Too many shots not on target

Having far too many shots from outside the box or too many getting blocked. Most of my players have the 'Shoot less often' instruction ticked as well.

Am i too attacking with my mentality? Never massively liked using 'work ball into box' but should i be?

20230530210917_1.jpg

18 minutes ago, yorkie87 said:

Having far too many shots from outside the box or too many getting blocked. Most of my players have the 'Shoot less often' instruction ticked as well.

Am i too attacking with my mentality? Never massively liked using 'work ball into box' but should i be?

20230530210917_1.jpg

You've got too many players trying to score for themselves and not enough invested in the buildup play, resulting in more shooting. 

Attacking mentality could be toned down as well.

19 minutes ago, yorkie87 said:

What changes would you suggest? In first season with arsenal with no signings if that gives you an idea on the players I have. Thanks for your help, 

• Inside forwards are forwards, even if they're on support. Either drop the AF (Gabriel Jesus could be an excellent DLF for a bit of hold up play to work the ball around a bit more) or one of the IF for a IW/W(s). 
  • The AF isn't a great choice on a highlands system, he'll have less space to run into.
  • I would suggest have two of the front 4 be on support duties. 
  • Have the duty of the player behind the striker (in the 10 position) opposite of the striker (for example DLF(a), AMC(s) or vice versa). This is just a good general rule of thumb. 
  • Is anyone providing width on the left hand side of the pitch? Asking the FB(s) to run wide with the ball can help the IF(a) cut in if you stick with that role on the left. 
  • No BPD/SK might be damaging to your transitions. I'd recommend a SK(d) and one BPD as a starting point. 
  • Switch down to Positive mentality if things are feeling too rushed.
  • Double pivot of blank DM roles can be great, and I like the staggered s/d mentalities particularly. Make sure the players have the traits/PIs as well to do what you'd like them to in that role (play make/ball win etc). 

Hopefully some of that helps! I don't want to overly influence your tactical vision so just take them as suggestions, outside of the front 3 tweaks which I think really do need addressing :) 

Jesus as a DLF-A is working great thank you. Changed Odegaard to a AM-s as well. 

Could i ask please what you mean by damaging my transitions in terms of the SK-d and BPD please?

Also ive moved the 2 dm into the cm slot as a CM-d and CM-s. In another thread it got recommended i moved them back into the DM slots but not sure what it offers by them being deeper?

6 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

Jesus as a DLF-A is working great thank you. Changed Odegaard to a AM-s as well. 

Could i ask please what you mean by damaging my transitions in terms of the SK-d and BPD please?

Also ive moved the 2 dm into the cm slot as a CM-d and CM-s. In another thread it got recommended i moved them back into the DM slots but not sure what it offers by them being deeper?

You want players capable of progressing the ball from your defensive third of the pitch through dribbling or passing. A BPD or capable GK can help provide that. SK will help you w/ your high defensive line as well. Not having that outlet will make you less dangerous in possession when you're in build up phases of play. Against a strong team, it could mean you'll struggle to break out and attack. Since you're trying to play out from the back, it's super important to have roles/players/traits capable of doing more than pass it sideways. 

On double pivots, they've reworked them so they'll adjust to the space behind/infront. I'd go with the double DM pivot unless you're looking to win the ball back high up on the pitch and contain the opposition. Double DM will offer more traditional cover and make you less susceptible to the counter attack. It's a stylistic choice more than anything. 

As a general rule of thumb if they're both in the CM Strada, I'd have them both hold position (no roles like a MEZ). While in the DM Strada there's a bit more flexibility in the partnerships you can choose. Double blank DM(s/d) like you have is great, just make sure the players have the PIs/traits/attributes to execute whatever it is you're looking for them to do. You could also try having 1 DM(d) and a more expansive role like the SV (a defensive BBM). If you're struggling with the double pivot, a good fallback point for either Strada is the DLP(s), BWM(d).

Edited by Cloud9

On 31/05/2023 at 00:55, Cloud9 said:

The AF isn't a great choice on a highlands system, he'll have less space to run into.

What do you mean by highlands system?

Just had a game where i had 34 shots with only 9 on target. Won 1-0 against Cardiff which was a cup replay as i Drew 0-0 at their place as i obviously didnt score. Dialled the mentality down to positive and its still happening loads. To the point where im not enjoying the game at all. Please please please can someone help me its driving me mad.

Edited by yorkie87

3 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

Just had a game where i had 34 shots with only 9 on target. Won 1-0 against Cardiff which was a cup replay as i Drew 0-0 at their place as i obviously didnt score. Dialled the mentality down to positive and its still happening loads. To the point where im not enjoying the game at all. Please please please can someone help me its driving me mad.

As a big team, little teams are going to park the bus against you. You're probably taking shots outside the box against Cardiff because they're narrow/compact/low lines. Lowering the tempo, taking counter press off, stretching the pitch and ticking "hit crosses early" is my go to when this happens.

The AMC is going to shoot from range, if you want someone to purely unlock defences, you could try out an AP in that slot.

IF will also shoot from range. If it's effecting your game experience that much, you could try running a strike partnernship DLF + Poacher with  Martinelli as a solo wide player as an out and out Winger in an asymmetrical 4-3-3. 

Edited by Cloud9

This is my usual tactic and line up. The other pic is the 35 shot with only 10 on target. I have most players on shoot less often. Thank you all for your replies. I struggled with both the CM in the DM slot i couldnt find roles that would suit.

20230605155142_1.thumb.jpg.dc76ab6246d7c2cc9d5e0276db1a2def.jpg

20230605202652_1.jpg

1 hour ago, yorkie87 said:

This is getting embarrassing now, i'm trying everything...

20230607214447_1.jpg

20230607214542_1.jpg

Atttacking mentality + higher tempo + 3 players up front trying to score will lead to this

Try to play with a positive mentality  and/or reduce the tempo, with Saka as a IWsu instead of IFsu

On 07/06/2023 at 13:48, yorkie87 said:

This is getting embarrassing now, i'm trying everything...

20230607214447_1.jpg

20230607214542_1.jpg

Your players played well this game and they aren't match fit yet. You can't win all your games, let alone 5-0. XG is an indicator of chances created, but it doesn't mean everything. If the players aren't finishing they're either poor finishers or there's other problems. A great in form striker will over perform his XG and poor/struggling one will underperform. 

You can check the stats individually to see if one of your frontline is being esp wasteful and move him to a more supporting role.  It's up to you to manage them well to keep them firing. Keeping morale up and rotating the squad (which look like they could both use work) will go a long way to getting your elite level players to perform on match day. 

In general going high tempo counter press will be a trap in breaking down opposition, and again, Odegaard will much more effectively breaking down opposition as an AP.  Be patient and results will come :) 

Edited by Cloud9

This tactic now seems to be serving me better. Thanks for your help with it. Although my results away from home could be better. Any suggestions as to what would work here? Lower the line of engagement, changing WB-A to WB-S?