Hi folks.

Quick question about creating an offside trap. I know step up more / drop off was put in to replace this and I've always just ticked step up more by default in order to play offside. 

But now I'm wondering if that's right?

After all step up more condenses the space whereas real offside traps tend to hold the line. So would I be better playing a high defensive line, or even much higher, with nothing ticked?

Basically I'm trying to build an old school arsenal or current villa side offside trap and am not quite sure if I'm getting there. In fact what I see when I have step up more ticked is my defenders moving out of their positions to close down rather than holding a high line to catch players offside. 

HI! I'm answering based on what I've seen in the game and based on how much I know how offside works.
The defense line (which provides equal duties) moves forward with the ball exposed, i.e. when the opponent has the possibility to advance or pass forward, by adopting "step up more" your line will advance towards the midfield slightly, so as to putting the opponent offside.. the fact that he smashes towards the midfielders or midfielders is a consequence..
So your question is true, I answer yes, this is what I saw in game