Melfi - Far South in the Basilicata

Loeffle

After my career in Scotland came to a sad end (http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/9352092102), I decided to start something completely different.

I was always curious to start my own story (or report) with a Lower League team, and as I'm off to Southern Italy for vacation next week, I told myself, why not?

Region: Basilicata

Province: Potenza

Town: M e l f i

17,138 inhabitants, known for its castle "Castel del Monte" where Frederick II hold the "council of Melfi".

Melfi is not known as a football town, but at least it hosted two states of the "Giro d'Italia" in the 90'es. The closest "known" football teams are Salernitana, Foggia and Bari. As far I can overview the names in Serie C2/2 ASC Potenza should be my closest rivals. But Im up for surprises.

Setup:

- Database Huge

- Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Italy and Norway (all down to lowest league) selected.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After my career in Scotland came to a sad end (http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/9352092102), I decided to start something completely different.

I was always curious to start my own story (or report) with a Lower League team, and as I'm off to Southern Italy for vacation next week, I told myself, why not?

Region: Basilicata

Province: Potenza

Town: M e l f i

17,138 inhabitants, known for its castle "Castel del Monte" where Frederick II hold the "council of Melfi".

Melfi is not known as a football town, but at least it hosted two states of the "Giro d'Italia" in the 90'es. The closest "known" football teams are Salernitana, Foggia and Bari. As far I can overview the names in Serie C2/2 ASC Potenza should be my closest rivals. But Im up for surprises.

Setup:

- Database Huge

- Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Italy and Norway (all down to lowest league) selected.

After landing in the coastal town of Bari, I head to Bari Centrale taking the first train to the mountains where my new home Melfi is located.

The trip goes faster as expected and after only one train change in Foggia I arrive in Melfi 2h46mins later. Mr. Guiseppe Maglione, Mr. Gerardo Cignarale and Mr. Pierpaolo Castaldi pick me up at the small station. Communication is a bit problematic as I'm Norwegian speaking the Northern languages, some French, Spanish and only a tad Polish and Lithuanian.

The three men invite me to Albergo Ristorante I Due Pini on Piazzale Stazione which is just on the opposite side of the station "building". No matter what will happen in future, the food is fantastic there.

What I understand is that we have a problem with the wage budget: The signori say we shouldn't spend more than 737.000 €/year, but currently the wages are 940.000 €/year. Oh la la, we have to restucture. Guess I won't use my transfer budget of 50.000 €.

Melfi has currently 37 players under contract : 36 Italians (none of them speaks any of the languages I know) and one guy from Ivory Coast. Thank God, c'est possible de parler francais icon_smile.gif I guess he will be my translator for the first couple of months.

All positions are covered well, but I guess we dont have much talent available. Mr Maglione my chairman somehow agrees on that, and expects us to fight bravely against relegation.

After some pasta, bisteccine and tiramisu I feel like I had enough for day 1. But my board wants me to show the stadium and clubhouse. Thankfully it's only a 500 metres walk to Via Attilio Di Napoli where Sant'Abruzzese (also known as "Arturo Valerio") is located. The stadium looks decent with a capacity of 2.300 (2000 seats), but everything else looks like the facilities of 8th divisionist FC Löffingen where I learnt to play the game. Very basic ...

In the dressing room five obscure men are waiting. After some translation tries of Almamy Doumbia I understood they are my assistant, my coach, my scout and two physios. Well, I'll see what I can do we those guys.

Via Doumbia my assistant Nicola Di Leo tells me that he set up already seven friendlies. Of those six at home, among others against Bari and Roma Reserves.

First game though is on the road to Manfredonia. Thankfully I bought a 500 page Road Atlas Italy on the airport, so I can check out where that team is located. After seeing those naughty mountain roads I decide that we use the train for as many road games as possible.

I say mille grazie to my board and ask my assistant, coach and Doumbia to stay, so we can take a look at our squad. The main question is who could be sold to get our wages under control?

I tell my coaches that they should promote everybody with some talent to the first team squad, so we can figure out during preseason who is ready for Serie C2. Totally we have 27 players who start preseason in 1st team:

GK Ermanno Fumagalli 23 years: last season 30 games for Melfi. Strengths rushing out and aerial ability. Unfortunately slow as a snail and pretty below the standard I'd like for my starting goalkeeper.

GK Raffaele Coscia 22 years: didn't play any games since 2003, when he had two games for Tivoli. Does ok in the air, in the area and one on one. Also slow and horrible in rushing out.

I have a goalkeeper problem!

SW Marcello Fennino 19 years: played for Melfi U 20 last season. unlike most of my squad he's very determined. With only 19, I hope he developes some defending skills quickly.

DR Salvatore D'Angelo 30 years: last season 12 appearances for Melfi. A bit slow for a full back. But at least he tackles and marks decent. If I won't offload him due to his high wage, a candidate for the 1st 11.

DR Gaetano Avolio 23 years: three games for Melfi in 2005. Looks like a clone of D'Angelo. Sadly his wage is equally high. If neither is sold, one of them could be moved to DC.

DL Vincenzo Marciano 18 years: coming from Melfi youth. Not yet ready for 1st eleven. But decent in most defensive attributes. Could be a future starter.

DC Luca Patarini 22 years: Didn't play since 2003, when he was with Salernitana. Slow, bad in tackling and marking. Wouldn't be good for Melfi if a guy of this calibre starts in league.

DC Luigi Cuomo 22 years: 26 games for Melfi last season, scoring two goals. Decent defender for Melfi standards, but won't be a rock in our defense, I fear.

DM Luca Selvaggi 17 years: one game for us in 2004/05. Could have a hot future ahead of him. Maybe already an option for the bench this season, most likely at DC or DL.

DM Vincenzo Esposito 17 years: another product of the Melfi youth system. Would be a starter in central defense if he wouldn't be a dwarf. Guess his future is at fullback or winger.

DM Guiseppe Montano 18 years: as Selvaggi and Esposito homegrown talent. Has brilliant technique and executes nice standards. Sadly not determined at all.

DM Gianmarco Rodio 19 years: Joined from non league Bellaria, after three seasons at Salernitana. Without any doubt he will be an anchor in my midfield and defense. Only weaknesses are pace and heading.

DL and DC are problem areas. Guess at least one of my young DMC's has to play DC. D'Angelo, Avolio and Rodio look like given starters.

MRL Giovanni Lorusso 24 years: 20 games for us last year, scoring once. Pretty average midfielder, rather determined and fast.

ML Agostino Roma 18 years: first year in professional football. Showing quite some talent for his age. Sadly not really determined and having bad technique.

MC Andrea Cammarota 22 years: Playing 19 games (one goal) for my league foes Nocerina last season. Solid midfielder which I might use as MR, AMC or DMC. For this level no striking weaknesses except natural fitness.

MC Diego Russo 24 years: 18 games for us last season, with one goal. Not worth the 40.000 € he earns, rather useless in my system. Hot candidate not being with Melfi at the end of this month.

AMR Carmine Gaeta 22 years: scored one goal in six games for Melfi last season. Quite creative, good piece taker, but very bad stamina. Could be my AMC? If yes, he will be a lazy one.

AMRL Antonio La Porta 23 years: On loan from Foggia at Melfi last season. Played in 14 games. Fast winger who crosses well and is a given penalty taker. His other attributes suck sadly. Born for the bench?

AMRL Beniamino Liberti 20 years: On loan from Salernitana at Bellaria (Serie C2) last season. 5 goals in 35 games. More suited to be a striker than a midfielder. But very slow and small. Maybe give him a shot as winger?

AML Almamy Doumbia 21 years: 27 games for Melfi in 2004/05. My African friend is quick, aggressive and determined (determination is virtually unknown attribute at Melfi?). Could be used everywhere as backup and my translator.

AMLC Martino Gravante 18 years: Playing for Melfi's U 20 last season. Small and very light, virtually no stamina. So I guess he's a born playmaker. Might even get a shot at the 1st eleven?

AMC Nathan Schiavon 30 years: Scoring 5 in 23 games for us last season. One of the top earners of the team. Could score a bunch for Melfi, but awful in passing and not determined. Will listen to offers for him to lower my wages.

No real weaknesses or strenght in this area. Cammarota should be a starter, the rest of the guys must fight for a starting spot. Maybe I'll retrain one or two of my talented DM's for offensive midfield.

FC Federico Lauria 30 years: 9 goals in 32 games for Northern Italian C2 outfit Valenzana. Not a bad striker for C2, but is he worth 90.000 €/year? I guess not ...

ST Vinicio Paris 20 years: 15 games for Melfi last season. No goals. This will be the make it or break it year for him. He's quick, has good technique and some technique. But enough talent to be a starter?

ST Francesco Roberto 18 years: First year as a prof. He's a clone of Partis but two years younger. Those two might compete for a place on the bench.

ST Antonio Rubino 16 years: Also a rookie. Showing a fair deal of talent. Guess he'll play mostly in U 20, but I give him a shot during preseason.

ST Jacopo Venturini 23 years: First year on Melfi's roster. A great finisher, but horrible in passing and tackling. Not determined, but very aggressive. We'll have to see what we do with him.

Lauria and Schiavon are one class better than the rest. But their wages give me nightmares. The other four strikers might not be good enough to score in Serie C2.

So my first day in Basilicata Province comes to an end. I walk to Hotel Farese which is my home for my first weeks.

With a tasty glass of Chianti I make my first "to do" list:

- get some better cheap coaches

- look for a better goalkeeper and left defender (on loan maybe?)

- unload some of the older high paid players

- add some determined players to my squad

- learn some Italian

03.07.05 - 07.07.05

I was rather shocked when I met my staff and decided that my young talents deserve better training. So we brought in some new coaches:

Massimo Persico: 46 year old native of San Benedetto del Tronto

Carlo Osellame: 53 year old native of Montebelluna

Giancarlo Oddi: 56 year old native of Rome

Roberto Guidi: 35 year old born somewhere in Calabria

and a new scout:

Francesco Zanchini 57 year old born somewhere in Lazio

We also got some offers for Paris, Ruffo, Schiavon and Roberto.

To save money I also bought 25 "Mezzogiorno tickets" at Melfi Station. This means we can sell our 30 year old FIAT coach and travel by train to almost every road game.

My chairman looked a bit confuzed and called me strange Northerner when I told him about my decision.

Both scouts are sent out to scout the nation and serie C1/2, but so far I didn't spot any decent signings.

We decided to accept C1/B outfit Massese's offer for Nathan Schiavon. He was one of the top earners and certainly a key player, but I have to rework my wage bill.

I got 26.000 € for him, and if he scores well for his new club we will receive extra payments. Massese's fans showed their unease when they heard Schiavon signed for their club.

Melfi says farewell to a midfielder. Diego Russo wasn't worth the 40.000 €/year he had in his contract. That's why we shipped him to Castel di Sangro, a rather ambitious amateur team. Russo was sold for 18.000 €. If he plays in some league games we will get more money.

The big sell-out continues: Vinicio Paris is shipped to non-leaguers Fano. Fano's contract was running out and he was paid too much as well. Cashed in another 10.000 € for him.

After ten days in Melfi I reduced the wage bill from 940.000 € to 800.000 € by selling three players. Only one of them was supposed to start in the league. Instead I signed four coaches and a scout.

Sadly - while my league opponents sign without rest - nobody wants to join our cute mountain town team so far. My scouts didn't do anything so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flying_Fin:

Looking like a good start icon_smile.gif I love stories about Italian clubs ^^ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kiitos icon_smile.gif It's my first ever story, and I still have to find my own style.

Usually I don't like Italian football at all, but the lower leagues there look very thrilling. I have also a weakness for mountains teams, as I'm from the mountains as well icon_smile.gif

Basilicata Abbey News

Interview with Andreas Fritsche - New Coach of Melfi

Sister Francesca (SF): Mr. Fritsche I'm Sister Francesca, the responsible sports reporter of the local weekly BAN. How did it happen you made a switch from Hibernian in Scotland to our small mountain town in Southern Italy?

Andreas Fritsche (AF): Well, Sister Francesca. I had a very nice time in Scotland, built a great team there, even qualified for 1st knockout stage. But after defeating Hearts away my chairman went crazy and sacked me out of the blue. I was unemployed for half a year before my friend Frank told me in a dream that the coach of Melfi suddenly diappeared during the summer break. I took the plane to Bari, and was at once impressed of Melfi.

SF: Melfi is widely considered to be the team to achieve direct relagation this season. The squad is known to be not very talented and determination isn't known down here. And now you even sold Schiavon who scored more than 1/3 of our goals last season and two other talents.

AF: Well, I had two options. Either I keep all players and Melfi is bankrupt before St. Nikola or I start rebuilding at once. Schiavon scored a lot, and he will continue to score for Massese, but don't forget he alone earned 10 % of our wage budget. I'm sure we can replace Russo and Paris easily

SF: All the other C2/C teams are signing players for free and loan veterans from upper leagues like crazy. Why didn't Melfi sign a single player so far? Our defense looks horrible and our goalkeepers might be good in harvesting grapes, but they shouldn't start in professional football.

AF: You are right, Sister! Compared to many other C2 teams Melfi is virtually unknown outside the Basilicata, so its very hard to sign new players. In addition we still have to reduce our wage budget. Anyway we already signed some good coaches and my plan is to develop the players we have now by training them well. I agree some positions have to be strenghened quickly.

SF: What are your goals for this season, for future?

AF: Even if no expert takes me serious now, but my goal is to finish 13th and to avoid the relegation playoffs. A number of opponents will underestimate us. We will use that mental advantage. Next goal is to become the No 1 team in the Basilicata. The mountain people of Melfi will be proud of their team and give us more strength and financial security. Within 5 to 10 years we should be the best team of mainland Southern Italy.

SF: Best team of mainland Southern Italy? You like our wine, don't you? Melfi never played in C1 or higher. It's quite impossible (even if the Lord is with us) that we can compete with Lecce, Bari, Napoli or Salernitana. If you survive your first season here, aren't you going to jump ship to a bigger team?

AF: Unless a very special (non-Italian) team approaches me, Melfi is my future. As coach of Hibs I was offered to become coach of Ireland twice and declined.

SF: The nuns of La Foresteria di San Leo who publish BAN every Sunday wish you luck and harmony at your new job. We will follow Melfi's games closely.

AF: Mille grazie

My interview with BAN's Sister Francesca seemed to help. I'm in serious contract negotiations with two teams for a decent Goalkeeper and Left Defender. Maybe I can sign them in time for the first preseason match?

Guess I drank again too much vino. The first game is already tonight and we didn't book any tickets for the train yes.

Thankfully Nicola Di Leo does the job for me and we (24 players) catch the 15:53 heading to Foggia just in time. We change trains in Foggia where we have one hour. The whole team assemples for a Cappuccino. I excuse for the lousy preparation but the guys seem not too care that much. At 18:10 the train to Sportiva Manfredonia who won our league last season leaves and after 27 minutes we arrive. Just in time for the 19:30 kick-off.

Manfredonia is beautifully located on the Gulf of Manfredonia and with 57.424 inhabitants much bigger than Melfi. Even if the bookmakers didn't give any odds for the game, the newly promoted Puglians are clear favorites at Miramare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

This is excellent, Loeffle, old buddy. I especially like your choice of newspaper reporter, an inspired touch. The possibilities are endless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif But don't forget I'm a Roman Catholic icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks a lot But don't forget I'm a Roman Catholic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew there was a good reason we got on....(me by marriage though icon_wink.gif)

19.07.05 - 19:30 - Miramare, Manfredonia (Puglia) - Friendly

Dry 22°C

Manfredonia - Melfi 2:0 (1:0)

Attendance:202

Referee: Paolo Bertini

Melfi's Starting Formation (4-4-2 Diamond)

Fumagalli ©

Marciano - Cuomo - D'Angelo - Avolio

Rodio - Doumbia - Esposito - Gravante

Lauria - Venturini

MoM: Gaetano Lonardo (DC, Manfredonia)

24.07.05 - BAN (SF) - Melfi loses as expected on the road

Melfi lost its first friendly under the helm of Andreas Fritsche 0:2 away to Manfredonia. Even if Manfredonia was the dominant side, Melfi did much better than expected.

The first of Manfredonia's goals, who are newly promoted to Serie C1, came after a freekick and some very bad marking by Melfi. The first chance of the game was wasted my Melfi striker Lauria. But Lonardo of Manfredonia clared off the line.

The Puglians continued to dominate as expected, but Melfi's Goalkeeper Fumagalli wasn't a very busy man for the remainder of the 1st half.

Melfi has again the better start to 2nd half. But an excellent chance by Roberto, who replaced the awful Venturini, was saved by Sassanelli. Three minutes later Caracciolese scored easily on a rebound.

The rest of the game was a bore, but we were rather impressed by the Melfi's fighting spirit, which didn't allow Manfredina to come close scoring again.

Pundits are increasingly worried because Melfi still wasn't able to sign any players to bolster the defense and add some death up front.

Finally I get a fax. Wow, this have to be the confirmation that a player joins on a loan. Finally ...

But even if I don't know Italian, I see this can't be a fax from a player as it wears the log of "Serie C".

I call Almamy so he can translate it into French.

The fax says:

"Serie C Cup Group Stage groups drawn"

Melfi have been drawn in Group G of the Italian Serie C Cup along with Chieti, Foggia, Guilianova and Pro Vasto. Group matches will start on 17.08.2005.

Very interesting indeed, Serie C Cup. No idea what it is, so Almamy tells me that we play two of the drawn teams at home and two on the road. He can't remember how many teams advance.

Anyway, I know Foggia will be a derby. They play in C1, one division above me. About Chieti and Guilianova I know nothing, just that they play in C1 as well. Pro Vasto is the same division and group as me.

Sadly the lucrative friendlies against Roma Reserves and Bari are cancelled. The league match against Andria Bat is moved to a Wednesday evening. Thrilling to play at night in Melfi.

Melfinians are gathering at the local trainstation. Our first signing of the season is supposed to arrive there. Honestly I almost gave up hope that we can bolster our squad. But now he is here:

Michele Nicoletti - Goalkeeper

We got him from lower league team Ferentino, where he was a regular last season. Not really cheap for 20.000 €, but we needed a new goalkeeper to challange those I have on my roster. In his younger years Nicoletti even played for well known teams like Como and Piacenza. Let's wait and see how he'll settle in the Basilicata.

26.07.05 - 19:30 - Sant'Abruzzese Melfi - Friendly

Dry 26°C

Melfi - Frosinone (Latium, Serie C1/B) 0:1 (0:0)

Attendance:144

Referee: Paolo Bertini (again)

Nicoletti ©

Marciano - Cuomo - Patarini - D'Angelo

Montano - Roma - Gaeta - La Porta

Lauria - Rubino

MoM: Michele Nicoletti (GK, Melfi)

Even if we lost again, I'm not disappointed. We shouldn't forget Frosinone is one division higher and throughout the 90 minutes the game was open. Our new Goalkeeper played brilliant, but maybe it was a fault to let him play after his long trip in the train. He had to get off injured after Frosinone's lead. With his injury he's out between four days and two weeks. But he showed that he might help us this season. Now Melfi has just to find a way to score goals.

03.08.05 - 19:30 - Sant' Abruzzese Melfi - Friendly

Dry 31°C

Melfi - Cavese (from Cava de' Tirreni, Campania, Serie C2/B) 1:1 (0:0)

Attendance: 127

Referee: Pasquale Rodomonti

Coscia

Selvaggi - Fennino - Montano - Avolio

Esposito - Doumbia - Lorusso © - Gravante

Di Giacomo - Roberto

Goal Gravante (Esposito)

MoM: Raffaele Coscia (GK, Melfi)

Today we hosted Cavese from Cava de' Tirreni, a town near Salerno. For the first time our team didn't enter the game as underdogs. But the first half was just horrible. Our defense only allowed Cavese a couple of long short, our offense created only one good chance, which was awfully wasted by Roberto. It seemed that my mountainguys are not really fond of hot and steamy weather.

Anyway I told them during the break to become a little more offensive in the 2nd half. And honestly thit was not the Melfi I knew that came out of the dressing room. In the 50th minute Salvagi passed to Esposito who hit a lovely 25 meters pass in the way of Gravante who scored easily. My first goal in three games. In the following 10 minutes we continued to press Cavese back, but Selvaggi, Roberto and Gravante wasted big chances. After 77 minutes a goal war ruled out by the referee. We still don't know why. On the counter Moscatelli gave Cavese the lucky equalizer. Loanie Di Giacomo did well, but had to leave the pitch exhausted after 66 minutes. I wonder if my guys can become fit for the next friendly on Sunday?

• 3 weeks later...

07.08.05 - 16:00 - Sant' Abruzzese, Melfi - Friendly

Melfi - Castrovillari (Calabria, Non-League) 5:0 (2:0)

Wet 26°C

Attendance: 128

Referee: Gabriele Gava

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Addo - Rodio - Cuomo - D'Angelo ©

Selvaggi - Roma - La Porta - Liberti

Venturini - Rubino

Goals:

Venturini (16', 28')

Lauria (68', 82', 83')

MoM: Federico Lauria (ST, Melfi, scored a hattrick in 28 minutes on the pitch)

For the first time we entered a game as favourites and we really showed the pundits that they were right. From the first moment we dominated our opponents from the very South of Italy. Key to victory was that we controlled the ball (56 % possession) and that we didn't allow Castrovillari a single shot on target.

The whole team was playing well, but the strikers Venturini and Lauria were key players with their superb finishing.

Now we have one friendly and a fitness test on Monte Vulture left before the first cup game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanel:

Loeffle story. icon_smile.gif

Read it through. Love Italian stories. Beautiful country! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grazie Mille icon_smile.gif Just came back from me real Italy vacation - guess its also giving results icon_wink.gif

10.08.05 - 19:30 - Sant' Abruzzese, Melfi - Friendly

Melfi - Crotone (Calabria, Serie B) 0:2 (0:2)

Dry 29°C

Attendance: 139

Referee: Diego Preschern

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - Montano - Patarini - Avolio

Esposito - Doumbia - Cammarota - Gravante

Di Giacomo - Roberto

MoM: Nazzareno Tarantino (ST, Crotone)

As expected Crotone who play two leagues above us and who have among others players from Paraguay, Brazil and Morocco in their squad were at least two numbers two big for us. We had a brilliant chance to take the lead after 32 seconds, but our striker lost his nerves one on one with the goalie. Crotone deserved the lead at the break, but the second half was an open affair.

Now we have one week left until the first match of the season

Agostino Roma whom I offered to other clubs went public complaining about me. His contract is running out at the of the season, but I doubt he would stay under the current financial situation. So I decided to offer him to other clubs to relieve my wage bill already now. Guess he will leave Melfi soonish.

14.08.05 - BAN (SF) - Melfi's final preseason fitness test on Monte Vulture

Melfi Coach Andreas Fritsche continues to use special preseason methods to prepare the team for the new season which starts with the first Serie C Cup on Wednesday.

Yesterday morning at 8:00 (doesn't Fritsche know the average Serie C2 player isn't sleeping before 5:00 on Saturday morning?) the remaining 1st team squad (21 field players, 2 goalkeepers) gathered at Melfi Station. But this time they didn't take the train; station was the starting point for some cross country run to the summit of Monte Vulture, a 1326 m high mountain around 10 km's South of Melfi.

Asked why he sends his players uphill, Fritsche answered that he wasn't quite happy with the level of fitness some players showed during friendly matches. Fritsche himself rode on his bike to the summit, where he stopped the time of every player. "100 minutes should be the absolute limit to arrive at Monte Vulture", Fritsche told his guys at the station.

19 year old defense specialist Gianmarco Rodio, who played very well in preseason arrived after only 47 minutes. Gaetano Avolio came in 2nd, while strikers Jacopo Venturini and Federico Lauria shared 3rd place. Four players didn't make it in time. Young defensive midfielder Luca Selvaggi (106 minutes), offensive midfielder Antonio La Porta (113 minutes), as well as both goalkeepers (Ermanno Fumagalli 116 minutes, Michele Licoletti 140 minutes).

After everyone arrived, the whole squad continued for a nice mountain hike which goal was the Abbay of St. Michele where the monks already waited for the team with a healthy breakfast. While late finishers Selvaggi and La Porta had to the dishes, the goalkeepers were sentenced to spend the whole weekend with the monks. Fritsche thought its a great way for them to concentrate for the next match.

We all are curiously awaiting the effects of this special preseason finish. Fritsche hopes that many show up for the cup match against Pro Vasto.

15.08.05 / 16.08.05

Crotone's midfielder Luigi Gaetano who caught my eye during the friendly joined us on loan. He will at least bring us some pace and passing skills in midfield.

Defensive utility man Stefano Fumagalli joins us for 6.000 € from non-league Ragusa. He offers pace and some heading and might us allow to trade another defender away.

17.08.05 - 19:30 - Aragona, Vasto - Serie C Cup Grp G

Pro Vasto (Abruzzo, Serie C2/C) - Melfi 0:2 (0:1)

Dry 29°C

Attendance: 337

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - Rodio - Cuomo - Avolio

Selvaggi - La Porta - Cammarota © - Gravante

Venturini - Lauria

Goals:

Lauria (18', 66')

MoM: Federico Lauria (ST, Melfi, was deadly in front of the goal)

We left Melfi at 10:51 on Wednesday morning with the regional train to Foggia. After changing trains there we arrived in Vasto, a coastal town just before 14:00. Enough time to have a nice walk on the beach and have a tactical talk.

I had to make some difficult decisions: who should start on goal? The unfit and lazy Nicoletti or the hero of last season Fumagalli? Right defender was also not easy, but I chose the young and fast Avolio. One of my promising defensive midfielders (Rodio) started in central defense. The right and left midfielder were chosen due to their tackling and marking skills as I expected an offensive oppoent. Gravante first choise. Lauria was a given starter as striker, whilst I chose Venturini as his counterpart instead of Roberto.

On the paper Pro Vasto was very offensive and I would have been happy with a draw before the game, but somehow they didn't get anything going as didn't allow them any space in midfield. I had to two very good chances in the first 15 minutes before Venturini picked up a long ball by goalkeeper Nicoletti, which he played to the free Lauria, who scored easily. I should have doubled my lead before halftime, but finishing was a bit poor.

Also after halftime the hosts were poor on offense and several defensive blunders gave me more scoring chances which were all wasted. Just when Pro Vasto appeared to start contolling the game Lauria faked three defenders and scored his second goal of the game. The hosts were done and we should have added more goals.

On the wy back (we had two longs breaks in Pescara and Foggia) the guys celebrated their unexpected raid with wine and some Melfinese song I never heard before.

Well done, guys!

Back home our chairman Guiseppe Maglione welcomed us at the station and praised our performance.

As expected we unloaded Agostino Roma and his high wage. He was sold to our league rivals Viterbo.

Currently we are 90.000 €/year above our wage budget.

Elsewhere:

Community Shield

Arsenal - Chelsea 1:0

French Champions Trophy

Lyon - Auxerre 6:4 after penalties

German League Cup

Bayern Munich - Werder Bremen 1:2

Italian Super Cup

Juventus - Inter 4:5 after penalties

21.08.05 - 19:30 - Rubens Fadini, Guilianova - Serie C Cup Group G

Guilianova (Abruzzo, Serie C1/A) - Melfi 3:0 (3:0)

Dry 30°C

Attendance: 1233

Referee: Andrea De Marco

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - D'Angelo - Cuomo - Avolio /c)

Selvaggi - La Porta - Gaeta - Gravante

Venturini - Lauria

Goals:

1:0 (9')

2:0 (17')

3:0 (44')

MoM: Massimiliano Memmo (ST, Guilianova, decided the game with his two goals in the 1st 17 minutes)

Another trip to the Adriatic Coast, just a bit North of my last opponent Vasto. We were big underdogs as Guilianova's squad included some players on loan from Serie A and some others co-owned by Roma. The pundits didn't give as any chance to get away with anything there, and they should sadly be very right.

During the 90 minutes we managed two shots on goals and at half time the game was decided. At least we managed some decent defending in the 2nd half. I'm not overly sad with this defeat as it might show my guys that they have to fight hard in every game to get something going.

I spent the four hours in train on our way back home with some personal talks to some players. Only three days left until the league kicks off.

My playmaker Martino Gravante signed a new three year contract during our train ride home. He even agreed to a paycut, which means he earny 12.000 €/year from now on. Good guy!

Also Franco (DC), Roberto (ST) and Montano (DMC) agree to new (lower paid) contracts. Selvaggi, Doumbia, Esposito and Fumagalli reject.

24.08.05 - 19:30 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C Cup Grp G

Melfi - Foggia (Serie C1/A, Puglia) 1:2 (1:2)

Dry 22°C

Attendance: 2171

Referee: Marco Gabriele

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti -

Marciano - Patarini - Cuomo - Avolio

Selvaggi - Doumbia - Cammarota © - Liberti

Di Giacomo - Lauria

Goals:

0:1 (9')

0:2 (21')

1:2 Di Giacomo (23')

MoM: Fabio Fanelli (AMLC, Foggia, scoring one and making the play for the visitors)

Derby time in Melfi and we welcomed big brothers Foggia (where we always have to change trains) to Sant'Abruzzese. Of course we were again underdogs, also because I had to rest some regulars due to exhaustion. Sadly Foggia took advantage of that and taking the lead after some bad Marciano corner marking. It looked very bad for us after they doubled their lead. A glimmer of hope after 23 minutes. Di Giacomo and Lauria press Foggia's goalkeeper whose clearance goes directly back to Di Giacomo. The 19 year old loanie didn't hesitate and tried his luck from 35 yards: GOAL for Melfi. The game was open again, but my guys couldn't turn the pressure on. Foggia should have increased their league, but wasted chances.

At halftime I had to substitute my go to guy Lauria and captain Cammarota due to minor injuries and we started badly. The game was boring and it seemed to end in the fashion. But the Melfi crowd (the stadium was almost sold out) awoke my guys just before the game ended. Di Giacomo (87', 93') and Lorusso (94') had big chances to secure a crucial point for us, but they didn't.

Now we have to beat Chieti in the last match to have a chance to advance to next round.

28.08.05 - 15:00 - Guido D'Ippolito, Lamezia Terme - Serie C2/C

Vigor Lemezia (Calabria) - Melfi 0:1 (0:0)

Dry 29°C

Attendance: 1422

Referee: Sergio Ranghetti

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - Patarini - Cuomo - Avolio

Selvaggi - Rodio - Cammarota © - Gravante

Di Giacomo - Lauria

Goal:

0:1 Lauria (80')

MoM:

Michele Nicoletti (GK, Melfi, saved everything and often rescued the mistakes committed by his defenders)

This time we didn't have to travel to Italy's Eastern Coast, but the West. Really long overnight trip to Calabria where we faced Vigor Lemezia, who were slight favorites for the match. Lauria had the big chance to score for us after only one minute, but he didn't get his shot in. The rest of first half the Calabrians dominated but our goalkeeper ruined their chances. Sadly our playmaker Gravante went down with an injury and will be out up to one month.

During the break we made another substition bringing on Venturini for the exhausted Di Giacomo. The game became rather boring and it smelled like a draw. Substituting captain Cammarota with Esposito was a good move, and suddenly we started to create three quality chances. The hosts were tired and acted nervous, starting to remember that they didn't win any of their Serie C Cup matches. Their defender played a horrible pass which was intercepted by Lauria. Lauria didn't take any second chance and scored easily from a one on one situation. On two similar occasions after 83 and 88 minutes he didn't manage to decide the game. Vigor almost equalized after getting a number of corners in extra time, but Nicoletti kept calm rescuing the three points for Melfi

As foreseen we sold Beniamino Liberti to Serie C1 outfit Messese for 30.000 €. Didn't like this guy too much: decent potential, high wage and contract running out. Off you go just before the transferdeadline!

We sold together six players to relieve our wage budget a bit. At the end of august we are 16.000 €/year above it, when I came to Melfi we were 203.000 €/year above. So at least this problem is solved.

Now my young team has to show if it's capable to deal without some proven names. On the 1st 11 Federico Lauria and Michele Nicoletti are the only players with some experience, while veteran D'Angelo didn't break into the 1st team. All other players are 24 or younger.

19 year-old sweeper Marcello Fennino is sold for 1.000 € to non-leaguers Salò. He had talent, but on his position I have enough depth due those DMC's I have in abundance.

31.08.05 - 19:30 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C Cup Grp G

Melfi - Chieti (Serie C1/B, Abruzzo) 1:1 (0:1)

Dry 23°C

Attendance: 1020

Referee: Daniele Tombolini

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - Patarini - Cuomo - Avolio ©

Montano - Rodio - Esposito - Gaeta

Roberto - Lauria

Goals:

0:1 (35')

1:1 La Porta (80' - direct freekick)

MoM:

Nazazio Pignotti (DL, Chieti, rock solid in defense)

This was our make or break game in the Serie C Cup. Only a win would give us a realistic chance to advance. But it was our opponents from the higher league who started like if they had to overcome a four goal deficit. They had seven shots on my goal within the first 15 minutes. Anyway had my striker Francesco Roberto to give us the lead after 16 minutes, but he couldn't score. The rest of the 1st half was more open, but Chieti took the deserved lead after a mistake by Luigi Cuomo.

I tried to solve something from the match by replacing playmaker Carmine Gaeta by Luigi Gaetano, who made his Melfi debut. Roberto was close to goal twice, but we still didn't pressure Chieti enough. This should change after La Porta and Di Giacomo entered the match after 71 minutes. La Porta scored by a direct free kick and the last ten minutes were pure Melfi domination. Sadly none of our good chances lead to another goal. Arrividerci Serie C Cup, now we can focus on the league.

BAN (SF) - Fritsche furious over Serie C Cup groups

After crashing out of Serie C Cup group stage Melfi manager Andreas Fritsche was furious IFF's (Italian Football Federation) placement of groups. Melfi had to play three teams from higher league Serie C1, while other groups consisted only of Serie C2 teams.

Fritsche hinted that he believes the Fossies (local mafia of Foggia which won the Serie C Cup group easily) bribed IFF to place Foggia in an easy group.

Melfi has only a hypothetic chance to go to next round if Chieti loses its last group match with at least four goals.

07.09.05 - 19:30 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C

Melfi 6th - Andria Bat 5th (Puglia) 1:1 (1:1)

Dry 24°C

Attendance: 1241

Referee: Piero Bacci

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - D'Angelo - Cuomo - Avolio

Selvaggi - La Porta - Cammarota © - Gaetano

Lauria - Di Giacomo

Goals:

0:1 (4')

1:1 La Porta (27' - penalty)

MoM:

Antonio La Porta (ML, Melfi, scored our goal and being a constand threat until he went off injured in the 76th minute)

Match against promotion contenders Andria who were playing in Serie C1 last season. Andria are also a team not that far from Melfi, only 80 km's East towards the coast.

The visitors started in style and took the lead through a 25 yard strike. Anyway the game didn't became a fiasko and we were creating quality chances with Cammarota having the best one. Replacement playmaker Luigi Gaetano was pushed by a Andria defender and the linesman signalled penalty, which La Porta converted in style. Lauria had another good chance before halftime.

The second half was an open affair where both teams had the chance to win the game. Altogether

the draw was a fair result and I was happy to see my guys could compete with a promotion contender

Red hot La Porta is out up to two weeks and I'm running out of creative midfielders.

Elsewhere: Holland - Andorra 11:0

Strange Serie C Cup. As one of the five best fourth placed teams Melfi qualified for the "Qualifying Round of the Serie C Cup". AS newcomers to Serie C2 nobody at the club has any idea about the rules of this mysterious cup. We are drawn against Serie C1/B outfit Acireale.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | Q | Foggia | | 4 | 3 | 1 | 0 | 5 | 2 | +3 | 10 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | Q | Chieti | | 4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 6 | 4 | +2 | 7 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 3rd | Q | Giulianova | | 4 | 2 | 0 | 2 | 5 | 3 | +2 | 6 |

| 4th | Q | Melfi | | 4 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 6 | -2 | 4 |

| 5th | | Pro Vasto | | 4 | 0 | 1 | 3 | 0 | 5 | -5 | 1 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanel:

Your finally ending the summer! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, game doesn't go so quickly when you are writing a story. But it's nice, because you play much "deeper" this way.

11.09.05 - 15:00 - Marco Lorenzon, Rende - Serie C2/C

Rende 8th (Calabria) - Melfi 3rd 0:2 (0:0)

Dry 33°C

Attendance: 512

Referee: Nicolò Calò

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - Patarini - Cuomo - Avolio ©

Selvaggi - Doumbia - Esposito - Gaeta

Lauria - Roberto

Goals:

0:1 Lauria (54')

0:2 Lauria (91')

MoM:

Federico Lauria (ST, Melfi, three shots = two goals; enough said)

Another long train (and bus - as Rende has no station) station down to Calabria; over nine hours altogether. But we have good Calabria memories, when you think back to our coup at Vigor Lamezia.

Anyway my guys played as they were still in the nighttrain during first half, and Melfi was even worse. One shot for them, two for me - none even close to be dangerous.

In second half the hosts started to become more offensive, which lead to two very good chances. Also in the 54th they started a drive that looked promising, but left midfielder Doumbia intercepted the ball and hit a wonderful pass to Lauria who got free of any defenders. Goal for Melfi. The hosts responded angrily and turned the pressure on. Even if we made two substitutions the situation didn't change. After around 85 minutes Rende were tired and we got another big chance through Doumbia. In extra time we hit them on a break and Lauria - his 5th goal of the season - converted a Cammarota deflection. Having played one game more than most others Melfi leads the league sensationally with seven points.

18.09.05 - 15:00 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C

Melfi 3rd - Viterbo 1st (Latium) 1:1 (0:0)

Dry 24°C

Attendance: 1541

Referee: Massimiliano Sirchia

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - Patarini - Cuomo - D'Angelo

Selvaggi - Doumbia - Esposito - Cammarota ©

Lauria - Di Giacomo

Goals:

0:1 (50')

1:1 Cammarota (79')

MoM:

Raffaele Pianese (ST, Viterbo, goalscorer for the guests)

We welcomed the league leaders to our Basilicata mountains. Even if we are currently 3rd, everything else than a clear Viterbo win would be a big surprise considering their squad.

The guests started in fashion and pushed as back from the very beginning. My defense showed unfamiliar weaknesses especially on both flanks, where I had to replace Avolie with D'Angelo while 18 year old Marciano on DL was very nervous. Viterbo had three very good chances in the first 45 minutes without making the goal. They had the ball 60 % and we hardly managed to cross the midfield line.

The 2nd half didn't bring any change and we were very lucky when Cuomo was not shown a red card after bringing down Pianese as last man. Pianese took revenge by scoring from the following free kick. We started to become a bit more offensive and using the flanks more after the goal, but our first chance shouldn't come before the 70th minute. Nine minutes later we scored the surprising equalizer: Cuomo hit a lovely freekick which is saved by the Viterbo goalie. Cammarota scores on the rebound. In the 90th minute Cuomo has even the chance to win the game for us but couldn't connect after a corner. Altogether a lucky point for us and a very Melfi friendly referee. Four games, eight points; four points clear of the relegation playoff!

Grazie Mille icon_smile.gif I always liked playing in the lower leagues, but this is my first ever story. I guess things can't continue so well as now, but maybe Melfi has some hidden magic, because in real life they also do shockingly well.

25.09.05 - 15:00 - Comunale Antonio Bianco, Gallipoli - Serie C2/C

Gallipoli 7th (Puglia) - Melfi 2nd 2:1 (1:1)

Dry 22°C

Attendance: 768

Referee: Giovanni Calzolari

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Fumagalli - Montano - Cuomo - D'Angelo

Selvaggi - Doumbia - La Porta - Cammarota ©

Lauria - Roberto

Goals:

1:0 (10')

1:1 Cuomo (37')

2:1 (65' - penalty)

MoM:

Michele Tommaso Lanzillota (M LC, Gallipoli, scored both goals for the hosts)

Full of optimism we started our five hour long train journey to Lecce from where we took the bus to one of the oldest towns in Italy Gallipoli (founded as Kallipolis by Greek colonists in the 7th century BC). Gallipoli was as we promoted to Serie C2 and therefore we hoped having a fair chance to run away with at least a point. In addition some newspapers had us suddenly "promotion contenders" which was maybe not a very realistic judgement. I was also confident because Avolio and La Porta were back in the squad after injury.

While I selected La Porta from the start, I gave veteran D'Angelo a last chance he is better than young Avolio. Fumagalli made his first start as left defender. Gallipoli started well and already scored on its second chance after a big defensive blunder by us. They had control in a rather boring game after their goal. Anyway my defender Cuomo did exactly what I told him before the game, challenge the goalkeeper at corners and take your chance. He equalized after 37 minutes.

Once again D'Angelo did badly so he was substituted with Avolio after 52 minutes. Anyway it was a lousy second half, especially after I had to substitute La Porta due to exhaustion. Gallipoli created many chances and actually converted a questionable penalty to win the game.

So our first Serie C2 defeat came in our fifth game. No disaster but I hoped we would do better against a mediocre team. I hope we finally can win at home next weekend to make this wasted Sunday forgotten.

02.10.05 - 15:00 - Sant'Abruzzese, Melfi - Serie C2/C

Melfi 8th - Vittoria 11th (Sicilia) 0:1 (0:0)

Dry 20°C

Attendance: 1405

Referee: Stefano Liberti

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Fumagalli - Patarini - Cuomo - Avolio

Selvaggi - Doumbia - La Porta - Cammarota ©

Lauria - Venturini

Goal:

0:1 (60')

MoM:

Mauro Bergna (DC, Vittoria, dominating midfielder)

Today we welcomed Vittoria from Sicily to our mountains. Somehow we hoped the 18 hour train and ferry trip would tire them. And things looks really promising when Venturini broke through their defense right from the whistle. The rest of first half was again lousy and the visitors dominated. Even if Patarini and Avolio were back in defense Vittoria had many chances to take the lead. Another problem area is creative midfield where Cammarota is simply not able to replace Gravante who played great during the start of season. We were very lucky to keep a goalless draw after 45 minutes.

I tried to encourage my men who seemed to be tired and lethargic. But it didn't helped and the deciding goal came after Doumbia lost the ball in midfield, my goalkeeper came out too slowly and the Vittoria attacker did a nice job to score. In the remaining 30 minutes we came never close to equalize, not even getting a shot on target in the whole game.

After six game we are 9th which is rather good. But the two last games made me worried. We are not able to replace even two key members when they are out with injury.

15.10.05 - 16:00 - Flaminio, Rome - Serie C2/C

Cisco Roma 6th (Latium) - Melfi 9th 1:2 (1:0)

Dry 18°C

Attendance: 736

Referee: Piero Bacci

Melfi (4-4-2)

Nicoletti

Marciano - Fumagalli - Cuomo - Avolio ©

Rodio - La Porta - Esposito - Gravante

Lauria - Roberto

Goals:

1:0 (2')

1:1 Lauria (47')

1:2 Roberto (87')

MoM:

Francesco Roberto (ST, Melfi, decided the game for us even if he was injured)

After two lousy games I decided to rent a train for our fans to make the road game against Cisco a home match. Thankfully I recently made some nice profits with my Fjord Seafood stocks, so I could afford the 5.000 € for Trenitalia easily. For the first time in history one of the high speed Euro Star trains stopped in Melfi and it was filled with Melfi maniacs to the last seat.

Anyway my squad wasn't allowed to celebrate with the fans as they did lousy recently and had to focus on the Cisco game by watching tapes from the two last defeats during the five hour train ride.

Cisco plays their games in the nice Flumini stadium, but sadly there were hardly any fans who showed up. So the game became a fiesta in yellow and green and Cisco representatives were more than surprised when they saw our hordes arrive.

Again I made some chances: Marciano was back at DL, while Fumagalli played DC for the first time. Selvaggi who did well so for got some rest at DMC and was replaces by Rodio. Gravante got another chance at AMC, while La Porta replaced Doumbia at ML. Roberto got another start alongside Lauria up front.

But oh well, it was all in vain. Cisco had a great chance right after kick-off and only 60 seconds later they took the lead. My playmaked Gravante played a lovely pass towards the opposite (!) striker who scored easily from 25 yards as our goalkeeper was not at all prepared for such an interception. Once again we as well as our fans in the stands were in shock and it was only our goalkeeper Nicoletti who kept us in the game. Cisco wasted at least half a dozen chances before the whistle, while we only managed two half chances.

During the break I got rather angry for the first time this season. Gravante was benched for Doumbia, who took over left midfield, while La Porta was our new playmaker. Finally my guys seemed to understand what I mean and looked like a new team after the break. Doumbia got the ball on the left side, crossed to Roberto whose header was saved superbly, but magic Lauria scored on the rebound. He scored 6 out of 11 Melfi goals this season. After 59 minutes we had another chance through Esposito, but it went wide by inches. Then it was the Nicoletti show again, who saved three good Cisco chances in only seven minutes. The hosts eventually scored an offside goal after 79 minutes. The last ten minutes were like a thriller. Both teams had chances to win the game, but Roberto was the unlikely hero. Signalizing an injury he was about to get substituted, but his superb heading ability made him a gamewinner when he converted another Doumbia cross. The last seven minutes we switched to a 5-4-1 which was enough to secure the four points.

Our fans were in absolute ecstacy turning Flaminio in a Sant'Abruzzese at Rome. I called Trenitalia to tell them that the train should be postponed until late in the evening. Even Chairman Guiseppe Maglione was hyper and invited team and fans to Trastevere to have a proper celebration in the capital. We didn't leave it before 2 o'clock in the morning.

Archived