The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - Way Past It's Sell-By Date

Nick OGS20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

On that first Guardian article, Get ready for years of those sort of articles, where Gill/Ferguson/Glazers say one thing, and the MUST/FCUM/Anti-Glazer people say the opposite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean, get ready? We've already had them for more than a year icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rio Ferdinand says he is willing to continue in a midfield role for Manchester United, as Sir Alex Ferguson continues to flounder in his search for reinforcements.

The need for a new midfield enforcer has become abundantly clear after a run of injuries at Old Trafford, and Ferdinand filled in with aplomb in the 3-0 win over Wolves at the weekend.

The Red Devils have been trying unsuccessfully to sign new players such as Milan's Johann Vogel and Reggina's Carlos Paredes, and with just hours to go of the transfer window it appears that Ferdinand may be asked to fulfil the unfamiliar role once more against Blackburn on Wednesday.

Wolves star Paul Ince also led the calls for the former Leeds man to play the holding role for England in the World Cup, and Ferdinand admits he would be happy to adapt for both club and country if needs be.

"You have to be able to fit in all over the park if it benefits the team," Ferdinand told MUTV.

"On Sunday, we had a lot of injuries and the manager also decided Darren Fletcher needed a rest, so I went in there.

"It was an interesting, new experience but who knows whether I could step up to that position against an international side.

"I am a centre half by trade and ideally I would prefer to play there.

"But I will play anywhere for Manchester United or England and if the manager calls upon me to do that job again, I will." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to double post,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United are prepared to farm another player out to Royal Antwerp with Tom Heaton primed for the move to Belgium.

The 19-year-old goalkeeper is set to head for United's feeder club in order to improve his footballing education.

Sir Alex Ferguson recalled Richie Jones from his loan at Antwerp due to a midfield crisis at Old Trafford, but the Red Devils manager has agreed to allow his young shot-stopper to make the switch.

The move has not been confirmed yet as Heaton is initially training with the rest of the squad as Antwerp take a closer look at him.

A number of United's fringe players have made the trip to Belgium recently, including highly-rated duo Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Lee Martin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and also,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hesterfield have signed Manchester United striker Colin Heath on a contract until the end of the season.

The Chesterfield-born hit-man moved to Saltergate before the end of the January transfer window, having played the first half of this season on loan with League One rivals Swindon Town.

Heath's chances of breaking into Sir Alex Ferguson's first team were seemingly remote and the striker has now decided to return home and continue his career with The Spireites.

"Colin has been training with us for a couple of weeks and, now he has become available, we are keen to give another local lad the chance of playing first team football for Chesterfield," manager Roy McFarland told the club's official website.

Heath's arrival comes after McFarland extended the loan of Tottenham Hotspur youngster Jamie O'Hara on Tuesday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently the Defoe thing came about as follows:

Defoe is hacked off with being stuck on the bench in World Cup year, and made it known that he would be interested in a move to the Scouse.

They offer us a straight swap for Cisse, which United get wind of, and promptly put in a bid of Saha + 2m.

Defoe rejects the move to United, as he knew he'd be stuck behind Rooney and RvN.

Spurs reject the move to the Scouse because Cisse is a pile of horsesh*t, and certainly not worth as much as Defoe.

Obviously all rumour mill stuff, so take with the pinch of salt etc.

Fergie has certainly always admired Defoe, and we've tried to get him before. But that could just as easily be why a journalist felt they could get away with the story as point to it being factual. Certainly i find it hard to believe there's anyone in the country who would think they'd get away with Cisse for Defoe in a straight swap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Fergie has certainly always admired Defoe, and we've tried to get him before. But that could just as easily be why a journalist felt they could get away with the story as point to it being factual. Certainly i find it hard to believe there's anyone in the country who would think they'd get away with Cisse for Defoe in a straight swap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite. But from what I hear, that side of it is definite - United's interest is from much less reliable sources.

I suppose Cisse did cost 12m. And is still a France International. But really......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Certainly i find it hard to believe there's anyone in the country who would think they'd get away with Cisse for Defoe in a straight swap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats right, we'd have wanted some cash aswell ffs. :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Certainly i find it hard to believe there's anyone in the country who would think they'd get away with Cisse for Defoe in a straight swap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats right, we'd have wanted some cash aswell ffs. :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldn't have thought there was much truth to those rumors.

Saha's recently came out and publicly thanked Sir Alex and obviously wants to repay him, plus Defoe doesnt offer us the same turn of pace and "salmon leap" ability Saha does.

Even if it was on the cards im glad it didnt happen icon_smile.gif

Nice interview with Mads also, hope he comes back and makes it icon14.gif

Buying Defoe as suggested would just be f*cking brilliant. Pure Fergie (Post 2001) Economics. icon14.gif

-Desperately try to sign a striker in late 2003.

-Watch Defoe (worth about £5m-6m) but sign Saha (£12.5m)

-Pay Louis wages for almost two full years of him sitting on his arse injured, while Defoe goes on to become an England international.

-Sign the player we originally deemed not good enough, in exchange for our £12.5m PLUS another £2m on top.

Its so utterly ridiculous, it could almost be true...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> But one of the stubborn Premier League ironies has been that, although the clubs have indeed become huge global names, for all the Far East tie-ups and US tours clubs have found it difficult to turn this worldwide interest in football into cash. Of United's £157m total income last year, just £383,000, 0.24%, was made commercially overseas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but but aren't the far east fans the best ones? the ones that spend MILLIONS on merchandise.

I'm shocked.

No really I am.

So is Rooney not playing deliberate, an oversight, or is he not available? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtf :/

I forgot Rooney :/

So err yeah him instead of Saha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Never been a big fan of Defoe - swapping Louis plus cash for him would have been utterly ridiculous /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Defoe's a decent player but his all round game probably isn't as good as Saha's and I doubt there's a lot of difference in their rate of goalscoring given an injury free season..

Saha since coming back has shown his value (aside from the Burton replay) to the team and our setup of strikers atm doesn't need a thing changing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ambrosesimon:

Any truth in the theory that by securing Superbowl 2009 at Tampa, the Glazers will earn enough money from TV rights and advetising to pay off the debt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They probably would, but it depends on how that money is distributed between The City of Tampa, The Buccaneers and the Glazer family.

On that first Guardian article, Get ready for years of those sort of articles, where Gill/Ferguson/Glazers say one thing, and the MUST/FCUM/Anti-Glazer people say the opposite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure exactly how it all works out, but typically any revenue generated for the Super Bowl goes to the NFL, not the team directly. The money is then distributed evenly to all of the teams in the league. Therefore, the Glazers probably will not be nearly as much as you would think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EaglenOH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ambrosesimon:

Any truth in the theory that by securing Superbowl 2009 at Tampa, the Glazers will earn enough money from TV rights and advetising to pay off the debt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They probably would, but it depends on how that money is distributed between The City of Tampa, The Buccaneers and the Glazer family.

Not sure exactly how it all works out, but typically any revenue generated for the Super Bowl goes to the NFL, not the team directly. The money is then distributed evenly to all of the teams in the league. Therefore, the Glazers probably will not be nearly as much as you would think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the NFL not have to hire the stadium from the owners, or is it part of the franchise deal then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master Blasta:

Blaine, are you going to blackpool for the full weekend for the FC game? Also who is going blackburn tonight? Apparently there still might be a few tickets left at the ticket office, but dont quote me on that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Friday & Saturday booked on and paid for (have been for a few months). Might hang around a bit on Sunday - see how I feel an' all that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Yeah, Friday & Saturday booked on and paid for (have been for a few months). Might hang around a bit on Sunday - see how I feel an' all that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one, I'm struggling to get my mates on board they are coming up with all sorts of excuses now (valentines day, liverpool game etc). A few want to go to the Liverpool game first then drive to Blackpool!!

Send us a txt when your in Blackburn, my parents live up in Accy so i'll only be round the corner beforehand. If my mate gets down earlyish I'll try and come down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Whats the feeling like confidence wise before tonights game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Things have been going too weel recently, it's about time for a depressing 1-1 draw to bring us back down to earth.

Hopefully not tonight though.

Archived