Player Development - Attribute Priority?

Hi, so I have this player I've been bringing through and I think I've misunderstood how the relation between attributes and CA behaves. Originally I thought that the cost of improving an attribute from 5-6 would be less than improving an attribute from 15 to 16 but from what I've recently searched this was wrong?

Instead attributes are supposedly weighted by position (from what I've read).

Originally I thought it would be a good idea to raise my player's shooting attributes - but to get them to a good standard of the French league I'm probably looking at trying to get them to 13-14, that's a lot of points to try and make up.

So now I'm thinking maybe it would be better to try and improve his Attacking Movement attributes to solely focus on getting him to be the best AP he can be rather than improve his shooting which would possibly be more expensive to get up to a good standard.

What are your thoughts? 

Mohawk.thumb.PNG.f27a54f7861e2e559299421cea1091fa.PNG

I think in general, even if a player is 15 y.o. increasing any of his attributes by more than 5 is either very difficult or nearly impossible. At least, I don't think I've ever seen that happening. Would be nice to be wrong on that one.

And there's of course a quite realistic limit to what you can teach a player. I think from the very beginning more often than not you already see what type of player a newgen will be, turning him into something completely different is not possible and not realistic either. At such age players are already developed IRL, too. They might change/learn positions/roles to play, but a fast small winger won't turn into a towering target man, e.t.c.

In this case his finishing will never be strong, and I think reaching even 13 is completely unrealistic. I'd say 12 is best case scenario but even that ONLY if he's like really, really talented - around PA 200 basically. He's 19, he'll improve of course, but such a dramatic increase in one attribute, again - if it is at all possible - would probably come at the expense of other attributes - and I don't think he has any to spare :). He basically needs to improve in nearly everything except technique and balance to be a real star and even if it was possible to increase his ability in one direction only - that would probably make him a worse player than all-round natural development. Let's be honest, if he stays like this but has 13 finishing - he'd be quite mediocre in every regard, while if he instead improves his key attributes by +2 each he'll be a very, very good player indeed, albeit not good at finishing. Doing both I don't think is achievable.

So just give him "looks to pass rather than attempting to score" trait and he'll be fine.

My bet would be that he won't go above 10-11 finishing in his entire career.

And yeah, I think your idea of improving him in his current role by making him work on his attacking movement is a good one, that's exactly how I would develop him as well. Attacking movement should grow fairly quickly because both his anticipation and off the ball are still trainable - of which tbh probably only off the ball is really important to him - anticipation he's also kind of stuck with being not a genius forever. Yeah, you can get ant to like 13 if you're lucky, but even that's not great.

On top of that - just a couple of my thoughts about him as a player currently - take it or leave it :).

He has potential, but he's also a tricky one to develop into a really good player. IMO his technical skills drag him down quite a bit. For an advanced playmaker or supporting inverted winger 13 in first touch and passing isn't very high. He needs to improve in them. Currently he's quite fast, can dribble well with that balance, pace+accel and dribbling, but when it comes to giving the ball away - so either passing, shooting or crossing - he's only capable of passing, and even then not accurately enough. Also with that teamwork - he's pretty much set on always being a player who will be mostly doing his own thing. To be successful, such players need to be exceptional at that thing in order to not let the team down, and so far he's not that exceptional in any particular one thing. Also because of his anticipation and first touch, he's better off running with the ball from deep than being up front and waiting for a pass - so support and deeper roles suit him better. IMO his success depends very much on whether he'll improve sufficiently in his passing and off the ball. Preferrably first touch as well, otherwise he'll always need a lot of space around him to start doing his thing - basically the difference between playing an advanced playmayker in MC/s or AMC/s vs MC/AMC/a or IW/s vs IW/a e.t.c.

The tricky part here is that passing won't be easy to improve with individual training. He already has high technique and vision stats, so most likely if you assign that to him (invidual focus "passing"), he (and the coaches) will start moaning that he's already developed enough and it's not helpful. So you just have to hope that passing will grow naturally as he's getting more experienced. If he gets to 15 - he's class. If it's less... well, a flawed diamond I guess.

Personal traits I would consider, to underpin his strengths and hide weaknesses "looks to pass rather than attempting to score", "runs with the ball often", "tries tricks", "curls ball" (might help with so-so passing and crossing). "Comes deep to get the ball" - especially if his off the ball develops further, but mostly to combine with running with the ball often to underpin his ability to bring the ball forward from deep by himself.

Edited by Drake

9 hours ago, Kuchiki said:

Hi, so I have this player I've been bringing through and I think I've misunderstood how the relation between attributes and CA behaves. Originally I thought that the cost of improving an attribute from 5-6 would be less than improving an attribute from 15 to 16 but from what I've recently searched this was wrong?

Instead attributes are supposedly weighted by position (from what I've read).

Originally I thought it would be a good idea to raise my player's shooting attributes - but to get them to a good standard of the French league I'm probably looking at trying to get them to 13-14, that's a lot of points to try and make up.

So now I'm thinking maybe it would be better to try and improve his Attacking Movement attributes to solely focus on getting him to be the best AP he can be rather than improve his shooting which would possibly be more expensive to get up to a good standard.

What are your thoughts? 

Mohawk.thumb.PNG.f27a54f7861e2e559299421cea1091fa.PNG

He doesn't need to be good at everything in the game to be a good player for your team. Focus his early development on technical attributes (and physical: although those are already excellent on him) as they become harder to train as he grows up.

Personally I think this is a pretty easy one: you want to stick him on passing training as much as possible. Even if he doesn't become a nailed on starter, he will have the skillset to break down opposition. He's got attributes in all the right places to do a job for you now and in the future (high agi/balance, decisions, flair, and technique are great bones for a playmaker). His anticipation can use some work, but his mentals are quite easy to develop outside of his early development (post 23ish as a rule of thumb). Composure/Decisions are more what you're looking at in a utility playmaker (on the ball ability) along with competent anticipation so he is good to go in that department. 

How much he can improve is dependent on:

• PA
  • Personality
  • How you manage his training and game time

Avoid adding too many traits onto him, they will take away from key development time. If you want to add a few onto him, do it via mentoring if possible. Rounds keeper is a fine addition, but he won't be in goal scoring opportunities frequently as an AP creating for others. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 08/10/2023 at 16:43, Kuchiki said:

Hi, so I have this player I've been bringing through and I think I've misunderstood how the relation between attributes and CA behaves.

You might be overcomplicating it a bit way too much, there are a lot of factors at play. I would just focus on training him along the pathway of a player who needs help in specific attributes. You determine what they should be and then choose the role. Don't worry about optimising it too much. Try to avoid programs that are too general when they are young. At least thats what I have done and its worked for me.