Canada Naming Cups

alian62

Hi

I have nearly finished my Canada file and have done some research ( As i am not from Canada ) 

I have basically turned Canada into and Eastern and Western Conference modelled on the USA format . The USa format has rivalry league to which i have implemented but i am a bit stuck on what to name these leagues .

As an example Portland , Seattle and Vancouver play in the Cascadia Cup in the USA which uses the results from the main league which are transfered to the Cascadia Cup .

So these are the names and teams i have at present

St Lawrence Cup ----- ----------De Quebec , Atletico Ottowa , FC Laval                                                ( 2 from Quebec and 1 from Ontario )

Buffalo Cup ---------------------- Calgary Colts , Cavalry FC , Edmonton 1795 , Regal FC                      (  3 from Alberta and 1 from Saskatchwen )

Golden Horseshoe Cup ----- Forge FC , FC London , York United , Windsor FC                                ( All from lower Ontario )

West Coast Cup ---------------- Vancouver FC , Victoria FC , Kelowna FC , Pacific FC , TSS Rovers     ( All from British Columbia )

Via Rail Classic ----------------- Valour FC , Halifax FC                                                                                ( 1 from Manitoba and 1 from Nova Scotia )

So 18 teams in 2 conferences of 9 teams with rivarly cups 

So looking for some good naming suggestions for those regions that would be great as i am not to familiar with Canadas economic areas etc 

Edited by alian62

Buffalo Cup could be something about the Prairies, or Western Canada, and include Manitoba clubs too. Edmonton and Calgary had the Wildrose Cup previously but that's because it's the Alberta provincial flower.

London in the Golden Horseshoe is a stretch, could be something about the 401 Corridor or Southern Ontario/Great Lakes. The West Coast one could just be BC-themed, or something about the Pacific/Strait of Georgia, but actually the Juan de Fuca Plate is awarded by fans right now and used to be a similar rivalry cup between TSS and Highlanders.

Ottawa-Ville de Québec corridor I don't know much about, there's gotta be a suitable French name though

10 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Buffalo Cup could be something about the Prairies, or Western Canada, and include Manitoba clubs too. Edmonton and Calgary had the Wildrose Cup previously but that's because it's the Alberta provincial flower.

London in the Golden Horseshoe is a stretch, could be something about the 401 Corridor or Southern Ontario/Great Lakes. The West Coast one could just be BC-themed, or something about the Pacific/Strait of Georgia, but actually the Juan de Fuca Plate is awarded by fans right now and used to be a similar rivalry cup between TSS and Highlanders.

Ottawa-Ville de Québec corridor I don't know much about, there's gotta be a suitable French name though

Thank you for replying . Forgot to mention though that each conference plays each other twice and only playes the other once . For this reason the teams do have to stay in there own conferences say like Valour who is from Manitoba otherwise they will only play the others once

If you sort by "average points" as the first tiebreaker it will actually use that before points. So when teams have played each other an uneven number of times they can be sorted by average points, although you may prefer not to. I managed to rescue the Cascadia Cup (inactive in the default rules) this way, some years one of the teams will play 2 more games than the other two, and this way they don't get the easy win

54 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

If you sort by "average points" as the first tiebreaker it will actually use that before points. So when teams have played each other an uneven number of times they can be sorted by average points, although you may prefer not to. I managed to rescue the Cascadia Cup (inactive in the default rules) this way, some years one of the teams will play 2 more games than the other two, and this way they don't get the easy win

Yes good idea thank you

3 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

That's brilliant. "Prairie" btw, it's very easy to make typos with that second i for some reason. Think prairie dogs. And have some prairie oysters while you're at it

Oops.