Team joining league at wrong time.

Ok, this is a weird one. I have expanded the Canadian Premier League to go from 8 to 10 teams in 2024, and from 10 to 12 teams in 2025. However, in 2023, Vancouver are replaced by Windsor who aren't even registered until 2024:

image.png.0b8738da4749838a0c9251b6d69db23f.png

Vancouver don't actually join until 2025. What am I doing wrong? I haven't even touched Vancouver and they are in the database from the start.

Posted (edited)

I have tried a couple of different things, and I can get it to work correctly for the first season (2023) with the original 8 CPL teams. However, for the 2024 season, Vancouver again get replaced by an expansion side that are due to join in 2025. I can't see why it is always Vancouver that get replaced.

I also had to register the original 8 teams for 2023 in order to prevent any of them from being replaced.

image.png.a36daa8f285ebbb674a2f91db8761d16.png

Edited by EnigMattic1

Do Vancouver have a higher unique ID, or perhaps lower rep than Windsor? The game is likely just filling the final spot however it can, in that case it might even be the team order from the bottom up

Just go into "teams" for the second year and add an entry at the top to "ignore" Windsor. Relying on "registered teams" is not necessary in the vast majority of cases and takes away some of the error messages that help figure out what's wrong.

I think the MLS expansion is hard-coded if you're trying to replicate it, unless anyone has figured out the wizardry behind "next division", but is only good for the second season anyway

12 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Do Vancouver have a higher unique ID, or perhaps lower rep than Windsor? The game is likely just filling the final spot however it can, in that case it might even be the team order from the bottom up

Just go into "teams" for the second year and add an entry at the top to "ignore" Windsor. Relying on "registered teams" is not necessary in the vast majority of cases and takes away some of the error messages that help figure out what's wrong.

I think the MLS expansion is hard-coded if you're trying to replicate it, unless anyone has figured out the wizardry behind "next division", but is only good for the second season anyway

I'm not trying to replicate the MLS expansion, I've done this with the CPL in previous versions of FM but this season, it just won't work (so far). 

Yes, Vancouver have a higher UID. I will try that fix and see if it makes any difference. What I did notice is, when I registered Vancouver for 2023, it replaced Ottawa with Windsor.

I even went as far as registering every team for every year, but then, even when telling the league to pick "all teams registered for comp and year", I got an error in 2025 about not finding rules for a league with 16 teams when there is only 12 there. 

1 hour ago, themodelcitizen said:

Sounds like you have 16 set somewhere, but yeah it would be easier to follow if you kept most of this stuff in one thread. Anyway "ignore teams" does exactly what it says

I got it sorted now. I took what you said about the UIDs, remade Windsor, Kelowna and Bridge City to give them higher IDs than Vancouver and, with a bit of tweaking in the registered teams tab, it now works how it should.