Deep laying playmaker

At the moment in my 433 DM formation my DLP is hardly involved. He has the least passes of most of the players and the central defenders ignore him and play balls to the fullbacks who then pass to the midfielders.

How do I get the deep laying playmaker in the defensive midfield strata to become more involved in the game?

1 minute ago, SPE3D said:

At the moment in my 433 DM formation my DLP is hardly involved. He has the least passes of most of the players and the central defenders ignore him and play balls to the fullbacks who then pass to the midfielders.

How do I get the deep laying playmaker in the defensive midfield strata to become more involved in the game?

What CDs roles you use?

Focusing play down the middle sounds interesting but that will impact my attacking play which I am happy with at the moment.

BPD take riskier passes. Would have thought that would make the situation worse.

Thinking of adding play out of defence. See if that has any impact.

2 hours ago, SPE3D said:

Focusing play down the middle sounds interesting but that will impact my attacking play which I am happy with at the moment.

BPD take riskier passes. Would have thought that would make the situation worse.

Thinking of adding play out of defence. See if that has any impact.

You can try anything but be aware that Play Out Of Defence will slow down your attacks and make your defensive line and DM positioned players to play more simple passes with each other patiently and keep possession until they find an open space to move the ball forward. This may hurt your team by losing possession in a dangerous area.

Edited by dzek

After considering everything I moved my DLP into the central midfield strata on a support role with a DM on defence.

It's early days but he's now more involved in play and our gameplay has largely remained the same.

We were doing ok until we come up against an AI playing pressing tactics and we got absolutely annihilated. Now that's another topic 😉

2 hours ago, SPE3D said:

After considering everything I moved my DLP into the central midfield strata on a support role with a DM on defence.

It's early days but he's now more involved in play and our gameplay has largely remained the same.

We were doing ok until we come up against an AI playing pressing tactics and we got absolutely annihilated. Now that's another topic 😉

Are you using a DLP(s) or DLP(d) in the DM role?

You can also add the trait "comes deep to get ball" and tell your goalkeeper to specifically roll it out to the DLP.

Edited by Cloud9

17 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Are you using a DLP(s) or DLP(d) in the DM role?

You can also add the trait "comes deep to get ball" and tell your goalkeeper to specifically roll it out to the DLP.

Was using DLPs but found we became to passive in an attacking sense so changed to a BBM.

1 hour ago, SPE3D said:

Was using DLPs but found we became to passive in an attacking sense so changed to a BBM.

Yea you usually don't want a holding midfielder as an 8. At that point it's better to switch formations to a 4-2-3-1.

The DLP is a recycler of possession, if he's not getting involved and he's on support duty it's probably due to you progressing the ball too quickly up the pitch. W/out seeing your tactic it's just guesswork but lowering the tempo would fix that. I've had the most success using them in a double pivot next to a BWM(d). As a solo 6 he's fine as well, you can also use an IWB to give him a buddy in possession. 

If you're still feeling underwhelmed by his impact, you could turn to the regista for a more expansive passing range. 

Edited by Cloud9

24 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Yea you usually don't want a holding midfielder as an 8. At that point it's better to switch formations to a 4-2-3-1.

The DLP is a recycler of possession, if he's not getting involved and he's on support duty it's probably due to you progressing the ball too quickly up the pitch. W/out seeing your tactic it's just guesswork but lowering the tempo would fix that. I've had the most success using them in a double pivot next to a BWM(d). As a solo 6 he's fine as well, you can also use an IWB to give him a buddy in possession. 

If you're still feeling underwhelmed by his impact, you could turn to the regista for a more expansive passing range. 

You are right. We're playing a high tempo, direct, counter style. Originally the idea was for the DLP to occupy the DM strata and receive the ball off the defenders but that didn't work. 

He was more involved when moved to the central midfield strata but we were more passive because of it.

I'm playing with a balanced mentality most of the time. The idea is to not always be direct but mix it up and I quite like the way it works. Just needs a little more tinkering.

22 minutes ago, SPE3D said:

You are right. We're playing a high tempo, direct, counter style. Originally the idea was for the DLP to occupy the DM strata and receive the ball off the defenders but that didn't work. 

He was more involved when moved to the central midfield strata but we were more passive because of it.

I'm playing with a balanced mentality most of the time. The idea is to not always be direct but mix it up and I quite like the way it works. Just needs a little more tinkering.

Have you experimented playing with no playmaker +  adjusting passing meters on individual players PIs? That can give a unique passing approach to the game, esp on a direct counter style. I use that quite a bit myself.

You've got to drag the passing meters around in the TIs so it's a bit of headache (then in the PIs Stick "pass it short" or "more direct), but basically you can get players lacking technical quality to lay it off to the talented boys who can then progress the ball quickly. If you're looking for a varied approach that could work nicely. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 18/11/2023 at 22:03, Cloud9 said:

Have you experimented playing with no playmaker +  adjusting passing meters on individual players PIs? That can give a unique passing approach to the game, esp on a direct counter style. I use that quite a bit myself.

You've got to drag the passing meters around in the TIs so it's a bit of headache (then in the PIs Stick "pass it short" or "more direct), but basically you can get players lacking technical quality to lay it off to the talented boys who can then progress the ball quickly. If you're looking for a varied approach that could work nicely. 

I've been trying to achieve this through roles and it's largely working the way I envisioned. Some things not so much and maybe player instructions is the answer.