Milan's 2005-2006 Tactic Question/Request for FM 2024

39 minutes ago, baskor said:

Can anyone send me please 2005-2006 A.C. Milan Ancelotti's tactic for FM 2024? Thank you in advance

I do not, but here is a photo of the great man you could use if you put together a tactical replication! The forum could help you out I'm sure :) 

image.png.8ef193383a3d0e009d064b0d3e37fe0b.png

I think he deployed a narrow 4-4-2 diamond at Milan? The formation struggles in the modern game w/the rise of the 4-3-3, I think Sarri was the last prominent manager to deploy such a system (although he has floundered a bit over recent years).

Edited by Cloud9

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

I do not, but here is a photo of the great man you could use if you put together a tactical replication! The forum could help you out I'm sure :) 

image.png.8ef193383a3d0e009d064b0d3e37fe0b.png

I think he deployed a narrow 4-4-2 diamond at Milan? The formation struggles in the modern game w/the rise of the 4-3-3, I think Sarri was the last prominent manager to deploy such a system (although he has floundered a bit over recent years).

A lot of teams have used it in the odd scenario. Funnily enough it can be a bit of a counter to possession heavy 433s that like to build through the middle. Ajax under Ten Hag used it a fair bit in the CL and I think pretty much everyone in the PL used it against Brighton after their strong start to this season. They've won something like 5 in 22 since.

More teams doing positional play type things makes it a bit less appealing as a plan A though. I would say that, to my eye, Liverpool with the Salah/Mane/Firmino 3 were basically playing a diamond all the time, although I've yet to meet anyone who really agrees with me on that one!

it was a 442 that transformed into a 442 diamond I think I did a post about it let me see but if not theres a video where Ancelotti talked about how he did it against Manchester United

Is it possible to replicate it ? Sadly not really since FM has not brought the movement of RM to RCM in offense or the reverse hence why replicating teams that defend in 442 but attack in 4-1-2-1-2 is hard to do.

But If I remember correctly the defensive shape was like this:

image.png.2bee273bb77f913966396ea271229f80.png

and offensively it woud look like this:

image.png.7e95a42892654d4ac558e81ad542e88f.png

17 hours ago, paracoolo said:

Is it possible to replicate it ? Sadly not really since FM has not brought the movement of RM to RCM in offense or the reverse hence why replicating teams that defend in 442 but attack in 4-1-2-1-2 is hard to do.

A DW on Defend with Sit Narrower might actually fit the bill if you put Cafu as a CWB on Attack behind him

During Ancelotti's time at Milan they usually switched between a 4-4-2 diamond, a 4-3-1-2 with Sheva and Inzaghi up top or the famous "Christmas Tree" formation which had effectively two number 10's.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested to replicate Milan from the 05-06 season?

I highly recommend you listen to or read Carlo's biography "Quiet Leadership". He talks in depth about his time at Milan and goes into how he tried to fit Pirlo, Kaká, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Seedorf and Rui Costa into the starting XI. I also recommend the Athletic's Football Tactics Podcast with Michael Cox. In this episode they talk about the Christmas Tree formation: 

It is important to note that these formations and systems were developed by Ancelotti more out of necessity due to the players he had rather than some tactical ideology like Total Football or Gegenpressing. 

In 05-06 they mostly used the 4-3-1-2 because Berlusconi infamously wanted him to use 2 strikers and a number 10. According to Transfermarkt, Milan used the 4-3-1-2 exclusively that season and here is an example of their starting eleven:

image.png.e1ab9024b18ba8c9171504b55d27f893.png

The team was less system based and focused mainly on getting all these players onto the pitch together without losing to much defensive balance. His teams usually lacked attacking width and played narrow, however the elite fullbacks of Cafu, Serginho, Jankulovski and Oddo provided some additional width in the attacking phase. This TIFO video details the the way they played: 

They are referring to the  4-3-2-1 here, but many of the same principles still apply. Here is a quick draft for a 4-3-1-2 tactic using this formation and their style of play:

image.png.c1324a7542e6d73001d7c86864a236a5.png

This tactic requires excellent attacking fullbacks as we as deep-lying midfield orchestrator in the Pirlo role. 

I love tactical recreations and let me know how this goes!

Edited by AceCream

I just finished my first season with AC Milan looking to replicate these tactics. @AceCream is correct in that "these formations and systems were developed by Ancelotti more out of necessity due to the players he had rather than some tactical ideology like Total Football or Gegenpressing. "

I've attempted to purchase players that I believe to have similar styles of play to those that played in these Milan sides. I'll also adjust my roles depending on who is playing there - for example, Immobile would be a Poacher like Inzaghi while Giroud would be a Deep Lying Forward on Attack like Gilardino

I probably used the diamond more then I did the christmas tree formation

image.thumb.png.46a635c7c8d388d7e8845d8ef8737cc2.png

image.png.4fc990bd27baf86eeced83bae73d100d.png

@paracoolo is correct in that they defended in a 442 and attacked in a 4321.

image.png.10fb0807404c9821b49c866c0fa72f81.png

Resources

Tactics Explained: AC Milan's 2007 Champions League Winning Team (youtube.com)

Rio Ferdinand's Between The Lines | Champions League triumph and heartache ft. Carlo Ancelotti (youtube.com)

Christmas Tree Formation? A Tactical Analysis of Carlo Ancelotti's AC Milan 2006/ 2007 Team (youtube.com)

Ancelotti outsmarts Sir Alex: Tactical analysis of 'La Partita Perfetta' against Man Utd (sempremilan.com)

Excited to hear everyone's thoughts as it's my first post! :)

@CitytilIdie excellent work! I really enjoy asymmetric or staggered formations like your 4-4-2.

Also interesting recruitment with the aged elite Italians in Verratti and Immobile. Wasn't it hard to offer Verratti wages? It feels very old school 90s Milan under Sacchi with the Dutch influence in Gravenberch. What is your experience in using Wide Playmakers? 

On 16/03/2024 at 02:58, CitytilIdie said:

I just finished my first season with AC Milan looking to replicate these tactics. @AceCream is correct in that "these formations and systems were developed by Ancelotti more out of necessity due to the players he had rather than some tactical ideology like Total Football or Gegenpressing. "

I've attempted to purchase players that I believe to have similar styles of play to those that played in these Milan sides. I'll also adjust my roles depending on who is playing there - for example, Immobile would be a Poacher like Inzaghi while Giroud would be a Deep Lying Forward on Attack like Gilardino

Resources

Rio Ferdinand's Between The Lines | Champions League triumph and heartache ft. Carlo Ancelotti (youtube.com)

Christmas Tree Formation? A Tactical Analysis of Carlo Ancelotti's AC Milan 2006/ 2007 Team (youtube.com)

Ancelotti outsmarts Sir Alex: Tactical analysis of 'La Partita Perfetta' against Man Utd (sempremilan.com)

I would argue that Kaka was more of a AM-AT than SS-AT SS-At is more like Nkunku,Rooney( early 2000s after that its more AM-AT), Havertz ( Leverkusen)

and I'd add ( dribble more , roam from position , take more risks )  

But with the rest of the tactic I agree. I'd add" More direct passes " For pirlo

but yes Ancelotti is a manager that adapts with his player. If he sees that his squad has a great playmaker he'll play around it if he doesnt see that he always adapts depending on the team

On 16/03/2024 at 02:58, CitytilIdie said:

Resources

I would also love to know how does the shape translate in the game? Like does it play like a 4-1-2-1-2( or 4312) when the team has the ball?