"Work Ball Into Box" working a tad too much (at least visually)

I've noticed that when I use "Work Ball Into Box" I recurrently see players which receive the ball close to the six yard box pass it back to the midfield, even when closer options inside the penalty area already exist (not to mention they could just attempt to shoot at goal). I see this happening when they have their backs against the net.

I don't think this type of behaviour is realistic and I never see it occur in actual football matches, where in such a situation the player will just attempt to either rotate and shoot at goal, or short pass to a colleague.

Is it the match engine being overly careful, "working the ball" even after it's already inside the box? Is it just a visual representation? If it's the latter I would still prefer a better visual representation more in line with what we're likely to observe in actual football.

Edited by AntSou

I get the opposite, I have work the ball into the box instructions and low crosses but my players just seem to float crosses over to the back post all the time. This wasn't a problem in Beta and on launch as play did go into the box and we scored a lot from low crosses played back to people around the 6 yard line but since the first major patch its just a load of floated crosses.