Qualify multiple cup winners for continental cups

AQ

Hi! Can any of you help with continental qualification from domestic cups?

I've combined all the English, Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish, and Irish teams into one British & Irish pyramid under England nation rules, with five tiers and multiple regional divisions. I've maintained the Welsh Cup, Scottish Cup, (combined) Irish Cup, and English League Cup, along with an Isles Cup to replace the FA Cup. 

I want all the cup winners to qualify for Europe, but I can't get it to work. I've tried Fate Actions (Set Continental Cup) and Continental Cup Rules. No dice. 

How do I make the cup winners qualify for Europa League and/or Europa Conference League? 

Thank you for your help. 

You can't. European qualification is handled in the rules for the European competitions themselves (and is hardcoded, can't be edited), not in nation rules.

Additionally, Set Continental Cup doesn't qualify teams for continental cups. It's a flag to show that they're competing in it right now. It's assigned when they enter the continental cup by the continental cup itself, and is removed when they're knocked out/win it. Trying to force continental qualification like that usually breaks continental competitions too.

You could potentially make them qualify through the other domestic cups by assigning those cups to those specific nations and changing all the relevant team's Continental Cup Nation. But that would also disqualify them from ever qualifying through the league.

Thanks, Rusty. Very grateful for the explanation. You've saved me from dumping more hours in into fixing that. 

Follow-up question: 

I've correctly set the respective teams to their respective continental cup nation in Details. (I didn't have that correct before.) 

Now, the Scottish/Irish/Welsh teams are qualifying for Europe, but it seems to be almost at random. The only pattern I can detect is that division-winners don't qualify. (I'll accept that it takes the highest clubs from each of those nations, but I'd at least like it to be consistent in how it works.)

Any ideas on what might be causing that? 

12 hours ago, AQ said:

Thanks, Rusty. Very grateful for the explanation. You've saved me from dumping more hours in into fixing that. 

Follow-up question: 

I've correctly set the respective teams to their respective continental cup nation in Details. (I didn't have that correct before.) 

Now, the Scottish/Irish/Welsh teams are qualifying for Europe, but it seems to be almost at random. The only pattern I can detect is that division-winners don't qualify. (I'll accept that it takes the highest clubs from each of those nations, but I'd at least like it to be consistent in how it works.)

Any ideas on what might be causing that? 

If you've moved them to the English pyramid it shouldn't really be taking any of them for continental cup qualification. I guess since you completely emptied the leagues of those nations that it's forced to look elsewhere for them or something? Not sure much can be done about that, the game isn't really setup to work that way. The simplest option would just be to have them use England as their continental cup nation and have them all share the 4/2/1 UCL/UEL/ECL places that England gets.

One option I've considered, albeit not actually tried, to maintain separate continental places while having a combined league is to use secondary divisions for all the nations in it. Have 1 be the combined league and the other be individual national leagues (not sure which would have to be set as the primary/secondary though) then set those national leagues to have no actual fixtures and to just transfer results from the league and/or cup instead. Those national leagues will be used for the continental cup qualification then.

It would be a fair bit of work, and pretty fiddly, with no guarantee it would actually be successful though.

Edited by rusty217