Jimbokav1971

The first competive game of the season sees us entertain Hednesford. They finished 11th in The Conference last season, so they should prove a good test. I've been able to pick from a full strength squad as we have no injuries for a change, but if I'm honest I'm not happy with my own tea, selection. I haven't been able to sign the goal scorer that we so needed and so have to start with Saunders and Nolan up front. I don't think that either are god enough, but don't have anybody better. I decide to go for a big strong team and try to outmuscle the away side. I've picked 8 players in the squad who are at least 6 foot tall and hope that giant centre half James Curtis will prove a threat from set-pieces. I suppose I'm trying to emulate the type of play that brought European football to Bolton in 2005. Big, strong, hardworking players playing direct at a high temp and trying hard to gain an advantage from set peices. Despite bolstering the squad with some much needed experience, I still field 4 teenagers and only have 3 players over 24. The time for growing up has arrived.

Sean O'Neill will start as my first choice keeper after his arrival from Barnet. Last seasons skipper, Gary White starts at full back with penalty king Chris Matthews and Big James Curtis partners Francis Mead at centre back and will captain the side. Surely the imposing figure of 6'7" Curtis will strike fear into the opposition as soon as he leads us out. Adams and Battersby play in the middle, with Scott Clark on the left and new signing, (again from Barnet) icon_wink.gif, Tony Berry, playing on the right.

Our joy at playing our first game in the Conference for 6 years is shortlived as we concede after only 5 minutes. We play better in the 2nd half but don't really threaten too often. Left back Chris Matthews is shown a 2nd yellow card with 20 minutes remaining and we start our league campaign with a loss icon13.gif.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived