Tactical help for my Welsh Cardiff

Hi everybody,

I really love "ethnical challenges" in FM. To sign players of any specific country, region or whatsoever is my fuel to carry out long-term saves. This year I decided to face a new challenge: a completely Welsh Cardiff City. I do not want to bore you with the details, but this is my third season, my squad have been significantly improved... and the results have gone in the opposite direction.

I'm asking for help to reset the team. I started playing with a sort of Dyche's style that II've used in previous saves, but it stopped working during the second season and I wasn't capable of solving it. I got (miraculously) saved from relegation and tried a new way (a sort of classic counter-attack football) that doesn't work at all.

My issues are very simple: I don't score even if the opponent has no keeper and my defense is not pretty solid (not a mess, but if I conceed a goal it's over). It may be a logical issue in my first season, but my current squad is not bad at all: Rodon, Brooks, Brennan, Wilson, Mepham...

I have included a few captures of my current style and squad. Hope anyone figures out how to make a decent performance. I don't really mind style or specific tactics, just need a bit of help sorting this squad out and getting the most out of it.

Thanks!!

Capturadepantalla2024-03-21175558.thumb.png.1ee1f8af97c1e74f6621e93b83d89689.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-21175606.thumb.png.83e320643d43f17bb83686bc75e50a31.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-21175620.thumb.png.abb397707031782c117faa5d64342690.pngCapturadepantalla2024-03-21175613.thumb.png.9e768ed1873c38a60ceb2e6de4251ab8.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-21175739.thumb.png.29d193e8d5cee98b2424c4e6884e17c1.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-21175759.thumb.png.623ec39546afe2e7fb1ade57518f593a.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-21175454.thumb.png.60ed800065b96a2f601429a551c5c3a0.png

Edited by Micho21

• Micho21 changed the title to Tactical help for my Welsh Cardiff
1 hour ago, Micho21 said:

I have included a few captures of my current style and squad. Hope anyone figures out how to make a decent performance. I don't really mind style or specific tactics, just need a bit of help sorting this squad out and getting the most out of it.

So there are a lot of issues here but I'll try to keep it concise to the major problems:

• Lack of goal threat. You've got a lowblock and running a TF(s) w/an AP behind him. Drop the AP for a spearheading striker to partner with the TF. First thing you need to do in a tactic is figuring out how you will score goals. 
    • This will improve your defence as well, the threat of the spearheading forward running in behind the opposition backline will prevent them walking up the entire pitch. This pushback is a key component of any countering attacking approach.
  • Drop your pivot back, you're trapping outside and the deeper positioning will help deal with crosses. Drop the IW if you're going to continue utilizing that trap.
  • Wide + Counter Press makes you easy to play through.
  • Trim excess TIs, keep it simple.

Finally the biggest contributor to your form will be the Morale + Squad Rotation issue which are front and center. Get those morale up to Superb and start rotating the squad.. 

Edited by Cloud9

hace 1 hora, Cloud9 dijo:

So there are a lot of issues here but I'll try to keep it concise to the major problems:

• Lack of goal threat. You've got a lowblock and running a TF(s) w/an AP behind him. Drop the AP for a spearheading striker to partner with the TF. First thing you need to do in a tactic is figuring out how you will score goals. 
    • This will improve your defence as well, the threat of the spearheading forward running in behind the opposition backline will prevent them walking up the entire pitch. This pushback is a key component of any countering attacking approach.
  • Drop your pivot back, you're trapping outside and the deeper positioning will help deal with crosses. Drop the IW if you're going to continue utilizing that trap.
  • Wide + Counter Press makes you easy to play through.
  • Trim excess TIs, keep it simple.

Finally the biggest contributor to your form will be the Morale + Squad Rotation issue which are front and center. Get those morale up to Superb and start rotating the squad.. 

Thank you for your help!

I need to clarify some questions as I missed in the first post:

- 4411 is mi last variation, only for a few matches. I've used to play with a 442 with a TF (Moore) and a F9 (Brooks). I am not reluctant to return, but this worked as bad as current 4411.

- I agree with you that the morale is the big issue. But my subs are quite worse than the starters, and I cannot solve with new signings. Morale is a strong factor enough to lead a change from Brennan Johnson to Isaak Davies?

Anyway, I will return to the 442, drop back the midfield and set a wider offensive line. Thanks, hope it works!

vor 47 Minuten schrieb Micho21:

4411 is mi last variation, only for a few matches. I've used to play with a 442 with a TF (Moore) and a F9 (Brooks). I am not reluctant to return, but this worked as bad as current 4411.

- I agree with you that the morale is the big issue. But my subs are quite worse than the starters, and I cannot solve with new signings. Morale is a strong factor enough to lead a change from Brennan Johnson to Isaak Davies?

Well @Cloud9 already pointed at the most obvious issues. He did a great job helping me with similar difficulties. You can check it out in „need help with a 433“. My team changed from a relegation into a promotion candidate. Especially the latest postings cover squad rotation which has been tremendous helpful.

apart from that help: 

- counter-press needs the players close together. The point is to win the ball back instantly or press the opponent into a mistake. If you try that with like two players and the distances (wide) are huge, you won’t succeed. Instead your players will always be late and the opponent can play through you easily. If you want to do that, you‘ll need many players close together.

- if you want to play on the counter with a 442 or 4411 I’d drop counter press. 
- a F9 will drop deep, the TF will mainly stay where he is, he won‘t move much. That’s not working with fast counterattacks. You‘ll need fast players who are ready to break through and sit in dangerous positions, like an AF, a W(A) or an IW(A)

- show us the players who (1) shall score the goals (2) provide assists check for passing or crossing and (3) support transitions into attack.

- in FM24 you‘ll need to pull of a system which is providing what you need. You need to place the players on the pitch where you need them. When the you play in a mid or low block, you have players who are defending. You need a lot of players behind the ball, you don’t want them chasing too much. Your defence should be thick and crowded. To pull of a counter attack, you‘ll need to win the ball (where?), you‘ll need players waiting for that pass into space (which?) and you‘ll need one or two players to make the pass or cross. 
- a good shape for a counterattacking system could be a 4231 or a 442 both with a DM double pivot, or a 4411 with MC or DM double pivot. 
ah and most importantly: drop all those TIs and start with something simple. 
Morale is an issue too: I did address it with friendliest against lower opposition. Praise training, praise conduct. 

Edited by HanziZoloman

hace 20 minutos, HanziZoloman dijo:

Well @Cloud9 already pointed at the most obvious issues. He did a great job helping me with similar difficulties. You can check it out in „need help with a 433“. My team changed from a relegation into a promotion candidate. Especially the latest postings cover squad rotation which has been tremendous helpful.

apart from that help: 

- counter-press needs the players close together. The point is to win the ball back instantly or press the opponent into a mistake. If you try that with like two players and the distances (wide) are huge, you won’t succeed. Instead your players will always be late and the opponent can play through you easily. If you want to do that, you‘ll need many players close together.

- if you want to play on the counter with a 442 or 4411 I’d drop counter press. 
- a F9 will drop deep, the TF will mainly stay where he is, he won‘t move much. That’s not working with fast counterattacks. You‘ll need fast players who are ready to break through and sit in dangerous positions, like an AF, a W(A) or an IW(A)

- show us the players who (1) shall score the goals (2) provide assists check for passing or crossing and (3) support transitions into attack.

- in FM24 you‘ll need to pull of a system which is providing what you need. You need to place the players on the pitch where you need them. When the you play in a mid or low block, you have players who are defending. You need a lot of players behind the ball, you don’t want them chasing too much. Your defence should be thick and crowded. To pull of a counter attack, you‘ll need to win the ball (where?), you‘ll need players waiting for that pass into space (which?) and you‘ll need one or two players to make the pass or cross. 
- a good shape for a counterattacking system could be a 4231 or a 442 both with a DM double pivot, or a 4411 with MC or DM double pivot. 
ah and most importantly: drop all those TIs and start with something simple. 
Morale is an issue too: I did address it with friendliest against lower opposition. Praise training, praise conduct. 

Thank you! I'll take a look on your topic.

The last season goals were scored by Moore (12), Wilson (8), Bale (5), Rodon (5), James (4) and Brooks (4). In terms of assists, Wilson (14) was pretty ahead of any other. The system combined crossing to Moore (as TF) from the left with a very effective IW such as Wilson on the right, which also permitted Stevens (RB, 4 assists) to get into attack. Set pieces were pretty effective (Joe Rodon scored 5 goals) and low-block was more or less consistent (I conceed a lot of goals, but Danny Ward has a few words to say). It was simple and somewhat effective, but a bad run of results drop everything down and I couldn't find the key to fix it. I've signed Brennan to promote a change in the system (IW, less relevance of crossings...), and I even thought on change to a 343 Conte style that I've already used in previous saves,.... but that would mean to sit one of my best players on the bench.... and I don't believe I can afford that.

I will try your advices and simplify the system. Friendlies are also a good idea, but most of my players have international matches and it is difficult to find a date. Anyway, if you have any other suggestion, I don't mind at all to completely change the system if it is more coherent with my squad.

Thanks again!

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Micho21:

The last season goals were scored by Moore (12), Wilson (8), Bale (5), Rodon (5), James (4) and Brooks (4). In terms of assists, Wilson (14) was pretty ahead of any other. The system combined crossing to Moore (as TF) from the left with a very effective IW such as Wilson on the right, which also permitted Stevens (RB, 4 assists) to get into attack.

Hi thanks for the notes, would you show us the attributes of the named players?

- do you have a big player who can pass the ball and has vision?

You have a lot of instructions that contradict each other.
- Would not play a low block with Counter Press.
- Work ball into box seems like a waste in a counter attacking system with TF.
- Frequently waste time should be used situationally imo and doesn't makes sense to use with distribute quickly.

When designing a tactic I would think about what style you want to play and base you're instructions on that

Posted (edited)
hace 7 horas, HanziZoloman dijo:

Hi thanks for the notes, would you show us the attributes of the named players?

- do you have a big player who can pass the ball and has vision?

Of course, here are some.

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120418-min.thumb.png.8e4bb1bb8fb68448ecb1c51fc2ea15cb.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120503-min.thumb.png.5c80ed4f502682b743141e7c187e0fcb.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120443-min.thumb.png.26da92b04931e92d3e5c08e697d14ad5.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120426-min.thumb.png.dc7d7e7031d6d26bdffb2d42326b4bea.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120535-min.thumb.png.9d0cc819f19e0a9570a2a1e2d146e7a0.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120544-min.thumb.png.2a7b5ba93ab833479ccb8dcf4cf55ac8.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120453-min.thumb.png.04e2e98dee56f8ffdffa292e8f0f04b0.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120519-min.thumb.png.b5554efbbb02797774bbc3ea29350cd8.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120553-min.thumb.png.e09b5fba794f5d50386ec031849b57f5.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120510-min.thumb.png.f642299e52a4b8550e2f7a880b8bf5c5.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22120606-min.thumb.png.b9a6088de6b3fb8d7f0ed180496f550e.png

- I don't think so. It could be Gareth Bale, but his attributes have been substantially worsened the last months. And Moore is the only tall forward apart from Bale, the rest are hobbits.

I have also attached a picture of the most used tactic, especially during the last season. Yesterday, I quickly took some pictures on my current tactic, but it wasn't used for more than two or three matches. This one was the most used during the last season, with a reasonable degree of success (avoiding relegation in PL three rounds before ending is a good result with this squad). I even won about 7 matches in a row, but the team fell apart from March onwards. Those are the most used players, but I've also played with Bale as a left winger or even as a striker (in this case, Wilson-Brooks were on the wings).

Capturadepantalla2024-03-22103807.thumb.png.276a1ebfdef23e9fe60586ed228d0152.png

Edited by Micho21

@Micho21 ah shot it’s all Spanish which is not my language. But what are the following attributes in English (?)

Vision, Passing, Crossing, tackling, Marking, First Touch, Dribbling

Bravery, Decision, Work Rate, Teamwork, Vision, Off the ball, Positioning

Pace, Strength, Stamina, Agility, Balance

then I‘ll dig into your players. 

hace 6 minutos, HanziZoloman dijo:

@Micho21 ah shot it’s all Spanish which is not my language. But what are the following attributes in English (?)

Vision, Passing, Crossing, tackling, Marking, First Touch, Dribbling

Bravery, Decision, Work Rate, Teamwork, Vision, Off the ball, Positioning

Pace, Strength, Stamina, Agility, Balance

then I‘ll dig into your players. 

Oh sorry, my bad, I've changed the language to the tactics but not for the players. I've reuploaded it in the previous post.

Hi @Micho21 Your team has potential for sure. You have crazy Acceleration and pace down the wings, which I would use. 

I’d try a 4231 with Wingers and a mid block.

Something like:

WB(D) CB(D) BPD(D) WB(S) in Defense.

DM(S)  HB(D) 

W(A) AMC(S/A) W(S/A)

AF

Now what you will see is like the BPD goes forward and the HB drops deep. The HB will then trigger Counter Attacks with a WB(S) and a W(A) on his side (pass into space to further support that kind of play and a mid block. Just imagine your fast WB (Stevens) and the crazy fast James on this side (more direct passing). Vaulks could do the HB role. You can fill in the other players. Johnson the AF and Brooks as the AMC(S/A). Bale could be a sub for the AMC role with shot more often PI.

But (!) Check out squad rotation as I said because it’s a huge difference. My players are relegation candidates, they are really not good especially the squad players. 

Also note: Your vulnerability lies on the wings. You build up then in a box 2-2 (CB and DM). The opponent will try to exploit that with Wingers on attack. You can counter that with OI put the opposing Wingers on the wrong food and tackle them hard.  You can also trap inside (TI) and tackle hard (OI)

Edited by HanziZoloman

20 hours ago, Micho21 said:

I would just boost morale through chatting to them individually. 

I like the 4-2-4 you posted! I think that could work really well with the player's you have. I would recommend going double WB(d) in this formation and direct passing/higher tempo to quickly transition. You could keep a lowblock for this approach, it's about soaking up pressure with the backline/DM's and then bursting forward on the break (which suits the best player's in your squad I think). 

Brooks is an excellent profile (nice to see him back in football after his medical issues :)to lead the line as an AF for you, but he will struggle to do it alone w/out an jumping reach. A striker pairing is a good go to in any struggling side and the TF will benefit especially from your use of wingers. If Moore got 14 goals for you last season, I wouldn't drop him. He will also provide a knock down option to the AF running in behind.

Dan James is a player you can get a lot out of with his pace, but you'll want to only play him on the right hand side. He can't pass and he can't make a good decision so you want to make his job as one dimensional as possible. Run at the opposition and knock the ball past them. W(a) on the right hand side will do that nicely for the boy. 

• Add "likes to round the goalkeeper" for some additional end product from him. 

You can then play Brennan Johnson as an off footed Winger coming from the left hand side, where his more well balanced (link up play, mentals, end product)  profile can be put to better use. Put your Target Forward(s) off the left hand side and the AF on the right for better combos in attack.

As for the double pivot, drop them back to the DM strata. DLP(s) + BWM (d) is a sturdy combo. DM(s) + DM(s) (one hold position) is another solid option for a responsible pivot.

I think that would get the majority of your really talented player's onto the field? Since the wide player's are quite quick on transition I'd try leaving the width slider in the middle of the bar and seeing how it goes from there. That gives you a frontline that will make the opposition anxious to step up against due to their pace and the open space they're running into. 

I utilized this approach w/the double WB(d) occasionally in a 4-3-3 when going extremely direct but I think a 4-2-4 would actually play more to it's strengths. You'll be able to keep your trap outside approach with this as well. 

The 4-2-3-1 @HanziZoloman mentions is another good option, especially if you want to play a more progressive style! I would consider waiting for a quick (and competently tall) spearheading forward first (PF, AF, P) who can do the jobs of the AF + TF in one before attempting to move to a solo striker in a counter attack.  

19 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

This is a key point to your frontline working :thup:

Edited by Cloud9

Counter attack was never my strong point, but now I'm learning a lot. Thank you both very much!!

hace 3 horas, HanziZoloman dijo:

Hi @Micho21 Your team has potential for sure. You have crazy Acceleration and pace down the wings, which I would use. 

I’d try a 4231 with Wingers and a mid block.

Something like:

WB(D) CB(D) BPD(D) WB(S) in Defense.

DM(S)  HB(D) 

W(A) AMC(S/A) W(S/A)

AF

Now what you will see is like the BPD goes forward and the HB drops deep. The HB will then trigger Counter Attacks with a WB(S) and a W(A) on his side (pass into space to further support that kind of play and a mid block. Just imagine your fast WB (Stevens) and the crazy fast James on this side (more direct passing). Vaulks could do the HB role. You can fill in the other players. Johnson the AF and Brooks as the AMC(S/A). Bale could be a sub for the AMC role with shot more often PI.

But (!) Check out squad rotation as I said because it’s a huge difference. My players are relegation candidates, they are really not good especially the squad players. 

Also note: Your vulnerability lies on the wings. You build up then in a box 2-2 (CB and DM). The opponent will try to exploit that with Wingers on attack. You can counter that with OI put the opposing Wingers on the wrong food and tackle them hard.  You can also trap inside (TI) and tackle hard (OI)

I'm trying to built something like that. I am a bit aware about the TI, as I'm used to force the opposition outside and crowd the midfield to suffocate the game. But I'll give it a try, each tactic has his own tricks.

hace 1 hora, Cloud9 dijo:

I would just boost morale through chatting to them individually. 

I like the 4-2-4 you posted! I think that could work really well with the player's you have. I would recommend going double WB(d) in this formation and direct passing/higher tempo to quickly transition. You could keep a lowblock for this approach, it's about soaking up pressure with the backline/DM's and then bursting forward on the break (which suits the best player's in your squad I think). 

Brooks is an excellent profile (nice to see him back in football after his medical issues :)to lead the line as an AF for you, but he will struggle to do it alone w/out an jumping reach. A striker pairing is a good go to in any struggling side and the TF will benefit especially from your use of wingers. If Moore got 14 goals for you last season, I wouldn't drop him. He will also provide a knock down option to the AF running in behind.

Dan James is a player you can get a lot out of with his pace, but you'll want to only play him on the right hand side. He can't pass and he can't make a good decision so you want to make his job as one dimensional as possible. Run at the opposition and knock the ball past them. W(a) on the right hand side will do that nicely for the boy. 

• Add "likes to round the goalkeeper" for some additional end product from him. 

You can then play Brennan Johnson as an off footed Winger coming from the left hand side, where his more well balanced (link up play, mentals, end product)  profile can be put to better use. Put your Target Forward(s) off the left hand side and the AF on the right for better combos in attack.

As for the double pivot, drop them back to the DM strata. DLP(s) + BWM (d) is a sturdy combo. DM(s) + DM(s) (one hold position) is another solid option for a responsible pivot.

I think that would get the majority of your really talented player's onto the field? Since the wide player's are quite quick on transition I'd try leaving the width slider in the middle of the bar and seeing how it goes from there. That gives you a frontline that will make the opposition anxious to step up against due to their pace and the open space they're running into. 

I utilized this approach w/the double WB(d) occasionally in a 4-3-3 when going extremely direct but I think a 4-2-4 would actually play more to it's strengths. You'll be able to keep your trap outside approach with this as well. 

The 4-2-3-1 @HanziZoloman mentions is another good option, especially if you want to play a more progressive style! I would consider waiting for a quick (and competently tall) spearheading forward first (PF, AF, P) who can do the jobs of the AF + TF in one before attempting to move to a solo striker in a counter attack.  

This is a key point to your frontline working :thup:

My 424 was not bad at all, but it completely fell apart and neither the manager nor the players believe in it :D

Many thanks for your time, it's a great analysis. James is a mess in such a few thinks, but he's really good stirring up the hornet's nest, he may be useful in this system. Brennan and Brooks can also be benefit in that way, Brooks as an AF is something that I never thought of but it fits perfectly!

I've modified my old 424 with your ideas and let's see what happens. I will train this and @HanziZoloman 4231 and let's see how they mould to the squad.

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Micho21:

Counter attack was never my strong point, but now I'm learning a lot. Thank you both very much!!

I'm trying to built something like that. I am a bit aware about the TI, as I'm used to force the opposition outside and crowd the midfield to suffocate the game. But I'll give it a try, each tactic has his own tricks.

My 424 was not bad at all, but it completely fell apart and neither the manager nor the players believe in it :D

Many thanks for your time, it's a great analysis. James is a mess in such a few thinks, but he's really good stirring up the hornet's nest, he may be useful in this system. Brennan and Brooks can also be benefit in that way, Brooks as an AF is something that I never thought of but it fits perfectly!

I've modified my old 424 with your ideas and let's see what happens. I will train this and @HanziZoloman 4231 and let's see how they mould to the squad.

I‘d suggest to follow @Cloud9 424 first because he helped a lot in developing my team. Just follow his advice and report back, he‘ll walk you through. 
The 4231 could be an option when the opponent doesn’t play with a DM and it’s a bit more challenging, especially when you’re in desperate need of stability. But it also could be an option if want Bale to score from long shots.
you got very talented team there is definitely more possible.

- Talk to your players a lot. Praise all training above 7.5 criticise all training 6.5 and below. Same with match ratings. Praise conduct of your most influential players.

- do friendlies against lower teams with all squad players who are not on international duty. That helped me. 

2 hours ago, Micho21 said:

I really like a PF(a) for a counter attacking, spearheading solo 9 as he participates out of possession as well as threatening to run in behind. Here's my striker progression from my own save where I've been running counter attacking football the entire time:

Hopefully this provides some visual context for what to look for in a striker for your counter attack. I'm a visual learner anyways so seeing things always helps me a lot. You can do all this with an AF/P profile instead of a PF in a counter, but imo whenever I'm executing a block having the 9 participate in the defensive shape does a lot to staying defensively resolute/executing my traps efficiently.

Striker pairing I used early on my save as an AF/TF combo in a 4-4-2. Windass lacks height which Smith providence in abundance for a direct ball option.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_49_42PM.thumb.png.e94237d7391d1a21f0ec35cf032fcdde.png

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_56_00PM.thumb.png.c86f8d6d0d38fb3993a1c6ef8c0d37de.png

Here's the academy kid who led the line as I switched from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 (note height, PF profile, quickness, anticipation, off the ball):

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_45_59PM.thumb.png.2b4a0603ed14e09182cd6deb5086f5ad.png

Here is the first real striker I brought in as a more reliable upgrade to lead the line (more pace, off the ball). 10 teamwork is not great here.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_51_05PM.thumb.png.c689c1e73d2c8d92e3b799508449688d.png

And finally in my 5th season in charge (we've just qualified for the Champions league after Europa League success) I've splashed the cash on a 59m release clause for this guy:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_54_45PM.thumb.png.b91dcf36a19b05c7b1ed225c84955acd.png

His off the ball is a little low which is concerning actually but he's got incredible pace and the attribute distribution (height especially) I covered earlier. The personality (+big matches/consistency) is an important note as he's responsible for performing as our main goal threat whenever we step on the pitch. Since players mentals develop as they age I should be able to get off the ball up to a better level on him.

A "complete" 9 offers a constant threat that should make opponents afraid of you when they're in possession of the ball. If you can find a reliable one they can be fantastic but it's lot to ask of one player. A striker pairing (like Smith/Windass) can compensate for the other's deficiencies and ensure you're getting a significant goal return. 

Edited by Cloud9

Thank you again @HanziZoloman and @Cloud9!!

En 22/3/2024 a las 20:04, Cloud9 dijo:

I really like a PF(a) for a counter attacking, spearheading solo 9 as he participates out of possession as well as threatening to run in behind. Here's my striker progression from my own save where I've been running counter attacking football the entire time:

Hopefully this provides some visual context for what to look for in a striker for your counter attack. I'm a visual learner anyways so seeing things always helps me a lot. You can do all this with an AF/P profile instead of a PF in a counter, but imo whenever I'm executing a block having the 9 participate in the defensive shape does a lot to staying defensively resolute/executing my traps efficiently.

Striker pairing I used early on my save as an AF/TF combo in a 4-4-2. Windass lacks height which Smith providence in abundance for a direct ball option.

Revelar contenido oculto

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_49_42PM.thumb.png.e94237d7391d1a21f0ec35cf032fcdde.png

Revelar contenido oculto

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_56_00PM.thumb.png.c86f8d6d0d38fb3993a1c6ef8c0d37de.png

Here's the academy kid who led the line as I switched from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 (note height, PF profile, quickness, anticipation, off the ball):

Revelar contenido oculto

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_45_59PM.thumb.png.2b4a0603ed14e09182cd6deb5086f5ad.png

Here is the first real striker I brought in as a more reliable upgrade to lead the line (more pace, off the ball). 10 teamwork is not great here.

Revelar contenido oculto

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_51_05PM.thumb.png.c689c1e73d2c8d92e3b799508449688d.png

And finally in my 5th season in charge (we've just qualified for the Champions league after Europa League success) I've splashed the cash on a 59m release clause for this guy:

Revelar contenido oculto

Screenshot2024-03-22at12_54_45PM.thumb.png.b91dcf36a19b05c7b1ed225c84955acd.png

His off the ball is a little low which is concerning actually but he's got incredible pace and the attribute distribution (height especially) I covered earlier. The personality (+big matches/consistency) is an important note as he's responsible for performing as our main goal threat whenever we step on the pitch. Since players mentals develop as they age I should be able to get off the ball up to a better level on him.

A "complete" 9 offers a constant threat that should make opponents afraid of you when they're in possession of the ball. If you can find a reliable one they can be fantastic but it's lot to ask of one player. A striker pairing (like Smith/Windass) can compensate for the other's deficiencies and ensure you're getting a significant goal return. 

Got it! I'll try to use PF(TF (Brennan and Moore probably) and see if they combine well (BTW you got very impressive results with these players).

4 hours ago, Micho21 said:

Thank you again @HanziZoloman and @Cloud9!!

Got it! I'll try to use PF(TF (Brennan and Moore probably) and see if they combine well (BTW you got very impressive results with these players).

Sick, hope it goes well :thup: A good strike partnership can get a lot done for you.

Only piece I'd mention is that Brennan's aggression is pretty low, which might be deal breaking as a PF. He will do excellently as an AF though (asking him to just focus on running in behind will play to his strengths and he'll get out a few more goals for you). You can never go too wrong with an AF, but I've been trying to avoid them as sometimes they can feel too strong. I would probably hold off on the PF until you can find a better profile for the role. 

I know Wilson doesn't have AML on his positions but he's definitely a good option to stick out on the left as a standard winger throwing bombs onto the top of Kieffer's head, Not sure how he'd play though. On the opposite side side You've got James to do the same with Johnson as a PF. I believe you also have the likes of Matondo and Brooks for backup till some crazy good regens come through.

Alternatively a 4-2-3-1 with 2 CM, IF or IW on both Sides, AP behind big Kieffer with more direct passing and more crossing.

Us Welsh don't have an embarrassment of riches, but they have guts and determination by the bucketload (Normally). I've never done an all Welsh squad from the get go, Only ever tried it after a good few seasons into the game as the youth that is coming through right now (in game) isn't the greatest.

I feel inspired now to do an all Welsh club! 

Posted (edited)

Many thanks again @Cloud9 I'm at work but I'll try to update later the results and effects of the tactic.

@kopfan1977  of course, you know the Welsh players inside out (guess it's not a good day for talking about them, I feel sorry!). I've tried to put Wilson at the left and it kinda works, but it has a lot of goal and I preferred to keep him on the right. Matondo and especially Brooks have been a big disappointment, as well as Brennan, but the latter I believe it is mostly my fault. I'll show you my current full squad later if I have time.

I encourage you to carry out a Welsh save, it is tough but somewhat rewarding when you kill a Big Six team. I've made some changes to make it a bit funnier: the game started with Cardiff City in PL (instead of Luton) with exactly the same budget than Luton but without any Welsh players. I've also changed the contract signing date  of some players to a year earlier, so they can consider coming (it wouldn't be possible to sign some players without that).

Edited by Micho21