Central Defenders allowing lots of goals from poor marking through the back line

Anyone else seeing a LOT of goals given up by CD's not picking up or properly marking strikers playing off the shoulder of the defense with through balls or short passes near the box?  It's frankly incredible how poor the marking is and how many goal they allow doing this kind of thing.

Could you post a screenshot of your tactic and of the players committing the mistakes ? It sounds like the exact type of problem that's been around for years and is often solvable through looking at the problem in context. 

3 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

Anyone else seeing a LOT of goals given up by CD's not picking up or properly marking strikers playing off the shoulder of the defense with through balls or short passes near the box?  It's frankly incredible how poor the marking is and how many goal they allow doing this kind of thing.

It helps to use traps and proactive role switches to deal with Positional Play if you're getting played through too easily. Could look at your width as well? Just going narrow reduces gaps between players and makes it harder to be played through. 

I agree with @DeepThought's sentiments here...it's likely the attributes on your centerbacks may be at fault. Strong mental attributes are important in the defensive unit. 

I am seeing it a lot with my Palermo team. Quite often the defending can be just fine for 85 minutes in the game but then I tend to get hit by big errors. But then on the other hand I don't see my team doing that against the AI which means that it is likely down to my own tactical errors and the lack of quality in players. My best centre-back is not doing too badly but the ones with Serie B and C current ability are quite error-prone. 

35 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

I am seeing it a lot with my Palermo team. Quite often the defending can be just fine for 85 minutes in the game but then I tend to get hit by big errors. But then on the other hand I don't see my team doing that against the AI which means that it is likely down to my own tactical errors and the lack of quality in players. My best centre-back is not doing too badly but the ones with Serie B and C current ability are quite error-prone. 

Could be poor concentration?

2 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Could be poor concentration?

That is one of the attributes but I have also noticed in replays that this is often down to one or two if the centre-backs being dragged out of position which can leave huge gaps. Also another common scenario are these falling asleep situations which are probable caused by low concentration. Obviously it is a bit difficult to say as I don't use a skin that shows the attributes. 

Just should be more reactive to things but watching games in full doesn't sound appealing as this game already is quite time consuming. :)

18 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

That is one of the attributes but I have also noticed in replays that this is often down to one or two if the centre-backs being dragged out of position which can leave huge gaps. Also another common scenario are these falling asleep situations which are probable caused by low concentration. Obviously it is a bit difficult to say as I don't use a skin that shows the attributes. 

Just should be more reactive to things but watching games in full doesn't sound appealing as this game already is quite time consuming. :)

Hm that does sound tricky to diagnosis then. Mistakes late on I would attribute frequently to concentration, as for switching off concentration/anticipation are two to look at. 

If you're using a Stopper/Cover combo I find that can have fralities in a defensive low/midblock approach. For a back 4 I generally prefer two defend duty center back roles to help prevent having them pulled out of position. You could also look at the fatigue of players? Conceding late on can be attributed to a lack of rotation as well (that one you can see, add "match load, fatigue, injury risk" to your selection view).

Once you've finished with your save you might try removing the skin to see what attributes the players actually had in a retrospective analysis to pinpoint where things were going wrong. 

Edited by Cloud9

29 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Hm that does sound tricky to diagnosis then. Mistakes late on I would attribute frequently to concentration, as for switching off concentration/anticipation are two to look at. 

If you're using a Stopper/Cover combo I find that can have fralities in a defensive low/midblock approach. For a back 4 I generally prefer two defend duty center back roles to help prevent having them pulled out of position. You could also look at the fatigue of players? Conceding late on can be attributed to a lack of rotation as well (that one you can see, add "match load, fatigue, injury risk" to your selection view).

Once you've finished with your save you might try removing the skin to see what attributes the players actually had in a retrospective analysis to pinpoint where things were going wrong. 

If you are interested in giving me some insights, feel free to check my career update thread:

Obviously I am not stuck into any style of play but I think the latest tactic is quite close to what I have been using for most of the season so far.