What to do with two very attacking players on the same side?

Playing a 442, and on the right side I have two very good attacking wings. One WB and one ML. They are both pacey, good crossers and dribblers, etc. What do people think are the best way to use these players together? I've always been told to balance things, so I currently have the midfielder on attack and the WB on support, but I'd love to get the WB up the field more with the ML taking a support role sometimes. Is there good way to do this in a game?

Train the midfielder to play on the other side as an inverted winger?

Or indeed train the WB to play on the other side as an Inverted WB, though that’s a more demanding change and is likely to require other tactical changes.

Edit: I may be confused by you describing a ML but referring to your right side…

Edited by NineCloudNine

I dunno... enjoy having a range of tools at your disposal and use them differently depending on the situation? Have the wb overlap when appropriate, have him support the winger at other times? Occasionally send them both forward and overload that side? Why do you need to play the same way throughout every match?

I’d definitely favour overloading that side, use one as IWs, get the WBA up with him and overload their full back. Use ur right cm on defense/hold position to give some cover and allow them two to run riot on the flank. 

2 hours ago, dazza11 said:

I’d definitely favour overloading that side, use one as IWs, get the WBA up with him and overload their full back. Use ur right cm on defense/hold position to give some cover and allow them two to run riot on the flank. 

That's an interesting idea. Would it be advisable to use both on attacking duties, or only one?

That would depend on how you set up the rest of the tactic, mentality etc but both on attack could work as long as ur mentality & out of possession instructions aren’t too aggressive 

If the ML is creative then playing both on attack with the ML as WP-a could work well, you would need a holding MCL though.  I've had good success with WB-a and WP-a on the same side in a 4-4-1-1 (central mids in the DM strata though)

What I've been doing, is just changing this on a game by game, or even half by half basis. I'll switch the IW to support and the WB to attack. My WB has progressed into a very good attacking player, so it's getting harder to not use him as such. But if the opponents winger is very dangerous, I have to leave the WB on support to make sure he defends more. Getting caught with him all the way up field has burned me now and then. 

On 17/01/2024 at 23:36, Bahnzo said:

I've always been told to balance things,

There are no rules, just guidelines.

That being said I'd just put them as WB(a) and IW(s) with overlap, mentality doesn't matter than much.