XABI ALONSO MASTERCLASS GREAT TACTIC DOMINATE XG AND POSSESSION SOLID IN DEFENSE

XABI ALONSO 3-4-2-1 TACTICAL ANALYSIS 

In the ever-evolving realm of professional football, players often prioritize titles and financial prospects when deciding on their next club. Yet, there exists a less tangible but potent force influencing such choices: the persuasive prowess of a revered coach. Bayer 04 Leverkusen, recognized for consistent performances though lacking the charisma of Bundesliga giants, has deftly harnessed this influence to its advantage. Despite limited financial resources, the club has made a significant impact in the transfer market, leveraging the reputation and sway of their new head coach, Xabi Alonso.

Xabi Alonso, the distinguished Spanish coach, has swiftly captivated the interest of potential recruits, rendering Bayer Leverkusen an appealing destination for sought-after players. His esteemed playing career and footballing acumen have garnered immense respect within the football community, injecting a newfound charisma into the club as its head coach.

Several notable additions attribute Xabi Alonso as a pivotal factor in their decision to join Bayer Leverkusen, signaling the onset of a promising era. As the Spanish tactician embarks on his first full season, optimism permeates the air regarding the team's prospects. The clear objective is to secure a coveted position in the premier echelons of European football.

This analysis will delve into the transformative impact of Xabi Alonso's presence at Bayer Leverkusen through a scout report, examining the club's transfer strategy and the type of players attracted. The focus is on deciphering the tactics that Xabi Alonso brings to the team, anticipating how his footballing philosophy and coaching methods will shape Bayer Leverkusen into a competitive force capable of challenging Bundesliga's traditional powerhouses.

Bayer Leverkusen, currently leading the Bundesliga, has undergone a remarkable transformation under head coach Xabi Alonso. Alonso, in his first full season, has implemented a well-understood 3-4-2-1 formation, with players seamlessly fitting into their roles. Leverkusen's tactical discipline is evident in both attack and defense, with a balanced distribution of goals and an impressive defensive record. The team's attacking prowess is complemented by a strong defensive strategy, notably being one of two teams yet to concede on the counter-attack.
Alonso has prioritized continuity in team selection, making minimal changes to the starting lineup. New signings, including Granit Xhaka and Álex Grimaldo, have adapted well, contributing to a cohesive and settled squad. Leverkusen's goal-scoring prowess is evenly spread, with 11 different scorers this season. While the team excels in open play, set pieces also play a crucial role, with eight goals scored from corners, free-kicks, and penalties.
Alonso's emphasis on possession and passing accuracy is evident, with Leverkusen averaging 58% possession and completing a league-high 90% of passes. The team's pass ratio remains impressive even in the final third. Leverkusen's system, with its depth and adaptability, has yielded phenomenal results, breaking records with 31 points at this stage of the season and a club-record 34 goals scored. Despite the season's long way to go, Bayer Leverkusen appears poised to shed its 'Neverkusen' tag with a stellar performance under Xabi Alonso.

Initial Position

The 2022/23 season proved tumultuous for Bayer 04 Leverkusen, marked by both challenges and glimpses of promise. Under former coach Gerardo Seoane, the campaign faced difficulties, culminating in his dismissal after a disappointing start. Xabi Alonso, stepping into the role, faced the daunting task of revitalizing the team's performance and instilling a winning mentality. With an emphasis on attacking play and improved defensive organization, Alonso began reshaping the team's identity and style of play.

Alonso's guidance saw Bayer Leverkusen shine in attacking prowess, securing the sixth-highest goal tally in the league with 57 goals. Defensive improvements were evident, with the club conceding the seventh-fewest goals in the Bundesliga. Goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky faced scrutiny, but Alonso's trust in his abilities aimed at bolstering defensive stability.

A highlight of Leverkusen's season was the emergence of a young and talented squad under Alonso's nurturing. Despite a commendable sixth-place finish in the Bundesliga, there's a sense that the team, with its talent, could contend for Champions League qualification in the seasons to come.

Alonso’s Tactics

Since taking charge, Xabi Alonso has favored a 3-4-3 formation, emphasizing its balance of compactness and dynamism. Defensive issues led to occasional use of the 5-2-3 or 5-4-1 formation, reinforcing flanks with defensively strong players to enhance tactical awareness and reduce vulnerabilities.

Transitions became a crucial aspect of Leverkusen’s game under Alonso. Unlike teams retreating into a 5-4-1 when not in possession, Leverkusen’s front three stayed narrow, applying pressure in distant areas from their goal. Counterattacks thrived, contributing significantly to creating scoring opportunities.

In the attacking phase, positional attacks were emphasized, especially during a mid-block. Leverkusen's back three often transformed into a back two, facilitating effective build-up play from the back.

Transfers

In the transfer market, Bayer Leverkusen strategically reshaped its squad for the upcoming season. Notable departures included goalkeepers, Ayman Azhil, Karim Bellarabi, Daley Sinkgraven, Mitchell Bakker, Paulinho, and Moussa Diaby. Despite these exits, the club focused on securing promising talents and top-quality players, displaying ambition to remain competitive.

New additions such as right-back Arthur from América-MG, Ayman Aourir from the youth system, and international players Victor Boniface, Jonas Hofmann, Granit Xhaka, and Alejandro Grimaldo reflect Leverkusen's commitment to squad improvement. The acquisitions aim to bolster defensive options, enhance squad depth, and add experience to compete at the highest level.

Xabi Alonso at Bayer Leverkusen 2023/24 - Tactics Analysis

Incorporating these additions into the squad, Leverkusen is poised for an exciting and competitive 2023/24 season. With a blend of youthful exuberance and experienced talent in a dynamic 3-4-3 formation, the team under Alonso's astute management presents a formidable lineup. The emphasis on tactical flexibility and a balanced approach positions Leverkusen as strong contenders in both domestic and European competitions.

Conclusion

Xabi Alonso's tactical brilliance at Bayer Leverkusen augurs well for the future. His focus on compactness, dynamic transitions, and positional attacks has elevated the team's performances. As the squad continues to gel and develop under Alonso's guidance, Bayer Leverkusen's prospects in both domestic and European competitions look increasingly promising. The fans can anticipate an exciting and competitive team, with high hopes for success in the Bundesliga and beyond.

HOW TO EMULATE IT ON FOOTBALL MANAGER 2024

In Football Manager 2024, replicating the tactical brilliance of Xabi Alonso presents an exciting challenge. The Spanish coach's distinctive 3-4-2-1 formation has captivated football enthusiasts, and now you can bring his strategic prowess to life in the virtual world of Football Manager.

Formation Setup:

Begin by setting up your team in the  3-4-2-1 formation, a formation that encapsulates the balance of compactness and dynamism that Alonso's tactics are renowned for. The defensive strength of three center-backs, the midfield solidity of four, and the attacking flair of two behind a lone striker mirror the structure that has defined Bayer Leverkusen's recent success.

Defensive Solidity:

Alonso's tactics emphasize defensive stability, often transitioning into a 5-2-3 or 5-4-1 when needed. Ensure your central defenders are robust and tactically aware, capable of transforming the defensive line seamlessly. Full-backs should be defensively sound, contributing to the defensive structure while providing width in attack.

Transition and Counterattacks:

Leverage the dynamism of your front three during transitions. Unlike traditional setups that retreat into a defensive block, Alonso's tactics maintain a narrow front, allowing quick pressure on opponents and facilitating rapid counterattacks. Ensure your players in advanced positions are quick, agile, and adept at exploiting spaces left by the opposition.

Midfield Dynamics:

Central to Alonso's approach is the balance and intelligence in midfield. In Football Manager, replicate this by selecting midfielders with tactical awareness, vision, and the ability to dictate play. Use a combination of central midfielders and wide players to create a cohesive unit, dominating both defensively and in the build-up.

Attacking Versatility:

Alonso's tactics shine in the attacking phase, emphasizing positional attacks, especially during a mid-block. Your front two should possess creativity, technical ability, and an eye for goal. Encourage overlapping runs from your wing-backs to add depth to attacks. The lone striker should be versatile, capable of both linking play and finishing chances efficiently.

Let's break down the key instructions and player roles to successfully emulate this tactic.

In Possession:

Formation Setup: Begin with the iconic 3-4-2-1 formation, promoting defensive stability with a positive mentality.

Attacking Width: Keep the attacking width narrow, aligning with Alonso's strategy of concentrating play in the center.

Build-up from Defense: Utilize "Play from the Defense" to encourage a patient and calculated approach in building from the back.

Wide Center Back: Deploy the wide center back in a support role to mimic Kossounou's forward movements, creating a 2-3-5 shape during possession.

Pass into Space: Activate "Pass into Space" for a vertical playing style that aligns with Alonso's preference for dynamic, forward football.

Play for Set Pieces and Hit Early Crosses: Emphasize set-piece opportunities and exploit the central forward as a target for early crosses.

In Transition:

Gegenpressing: When possession is lost, implement gegenpressing to quickly regain the ball and launch fast counter-attacks, mirroring Bayer's effective transition play.

Goalkeeper Distribution: Instruct the goalkeeper to roll the ball out to central defenders to initiate build-up efficiently.

Out of Possession:

Defensive Line and Pressing Line: Maintain a higher defensive line and pressing line, balanced to avoid vulnerability against long balls.

Offside Trap: Use the offside trap to disrupt the opponent's attacks and force them into less favorable positions.

Preventing Short GK Distribution: Press often to thwart short goalkeeper distributions, limiting the opponent's options and directing play to the flanks.

Player Roles:

Goalkeeper: Simple goalkeeper on defend with no additional instructions.

Defensive Trio: Deploy a wide center back on support (with dribble more and cross less often), a central defender on defend, and a ball-playing defender on support (with dribble more and close down more).

Wing-Backs: Employ a complete wing-back on support (Frimpong) and a wing-back on support (Grimaldo), each with specific instructions tailored to their roles.

Defensive Midfielders: Use a regista on support (Xhaka) and a deep-lying playmaker (Palacios) with additional instructions for a more assertive defensive presence.

Attacking Midfielders and Forward: Set up two attacking midfielders on support (Wirtz and Hofmann) with distinct instructions for added freedom and defensive responsibilities. The lone striker (Boniface) assumes the role of a complete forward on attack, mirroring his dynamic movements in Xabi Alonso's system.

I tried this tactic with Bayer Leverkusen and managed the club by myself, did not make any transfer move so I did not improve my squad. I won the double Bundesliga-DFB Pokal in Germany and got knocked-out by Liverppool in UEFA Europa League Quarter Final. 
With Leeds, to save time I decided to holiday the season, did not make any transfer and I finished 5th in Sky Bet Championship and won the Play-off against Blackburn finally got promoted to the Premier League. With Bayer I scored more and conceded less goals than with Leeds, but both tests went well. I hope this tactic works for you too, please see the video for  highlights and stats. Thanks everyone!

BAYER LEVERKUSEN CLASSIFICA.jpg

BAYER LEVERKUSEN COMPETITIONS.jpg

BAYER LEVERKUSEN STATS.jpg

TACTIC IN TRANSITION.jpg

TACTIC OUT OF POSSESSION.jpg

TACTIC OVERVIEW.jpg

TACTIC IN POSSESSION.jpg

DATA HUB LEEDS DEFENSE.jpg

DATA HUB LEEDS.jpg

LEEDS SECOND BEST DEFENSE.jpg

LEEDS PROMOTED.jpg

SKYBET CHAMPIONSHIP LEEDS CLASSIFICA.jpg

LEEDS PLAYOFF FINALE.jpg

LEEDS GOALS .jpg

LEEDS FORMAZIONE.jpg

3-4-2-1 XABI ALONSO EMULATION.fmf

I'm (like most) big admirer of Alonso and hope he can come to Real Madrid next season. I'm watching a lot of Leverkusen games this season, first time ever I watch that many Bundesliga games ever, but it's so fun to watch this team this year.

Nice representation of the tactic!

I also wanted to give the 3-4-2-1 formation a go due to that, so I'm playing a similar one to yours but in the 4th division in Uk, with Crewe, so I had to adapt a little for my less skilled players. I'm currently sitting 3rd in the leage with 5 games to end the season, when I was predicted to be demoted.

I only have one question/concern, why the trap outside? If I understand properly what the trap does, you are driving your opponents to the sides, that in fact could leave you exposed in the flanks specially with teams with wingers and attacking wingbacks that can 2v1 your single wide players.

Hi, thank you for your comment.

Yes, if you want to manage lower divisions teams like Crewe some adjustments to my tactic need to be made, maybe more defensive (did you use mid block?) and adapt to your players, but I am happy to know that you are doing very well.

To answer your question, yes , you correctly understand what the trap does., it drives your opponents to the flanks /sides, Xabi is doing it too in reality as I could see from some of  Bayer games analysis I found, This allows you to use the sideline as a weapon against your opponent instead, just imagine you are playing football and you are near the sideline , let's say the right sideline, you have the ball, what can you do? you can go straight in front of you or left or you can turn behind but you cannot go right or pass the ball on your right because that will be a throw-in. If you are the defending team you will force the attacking opponents to make a mistake sooner or later, And then you can press more aggresively and create numerical advantage, this making it even harder for the opponent who has less space to move /pass /dribble