How to get the best out of Player Instructions?

So as the title says.

I have been watching some videos on YouTube in regards to this subject and i see very little about it with a depth that is enough to understand player instructions.

One thought i do have though is that I'm thinking they should only be used on a player if it suits his ability or his stats. 

What advice do you all have for player instructions? Is less better than more for instance?

I like telling players to do more of things they are good at. PIs that match PPMs make everyone happy. PIs that conflict with PPMs are silly. So, I recruit players who are good at doing things I want from them then train them to do those things better. I use very few TIs. 

PIs increase the likelihood that an individual will perform a certain action within the bigger picture (Team Instructions). As @NineCloudNine stated above, if you want a player to perform a certain action, the way to guarantee he does this more frequently is via the player traits method. However, saying that I gave previously had successes when adding a PI to improve a players output in that chosen area of the game. 

Don't forget mentality will also impact the bigger picture as this is also a impacts players actions, with the more cautious approaches taking a risk aversive approach.

It’s not a case of more/less is better. To me it’s a tool that’s more about refining details of your tactics and team instructions, subtler tactical adjustments on game by game basis, and also to customise a role to the players you have. 

Edited by backpocket

Adding to the others replies, you need to create the conditions on the field for the player to execute that instruction.

For instance: Dribble More.

That PI says to player that he needs to carry the ball more. But you put him in a position that he receives the ball coming deep. He wont have many opportunities to dribble, right? Hes back getting the ball, then he turns, then he starts to move.

If you put "short pass" and "higher tempo" as TI, by the time he turns and finally can dribble, he have to pass the ball.

So context matter.

Think like that: When the player need to execute that instruction?

What is he doing now that prevents that instruction to work?

Another example. Lets say you instruct your CM to Shoot Less.

However, your team plays on Attack and you arent being able to get in the box.

Eventually, your CM gets the ball at Zone 14, the opposition well set up at defense, your team not being able to penetrate inside the box. He will shoot.

If your "problem" is cronic, then you will see him shooting the ball 5 times per game and will have the impression that he shoots all the time, but the problem is that this action its the only one he can take.