Require 200 teams, found only 207?

Alexiocity

This has all been done on basic editor. I am currently running a project where I split the English leagues into 9 tiers, the final tier having 200 teams (49 normal, 151 Under-18 sides from the top tiers). When testing this on it's own, it works fine.

The next thing I did was then change the US system also, merging the database files before setting anything new up in order for the English competitions to show on that one before I create any new tournaments for the US.

Now when running a test (using both databases), the English leagues are now not showing due to the numbers not matches in Tier 9. I haven't amended any teams or divisions in England on this database, only USA & Canada. Does anyone know what's going on? The only thing I can think of is I moved the Welsh teams to Wales on the English database (the whole thing has a lot of teams qualifying for Continental competitions and I wanted them to take some of the available Welsh spots) but would have figured those changes would have carried over when merging the files?fmwhat.png.ba387b465978926d01a8b84a0892d154.png

Not entirely sure I understand why you merged the databases.

One thing that could cause this issue is when there are some rogue reserve teams created. Rogue as in, you might have missed that those teams have a reserve team as well.

Why did you merge the databases? You can run the game with multiple editor files selected, it doesn't all have to be in one.

Also, for the Welsh teams, unless you changed their Continental Cup Nation to Wales when moving them they won't be able to qualify for European competitions. Something people often forget to do.

49 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Why did you merge the databases? You can run the game with multiple editor files selected, it doesn't all have to be in one.

Also, for the Welsh teams, unless you changed their Continental Cup Nation to Wales when moving them they won't be able to qualify for European competitions. Something people often forget to do.

Oh...., could it be there are seven Welsh teams? So they are moved out of the competitions, but their reserve teams aren't?

36 minutes ago, Alexiocity said:

I only merged the files because I am creating new competitions in both and from previous experience that screws up one of them when not merged as the IDs are duplicated.

It doesn't. I'm using over 100 different files many of which have new competitions and there's no issue.

It might be an issue if you're using custom graphics for those competitions, but you could just edit those to match the new UIDs assigned when the competitions are generated.

36 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

It doesn't. I'm using over 100 different files many of which have new competitions and there's no issue.

It might be an issue if you're using custom graphics for those competitions, but you could just edit those to match the new UIDs assigned when the competitions are generated.

I also would want the Continental competitions to recognize the winners of the new competitions, would you not only be able to do that by merging the files?

16 minutes ago, Alexiocity said:

I also would want the Continental competitions to recognize the winners of the new competitions, would you not only be able to do that by merging the files?

You're making custom continental competitions too?

Most of the default continental competitions don't look for specific competitions, they just get the best x number of teams from a nation's top division and the main cup winners. North America is an exception, but that's it.

19 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

You're making custom continental competitions too?

Most of the default continental competitions don't look for specific competitions, they just get the best x number of teams from a nation's top division and the main cup winners. North America is an exception, but that's it.

I'm making 339 custom continental competitions haha. Basically one for every Olympic event, using teams from each country that made the final (for race events) or tournament (knockout events). I couldn't work out how to add more than 20 teams per country so I started doing a weird convoluted way where I amend each countries system and so the winners of each tournament would qualify.

For the more than 20 teams per country thing, I believe you said you can do it through Advanced on my previous post. What do you need to do for this as I am stumped (never really used advanced).

5 hours ago, Alexiocity said:

I'm making 339 custom continental competitions haha. Basically one for every Olympic event, using teams from each country that made the final (for race events) or tournament (knockout events). I couldn't work out how to add more than 20 teams per country so I started doing a weird convoluted way where I amend each countries system and so the winners of each tournament would qualify.

For the more than 20 teams per country thing, I believe you said you can do it through Advanced on my previous post. What do you need to do for this as I am stumped (never really used advanced).

Like this:

20240111131040_1.thumb.jpg.6ec9dcf5b1e6bdffabf5bc8b9c32ca36.jpg

Tell it to get teams from the 2nd division (or lower) as well, in this case Ligue 2, Serie B and the Challenger Pro League.

I've used a few extra options to fine tune things a bit there too. Ligue 1/2 are set as Seeding 0 with Max Number Of Teams With Seeding = 22. It guarantees 22 teams. You could not use the seedings and just set a max number of teams from each league (or no max to get them all), but I've done it specifically this way to account for Ligue 1 having either 18 or 20 teams. So it'll still get exactly 22 French teams regardless of how many are in Ligue 1.

Serie A/B is set up the same except with Seeding 1 so it's a second set of 22 teams. On FM23 I made a separate file to reduce Serie A to 18 teams after 2 seasons, so wanted to account for that in the same way here.

No seedings used for Belgium, just a basic get Max 18 teams from the Pro League then the Challenger League was set to Max Teams In Overall List = 64. That way it will take however many teams from Belgium's 2nd division it needs to get to 64 total in the tournament. It's the last instruction, so it will always go last after the others have been filled, but works as a back up. If any of the other instructions fail to get the intended team, this one will cover for them with extra Belgian 2nd div. teams to make up the numbers.

Here's a copy of the file in cas e you want to see how it works. I've done a bunch of continental competitions that use lower league teams. Got a Celtic Cup that takes the best teams from Cornwall and Brittany regardless of the division they're in. So yeah, no limit of 20 teams per country o r only being able to use top division teams!
m Coupe Napoleon.fmf

3 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Like this:

20240111131040_1.thumb.jpg.6ec9dcf5b1e6bdffabf5bc8b9c32ca36.jpg

Tell it to get teams from the 2nd division (or lower) as well, in this case Ligue 2, Serie B and the Challenger Pro League.

I've used a few extra options to fine tune things a bit there too. Ligue 1/2 are set as Seeding 0 with Max Number Of Teams With Seeding = 22. It guarantees 22 teams. You could not use the seedings and just set a max number of teams from each league (or no max to get them all), but I've done it specifically this way to account for Ligue 1 having either 18 or 20 teams. So it'll still get exactly 22 French teams regardless of how many are in Ligue 1.

Serie A/B is set up the same except with Seeding 1 so it's a second set of 22 teams. On FM23 I made a separate file to reduce Serie A to 18 teams after 2 seasons, so wanted to account for that in the same way here.

No seedings used for Belgium, just a basic get Max 18 teams from the Pro League then the Challenger League was set to Max Teams In Overall List = 64. That way it will take however many teams from Belgium's 2nd division it needs to get to 64 total in the tournament. It's the last instruction, so it will always go last after the others have been filled, but works as a back up. If any of the other instructions fail to get the intended team, this one will cover for them with extra Belgian 2nd div. teams to make up the numbers.

Here's a copy of the file in cas e you want to see how it works. I've done a bunch of continental competitions that use lower league teams. Got a Celtic Cup that takes the best teams from Cornwall and Brittany regardless of the division they're in. So yeah, no limit of 20 teams per country o r only being able to use top division teams!
m Coupe Napoleon.fmf

Thank you for this. If I set up multiple competitions will it still bring up different clubs for each one via this method or would I need to set them finishing in a specific position in the league?

3 hours ago, Alexiocity said:

Thank you for this. If I set up multiple competitions will it still bring up different clubs for each one via this method or would I need to set them finishing in a specific position in the league?

As in you want say 5 teams from div 1 and 6 from div 2 in competition A, then 4 from div 1 and 7 from div 2 in competition B etc. and for them to all be different teams?

That's possible. Firstly you'd want to put in sequential set up dates. So eg. Comp A sets up 10th July, Comp B 11th July, Comp C 12th July etc.

Then you want to add Get Beast Teams In Competition for all preceding competitions (has to be at the top of the above Qualified Teams list) and tick the Ignore Teams box, so Comp A won't have any, Comp B will have Get Best Teams in A, Comp C will have Get Beast Teams in A and B and so on. Doing that will ensure when picking teams from those competitions it will ignore all of those that are already in one of the previous competition, so each competition has different teams.

When adding these teams to a Stage in the competition, just use Get Qualified Teams on the Stage Teams page. Tick the Remove Qualified Teams box too so it knows they've been used,

53 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

As in you want say 5 teams from div 1 and 6 from div 2 in competition A, then 4 from div 1 and 7 from div 2 in competition B etc. and for them to all be different teams?

That's possible. Firstly you'd want to put in sequential set up dates. So eg. Comp A sets up 10th July, Comp B 11th July, Comp C 12th July etc.

Then you want to add Get Beast Teams In Competition for all preceding competitions (has to be at the top of the above Qualified Teams list) and tick the Ignore Teams box, so Comp A won't have any, Comp B will have Get Best Teams in A, Comp C will have Get Beast Teams in A and B and so on. Doing that will ensure when picking teams from those competitions it will ignore all of those that are already in one of the previous competition, so each competition has different teams.

When adding these teams to a Stage in the competition, just use Get Qualified Teams on the Stage Teams page. Tick the Remove Qualified Teams box too so it knows they've been used,

While this is also useful, I did mean multiple Continental Competitions. So, as an example, if I was to setup a Champions League and a Europa League doing this, would different clubs be picked for each or would I need to specify the league positions for the ones I need in each?

2 hours ago, Alexiocity said:

While this is also useful, I did mean multiple Continental Competitions. So, as an example, if I was to setup a Champions League and a Europa League doing this, would different clubs be picked for each or would I need to specify the league positions for the ones I need in each?

Them being continental competitions doesn't change anything. The example I gave above is a continental competition too.

You also can't really specify league positions, just tell it to get the best x teams sorted by league position. So if you told Comp A to get the best 6 teams sorted by last league position in the EPL and Comp B to ignore teams qualifed for Comp A and get the best 2 teams sorted by last league position in the EPL then 1st-6th would be in Comp A and 7th-8th would be in Comp B.

Edited by rusty217

31 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Them being continental competitions doesn't change anything. The example I gave above is a continental competition too.

You also can't really specify league positions, just tell it to get the best x teams sorted by league position. So if you told Comp A to get the best 6 teams sorted by last league position in the EPL and Comp B to ignore teams qualifed for Comp A and get the best 2 teams sorted by last league position in the EPL then 1st-6th would be in Comp A and 7th-8th would be in Comp B.

Ah awesome! I'll give it a go, fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, rusty217 said:

This is going to seem like an obvious question, but how would one do this? I've look but I can't see which would be the way to do it? Also, how do you make it show under the Continents competitions and not the countries?

Apologies for all the questions!

8 hours ago, Alexiocity said:

This is going to seem like an obvious question, but how would one do this? I've look but I can't see which would be the way to do it? Also, how do you make it show under the Continents competitions and not the countries?

Apologies for all the questions!

Are you doing it on basic rules? I don't think you can on that. On advanced, just scroll down a bit and there's a Sort By option. Set that to last position or equivalent.

If you set it up under continental rules they'll be shown under continental competitions by default.

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Are you doing it on basic rules? I don't think you can on that. On advanced, just scroll down a bit and there's a Sort By option. Set that to last position or equivalent.

If you set it up under continental rules they'll be shown under continental competitions by default.

I switched to advanced for it and basically copied how you did your Coupe de Napoleon when you posted it. Though I am still struggling with getting different teams in the other tournament. I'm running a test European set of tournaments using the Champions League & Europa League where the Champions League has a 90 team group stage (just to test if we get the 1st & 2nd tier teams) for England, Germany & Spain which seems to be working fine, and the Europa League which is a 6 team tournament using the next 2 2nd Tier sides in each country (just to test if that works). I've tried Sort Teams by Division (ascending) on both the Qualified Teams section and then tried on the Stage => Teams section, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm probably picking the wrong Sort By section, but would you be happy to check the file (have attached)?

testy.fmf

1 hour ago, Alexiocity said:

I switched to advanced for it and basically copied how you did your Coupe de Napoleon when you posted it. Though I am still struggling with getting different teams in the other tournament. I'm running a test European set of tournaments using the Champions League & Europa League where the Champions League has a 90 team group stage (just to test if we get the 1st & 2nd tier teams) for England, Germany & Spain which seems to be working fine, and the Europa League which is a 6 team tournament using the next 2 2nd Tier sides in each country (just to test if that works). I've tried Sort Teams by Division (ascending) on both the Qualified Teams section and then tried on the Stage => Teams section, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm probably picking the wrong Sort By section, but would you be happy to check the file (have attached)?

testy.fmf 16.29 kB · 0 downloads

Ah, I see what you mean now in regards to showing the competition under continents. This is the issue:

20240112172703_1.thumb.jpg.061e6e3d5d4f59045e5e32dd37ddd072.jpg

Untick the Nations to show comp under section. I use it for my competitions due to the limited number of nations in it, better to show it under just those nations rather than Europe as a whole. To show it under Europe you don't want it.

As for your Europa League, add this:

20240112172724_1.thumb.jpg.8dbb6b354d54de73b63554cd8bc036fe.jpg

You need to tell it to get all the teams from the UCL with the Ignore Teams box ticked. Then if it finds them in the later instructions it will just skip over them. So all the UCL teams in the Championship will be skipped and it'll start getting teams after that.

Add this Sort Teams instruction to all of your team instructions in both the UCL and UEL too:

20240112172730_1.thumb.jpg.0bd724a96014a0604d177d683a4471b6.jpg

I think it goes by reputation otherwise so wouldn't match up with league finishes. Strangely England failed to get enough teams in 2024 without it selected, so it's needed too.

And the result is:

UCL:
20240112172823_1.thumb.jpg.358854ace11a913a56d59e5d40d9f80f.jpg

UEL:
20240112172833_1.thumb.jpg.5b00749ea930b42cb809e8ac6187461e.jpg

And the Championship table to show it's correctly putting the top 10 in UCL and 11th/12th in UEL:
20240112172903_1.thumb.jpg.e083f671f351db34adc404ea74eb50c4.jpg

Ah, I see what you mean now in regards to showing the competition under continents. This is the issue:

Untick the Nations to show comp under section. I use it for my competitions due to the limited number of nations in it, better to show it under just those nations rather than Europe as a whole. To show it under Europe you don't want it.

You need to tell it to get all the teams from the UCL with the Ignore Teams box ticked. Then if it finds them in the later instructions it will just skip over them. So all the UCL teams in the Championship will be skipped and it'll start getting teams after that.

Add this Sort Teams instruction to all of your team instructions in both the UCL and UEL too:

I think it goes by reputation otherwise so wouldn't match up with league finishes. Strangely England failed to get enough teams in 2024 without it selected, so it's needed too.

And the result is:

UCL:

UEL:

And the Championship table to show it's correctly putting the top 10 in UCL and 11th/12th in UEL:

Thank you for that. I'll have a tinker when I get from work and hopefully I can crack on with my big dumb plan haha.

10 hours ago, rusty217 said:

And the result is:

UCL:

UEL:

I'm still getting that the test Europa League is missing 2 teams? Would I be right in thinking that was to do with there being not enough teams from England in 2024?

notenoughteams.png

2 hours ago, Alexiocity said:

I'm still getting that the test Europa League is missing 2 teams? Would I be right in thinking that was to do with there being not enough teams from England in 2024?

notenoughteams.png

Did you add Sort Teams = Last Position for all team instructions? That fixed it for me.

5 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Did you add Sort Teams = Last Position for all team instructions? That fixed it for me.

I did, but it didn't seem to help. Did you save what you did to the test file I put on here? If yes, would it be cool to pop it on here too and I'll see if I've missed anything?

Edited by Alexiocity

3 hours ago, Alexiocity said:

I did, but it didn't seem to help. Did you save what you did to the test file I put on here? If yes, would it be cool to pop it on here too and I'll see if I've missed anything?

No, sorry. I don't keep files for long on this computer, would have far too many otherwise. Pop your new file here though and I can have another look.

5 hours ago, rusty217 said:

No, sorry. I don't keep files for long on this computer, would have far too many otherwise. Pop your new file here though and I can have another look.

Yeah no problem. I've probably screwed something up haha. Sometimes it says 4 teams found on the pop up and every now and then it says 5 teams, which is weird?

testy.fmf

4 hours ago, Alexiocity said:

Yeah no problem. I've probably screwed something up haha. Sometimes it says 4 teams found on the pop up and every now and then it says 5 teams, which is weird?

testy.fmf 16.23 kB · 0 downloads

I don't think you did anything wrong. I was only testing to 2024 and it usually seems to happen it 2025. Weird that it's just England though.

I think it's a seeding issue. At least, that's how I solved it. Bump all the competitions up 1 seeding. So Championship = 1, Bundesliga 2 = 2 and Segunda Division = 3. I can only assume it's giving seeding 0 to the ignored teams or something which causes a clash. Tested it like that to 2027 and no issues so far.

20240113220037_1.thumb.jpg.13de2329f4824246338d7cbf3b906f59.jpg

I don't think you did anything wrong. I was only testing to 2024 and it usually seems to happen it 2025. Weird that it's just England though.

I think it's a seeding issue. At least, that's how I solved it. Bump all the competitions up 1 seeding. So Championship = 1, Bundesliga 2 = 2 and Segunda Division = 3. I can only assume it's giving seeding 0 to the ignored teams or something which causes a clash. Tested it like that to 2027 and no issues so far.

20240113220037_1.thumb.jpg.13de2329f4824246338d7cbf3b906f59.jpg

It seems to be working! I tested it for a couple of seasons on the game and everything was running correctly. HOORAY!

Thank you so much for your help. Now to try and do the big scenario!