What's your Opposition Instructions?

From reading on here, what's peoples way of setting up opposition instructions? alot of what i've read over time conflicts.

How do you setup your opposition instructions to deal with..

-Pacey Strikers

-Strong Strikers

-Wingers

-Center Midfield

-Center Backs

-Full/Wing Backs

-Goalkeeper

My assistant usually tells me to close down, weaker foot and hard tackle everyone.. which i'm sure is wrong!

I'll tell you mine and you can say were i might be going wrong:

(Bare in mind i play as Man Utd and i play attacking football in the opposition half which is why i picked this, but it might seem abit much or to much for my players)

-Pacey Stikers : I tight mark to make sure he can't use his pace, show on to weaker foot, sometimes hard tackling.

-Strong Strikers : I close down, never tight mark, show to weak foot and maybe hard tackling.

-Wingers : show most onto weaker foot and close down.

-Center Midfield : close down, hard tackling and show onto weaker foot.

-Center Backs : only close down to stop them settling on the ball.

-Full/Wing Backs : show on to weaker foot to stop crosses and close down.

-Goalkeeper : close down and hard tackling to force errors.

Whats your opinion and what do you do that seems to work?

Thanks for any feedback :)

I do strikers the other way around, and it works for me. So I don't tight mark pacey strikers, because I find that tight marking is easily beat with through balls to space, if my defender is slower or not too agile. As an exception, I might consider tight marking them when they are also tall. In the latter case, I also make sure some other defender is also near, in case my marking defender is beat with a through ball. I do close pacey attackers down.

I tight mark strong strikers, because I find this to be safer against headers (safer than closing down). I close them down too if they are lone strikers (so I have a "free" defender who can cover). If they have good ability of holding up the ball, I foul them hard.

I use show onto weaker foot according to tactical considerations, do I want the opponent to move/pass inwards, outwards or I don't care? In the latter case, which is the simplest, I refrain from show into onto weaker foot only if they have two good feet. I also might refrain when they are much faster than my defender, but I may try it first and see how it goes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am using the 1st patch.

dont really use this option but if i feel a opp player has the capacity to destroy my team, then i will definitely use OI.

winger = weaker foot. (i dont feel closing down always is a good option specially for pacey and technical wingers. he might left my fullback for dead so i leave the decision to my fullback how he handle the situation)

midfield = closing down always, weaker foot, hard tackling optional

striker = tight marking always, closing down never, weaker foot.

fullbacks= weaker foot

goallie = hard tackle :cool:

My laptop restarted itself after not saving it for two games, using my old method of opposition instructions i beat atletico madrid 4-1 (away) and beat west brom (away) 2-0. I replayed these games using your opposition instructions and beat atletico 2-1 and lost to west brom 4-2. I know comparing the two games can't be just done by replying as weird and wondiful thing can happen to change the outcome of games, however i'm thinking now maybe it my tactics.

Does anyone set both DC to man mark? if so does this conflict with opposition instructions?

or maybe it's because 1 DC should be more defensive and be zonally marking to act as cover if the other DC loses the striker?

thanks for any feedback.

i have a basic setting for each position

** (Tight Marking),(Closing Down), (Tackling), (Show On Foot)

ST - Always, Always, Hard, Weaker

AMC - Not Specific, Always, Hard, Weaker

AMRL - Not Specific, Always, Hard, Right/Left Foot (opposite foot to position)

MC - Not Specific, Always, Hard, Not Specific

MRL - Not Specific, Always, Not Specific, Right/Left Foot (opposite foot to position)

DM - Not Specific, Not Specific Hard, Weaker Foot

WB - Not Specific, Not Specific, Hard, Right Left Foot (opposite foot to position)

I'm not sure how much of an impact this has had on players or the match, but thats how i've always done through FM08 & FM09

JJuk, I play loose marking, so the only players that are tight marked are the ones I choose through OI. The rest are always closed down (I set no closing down instruction for opponent DCs and goalkeeper though).

Yes, man marking can conflict with opposition instructions. They will look for someone to man mark, but maybe I don't want them to.

How did West Bromwich score their goals against you?

Gk - Always close down

Fbs - Show on to weaker foot

Cbs - No instructions

Dms - Always close down, hard tackling, show on to weaker foot

Mcs - " " " " " " " "

Wingers - Always close down, show on to weaker foot

Amcs - Always close down, show on to weaker foot

Sts - Show on to weaker foot

Very effective, especially against stronger teams and should apply for all players and teams.

From reading on here, what's peoples way of setting up opposition instructions? alot of what i've read over time conflicts.

How do you setup your opposition instructions to deal with..

-Pacey Strikers

-Strong Strikers

-Wingers

-Center Midfield

-Center Backs

-Full/Wing Backs

-Goalkeeper

My assistant usually tells me to close down, weaker foot and hard tackle everyone.. which i'm sure is wrong!

I'll tell you mine and you can say were i might be going wrong:

(Bare in mind i play as Man Utd and i play attacking football in the opposition half which is why i picked this, but it might seem abit much or to much for my players)

-Pacey Stikers : I tight mark to make sure he can't use his pace, show on to weaker foot, sometimes hard tackling.

-Strong Strikers : I close down, never tight mark, show to weak foot and maybe hard tackling.

-Wingers : show most onto weaker foot and close down.

-Center Midfield : close down, hard tackling and show onto weaker foot.

-Center Backs : only close down to stop them settling on the ball.

-Full/Wing Backs : show on to weaker foot to stop crosses and close down.

-Goalkeeper : close down and hard tackling to force errors.

Whats your opinion and what do you do that seems to work?

Thanks for any feedback :)

Atm I only use Matts counter attack and queens 4-4-2 and on both those tactics all I have to do is set weaker foot on both strikers and am good to go! Real time saver compared to formations where you have to check every player and set several OI on each attacking player.

Archived