ROLES DESCRIPTION

Could we expect to have more literal descriptions of roles, instead of current, unclear, abstract descriptions before FMM25?

I mean like in original FM, where we can see that role A shoots more than pass, and B pass more than shoot, or role C more likely to pass than cross and D more likely to cross than pass, or role E more likely to dribble while F more likely to run into space to receive through balls... And so on, you name it.

Or better, could we expect to have detailed personal instructions, instead of more general, team based ones?

Edited by Blancos

• SI Staff

I mean like in original FM, where we can see that role A shoots more than pass, and B pass more than shoot, or role C more likely to pass than cross and D more likely to cross than pass, or role E more likely to dribble while F more likely to run into space to receive through balls... And so on, you name it.

I tend to try and avoid this sort of 'clear cut' explanation because that isn't precisely how the game works - but I'll have a think about potentially adding a little more explanation along these lines in a future version.

PS - Personal instructions aren't likely to come back in a hurry because imho they are far more complicated than selecting a role and we're trying to keep things relatively simple, I might 'however' allow people to setup some 'customised' roles where they setup specific instructions and then assign them to it ... that would be a long-term thing however (ie. probably not next version of the game, but perhaps the one after that .. would that be something you'd be interested in as a compromise?).

12 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

I tend to try and avoid this sort of 'clear cut' explanation because that isn't precisely how the game works - but I'll have a think about potentially adding a little more explanation along these lines in a future version.

I understood what you're trying to do. "Clear cut" descriptions could feel so inhumane, overly mathematics. But I also think that mobile players need much better "manual" to operate your "factory presets" properly and more precisely.

we're trying to keep things relatively simple, I might 'however' allow people to setup some 'customised' roles where they setup specific instructions and then assign them to it ... that would be a long-term thing however (ie. probably not next version of the game, but perhaps the one after that .. would that be something you'd be interested in as a compromise?).

You mean, customizations similar to what we had in Sliders era, where some people can choose to use simplified "presets" (roles/instructions/etc) if that's what they'd like, while some others can use the more precise, but more complicated "sliders"?

• SI Staff
10 hours ago, Blancos said:

I understood what you're trying to do. "Clear cut" descriptions could feel so inhumane, overly mathematics. But I also think that mobile players need much better "manual" to operate your "factory presets" properly and more precisely.

Yeah the reason I try and avoid that is that not everything in the game works through simple settings because some of the roles are quite complicated (ie. not everything is a pre-set slider position, something involve bespoke AI for the role/position in question).
So as a word of warning the potential 'customizable roles' mentioned below might be slightly more restrictive/less flexible in nature than those we provide within the game normally and obviously those custom roles wouldn't also be easily used by the AI.

10 hours ago, Blancos said:

You mean, customizations similar to what we had in Sliders era, where some people can choose to use simplified "presets" (roles/instructions/etc) if that's what they'd like, while some others can use the more precise, but more complicated "sliders"?

Yeah pretty much but packaged in a way where people could share roles they'd made and people who want to play a simple game can just use the pre-given roles without worrying about minutae (and do please understand this will be a long-term thing, ie. please don't expect it for a while, probably a couple of versions away).

30 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Yeah the reason I try and avoid that is that not everything in the game works through simple settings because some of the roles are quite complicated (ie. not everything is a pre-set slider position, something involve bespoke AI for the role/position in question).
So as a word of warning the potential 'customizable roles' mentioned below might be slightly more restrictive/less flexible in nature than those we provide within the game normally and obviously those custom roles wouldn't also be easily used by the AI.

Yeah pretty much but packaged in a way where people could share roles they'd made and people who want to play a simple game can just use the pre-given roles without worrying about minutae (and do please understand this will be a long-term thing, ie. please don't expect it for a while, probably a couple of versions away).

Ah I see... I can understand the reasonings.

In the end, all I need may not more than just clearer ways to "translate" what I have in mind, into correct sets of notches and options. I'm sorry, but I think the current descriptions of settings are just not cut it. Maybe I'm just being too spoiled with numerous ways to learn the "language" in PC version I've played years ago, so anything in mobile version feels inadequate. Sorry for that 😄.

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, Blancos said:

Ah I see... I can understand the reasonings.

In the end, all I need may not more than just clearer ways to "translate" what I have in mind, into correct sets of notches and options. I'm sorry, but I think the current descriptions of settings are just not cut it. Maybe I'm just being too spoiled with numerous ways to learn the "language" in PC version I've played years ago, so anything in mobile version feels inadequate. Sorry for that 😄.

That's perfectly fine to say and I realize that our descriptions and 'blurbs' in the main are much abbreviated over the PC games equivalents ... just to explain why:
* FMM does scale somewhat depending onn the device size, but even on larger devices we avoid small text because it can be hard on peoples eyes on a small screen (and also remember 20% of the population has sub 20-20 eyesight which is quite a large proportion).
* The game is intended to be played at a faster and more casual pace than the PC game, so some text (notably news items) is left shorter and punchier so people can whiz through it quickly without slowing down their gameplay experience.

That's perfectly fine to say and I realize that our descriptions and 'blurbs' in the main are much abbreviated over the PC games equivalents ... just to explain why:
* FMM does scale somewhat depending onn the device size, but even on larger devices we avoid small text because it can be hard on peoples eyes on a small screen (and also remember 20% of the population has sub 20-20 eyesight which is quite a large proportion).
* The game is intended to be played at a faster and more casual pace than the PC game, so some text (notably news items) is left shorter and punchier so people can whiz through it quickly without slowing down their gameplay experience.

I'm perfectly fine with letters, fonts, sizes literally 👍. It's the content of descriptions in every role or tactic settings etc that I need to be more concrete.