Tactics Theory

Hi,

I really can't get to grips with the tactics in this game. I struggled in FM08 aswell.

Can anyone tell me basically how the tactics work in conjunction with player instructions. Should we be giving the players instructions only or a bit of player instructions and team.

The slider bars are from 1 - 20 and I have an idea thinking that players attributes are also in this range so I started matching players instructions to their attributes.

For example if you have a player with creativity of 18 I would but the players instruction for creativity to 18.

If someone is below 15 for pace and acceleration i would put forward runs on mixed as they dont have the pace to get back. Higher than 15 to oftern and 10 or below to rare.

IS this a good way to think or am I not getting the whole tacts side of the game

Thanks

Allan

From my own personal experience, I have found that adopting a global mentality works better than having all players set to an individual mentality as the build up play is more fluid. At the end of the day, the best teams play as a unit, so having everyone on individual instructions would cause confusion and be less fluid.

My own personal preference at the moment is playing a 4-1-3-2 formation, all players are set to 15 for mentality except for my 2 central defenders and my defensive midfielder who are all set to 6 for their mentality. I find this is a nice balance as the majority of my team are attacking, but there are a couple set to defensive just so I am a bit tighter at the back and not completely gung-ho.

With creativity, I wouldn't give too many players much creative freedom as the more you give them, the more they ignore the other instructions you give them.

As a starting point I would set everyone to team instuctions only and ignore individual instructions (apart from forward runs, run with the ball etc...) and then start to make slight adjustments as you see fit.

Dont expect any miracles though, as it stands now hardly anyone can find a decent consistent tactic for the game. Its not a bad thing to read tt&f but take it with a pinch of salt.

Why say that? It actually makes an awful lot of sense, and explains an awful lot too. Also the fact that Paul Collyer actually endorsed the guide says an awful lot for how effective it can be if done in the right way.

To say "take it with a pinch of salt" is insulting the two guys who put in all the effort and research to produce it.

Why say that? It actually makes an awful lot of sense, and explains an awful lot too. Also the fact that Paul Collyer actually endorsed the guide says an awful lot for how effective it can be if done in the right way.

To say "take it with a pinch of salt" is insulting the two guys who put in all the effort and research to produce it.

You don't have to follow the guide all the way.

Different players need different instructions to play well.

In TT&F, the wingers are encouraged to have the "attack" role. However, if your team comprises of Fabregas as your MC and your only winger is Gary Teale, then you should adapt and change your tactics.

This is why he said to "take it with a pinch of salt".

Its more of a basic guideline for you.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Been reading a lot of the the guide before and a little bit more tonight. VEry interesting read and focusses on a lot of things that I thought.

I think what I really need to get into my head is that fm is no longer the game where you pick a tactic then off you go it is now so realistic that you need to be changing your team instructions and player instructions every game trying to focus on the weakest areas of the opposition.

I also have to say I am glad that the game has went down this route its just a matter of staying focused and not allowing yourself to let your tactics slip.

Sorry about the poor spelling and grammer etc but its 3am and i am just hitting keys lol

Allan

Archived