What affects "Tracking Back"?

Just something I was wondering about while sitting at work (it's xmas eve, there's nothing to do, but we're expected to be here). What affects how deep a player will drop back from his position when the oppostion have the ball?

I'd guess mentality would be a major factor, but are other things relavent? Closing down perhaps?

Tracking back may also depend on individual players attributes for instance, players with more determination, teamwork and work rate when your team loses possesion of the ball they will be more inclided to track back and help out with defensive duties. Saying this though mentatlity and creative freedom are also going to be big factors.

PS: I'm in same situation as you, no work to do but expected to be here....just want to be home on FM09.

Foward runs as if a player is bombing forward and you lose the ball your player is out of position. if your opponents play direct then and quick he wont be able to track back in time

Oh I know that FWR puts them out of position, but does it affect the maximum distance the player will go backwards, assuming he has the time?

What I really want to know is what the equivalent for closing down is, but in the opposite direction.

Oh I know that FWR puts them out of position, but does it affect the maximum distance the player will go backwards, assuming he has the time?

What I really want to know is what the equivalent for closing down is, but in the opposite direction.

Surely his teamwork.

Higgins, I agree with you, teamwork, workrate and determination attributes are going to affect tracking back. As in real life it's no wonder Gerrard for Liverpool gets back, tackles and wins the ball back more than the likes of Pennant. Gerrard has far more teamwork, workrate and determination in his personal attributes. Same could be said for Kuyt.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far that will be HUGELY important in this, is what setting you have for your defensive line - if it's low, then the players (defenders) will track back further back (to the position of the D-Line), and then start their closing down from that point. Midfielders - their (effective D-Line) will be further up the pitch than the Defenders so they will start harrying the opposition higher up the pitch. Ditto forwards.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far that will be HUGELY important in this, is what setting you have for your defensive line - if it's low, then the players (defenders) will track back further back (to the position of the D-Line), and then start their closing down from that point. Midfielders - their (effective D-Line) will be further up the pitch than the Defenders so they will start harrying the opposition higher up the pitch. Ditto forwards.

Yes, but defender will track back more if the d-line is much lower than their own mentality.

Archived