Tactic Tweaking – The what, where, when and how!!!!

Guest Kristianhnohr
Hi Cleon. Firstly, thanks for spending so much time posting your findings on tactics. Much appreciated. As I've only found out this place existed recently - I've been living in pretty much blissful tactical ignorance.

I only usually have one set tactic which I use for every game and this has been really successful for me - I understand (I think!) most of the reasons behind tweaking - why and how you should do it - but have never found that my original tactic needs much changing in the first place (unless something goes drastically wrong i.e. a sending off). Anyway, I guess my convoluted point is that I have never noticed that I am need of several different tactics (especially for home and away games). Is this just sheer dumb luck or should I live on with my one tactic if it is working?

Apologies if this does not make a lot of sense.

Cheers.

Of course you can stick to your own ideas if you are winning. If you win you are doing something right. But I think you could gain more fun from the gaming experience if you read some of theese posts and developed a more in-depth approach to the game....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Cleon pal

I have found what you have said in this forum most useful mate...i tend t olook at what has happened in the first 10-15 mins and then adjust accordungly for the tempo, attacking, passing etc. (this is correct right??)...but this does not neccasrily mean success as you have to continually adjust if you find that things are still not going right by half-time.

Anyway Just 2 questions for ya my good man if you will:

1.What adjustments do you tend to make when the opponent is continually coming at you and you know that a goal is imminent...do you maybe take forward runs off and play with a little less attacking mentality or do you try to out--attack them and go the other way and increase attcking mentality, tempo etc....i haven't seemed to crack this aspect yet.

2.What tweak would you suggest if at the half-way stage you are losing 1-0 (Away) but have had plenty of inaccurate shots...my gut instinct would be to increase the tempo as you NEED to score but then surely this will likely lead to MORE inaccurate shots??

Cheers mate

• 2 months later...

I've a very good tactic, but...

How to play against team playing a possession football etc?

Even if i'm a top team, and they sucks, i have real problem to win that kinds of game. I win some, and lose some... And if they are top class, or my class - I'm 100% certain, that I'll lose.

I'm playing attacking, fast, direct, width, with CA and DL deep (5). If i can i use target man. Both home and away, div and Europe. Works great... if i don't play against such a team...

!st of all would just like to say what a gret read this thread has been and CLEON i just love reading your comments your speak so much sence and its a joy 2 read!

I have a few questions i would like to ask and if anyone can help me out id be so greatful. Here we go

1. I read scout reports b4 i go into a game but when it says they play a quick tempo i never no how 2 counter it do u go slow and short passing or quick and direct would really like to hear people's opinions on this. I forgot to mention im playing a 4-3-3 with 3 centre mids and 2 wide wingers.

2. As i jst mentioned i play a 4-3-3 but i never no how to set up the width and closeing down i tend to have 1 mid on rarely closing down to hold his position in the middle also i really want to get my wingers more involved to creating better opotunitys but just dont no how.

If anyone could help me out or just piont me in the right direction here id be so greatful

many thanks guys

• 1 month later...

I have noticed that increasing width while maintaining tempo and passing creates extra space and provides room for my attackers with the ball. I also keep passing and tempo locked together, but when looking for a goal, just widening up a notch or two may make all the difference. Of course, if I start losing pass completion WITHOUT attacking chances, I adjust it back again and look at another option.

• 1 year later...

Archived