New Ratings Scale

psucolonel

Would it be possible to introduce a new ratings scale for FM?  As we all know, it is currently a 1-20 rating system, which to me (and others I think) is a bit too granular for those seeking a very realistic experience.  I certainly understand the need for ratings, and am not asking they be abandoned, but rather just a better way to view them in the default skin.  

Perhaps FM COULD Work off of a 2-8 scale, where 5 represents an average rating in any one category.  A 6 would represent an above average rating, (one deviation from the middle) a 7 would be a very good rating, and an 8 would be elite.  On the contrasting side, a 4 would be below Average, a 3 would be fair and a 2 would represent a "poor" rating.  

This would give you a possible 7 pockets of ratings (7 colors...instead of 4...but still less granular) This system is what was once used in Major League Baseball in the United States.  

If this is a ratings system with too much going on...I have another idea which is similar and would work very well off of the 1-20 system.  As it stands, th 1-20 system is sort of divided by 4...abilities are divided into 4 tiers. (1-5, 6-10, 11- 15, 16-20)  My idea is to divide it into 5 levels of ability (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, 17-20) where it's similar to the 2-8 scale, but now you only have 5 levels of scoring as opposed to 7.  So this is a 1-5 scale where a 3 (9-12) represents an average rating at any skill/attribute.  4 is "good" and a 5 is "very good".  A 2 is "fair", and a 1 is "poor".  Now you have 5 colors (as opposed to 4) and you have a "median rating" of 3.  

With this system you have much less granular ratings visible to the user (1-20) and it feels a bit more realistic while still staying within the 1-20 framework.

I realize some of the skins to there sort of do this already, but it would be very nice to have the default skin work this way also since it's much nicer.  Perhaps this could be an option feature within settings...or even customizable?  It seems to me the second option here would be fairly easy to implement.

Any thoughts?  Thank you for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Peterdk said:

dont mess with the things that are working in fm, honestly 1-20 works perfect.

We’ll to be fair I DID propose a system that would still be working off of the 1-20 scale, so based on your comment, I’m not really sure you even read through the entire proposal.

• 1 month later...