A National Embarrassment (Short)

EvilDave

From The Daily Record

It Can’t Get Any Worse

It’s been a long time since Scottish football was on top of the world. It’s hard to say exactly when our proud nation sat atop the pile, but for much of its storied past Scotland, a nation of fewer than six million, has punched significantly above its weight. We are, after all, the nation which gave the world the famous Lisbon Lions, produced managerial giants such as Ferguson, Shankly, Stein, Busby and Struth, and contests one of the most ferocious derbies anywhere on the planet.

But while there have long been grumblings about Old Firm domination being bad for the health of the Scottish game and the riches of clubs south of the border reducing the SPL to little more than a feeder league, very few have been prepared to sound the death knell of our national game. Until now.

Last night, in the semi finals of the Scottish Challenge Cup - now in its second season without a title sponsor - Falkirk were beaten 2-1 at home by Northern Irish guests Linfield. Roughly 300 miles away in North Wales, Greenock Morton were taken to a penalty shoot-out by Bala Town, who triumphed from 12 yards. For the first time in history, a Scottish cup final will take place without a Scottish team contesting it.

Even the venue is a source of embarrassment. Partick Thistle’s Firhill Stadium was chosen late in the day, as all final venues have been historically, for its relative equidistance to the remaining Scottish sides in the competition. The Scottish FA themselves simply assumed their sides would win through, and while they could hardly have asked to host the game outside their own jurisdiction, it makes the situation all the more ridiculous to the observer.

The talent drain from Scottish football has long been a cause of concern, but the fact that this final will take place is a nadir which should never have been reached. Linfield are at least a strong club in their own right, with a rich history of success in their native league and a culture of victory. Bala Town on the other hand, have never won even the Welsh Premier League, a competition made up largely of semi-professional clubs. That they have managed to beat the likes of Montrose and Alloa in addition to last night’s visitors is a damning indictment indeed.

The SFA and SPFL must now act to save face. The game will go ahead, of that there can be doubt, and a guest club will lift the Challenge Cup for the first time. But it cannot be allowed to happen again. Reforming the competition and excluding such sides would smack of sour grapes, so the onus must instead be on improving the Scottish game to the point where another Bala Town reaching the final is unthinkable. It doesn’t matter how it happens - league reform, financial incentives, or something else entirely - but last night’s results must act as a wake-up call. The future of our game depends on it.

--

Inspired by something that I spotted when combing through the game world for 'Continent from the Couch.'  This will only be a quick one, but I hope enjoyable nonetheless!

Thank you for the kind words, both - glad to have you on board!
--

The TV broadcast cut to a replay of Linfield’s match-winning goal, pausing on a frame a few seconds before highlighting the Falkirk defence.

“The more I look at this, the worse it gets. Linfield have got one man breaking forward against three defenders, and somehow he ends up free. If you play the next clip, you’ll see Gallagher doesn’t even do anything special. It’s a quick feint one way, a step the other, and he’s got half the penalty area to himself. It’s baffling defending.”

“Do you give Linfield any credit for the goal?”

“Don’t get me wrong, once Gallagher gets that ball it’s a great finish - he had a lot of time to think about it, and plenty of players panic in that situation. But he should never have been given the opportunity, it’s criminal defending.”

The studio emerges back into view after the video is allowed to continue, concluding with the Linfield players’ wild celebrations by the corner flag.

“We weren’t expecting to talk about this tonight Ross, but we’ve just had confirmation that Bala Town have beaten Greenock Morton on penalties in the other game tonight. That means no Scottish club in the final for the first time ever. Your thoughts?”

“It’s a massive shame, and I think it says a lot about the state of the game right now. Falkirk are midtable in the Championship, looking to get to a cup final, and they’ve got what, 2,000 fans here? They aren’t bothered. Then you look at what they’re putting on the pitch, and you can see why. The football was poor, the players don’t look like they’ve met each other before, it’s pitiful.”

“Has the Challenge Cup served its purpose do you think? If the idea was to give clubs from Wales and Northern Ireland the opportunity to play stronger opponents, and now they’re winning the competition…”

“Nonsense, you can’t look at the players in the Championship and tell me your average Welsh Premier players would get into any of those teams on a technical level. They’re winning because they’re trying harder, they’re putting the effort in, and the Scottish boys out there just aren’t.”

“What do you put that down to?”

“That I don’t know. I don’t know whether it’s a money thing, but then there’s not much money outside the SPL. More than in Northern Ireland for sure, but even so. There’s just a malaise at the moment - you’ve seen it here, they’ll have seen it at Bala, you see it every weekend around the grounds. There’s a big problem that needs fixing, and I don’t know what the answer is.”

“Well if that is the case, I certainly hope someone has some answers, because failing to win your trophy is not a good look for the Scottish game right now. Just confirm, the Challenge Cup final will be played between Linfield of Northern Ireland and Bala Town of Wales. I wonder how many we’ll get at Firhill for that one.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, something needs to change.”

John McIntyre, chairman of the Scottish Professional Football League, addressed his board. The reality of a Linfield vs Bala final in the Challenge Cup, and the reaction in both the media and wider footballing public, had led to an extraordinary meeting being called in a bid to come up with some sort of solution - or at the very least calm the furore.

“As you know, we find ourselves looking at the Challenge Cup final being played out between two guest clubs, and people are not happy. Nor should they be. Given that we can’t simply cancel the final, does anybody have any suggestions as to where we go from here?”

An uncomfortable silence filled the room, nobody wishing to be the first to speak up. Ava Gordon, representing League One’s Ayr United, broke the tension.

“Could we lean into it with a rebrand? Expand the competition by bringing back the League of Ireland sides, maybe make it four from each league, slap the word Celtic or Gaelic in there somewhere, and I think a genuine international tournament generates more interest.”

“Interesting Ava, thank you. Any thoughts?”

“From a marketing point of view, Ava’s idea checks out,” came the response from non-executive director Hugo Cochrane. “But what we’re hoping to do in the first instance isn’t to get more eyes on, it’s to make our clubs more successful. Surely we don’t want to increase the incentives for the guests?”

“Hugo is right.” The next interjector was Sinclair Ross of Bonnyrigg Rose - Bala’s victims in the Third Round. “If anything, we need to go the other way. The only guaranteed way to make sure an SPFL team wins the trophy is to stop the guest gimmick completely.”

The chairman’s eyebrows shot up at Ross’ proposal, and he was quick to shoot it down.

“I understand the sentiment, but that will only lead to accusations of sour grapes. Besides which, we don’t want to damage the relationships with our friends at the IFA and FAW. I can’t countenance that as an option Sinclair, I’m sorry.”

The uneasy silence resumed. While the chairman was quite happy to let his colleagues sit in it indefinitely, the board’s chief executive was not. Isla Harrison spoke up.

“I’ll remind you now, the format is fixed for the next two years as per the contracts - so we aren’t going to be able to change anything overnight. I’m not prepared to risk our international relationships, so Mr Ross’ option is off the table. And while I agree that Mrs Gordon’s proposal risks this happening again, it does raise a further notion.”

“What would that be?” inquired McIntyre, his interest piqued by his colleague’s tone.

“Well,” replied Harrison, “if we agree to open up more spots for the Welsh and Irish sides and market it as a Celtic competition, it only seems fair to ask them to contribute to the running costs and prize pool, don’t you think?”

From modernfitba.com

Is Anybody Even Watching?

While there has been plenty of fire and fury in the press relating to the absence of a Scottish team in the Challenge Cup final, and a growing campaign in the media for yet another review of the national game from the grassroots up, the prospect of Linfield and Bala Town facing off in the Firhill showpiece had created yet another problem for the games’ administrators - there are going to be precious few there to actually see it.

To the cynic, this provides the perfect opportunity for the game to be airbrushed from history. After all, if a match is played behind closed doors, who can truly bear witness to its ever taking place? But for those running the show, and who were expecting to cover the costs of booking a century-old 10,000 seater stadium for their grand final, they need to get fans in seats by hook or by crook.

Even in a good year, the final of Scotland’s third-most important cup competition would attract struggle to hit a five-figure attendance - it has only done so twice since the turn of the century, and both instances were thanks to Rangers’ demotion to the lower leagues rather than any sudden interest in football outside the SPL. Livingston vs Alloa in 2015 drew less than 3,000 spectators, Raith Rovers vs Queen of the South in 2022 settled at about 4,500, and on the one previous occasion a guest team reached the final back in 2019, Connah’s Quay’s defeat to Ross County was witnessed by just 3,057 fans despite being held just a 20 minute drive away from the eventual winners in Inverness.

This time, distance is going to be far more of a problem. Linfield regularly pull around 3,000 in as the dominant force in Northern Ireland, but there remains the small problem of the Irish Sea between Belfast and Glasgow. The novelty of a new trophy to play for may well excite a portion of their support, but travel costs are not insignificant and so demand for tickets has so far remained low.

It’s a similar story in Bala, although on a very different scale. The Welsh Premier League outfit can only count on a weekly gate of around 200 for their home games at Maes Tegid - a figure which nonetheless represents around 10% of the town’s population. Such a figure could make it to Firhill on just a handful of supporters’ coaches, but the prospect of a near 600 mile round trip for a match their side is heavily favoured to lose is not one many are likely to take up.

And while there will always be neutrals looking for a day out at the football - an optimist may suggest the opportunity to see two unfamiliar sides do battle might heighten demand from this group - that will undeniably make up only a small percentage of the tickets sold. Corporate favours, sponsors’ tickets and those reserved for the ‘football family’ tend to be given away rather than paid for, all of which begs the question - how many tickets are actually going to be sold?

Estimates at this stage range from the pessimistic end of 600 to the more hopeful figure of only 30% full, with plenty of red and yellow seats left empty for the television cameras to focus on. Not only that, but the SPFL will be looking at a significant loss on their big day. In short, not a great look for anybody involved.

“Before you go Scot, we have to ask about the Challenge Cup final. I’m sure you’ll be aware that Linfield will play Bala Town - how do you feel about the fact that there is no Scottish team in the final?”

“Obviously it’s disappointing for the national game and for the SPFL sides that have done their best to get there. I’m sure both sides will put on a good show though, and it should act as an incentive for our teams to come back stronger next year.”

“Do you think it speaks of a lack of quality in the Scottish leagues? You’d expect a Championship side to be beating a team from the Welsh leagues, surely?”

“Maybe, but you have to remember that for that Welsh team it might be the biggest game of their season, and the home clubs are trying to juggle several different competitions. You can’t read too much into one cup competition in one season.”

“Are you happy with the way the current system serves your national team? Is the SPFL fit for purpose?”

“Again, I’m not sure we can be looking to overhaul the entire football pyramid on the basis of one Challenge Cup campaign. The fact is I’ve got an excellent group of players to choose from and work with. Scotland isn’t the biggest nation and we’re never going to have the talent pool of a Brazil or a Spain, but we’re in contention for tournament qualification and getting good results.

“That said, there is a drop in quality outside the SPL, and that makes it hard for young Scottish players to get meaningful minutes. There are the colt teams in the Lowland League but the standard isn’t as high there, and if you’re an SPL side looking to loan out your youngsters you want them to be playing at the best possible standard. Sometimes there’s a win-at-all-costs mentality down the leagues - these are proud clubs struggling to get by - and that isn’t always the best environment for young players to grow in.

“But if you ask the fans of Peterhead or Airdrie or Dundee what their priority for their club is, it’s their club - it’s not getting someone in the Scotland squad. That’s the same at any club in any country, and those of us fortunate enough to be in the national set-up have to work with it. So it’s not perfect, but it’s no different to what anyone else is working with.”

“We’re now joined live on air by Colin Caton, long-serving manager of Challenge Cup finalists Bala Town. First of all Colin, congratulations on making it to the final, you must be very proud.”

“Thanks Andrew, and yes - it’s a massive achievement for the club, and something we’re delighted with. At the start of the season we didn’t imagine we’d be in the running for the trophy, and yet here we are 90 minutes away.”

“What do you think your chances are against Linfield? They’re on course to win the Northern Irish Premiership again, and many would make them favourites.”

“We’re quite happy as the underdogs - I think every team we’ve faced has been favourites against us, but here we are. Linfield are a massive club and we’ve got a lot of respect for their achievements, but at the end of the day it’s a one-off final and we’ve got every chance of causing the upset. We aren’t kidding ourselves thinking it’ll be easy, but we’ll be well prepared.”

“Your  team picked up a good point away at Connah’s Quay yesterday, how is the cup final fitting into your own season? What are your hopes from here?”

“The New Saints are 11 points clear and closing in on the title, they’ve had a great season and we can only congratulate them and see how we can get the better of them next year. Unfortunately we went out of the Welsh Cup early on at Aberystwyth and League Cup against TNS, but that has meant we haven’t had to worry too much about fixture congestion. We’re fighting with Cardiff Met for the runners-up spot, and want to finish as strongly as we can.”

“I don’t know how much of the reporting you’ve read on this Colin, but there’s been quite the reaction to there being no Scottish team in the final, and it’s obviously evoked some strong emotions. Is it something you’re worried about? What’s your take on it?”

“I’ve not read much, but you can’t avoid it - and to be honest, I’m not sure what people are expecting me to do about it. We were invited to the tournament, we set out to win every game we play, and so far we’ve managed to do that. It doesn’t matter whether we’re playing Barry Town or Bayern Munich, we go out to play our game and hope that gets us the result. What am I supposed to do, tell the lads to roll over and be nice to the hosts?”

“You have to admit though Colin, it’s not a great look for the Scottish game is it?”

“I’m not disagreeing with you, but it’s also none of my concern. I’ve been managing this football club for more than a decade now, and that’s where my remit starts and stops - with Bala Town, not the state of Scottish football. If the SFA wants to use this as a reason to make changes then all power to them, but I also think it shows some pretty thin skin for people to be upset about us winning a few football matches. If we’re not supposed to try, why invite us?”

“What changes would you make to Scottish football?”

“Look, as I’ve just said, that’s not for me to decide. There are some very well-qualified and no doubt well-paid individuals who get to make those decisions, I’m fortunate enough to get to manage this football club. I’m not willing to get involved in the politics of it all, I’m sorry.”

“OK Colin, we’ll leave it there. Thanks again for joining us, and good luck in the final.”

“Thanks Andrew.”

From BBC Scotland Sport

Talks Take Place Over Challenge Cup Format

The SFA and SPFL have opened talks with the Irish Football Association (IFA) and Football Association of Wales (FAW) over the format of the Scottish Challenge Cup, with the hope of revamping the competition when the current contract expires.

The current format, which features two guest teams from each of Wales and Northern Ireland, is fixed for the next two seasons. Two guest teams - Linfield and Bala Town - will contest this year’s final at Partick Thistle’s Firhill Stadium, leading to a public outcry and concerns over the Scottish game and suitability of the tournament.

There have been rumours that the organisers are proposing an expansion of the tournament to include clubs from the Republic of Ireland, while some pundits have questioned whether cancelling the competition entirely would prove more beneficial for the SPFL clubs involved.

SPFL chief executive Isla Harrison told BBC Scotland Sport: “All parties are deeply proud of the Challenge Cup and what it has achieved. It has brought our three nations closer together in a unique footballing competition, and nobody wants to lose what we’ve worked hard to build.

“However it’s only right to review the format, explore our options and see how we can make things better - for the teams involved, for the fans, and for our commercial partners. We’re committed to making the tournament a success, and are hoping to produce an exciting and competitive event that will be a highlight of the footballing calendar.”

When the rest of the attendees had left the conference room, SPFL chairman John McIntyre turned to his chief executive, Isla Harrison.

“Isla, the statement you gave to the BBC was excellent. Have you considered a career in marketing?”

He smiled at his own humour as Miss Harrison - who had headed an international marketing division before being headhunted for her footballing post - gave a polite chuckle before responding.

“There’s a way of giving them what they want without telling them anything, and fortunately it’s fairly simple.”

“I wish it were all that straightforward. I’m still none the wiser as to where this is all heading.”

“It seems to me there are two clear options. Ava’s proposal, or closing the door.”

“You don’t think the status quo is viable?”

“No, not after this season. Had Morton won their shootout, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. But for the sake of our credibility, we have to do something.”

“Regrettably I suspect you’re right, which is a crying shame. I actually think the current system works rather well.”

“That may be, but this is a time for action. You realise there’s a chance you’ll have cast your deciding vote, don’t you? The room seems pretty divided.”

“I’m rather afraid it might come to that. Closing the door makes the format a lot simpler, but risks alienating our neighbours and frankly undoing a lot of our good work. Leading with Ava’s proposal makes the numbers somewhat unwieldy, and would mean we’d need significant sponsorship, which has so far eluded us.”

“People are always fond of what’s new, John.”

“You’re in favour of Ava’s proposal?”

“If it’s that or complete withdrawal, then yes I’m in favour. I don’t believe it’s a perfect option, but it’s better than the alternative.”

“And you’re confident we could deliver on a title sponsor?”

“I believe we could have one by the final whistle on Sunday if we made a decision tomorrow. Our Irish and Welsh colleagues will need convincing to dip into their pockets, but I’m sure they can be persuaded.”

“Isla, if we’re going to get anywhere with this I’m going to need you to be forceful tomorrow. In the room, and out of it. We don’t need this to be unanimous, but we mustn’t be seen to be divided. Can you do that?”

“Of course, Mr Chairman,” came her smiling reply.

“We can’t finish the show without mentioning the Challenge Cup final this weekend, although I think it’s fair to say there are plenty of important people who wished we didn’t. Linfield and Bala then Chris, who wins it for you?”

“I mean if you compare pretty much anything about the two teams - their history, their players, the quality of their leagues - Linfield come out on top. Bala aren’t even a professional outfit, and I think it’ll be a one-sided affair. It’s a disgrace it’s come to this, mind.”

“I’d agree that Linfield are strong favourites, but let’s stick with that a minute - what’s so disgraceful about the invited teams reaching the final? What do the governing bodies need to do about it?”

“Oh I’m not blaming the organisers - not directly anyway. I just think it’s pathetic that we set up this competition for the SPFL sides, invite a couple of other clubs almost as a second thought, and then somehow we’re so bad that a side from Wales winds up in the final. If I’m a Championship or League One player and I get beaten by Bala, I’m embarrassed with myself.”

“How does it happen then? Are teams just not taking the competition seriously?”

“I don’t think they are, and to a point I can understand it. There’s only 10 teams in each division, so there’s a good chance you’re fighting at one end of the table or the other. Then there’s the FA Cup and League Cup, so it’s not at the top of your priorities. But at the same time, you’ve got to have a bit of professional pride. If you’re going through the motions and picking up your paycheck, of course you’re going to get beaten.”

“Should there be more incentives in that case? Is money the solution?”

“It shouldn’t be - and if you bump the prize money up here, you have to do it for every other competition as well. As far as I see it, it’s the players and clubs themselves that have to take responsibility for this one. At the end of the day it’s a trophy up for grabs, and that’s one of the biggest markers of success in sport. If you’re getting beaten by a little village in Wales, I think you have to be asking some serious questions about your own commitment before you start questioning the FA.”

“Do the governing bodies have any responsibility in your eyes?”

“For this specifically, no. In general, absolutely - resources have gone in the wrong places for years, there have been countless reviews without any change, the same names rotate around the leadership positions - you’ve heard all this before. But the Challenge Cup? No, that’s squarely on the teams taking part as far as I’m concerned, and this should be a kick up the backside for them.”

“Back to the game itself though, you’re predicting a Linfield win?”

“Yes, and they’ll thoroughly deserve it - as will Bala if they surprise us all. But if the backlash means they don’t get invited back or the whole thing gets scrapped, it’ll be a crying shame. It’s time for our own teams to sort themselves out before we start looking for someone to blame.”

From the Daily Record

Linfield Shrug Off Controversy to Claim Challenge Cup

Northern Irish champions Linfield brushed aside vocal protests against the competition’s organisers as they defeated Bala Town to lift the Challenge Cup at Firhill.

An own goal from Rhys Henderson and a second half double from Ciaran Gallagher were enough to beat the Welsh underdogs, with David Healy’s side making history as the first guest team to lift the trophy.

With just 1,100 fans making their way to Maryhill and two clearly mismatched teams, the game had the feeling of a pre-season friendly rather than a controversial cup final. Once Henderson deflected a low cross past his own goalkeeper midway through the first half, it was evident that Bala were not going to be able to put up much of a fight.

Other than Gallagher’s superbly taken second goal - a curling strike from the edge of the penalty area - the game was most notable for the protests of one group of supporters, who held placards demanding the resignation of the SPFL board, deriding the presence of the guest teams, and decrying the death of Scottish football. Given the lack of supporters in the stands, their protests were loud and clear.

They may also be acted upon - representatives from the SFA and SPFL have been meeting with their Irish and Welsh counterparts in a bid to establish the format of the competition in future years, with abolition rumoured to be one of the suggested options.

Irrespective of the drama surrounding the competition’s future, there could be no stopping the celebrations of the Northern Irish giants, with Healy rightly delighted with his side’s achievement.

“It’s a great day for the club and for Northern Irish football, we’ve done ourselves proud today. To come out so strong in a cup final is testament to the lads, they executed the plan perfectly and got their rewards. Credit to Bala for a hard fought game, but we were so good today, it was great to watch.

“I know there’s been some chatter about whether or not we should even be here, but the way I see it, it’s been a great chance for us to prove ourselves against different opposition. We’ve taken out two Championship sides, our domestic rivals, an SPL reserve side - I don’t think anyone can claim we don’t deserve it. It’s a great day for the lads, and I’m sure they’ll celebrate hard tonight.”

While the Blues celebrate their historic triumph, attention now turns to the game’s decision-makers. With a resolution expected in the coming days, the SPFL has the opportunity to turn one of the more embarrassing chapters in their recent history into something more positive. Given their previous record, we’ll believe it when we see it.

Love this, Dave. On a realistic note, the SPFL could do what Americans did with the Little League baseball World Series -- have one bracket for the host country and another for the world.  Then it really is a "challenge" cup.

Thank you gents, I appreciate the kind words. The dual bracket approach is an intriguing one 10-3 - not one in Scottish minds this time!
--

“Thank you Mr Ross, you’ve made your point quite clearly. Now we have a second proposal to consider, and I understand, Mrs Gordon, that you’re able to give us a few more details than yesterday?”

“Thank you Mr Chairman, that’s correct. My proposal is rather in the opposite direction to Mr Ross’ here - rather than  reduction from the current 54 teams to 48, I’m suggesting an expansion of the competition to 64 clubs. That would be the 30 SPFL sides, six each from the Highland and Lowland Leagues, a ‘B’ team from the 12 SPL clubs, plus 10 guests. This would be three each from Wales and the Republic of Ireland, with four from Northern Ireland to honour Linfield’s triumph.”

“Mrs Gordon, that would involve some significant changes compared to Mr Ross’ format. How do you envisage this working?”

“Of course - this would require six knockout ties, and I’d propose all clubs enter at the first round, with guest clubs ineligible to face one another until the second. This would mean that a Championship club would play one more match to win the trophy than under the current system, but would remove any accusations of favouritism.”

“And the finances?”

“If I may, Ava?”

“Of course, Isla.”

“According to Ava’s proposal, the competition would continue to be funded proportionally by each federation - which would be divided four ways rather than three with the inclusion of the Republic of Ireland, thus lowering each country’s costs. Additionally, I have title sponsorship proposals from three international firms, all worth more than double our previous arrangement with Tunnock’s.”

“That is quite the case, Miss Harrison. Are there any conditions to these sponsorships?”

“Only one of them has made a further request, and is something Mrs Gordon has alluded to previously. SSE would like to be the title sponsor of the Celtic Challenge Cup. The other two companies have no such preference. These proposals are only preliminary, but I am confident that any of the three can be secured with few complications.”

“Mrs Gordon, do you have anything to add?”

“Nothing, Mr Chairman.”

“In that case, I thank you both for laying out the proposal. I’m glad to see such cooperation amongst colleagues. Given that there are only two competing proposals, I suggest we move to voting. Does anybody wish to abstain? No abstentions, very well. All in favour of the proposal forwarded by Mr Ross?..."

From BBC Scotland Sport

Irish Clubs To Return in Challenge Cup Revamp

Teams from the Republic of Ireland will return to the Scottish Challenge Cup from the 2026/7 season after representatives from the Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Northern Irish football governing bodies agreed wholescale changes to the competition.

The new format will see a total of 64 clubs will take part in what has been rebranded the Celtic Challenge Cup. This will include all 30 SPFL sides, 12 clubs from the Highland and Lowland leagues, under-21 teams from each of the 12 SPL clubs, and 10 from the three guest nations - three each, with a floating fourth spot given to the guest nation whose representative most recently lifted the trophy.

SPFL chief executive Isla Harrison said: “We’re delighted to announce the expansion and rebranding of the Celtic Challenge Cup in partnership with our colleagues in the Republic of Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland. All four nations are excited by the prospect of competing against varied opposition, and we hope the Challenge Cup can provide an excellent spectacle for fans of all clubs involved.

“We’ve seen this season how strong our guest clubs can be, and felt it was only fair to recognise that. We have great memories of matches involving our friends from the Republic of Ireland from 2016 to 2020, and are looking forward to bringing them back into the competition.

“All four nations agree that the new format will bring exciting football, opportunities for player development, and greater commercial potential for the clubs. We’re sure the new Celtic Challenge Cup will be a resounding success.”

BBC Scotland understands that energy firm SSE has agreed to be the title sponsor of the rebooted competition, the first company to do so since Tunnock’s in the 2019-20 season - although the tournament was sponsored by the SPFL Trust from 2021-2024.

The revamp brings to an end several weeks of speculation over the purpose of the competition, with its future brought into the spotlight after Northern Irish giants Linfield and Welsh Premier outfit Bala Town booked their place in this year’s final - which Linfield won 3-0 - the first time since its foundation in 1990 that no Scottish team contested the trophy.

The new format will come into effect in the 2026/7 season, with the existing schedule set for the next two seasons.
--

That's all for this short story - a single in-game result that took me down a 'what if' rabbit hole that hopefully you've found interesting! Thanks for reading, and see you in the next one!