Movement of Inverted Wingback (Bug or Intended?)

The movement of the Inverted Wingback doesn´t work in some formations. If another player is positioned in the space where the Inverted Wingback would otherwise cut into, he instead just acts as a normal Wingback - staying wide. There is also no difference if the other player has a 'stationary' player role like Central Midfielder or a 'mobile' role like Box-to-Box-Midfielder.

I provided 2 examples in the pictures below.

Tactic 1.jgp - Rice (16) and Fernandez (8) are blocking the space for Williams (33) and Frimpong (5). Even tough Fernandez is set as a Roaming Playmaker and there would be space available in the area of the opponents number 8.

Tactic1.thumb.jpg.f71c6f4943e281e8df712e167997c715.jpg

Result Tactic 1.jpg

Tactic 2.jpg - Same setup but midfielder and Wingbacks are pushed up one position.

Tactic 2.jpg

Result Tactic 2.jpg

The whole reason behind this problem for me is the following. I want to play a 3-4-3 formation where inverted wingbacks occupie the space between my opponents midfield and defence and to provide underlaping runs for my inverted wingers/inside forwards. Now if i play with with 2 midfielders in the DM position i can't effectively press and hold on to the ball because my midfield is to deep. In this case the Inverted Wingbacks (when positioned in the more advanced position) actually occupie the space i described. On the other hand if i play with my 2 midfielders in the CM position in get more possesion and control over the game but then the Wingbacks don't cut inside as can be seen in the pictures. If i drag them back one position they dont fill the space they should.

Apart from that i still struggle with how narrow Inside Forwards and/or Inverted Winger stay without the ball.

Is the behaviour of the Inverted Wingbacks as I described intended or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Adelrahn
Rearange Pictures

• SI Staff

I'll take a look at this and see what I can do to improve this side of things - just to double check, you want the inverted wingback to be the person making the attacking runs, not filling into space where another player from midfield has moved forward (which is the more common role for such a player) ... if this is the case if I added an 'attacking inverted wingback' role as well as retaining the existing one would that suit you (as most people seem relatively happy with things so I'd prefer not to please you and upset another set of people, this is always a balancing act in that regard).

Maybe you could make this role available also in the midfield position on the wings. In this position we only have the inside winger as a player to cut inside and he primarely does it only when in position. But a player that cuts in more aggressively and possesion plays verry narrow with and without the ball but without possesion moves back to the wing would be something uniqe. Just a suggestion, no pressure ;)

On 08/06/2023 at 23:50, Adelrahn said:

Tactic 1.jgp - Rice (16) and Fernandez (8) are blocking the space for Williams (33) and Frimpong (5). Even tough Fernandez is set as a Roaming Playmaker and there would be space available in the area of the opponents number 8.

Tactic1.thumb.jpg.f71c6f4943e281e8df712e167997c715.jpg

Hi mate, if you put your two at IWB at DMRL position, they will move up than two DMCs. You may try. the movement of IWB at DLR and IWB at DMLR are not same.

28 minutes ago, RSeven said:

Hi mate, if you put your two at IWB at DMRL position, they will move up than two DMCs. You may try. the movement of IWB at DLR and IWB at DMLR are not same.

Hi. Yes i am aware of that. But i want my midfielders to be in the CM position so i have more control in midfield. 

If i put my IWB in the back four they end up behind my midfielders - but i want them in front of them. If i put the IWB one position further like you described, they don't invert because my midfielders are 'blocking' the space.

On 15/06/2023 at 14:53, Adelrahn said:

Hi. Yes i am aware of that. But i want my midfielders to be in the CM position so i have more control in midfield. 

If i put my IWB in the back four they end up behind my midfielders - but i want them in front of them. If i put the IWB one position further like you described, they don't invert because my midfielders are 'blocking' the space.

IWB at DMLR position will be in front of DMCs, but will be behind two MCs or two AMCs.

If you want IWBs go up, you can set only one MC or one AMC. One MC will not block the way of IWB.

Edited by RSeven