000.

Robson started his career at Underhill, making 57 appearances over 4 years before moving to The Trotters.

I am disgusted that Borrows has sold Robson. He has been capped at U19 level and for the past 18 months has been labelled as the next Jamie Carragher. He did not ask to leave and was quite happy plying his trade with The Bee's. They have sold the soul of the club for a paltry £1,400,000. Ryan is already valued at £1.5M. I wouldn't mind if they had included a percentage of his re-sale value, but you can bet they didn't. Gutted does not do justice to the way I feel.

********NEWSFLASH******** 26th January 2015.

FANS ANGER AT ROBSON TRANSFER.

Barnet fans have today expressed their anger at the club's sale of Ryan Robson.

The vast majority of Bees fans feel that the rising star was worth far more than the £1,400,000 Bolton paid, and believe Brian Borrows should have demanded more for the player.

Burn him at the stake. angryfire.gif.

On our travels to Tamworth, we fall behind and then equalise within 10 minutes through Peter Jones. Francis Mead gets his first for the club since arriving on loan. He makes an excellent late run into the area to power home a header from a Hughesy Jr corner and send us in at the break 2-1 up. Tameorth hit back though and make it 2-2 just after the hour mark. Scottish centre back Jamie Smith receives a straight red with 15 minutes left on the clock and we hang on for a draw.

We batter Dorchester into submission for the first hour, and lead comfortably by goals from Peter Jones and Kevin Nolan. We then proceed to go to sleep and concede a penalty on 65 minutes. After that it's 1 way traffic as Dorchester tear us appart. I try to change things around but nothing works. In the end we are saved by a good performance by loanee keeper Gary Kelly and an excellent display by skipper for the day Adam Miller.

We are now unbeaten in our last 13 league games, and unbeaten in the last 11 of any kind. We sit top of the Conference South and have a game in hand icon_biggrin.gif.

January 2015 recap.

League Home. Grays 0 Merthyr Tydfil 0.

League Away. Grays 1 Hampton & Richmond 1. Goal, Gary Leach. Red card, Chris Charles.

League Home. Grays 1 Sutton Utd 0. Goal, Paul Bennett.

League Away. Grays 2 Gravesend 2. Goals, Peter Jones (2).

League Away. Grays 2 Tiverton 1. Goals, Peter Jones (2).

League Home. Grays 4 Billericay 1. Goals, Chris Matthews (pen), Mark Hughes Snr, Peter Jones (2).

League Away. Grays 2 Tamworth 2. Goals, Peter Jones, Francis Mead.

League Home. Grays 2 Dorchester 1. Goals, Peter Jones, Kevin Nolan.

The Grays board are delighted with my operformance and rightly so icon14.gif.

The club made a profit of £12.88K last month icon14.gif.

We are currently 1st in Conference South, (and have a game in hand on our nearest challengers).

Peter Jones deserves special praise. He has scored in the last 5 consecutive games and has actually scored a total of 8 in those same 5 games.

Barnet recap.

The arse has really fallen out of Barnet's season. They currently sit rock bottom of League 1 and are 5 points below safety. Eckersley, Robson and Graham were all sold in the last month bringing in a total of £2,056,000. Borrows has spent this money on Scott Phelan, a 26 year old right winger, £1.7M from Premiership Southampton, and defensive midfielder Aaron Allanson (26), a £550,000 purchase from League 1 Derby. Both were capped at U21 level in their youth. They are decent players but he has paid over the odds for both of them. He has also managed to re-sign 22 year old striker Bobby Walsh from Premiership side Luton. Bobby may yet be his saviour. He has scored 12 goals for the Bees and they have missed him while he was back at Luton.

Brian Borrows is taking my favourite club down. He is also saddling them with aging players on high wages. What are the board waiting for? Get rid of him now and get someone in who knows what they are doing icon_mad.gif.

I am annoyed with goings on at Underhill but there is nothing I can do. I intend to take my frustrations out on Hendon. Peter Jones scores for the 6th game in succession and then Ben Saunders scores with a direct free-kick to make it 2-0 before they pull one back. Jones isn't finished though and grabs his 20th of the season with 10 minutes remaining icon14.gif.

Our unbeaten run extends further despite falling behind early on. Chris Matthews claws us level with his 5th spot kick of the campaign and then I think we've managed to steal all 3 points when Gary Battersby fires home in the dying moments. There is still enough time for Gloucester to steam right up the other end and grab the equaliser that their performance deserves.

********NEWSFLASH******** 14th February 2015.

BRAVE GRAYS FINALLY LOSE

Grays Athletic lost to Salisbury City 1-0 to suffer their first leahue defeat in 16 games.

The Blues' title bid has been dealt a massive blow as their unbeaten run comes to an end at the worst possible time.

With time running out for them to catch the leaders, they will need to avoid any other defeats and hope results elsewhere go there way.

It never rains but it pours. Not only did our unbeaten run come to an end as we lost to a single goal in a really tight game, but we also lost talismanic striker Peter Jones through a serious injury with 10 minutes to go icon_frown.gif.

We now find ourselves 2 points behind league leaders Weymouth and no longer have a game in hand. There are still 12 league games to be played so it is far from over. What concerns me more than losing top spot in the league, is the loss of striker Jones. He's scored 18 of our 53 league goals, and our 2nd top scorer is Ben Saunders who has managed a paltry 6 goals in 21 league appearances. The only other player to reach 5 goals is left back Chris Matthews, (all from the spot). The good news is that Dennis Oli has recovered from his injury and has played a small apart in the last 3 reserve matches, (without scoring). His training will immediately be stepped up and I will be asking him to fill the void left by Jonesy.

Jonesy's injury is as serious as we thought. His arm is broken icon_eek.gif and he needs specialist medical care. I have released him from his loan contract and sent him back to Underhill where they have the facilities to oversee his recovery. He will be out for at least a month and I will have a look again at that time to see if he is willing of returning to us on a shorter loan deal. He has not lost heart and is determined to overcome his injury. He also thinks that he can learn a lot from Welsh International striker Ramon Calliste while at Underhill, so all is not doom and gloom.

Keeper Gary Kelly is yet to keep a clean sheet and has conceded 8 goals in 6 games. While I am not blaming him directly for the end of our unbeaten run, I do think that a change might be in order, so David Tomlinson comes into the team for the home game against top of the table Weymouth. Nicky Eyre is still injured and nay be out for a further 2 weeks. Dennis Oli partners Peter Graham up front and Gary Peters waits to make an impact from the bench. Chris Matthews shows a maturity beyond his 16 years as he converts his 6th spot kick of the season but we are yet again unable to keep a clean sheet and the game ends in a 1-1 draw.

Swansea City are 10th in League 2 and the long term future of the club is looking rosy. Lee Barnard and Moses Ashikodi have formed an impressive partbnership up front which has produced 38 goals so far this season. In Paul Carroll they have a highly rated young keeper, and in 22 year old defender Petr Brabec, surely a Czech International of the near future. Their financial situation is secure and they are backed with a 20500 all seater stadium. There are rumours linking me with a move to The Swans, but I have declined to comment at the moment. If I am approached directly, it is definately a move I would consider, but I would prefer to do my talking on the pitch and training ground. I have no desire to fuel the tabloids constant thirst for headlines.

Away to Havant & Waterlooville, we collect all 3 points and our fist clean sheet in 11 games, despite finishiing the game with only 9 men icon_eek.gif. Unfortunately. we also collect 8 yellow cards, 1 red card, and an injury to loan striker Peter Graham. Graham had a terrific game, scoring his first goal for the club and also being brought down in the area for a penalty which Chris Matthews again tucked away. I made all 3 substitutions with half an hour still to play as our 1 goal advantage was under threat, and I wanted to injust some fresh faces and take off some players already carded. It seemed to work as we scored a 2nd shortly after but then had Graham hobbling off with a dead leg. It was sub Paul O'Toole who received his marching orders. The young Irishman never really adapted to the pace of the game after coming off the bench, and was sent off when he received a 2nd yellow for his 4th foul. The ref issued 17 cards in what was never a dirty game, but who cares. Tomlinson received the MOM award for keeping a clean sheet in only his 2nd game since joining on loan from Redditch.

********NEWSFLASH******** 28th February 2015.

Kavanagh signs 3rd Kavanagh to bring family at club to 4.

Grays manager Jim Kavanagh, today unveiled his latest signing. 19 year old striker John Kavangh has signed on a free transfer from league 2 Burnley where he made his league debut earlier this year. Kavanagh, a prolific scorer at youth level, and an Irish U21 International, preferred to sign for him namesake rather than risk obscurity with lower league Witton Albion.

He joins 2 other Kavanagh's at The Rec.

Damien Kavanagh is an ambitious 18 year old defensive midfielder who has yet to make an appearance in the senior team after joining from Premiership giant Liverpool in the Summer.

Derek Kavanagh is very ambitious and also 18 years old. The young winger has appeared from the bench on 5 occasions since his transfer from Premiership Tottenham in the close season.

It is also rumoured, that 36 year old fitness coach Stephen Kavanagh, currently working under Brian Borrows at Barnet is considering a move from Underhill to The Rec.

A 2nd Stephen Kavanagh is on the books at Barnet. The 20 year old Irish U21 keeper was linked with a loan move to Grays, but turned down the offer.

Colin Kavanagh, the 45 year old Ireland U21 manager has not been linked with either Barnet or Grays, but commented that he was keeping an eye on some of the talented Kavanagh youngsters.

48 year old Moor Green Physio, Jimmy Kavanagh said he would love to join the Kavanagh revolution currently taking place in Grays, however Grays manager Jim Kavanagh seemed less keen.

Young hopefulls Tony Kavanagh and John Kavanagh spent time at The Rec on trial earlier this year, but were not offered a contract and are both currently looking for new clubs.

With both Liverpool and Leicester also currently having young Kavanagh's in their youth setup, it would appear that the Kavanagh footballing dynasty is in safe hands icon14.gif.

February 2014 recap.

League Away. Grays 3 Hendon 1. Goals, Peter Jones (2), Ben Saunders.

League Home. Grays 2 Gloucester 2. Goals, Chris Matthews (pen), Gary Battersby.

League Away. Grays 0 Salisbury 1.

League Home. Grays 1 Weymouth 1. Goal, Chris Matthews (pen).

League Away. Grays 2 Havant & Waterlooville 0. Goals, Chris Matthews (pen), Peter Graham. Red card, Paul O'Toole.

The Grays board are delighted with my performance icon14.gif.

The club recorded a loss of £1,054 last month icon13.gif.

Barnet recap.

Despite me missgivings about a certain Brian Borrows, Barnet pulled a series of tremendous results out of the bag in February. 4 wins from 5 games is an amazing turnaround and sees them move up to 21st place and only 1 point adrift of the last team in safety. Striker Ramon Calliste banged in 5 goals in 5 games and the returning Bobby Walsh chipped in with 3. Recent signing Aaron Allanson played impressively in the middle of the pitch, as did Jordan Fitzpatrick. Craig Gill has taken over in goal from the injured Paul Jones and seems to be doing well. With their next 3 games being against fellow strugglers, a continued run of good form could see them climb clear of the relegation battle.

9th placed Folkestone are our next visitors. While I am hopeful that Peter Graham will recover from his dead leg in time to start, I will have to do without Hughesy Snr and Paul O'Toole who are both suspended. Peter Graham does in fact recover and even scores for the 2nd game running to level the game just before half time. Folkestone have a player sent off with about 20 minutes to go and young Gary Peters grabs all 3 points with his 3rd goal of the season late on.

---------------------------------------------

Away to Kettering, we again go behind to an early goal. Like last week we fight back. This time it is just after half time and Dennis Oli who gets his 5th goal of an injury plagued campaign.

Our mini revival is derailed and our unbeaten run of 4 games comes to an end. Welling win an even game by 2 goals and my squad is looking jaded. Some of my young players have simply played too many games. They desperately nees a rest.

---------------------------------------------

I give the first choice players one last chance to rouse themselves but it is no good. While we didn't concede, we didn't score either and an Oli header that crashed back off the crossbar is the closest we came to breaking the deadlock against Chelmsford.

March 2015 recap.

League Home. Grays 2 Folkestone 1. Goals, Peter Graham, Gary Peters.

League Away. Grays 1 Kettering 1. Goal, Dennis Oli.

League Away. Grays 0 Welling 2.

League Home. Grays 0 Chelmsford 0.

The Grays board are still delighted with my performance as manager icon14.gif.

The club recorded a loss of £6,076 last month icon13.gif.

We've dropped to 3rd in the league and things are getting really tight at the tip. Chelmsford lead us by 2 points, Weymouth by 1 and Havant & Waterlooville are level on points and goal difference but behind on goals scored. Eastleigh are also chasing hard only 1 point behind.

Pos......Team...................Played.Won......Drawn...Lost....For.....Against. Diff.....Points.

1st.......Chelmsford.............40.......19..........16........5.......55........35........20........73

2nd......Weymouth..............40.......20..........13........7.......55........36........19........72

3rd.......Grays Athletic.........40.......20..........12........8.......59........38........21........72

4th.......Havant & Waterloo...40.......21...........9........10......54........33........21........72

5th.......Eastleigh................40.......18...........17.......5.......40.........24........16........71

With 6 games remaining it is all to play for. Five teams all in with a chance of the league and the automatic single automatic promotion place. The rest, destined to fight their way through the playoffs.

Barnet recap.

Brian Borrows is continuing to work his magic. The Bees are undefeated in March and have climbed up to the relative safety of 18th position. Three draws and a solitary win is not the form of champions, but it not the form of a team to be relegated either. Loanee Bobby Walsh impressed with a hat-trick in the sole win and Ramon Calliste chipped in with a brace during March, despite missing a game on International duty with Wales. Jonathan D'Laryea impressed in the middle of the pitch this month and has now played 41 games this season. With 6 games left, The Bees are 3 points and 3 positions clear of the relegation zone. They only have to play one of their remaining games against any of the top performing sides so they should be confidant. The only problem with games such as the penultimate against 22nd placed Scunny is that a loss not only doesn't add to their total, but gives their oppositin 3 valuble points. That this game is also away could be key.

I've deceided to change the starting line-up completely in order to shake some life back into my very tired squad. Nicky Eyre is fit enough to play in goal after recovering from injury, 18 year old Damien Kavanagh will make his debut in the middle of the pitch and 19 year old John Kavanagh will make his debut up front alongside Welshaman David Thomas. The rest of the team is picked from fringe squad players with the exception of Gary Battersby who retains his place in the middle. A 1-0 victory is good enough for me as John Kavanagh sets up David Thomas for the only goal of the game.

2nd placed Weymouth beat top of the table Chelmsford and we beat 5th placed Eastleigh. With 4th placed Havant & Waterlooville also losing it's a good weekend all round. We're now up to 2nd, still 1 point behind Weymouth, but now have a gap of 2 points to 3rd placed Chelmsford. Winger Paul Bennett and striker David Thomas both picked up knocks and are not in contention for the next game, away to 6th placed Gloucester icon13.gif.

]********NEWSFLASH******** 6th April 2015[/b]

SHAWCROSS' FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL PLEA

Fulham's Ryan Shawcross has told a journalist that he wants to be playing first-team football.

The 27 year old central defender is demanding to be selected for the first-team on a regular basis if his manager, David Cross wants to keep him at Craven Cottage.

Shawcross has never been the most intelligent of footballers. He left Barnet at the end of the 2012/13 season, to join Fulham on a free, only to see them finish below the Bees and be relegated the following season. He now finds himself playing in a division below his old team-mates. Fulham are currently on target for a return to League 1 and that should soothe his temper somewhat. In terms of not being a regular first-teamer, Ryan has played 45 times foe the Fulham first team this season, but has only added 1 cap to his Welsh tally. Maybe that is the main reason for his current state of mind.

Maybe he should have stayed at Underhill icon_rolleyes.gif. .

Nicky Eyre makes his 400th league appearance for Grays in this vital match against Gloucester, but any hopes of a big celebration are put on hold when we concede an early goal. Young Paul Moore making his first start scores his 2nd senior goal for the club to even things up. We concede again just before half time and have it all to do. We don't manage to get an equaliser and to be honest, are only in with a shout due to the excellence of Nicky Eyre. We're down to 3rd again and are now trailling Weymouth by 4 points. I've had a look at their remaining fixtures and I think we've just about blown it. Two of their 4 remaing games are against the bottom 2 teams in the league and the other 2 are against mid-table teams with nothing to play for. Play-offs here we come I think.

--------------------------------------------

After losing away at Gloucester, we follow it up with a 1-0 loss at home to Margate. They try to help us with a player being sent off after only 10 minutes, but we still don't manage a single shot on target in the whole match. Sub Ian Chapman is shown a 2nd yellow card only 8 minutes after coming on and the team produce the worst display under my management. We look completely inneffectual up front and are really starting to miss Peter Jones icon_frown.gif. No matter what combination I use, I do not seem to be able to find a regular scorer in the whole squad.

-----------------------------------------------

Two losses on the bounce is turned into three as Lewes dispatch us 1-0 in a tight game. The second loan striker Peter Graham is injured and adds to my goal scoring woes. A run of 3 losses is quickly converted to 4 as Gravesend beat us 1-0 at home with a winner in injury time. We were pretty good in this game and deserved at least a draw if not the win. The problem is that our young strike force are just not up to scratch.

----------------------------------------------

With one game remaining, there is a serious danger that we will not even make the play-offs. We've lost our last 4 games and have failed to score in the last 3. It is imperative that we get something from the last game of the season against rock bottom Hitchin. We scrape a 0-0 draw and it is just enough as 6th placed Gloucester are beated at home to Wellin. We clinch the last remaining play-off spot by 1 point.

Pos...Team................Played.Won......Drawn...Lost....For...Against. Diff.....Points.

1st....Weymouth...........46......24..........15.........7......63........37.......26.......87....

2nd...Eastleigh.............46......22..........18.........6......48........26.......22........84....

3rd....Havant.&.Water....46.....23...........11........12.....61........39.......22.......80.....

4th....Chelmsford..........46......20...........18........8......59........43.......16.......78.....

5th....Grays Athletic......46.....21...........13........12.....61........43.......18.......76.....

April 2015 recap.

League Home. Gray 1 Eastleigh 0. Goal, Davis Thomas.

League Away. Grays 1 Gloucester 2. Goal, Paul Moore.

League Home. Grays 0 Margate 1. Red card Ian Chapman.

League Away. Grays 0 Lewes 1.

League Home. Grays 0 Gravesend 1.

League Away. Grays 0 Hitchen 0.

The board are now just pleased with my performance icon14.gificon13.gif.

The club made a profit of £15,510 last month icon14.gif.

We really fell apart there and now I have the mammoth job of getting the players up for the play-offs. They are young and experienced and pretty tired now as well. A month ago we had just given up on automatic promotion but were almost quaranteed a play-off spot. We managed to sneak it in the end but a run of 5 games without a win and 4 games without a goal makes pretty poor reading icon_frown.gif.

Barnet Recap.

Despite my missgivings about the ability and character of Brian Borrows, Barnet storm to a respectable 14th placed finish in League 1 as they lose only 1 of their last 11 games icon_eek.gif. Francis Mead who had joined us on a long term loan from the Bees has made his move permanent. Francis has racked up 31 appearances at U21 level for Wales, (scoring 6 goals), and his versatility was a key factor in his signing. He has natural ability in 5 different positions. Borrows has released some of the youth team who are deemed surplout to requirements, but otherwise it is all quiet on the transfer front.

Conference South Playoff Semi Final Leg 1.

Apart from up front, I am just about able to select my strongest starting team. Eyres in goal, skipper White and penalty king Matthews at full back, and Francis Mead and Chris Charles at the heart of defence. Miller plays on the left and Bennett on the right, Battersby and Hughes Snr play in the middle. Up front, 17 year old Paul Moore is the senior striker as he is joined by Gary Peters.

It's a pretty tight game and finished 0-0, but it is not without it's dramas. Penalty taking left back Chris Matthews pulls his hamstring after only 5 minutes and is taken off on a stretcher. It looks quite bad and even if we progress, the season is over for him. Our luck seemed to return after a leave of absence when Eastleigh were awarded a penalty on the hour mark but could not hit the target. I was delighted with a clean sheet, and satisfied I suppose with a draw. On a negative note, Nicky Eyre finished the game hobbling and will be doubtful for the 2nd leg icon_frown.gif.

Conference South Playoff Semi Final Leg 2.

Francis Mead got the scoring underway from the spot after 15 minutes and Paul Bennett put us in a comfortable position late in the first half. Eastleigh threw everything at us late on but I think we were always in control with the away goal situation. In the dying moments, Eastleigh were awarded a penalty and possible had a chance. Nicky Eyre was up to the task and tipped the ball over the bar. It was to be a vital save as Eastleigh did score as the ref seemed to add on a huge amout of injury time. When he eventually blew the final whistle, we still led 2-1. Even if that penalty had gone in, we would have won on away goals............ wouldn't we..... icon_confused.gif???

Nicky Eyre was playing on pain killing injections and dragged us into the next round with a MOM performance. That's it for him as he will take no further part in the campaign. He's got us this far. We'll have to do the rest without him.

Conference South Playoff Final.

We meet Chelmsford and I am concerned. The only fit keeper we have at the club is Jonathan Briggs. Jonathan is 17 years old and has not played a senior game yet. Indeed when Nicky Eyre was injured a few months ago, I opted to bring two keepers in on trial rather than blood him in the senior team. There is no time for loans and no money or wages for transfers. Jonathan will make his debut in The Conference South Playoff Final icon_eek.gif.

Briggs makes his debut in goal, Scott Clark come in at left back for Matthews and I withdraw one of the strikers and play Kevin Morgan as a sweeper in an attempt to give Briggs a little more protection. 17 year old Paul Moore will play up front on his own.

It's all square in a really tight game with half an hour left. Chelmsford take the lead when Briggs fails to clear and he is robbed of posession. Centre back Francis Mead thumps home a header from a corner to level it up and we move into extra time. Within 4 minutes they are in front again, but their lead does not last as Francis Mead is again the saviour as he converts from the spot in the 109th minute for his 3rd goal in 2 games. Within 2 minutes however, Chelmsford have a penalty of their own and I feel our season is about to end. All that stands between us and penalties and a chance to prolong our season and keep alive our dreams of promotion, is a snotty nosed kid who is making his debut and has already cost us 1 goal icon_frown.gif.

Their left back steps up

SAVED! icon_biggrin.gif.

17 year old Jonathan Briggs has saved a penalty on his debut, that keeps alive our slim hopes of promotion.

He's engulfed by the other players but there is still 9 minutes to play. We hold out as both sets of players look ansolutely shattered and we head for the lottery that is a penalty shootout.

Briggs has already saved a penalty during extra time, and Mead has converted one. Surely this must be a sign of things to come.

We won the toss and decided to take our penalties first. The idea was to try and heap as much pressure as possible on to the Chelmsford players.

Miller stepped up................................. and scored icon14.gif.

The Chelmsford left back who saw his spot kick saved in extra time is going to take the first one. Saved by Briggs. He's saved a 2nd spot kick!! icon_eek.gif. The poor Chelmsford player looks like he wants the ground to open up and swallow him.

Francis Mead is next for Grays .......................... get in. Good penalty icon14.gif.

The second Chelmsford player steps up.......................he's put it wide icon_biggrin.gif! Awful penalty. Briggs did enough to put him off.

Next up for Grays is midfielder Dave Adams........................ Saved in style by the keeper icon13.gif. Grays still lead 2-0 though

3rd spot kick for Chelmsford......................................Goal, Briggs is sent the wrong way.

Steve Pearce is next up for Grays..................................Goal icon14.gif. It's 3-1 now to The Grays.

Chelmsford's 4th spot kick. They need to score this to stay in the game............................ Missed icon_razz.gif! He's put it over. Briggs managed somehow to put him off.

Grays have won and are through to the Final of the Conference Playoffs.

What a game! I still can't believe we won. From hero to villain in one game. Briggs gifts them their opener, saves a penalty to force a shootout and then only concedes 1 of 4 spot kicks! Legend in the making, surely.

Conference North/South Final.

Grays 3 Guiseley 1.

After the titanic tussle that was the Conference South Playoff Final, the Conference North/South Final is somewhat of anti-climax. I revert to a 442 as Guiseley seem nowhere near as strong as I expected. There seems to be quite a different in class between the North and South Leagues

John Kavanagh scores his first goal for the club from the spot after only 4 minutes and we are in control. Steve Pearce adds a 2nd with 20 minutes left and although they claw one back, Steve again restores our 2 goal buffer and we have won promotion to The Conference icon_biggrin.gif.

********NEWSFLASH******** 16th May 2016.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">KAVANAGH PRAISED BY GRAYS FAITHFUL

Fans of Grays Athletic were justly proud after the team gained promotion from the English Conference South.

Fans and pundits alike were unanimous that the person responsible for the team's success was Jim Kavanagh.

One fan commented that with Kavanagh at the helm he felt that anything was possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

********NEWSFLASH******** 16th May 2015.

GRAYS BOARD PRAISE KAVANAGH

The Grays board have announced that they are pleased to have won promotion and that everyone at the club was looking forward to seeing the team play at a higher level next season.

In a short message of thanks, a spekesperson declared that praise had to go to manager Jim Kavanagh for ensuring that a club of Grays' stature would no longer be playing in the English Conference South.

Grays Athletic end of season awards.

Fans Player Of The Year. Gary Battersby.

Top Goalscorer. Peter Jones 20.

Top League Goalscorer. Peter Jones 16.

Most Assists. Gary Battersby 10.

Highest Average Rating. Gary Battersby 6.81 (36 appearances).

Most Man of Match. Peter Jones 4.

Despite performing heroics in the Conference South Playoff Final, Jonathan Briggs will not be with the club next season. His youth contract has expired and he will not be offered a new one.

Also leaving the club are squad defenders Joe Bruce (31) and Big Tony Jackson (22). Neither is good enough for the step up in class.

Senior players Dennis Oli and Adam Miller are told that they are surplus to requirements. I was keen to off-loan Dennis from the start but since his injury, he just not recovered to a degree where I consider him effective. Miller on the other hand has played a part in 37 games this season, but he's lost his pace and a winger with no pace is about as useful as a .............

Strikers David Thomas and Kevin Nolan and Ben Saunders have all been put on the transfer list. Saunders is valued at £110,000 so I am hoping that I might be in for a little windfall.

Bit part players, Kevin Little, Kevin Byrne, Gary Keen and Jay Crawford will also either be released, sold or have their contacts paid off.

Our current wage total is £3886 per week. £286 over budget. Selling Oli will be a big help as he is still being paid £700 per week. His 5 goals and 12 appearances do not warrant that sort of outlay.

During the close seasom I will be looking to bring a number of players to strengthen the squad. A second keeper is a must, as is a big strong striker who can lead the line. I was also net that impressed with my wide players last term. On the left, Miller is out of the running and Leech is very inexperienced. On the right, Hughesy Jnr is not yet the ticket and Hall was out injured for so long that it's hard to form an opinion. Really I need to rebuild from scratch, but I am not sure that I will have the wage budget to entice the required talent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Despite performing heroics in the Conference South Playoff Final, Jonathan Briggs will not be with the club next season. His youth contract has expired and he will not be offered a new one.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disgraceful way to treat a club hero! Did he just play the one game, or did he play in the Guiseley game too?

Barnet's Ramon Calliste scored his 3rd International goal in his appearance as Wales hammered Azerbaijan 4-0 in Cardiff. Fulham's Ryan Shawcross was in the match squad but didn't feature. Ryan now has 23 Welsh caps but worringly has only picked up 2 this season.

The Grays board have announced that the transfer budget for this season will be £1,000.00. They will let me keep 55% of any monies I bring in through the sale of players.

Gary Battersby has been voted Grays' Player of the Year by the supporters. I personally would have gone for Barnet player Jonesy. Maybe the fact that he was only a loan signing made the difference. Gary did have a good season. He played some part in 43 games, scored 2 goals and created 10 assists. Surprisingly, he received only 1 MOM award. He is currently valued at £22,000 and is has 4 years left on a £100pw contract.

Acadamy goalkeeper Mark Cox has been promoted to the U18's squad. The 15 year old looks pretty poor at best to be honest. He's a local lad and is on a £10pw contract.

Pre-season report.

Gary Crosby who was promoted from Coach to Assistant Manager last year, has reported that the players retuened to the club today ready for pre-season training, but that 3 players were injured and unable to train.

17 year old midfielder Gary Naylor is suffering from a virus. He will be out for between 6 days and 3 weeks. Gary made 6 starts last season but I don't think he is ready for the next step.

Experienced keeper Nicky Eyre is still recovering from his ankle injury that he received during the playoffs last season. He is due back in the next couple of days.

Right winger Adam Hall broke his foot towards the end of the last season. He will return to training in about a week.

********NEWSFLASH******** 10th Jully 2015

BARNET'S FITZPATRICK UNHAPPY AT SALE OF PLAYER

Barnet player Jordan Fitzpatrick has revealed to his manager Brian Borrows that he is unhappy with the recent sale of goalkeeper Craig Gill.

The midfielder made clear his belief that the club cannot hope to succeed if they continue to sell their star players.

Gill had made a good finish to last seasons league campaign, and had taken over from Paul Jones as the first choice keeper. Gill has signed for Premiership Aston Villa for a fee of £600,000. He is now valued at £1,200,000. With Paul Jones also having left the club in a £50,000 deal that took him to Premiership Leeds, (where he is currently valued at £825,000.), and out of favour Sean O'Neill having joined Grays on a free icon_wink.gif, it remains to be seen who Borrows will select as his first choice keeper.

It's not only keepers that have been shown the door at Underhill. Winger Steve Fisher has been sold to Stoke for a paltry £150,000, exactly a year after he joined the Bees for £350,000 from Bournemouth. Midfielder John Rutherford has also left and has joined Ipswich for £40,000. less than a year after Borrows paid £725,000 for him.

If Borrows continues to sell the clubs brightest talent, and then squanders the proceeds on players who he then sells on at a loss, it appears that Barnet will be destined for another season of dispair and a long term future of financial uncertainty.

It's time to register squad numbers for the coming season. It makes me realise that I still have 2 players in the squad who played for Grays 6 years ago when we were last at this level. Nicky Eyre has asked that he keep his old number 16 bit I have a little phobia that means that all keepers must have a squad number ending in 1. Nicky will therefore be given number 21. The other who has played for us at this level is 24 year old right winger Adam Hall. Adam will get the 15 shirt.

I've brought in 7 players during the close season. Two are key players and will play an important role in the forthcoming campaign.

Sean O'Neill is a 27 year old keeper who was capped at U19 level by N.Ireland. Sean arrived on a free from my old club Barnet where he made 86 league appearances in 5 years. He has been deemed surplus to requirements and has joined the recent exodus of quality keepers. I get on really well with Sean and was always confidant of securing his signature once I knew he was to be released.

Centre half James Curtis has joined us on a 1 year contract. The 33 year old will add a wealth of experience after a career at Gateshead that involved him being promoted to League 2 twice via the playoffs. He was named in The English Conference Select in both 2012 & 2013. At 6'7" he is a giant of a man and will bring aerial ability and strength with his abundant experience.

Colchester have been made 5-4 favourites to gain promotion from the English Conference this season. As we have been given odds of 25-1, it appears that the bookmakers have us tipped as an outside chance for promotion.

********NEWSFLASH******** 13th August 2015.

CHARLTON SIGN FITZPATRICK.

Charlton have signed Barnet's Jordan Fitzpatrick for a fee of £825,000.

Fitzpatrick made 35 first team appearances for Barnet last season.

He's sold a key player to one of his rivals, AGAIN angryfire.gif. Yes he got a few quid for him, but how do you replace a key player like that. Jordan had made 229 league appearances during his 9 year spell at the club, chipping in with 15 goals and 15 assists.

Archived